RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy 13th Birthday to my sweet girl Rain! She was my first Pit Bull, rescued from a shelter 13 years ago and has moved with me through many different cities, across a country and then across a huge pond... she always was beyond thrilled to explore a new adventure and adapted with ease. She has outlived both her brothers, perhaps because she wanted to start as an only dog and end as an only dog. She still acts like the puppy I adopted and runs around like a damn fool most of the time. I love little miss yoda ears... and in her old age honey badger sure as hell don't give a ****e.

Rain4mths2.jpg

148954_10101677095274443_1610261063_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
May me ask what company you used? me've heard good things about Vistaprint, but me was also looking into Zazzle (though not for business cards...at least not yet).

I used OvernightPrints. There are some not-so-savory reviews of them online, but mine turned out really well and they do the spot gloss treatment for free, which definitely ended up luring me in. I avoided Vistaprint, personally, because their cards are a little bit smaller than typical business cards and the ones I've seen (from friends, etc) seemed a bit wimpy.

Darn "aye" to "me" prank messed up my picture! >:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got to scrub in and assist with my first surgeries today at my new job! It was so awesome! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my patients today is owned by two human medicine residents. After my clinician and I returned to the room, they asked if I was interested in residency and then went on to say that the university should consider keeping me because I was so good in the exam room and I performed the most thorough physical exam they'd seen on their dog. It was really sweet and made me feel so good about what I'm doing with my life :)

Reactions: 6 users
Second time assisting with a birdie surgery (this time an egg-bound hadada ibis) and she survived the procedure even though her egg was necrotic (it looked awful) and nobody expected her to survive the anesthesia. She's not in the clear yet but it's a miracle that she made it today!

Reactions: 5 users
Please keep pirate speak. It makes me lolz.

Second time assisting with a birdie surgery (this time an egg-bound hadada ibis) and she survived the procedure even though her egg was necrotic (it looked awful) and nobody expected her to survive the anesthesia. She's not in the clear yet but it's a miracle that she made it today!
I love hadadas! I'm just being curious... what was the first surgery?

I love hadadas! I'm just being curious... what was the first surgery?
Shaft-tailed finch. I'm not sure what the exact term is, but she had a yolk that got stuck. The prep took way longer than the surgery because they ended up being able to aspirate the yolk without opening her up :)

Shaft-tailed finch. I'm not sure what the exact term is, but she had a yolk that got stuck. The prep took way longer than the surgery because they ended up being able to aspirate the yolk without opening her up :)
Cool! I was wondering if it was any old cases I was familiar with, but I guess not. Whole time I was there, we only ever had surgeries on legs and feet... got really close to seeing a yolk coelomitis surgery once, but then the bird died during anesthesia induction so it turned into a necropsy... and it sucked because she was a really special patient of mine that I had named after my grandmother (and, you know, she was a white dove, which meant she was automatically the best :))

The heartworm testing I organized today for about 20 dogs wasn't a complete disaster. Plus I drew blood and hit the vein on my first try. I've only drawn blood two times before.

Cool! I was wondering if it was any old cases I was familiar with, but I guess not. Whole time I was there, we only ever had surgeries on legs and feet... got really close to seeing a yolk coelomitis surgery once, but then the bird died during anesthesia induction so it turned into a necropsy... and it sucked because she was a really special patient of mine that I had named after my grandmother (and, you know, she was a white dove, which meant she was automatically the best :))
I can imagine, there are a lot of leg and foot disabilities among the hospital birds. It seems like recently the cases have been more egg related stuff. There was also an egg-bound golden pheasant, but I wasn't there the day they did her surgery. I believe she survived the surgery but died later from GI complications.
Aw, that's sad :( I think someone said Sergio is their last white dove and they're not planning on getting any more :(

I can imagine, there are a lot of leg and foot disabilities among the hospital birds. It seems like recently the cases have been more egg related stuff. There was also an egg-bound golden pheasant, but I wasn't there the day they did her surgery. I believe she survived the surgery but died later from GI complications.
Aw, that's sad :( I think someone said Sergio is their last white dove and they're not planning on getting any more :(
Noooo!!! Martha? I think she was the only golden pheasant we had :(.
Yeah we used to have a whole loft of white doves but they weren't very cost effective to keep since they didn't do outdoor bird shows anymore and just used them for weddings, so they sent them to a sanctuary. Plus they liked to have crazy neurologic disease outbreaks. So we were just left with four in the hospital. Hilda was the one who died in surgery, I adopted Minaj (she's the one in my avatar), and Winky died suddenly. So now it's just Serg. And I think she likes it better that way.

Noooo!!! Martha? I think she was the only golden pheasant we had :(.
Yeah we used to have a whole loft of white doves but they weren't very cost effective to keep since they didn't do outdoor bird shows anymore and just used them for weddings, so they sent them to a sanctuary. Plus they liked to have crazy neurologic disease outbreaks. So we were just left with four in the hospital. Hilda was the one who died in surgery, I adopted Minaj (she's the one in my avatar), and Winky died suddenly. So now it's just Serg. And I think she likes it better that way.
I think so, I'm not sure about her name, but they only ever mentioned one female golden pheasant. That's cool that you were able to adopt one of the doves!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear god I just started game of thrones.

