RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got to touch a snow leopard this morning! :D My life is now complete and all of my childhood dreams have come true.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
DONE with second year! Wahoo!

Just want to rave that I have gotten a THIRD email today about another summer job! I don't know why but all the employers have contacted me directly. None of them are related to vet med, but they sound really fun and pay pretty good. Now I just have to decide if I want to work with pre-k students with PE and science projects or at a youth golf camp! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I splurged and got a Macbook Pro, actually I got a ridiculously good deal. OMG why did I not do this sooner?

Reactions: 3 users
So I splurged and got a Macbook Pro, actually I got a ridiculously good deal. OMG why did I not do this sooner?
I just took out a loan to get a MacBook Pro.. Since my old school white
MacBook is dead :( Did you get their $150 off deal they were having for students??

If you're looking into it this was the best deal I have found by far! I paid 1225 after the 50 dollars off in store and 150 discount for being a student for 13" Pro with retina display 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. On Apples website this thing is over 1600 bucks.

Yes, through Apple. I hadn't realized Best Buy was having a sale too...curses...
Yeah! I actually just got the email the other day from them for $150 off all MacBooks and $75 off surfaces and some other deals. I have a $50 gift card too I'm thinking I'll probably just get it with best buy..

My summer research job is going to be FABULOUS. :D Already been invited to sit in behavior consults and encouraged to leave to pop into the exotics service if anything interesting walks in. Seems like it's going to be very laid back and be a great learning experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
part of our area has a huge blackout from a power line exploding/catching fire. i am sooooo glad that it doesnt effect me. and i have yummy m&m brownies. and my dog and i went for a walk at sunset on the beach. i live such an amazing life :)

I don't know if this is a rave, more of a "confused observation"...but I honestly don't understand this weather...it's been in the 60s/50s/40s and rainy the past couple of weeks. Today the high is 80. Tomorrow it goes back to the 60s....:eyebrow:

I don't know if this is a rave, more of a "confused observation"...but I honestly don't understand this weather...it's been in the 60s/50s/40s and rainy the past couple of weeks. Today the high is 80. Tomorrow it goes back to the 60s....:eyebrow:
Blame the thunderstorms.

SO & I are closing on our first home in about a week! Also starting my summer job at with an equine clinic in less than a week!
Now to keep packing....

I still have one final and a research paper left to complete in the next 12 hours... but I'm am so excited that physics is finally over! Hallelujah! :D

It's been warm and sunny here, like summer came early. I figured this was a good time to walk around and explore downtown, without wearing a hood or raincoat. Of course there was a downpour and hailstorm that lasted a good 20 minutes, about the entire duration of my walk from the streetcar to where I was going. Confused weather like this is pretty normal here though.:laugh:

One of my really good friends just contacted me saying she's going to be in town this weekend and wants to meet up! I haven't seen her in about a year and wasn't sure I'd get to see her before moving to TN!

I made it home! And my dad is basically hiring me as "property manager"--he's going to pay me to deal with all the ebay-ing old items, organizing the attic, and calling people to get stuff done at the new house sort of thing.

Today, I bought a new pair of workout tights that are not only ruched and really adorable, but also affordable and they HAVE POCKETS. Like legitimate pockets I can fit my whole hand in. I'm seriously in love.

Today, I bought a new pair of workout tights that are not only ruched and really adorable, but also affordable and they HAVE POCKETS. Like legitimate pockets I can fit my whole hand in. I'm seriously in love.
Those sound really awesome... Where'd you get them?

Marshalls! They're Kyodan brand. I just googled that and apparently there are rumors that they're by the same people who make lululemon clothes. The pockets definitely look similar to lulu crops....
Thanks! I'm going to have to look into that... Decent pockets are so rare

So yesterday I was working outside, and unfortunately found our mama cat that had 2 kittens lying in the road because someone ran her over. I looked and looked for the kittens but couldn't find them.

Flash forward to today when I was making dinner, and I saw our horse walking down the road (she's an escape artist). I took her back to the barn... and heard some noises in the hay mound. I returned with a flashlight and found the two kittens, and they were still alive and very hungry! While I have no clue how much to feed them or how to effectively get them to nurse (I have nooo idea how to nurse kittens so I'm definitely calling the vet in the morning), I'm so happy I found them in good condition. :)

So yesterday I was working outside, and unfortunately found our mama cat that had 2 kittens lying in the road because someone ran her over. I looked and looked for the kittens but couldn't find them.

Flash forward to today when I was making dinner, and I saw our horse walking down the road (she's an escape artist). I took her back to the barn... and heard some noises in the hay mound. I returned with a flashlight and found the two kittens, and they were still alive and very hungry! While I have no clue how much to feed them or how to effectively get them to nurse (I have nooo idea how to nurse kittens so I'm definitely calling the vet in the morning), I'm so happy I found them in good condition. :)
Kitten milk replacer about every two hours, keep them warm, and be sure to stimulate them to urinate and defecate. I'm sure you will get some other suggestions as well but those are the first few that come to mind for me. Good luck with them!

Thanks VetAsh! I knew about the stimulation, and fed them a little bit of all-species milk replacer with an eye dropper that we use for our goat kids (that's all I have for tonight unfortunately). They stopped crying and are resting, so I'm hoping that's a step in the right direction.

Just called my insurance on a whim about rabies vaccinations and I was told that the shots are covered! I know I'm a year early, but I'd rather get them done now before my insurance potentially changes.

Aaaaaand I went back to my volunteering spot today and got to watch a Neuro consult on a llama with brain stemmy issues.

Just called my insurance on a whim about rabies vaccinations and I was told that the shots are covered! I know I'm a year early, but I'd rather get them done now before my insurance potentially changes.

Aaaaaand I went back to my volunteering spot today and got to watch a Neuro consult on a llama with brain stemmy issues.
before you get them done, you should double and triple check that because our insurance company said the same thing originally. and then they were like wellll maybe. and then they ended up saying wellll it will go towards your deductible. only about a month elapsed in this time frame too.

One of the bacteriologists at school took my research to a conference a few weeks ago. I gave her some images and slides that I'd put together from my project last summer. As a thank you, she brought me back a reusable bag that turns into a fish, a googly eye fish pen (which I find way too entertaining) and a t-shirt from the National Aquarium. :D

Reactions: 3 users
I've gotten to go out to the barn around 5 times a week for the past month. I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of jumping again after taking several years off :D. Plus, the Haflinger I ride is absolutely adorable.

I am LOVING my externship! The doctors and techs are super awesome, love to teach, the cases are interesting, and they've made me feel right at home! I could definitely see myself doing an internship there. Sad that I only have 3 days left with this hospital. :( Then off to Boston!

Super proud of the dinner I made tonight. Makes up for failing my bovine practical.

Homemade spinach and asparagus pesto with seasoned shrimp.

Attachments

• 1400025271968.jpg
    1400025271968.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 1 users
That looks SO good!

Thanks! I was quite pleased with how it turned out. I wish I had started trying to actually cook in undergrad so I'd have a few go to recipes. Only issue is that my parents are now requesting that I make dinner for them this summer and I'm always just ready for bed after work.

My school brought puppies to our campus for finals week. ^_^

After telling me something I did wrong and assuring me he wasn't picking on me but wanted to help me learn, one of the vets at my new job said I've been doing a really good job... He may have only said it to make me feel better, but I'll take it!

i'm such a dork, but i just finished ordering my going away grenada presents for myself and i'm so excited :D collage blanket and a pretty necklace!

Got to spay a cat yesterday and it was super fun! Had lots of help from the surgeon with tissue handling and guiding where to put my ligatures, but actually got to do most of the surgery myself except closing the sub-q and skin (haven't quite mastered the intradermal pattern yet). And I feel like I really learned of great tips on how to tie a good quality knot.