Reactions: 2 users
What have I been doing with my life until now.

Guess who just convinced her roomie to watch episode 1 last night? I'm pumped for season 4 to start Sunday!!

Starting the first steps toward my dream as a Vet Tech! Attending Stanbridge College in Irvine, CA check them out for all of you who are looking:

(Edited to remove the ad video - c'mon, not what SDN is for.)

That's nice, but a: you posted a link to that in another thread already, so I'm starting to wonder if you are somehow affiliated with the school and you are pushing it for that reason, and b: none of that matters anyway because this is a forum full of pre-VETERINARY students that have no reason to attend a technical school.

Last edited:
The show is great but the books are AMAZING!!! Long reads but definitely worth it!

^^ Yes. A thousand times yes.

And you get the added benefit of being prewarned about whats coming when you watch the show. And enjoying the reactions of others who see the crazy stuff for the first time and you just sit there going, "You know nothing" because there's always more crazy stuff coming up

And you get the added benefit of being prewarned about whats coming when you watch the show. And enjoying the reactions of others who see the crazy stuff for the first time and you just sit there going, "You know nothing" because there's always more crazy stuff coming up

Exactly how I feel about this upcoming season!! Gonna be awesome.

Nobody spoil it though. I'm just watching the third season now thanks it being watchathon week on comcast, meaning free HBO shows on demand! Well, free with my parents' comcast password since I don't have cable... But sadly, this means I won't be watching season four for another year. Maybe I'll find time to read the books this summer...

Nobody spoil it though. I'm just watching the third season now thanks it being watchathon week on comcast, meaning free HBO shows on demand! Well, free with my parents' comcast password since I don't have cable... But sadly, this means I won't be watching season four for another year. Maybe I'll find time to read the books this summer...
I'm watching on comcast as well. Committing the next 10 hours of my life to this so I can get on schedule for tonight.

I hate Joffrey. I actually can not handle the stress of the battle of kings landing and it's starting

I'm watching on comcast as well. Committing the next 10 hours of my life to this so I can get on schedule for tonight.

I hate Joffrey. I actually can not handle the stress of the battle of kings landing and it's starting
Wish I could watch it tonight. Although with how season 3 ended, I'm not sure I could take anymore... just kill the characters I hate already, and stop killing the ones I like!

Edit: omg, I just realized I CAN watch it tonight. Thank you comcast! There goes studying for tomorrow's anatomy exam... it's bad enough that I spent all afternoon volunteering at our monthly free vet clinic...

Last edited:
Tonight: Watching my OTP hopefully keep forming <3 and badass Arya. Thank goodness for great friends with HBO!

Had a blast at the ECMAs tonight. We inadvertently ended up on the red carpet having the paparazzi guys snapping pictures of us at a mile a minute. Also, I joked about how I was going to find myself an up and coming musician while I was there...and I DID. :smuggrin:

The ones I'm deeply attached to are still kicking. Well at least I think they after finishing the last book....
I'm can't say I'm all that deeply attached to any particular characters (except maybe Arya). I happen to like a lot of them, which is I suppose the problem... because inevitably some of them must die... it's just the heart wrenching ways in which they kill them that gets to me :( Plus, once they're dead, they're not on the show anymore, and that's sad, because they're entertaining.

Had a blast at the ECMAs tonight. We inadvertently ended up on the red carpet having the paparazzi guys snapping pictures of us at a mile a minute. Also, I joked about how I was going to find myself an up and coming musician while I was there...and I DID. :smuggrin:
Not to sound like a creeper, but you looked amazing!

That feeling when your new toy arrives and you buy all sorts of stuff for it and can't stop thinking about spending some serious quality time on fun.....that is always a huge rave for me.

Love my new bow. :love:

That feeling when your new toy arrives and you buy all sorts of stuff for it and can't stop thinking about spending some serious quality time on fun.....that is always a huge rave for me.

Love my new bow. :love:

Not going to lie I was not sure where this post was going for a second...

Reactions: 15 users
Found housing for summer that will let me bring my cats! I'm so thankful because my ear-tipped male has gotten so much worse with people. He doesn't even recognize my parents and hides when they come over. I was getting worried that he'd have to live with them and be miserable all summer

I got an A in the final anatomy class, and I never have to take an anatomy exam again!

Reactions: 6 users
I JUST GOT THE VET HOSPITAL INTERNSHIP AT DISNEY WORLD!!! ecstatic!

Reactions: 17 users
I have to find a researcher who will teach me how to science, so I can do science for credits. :thumbup:

I was told this would be really really hard because everyone is so busy, and that I should send out 10-30 applications at once and hope for one response if I'm lucky. Of the first two researchers/professors I contacted, both got back to me right away and want me to visit for an interview. I love my college and the professors here!