RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My enthusiasm about this is super silly, but...

I have a TUBE of tomato paste coming in the mail today. A TUBE. Not a can that I'm going to open, use a tablespoon of, and then put in the fridge to go to waste because I forget to check for it when I make another recipe... a TUBE! With a twist top. :love:

Also a pair of new shoes and a tofu press are in the same package, I'm pretty psyched about those too. :) No more delicate balancing of a variety of books and soda cans on my tofu.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My enthusiasm about this is super silly, but...

I have a TUBE of tomato paste coming in the mail today. A TUBE. Not a can that I'm going to open, use a tablespoon of, and then put in the fridge to go to waste because I forget to check for it when I make another recipe... a TUBE! With a twist top. :love:

Also a pair of new shoes and a tofu press are in the same package, I'm pretty psyched about those too. :) No more delicate balancing of a variety of books and soda cans on my tofu.
Tomato paste in a tube is awesome! My jambalaya recipe only takes a tablespoon of tomato paste and I love the tube for that.

On a derm rotation with almost-Dr. @nyanko . That part is the Rave (and the amazing hours).....the 9 students, two technicians, 3 doctors and a room the size of my shower....not so much a rave. ;) I'm getting a bit worried that Nyanko is going to bring her hockey stick and beat the crap out of us tomorrow if we don't get more space. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On a derm rotation with almost-Dr. @nyanko . That part is the Rave (and the amazing hours).....the 9 students, two technicians, 3 doctors and a room the size of my shower....not so much a rave. ;) I'm getting a bit worried that Nyanko is going to bring her hockey stick and beat the crap out of us tomorrow if we don't get more space. ;)

Jeez woman, you're flying through those rotations!

This is a valid concern. Man, how they expect us all to fit in that room, crazy...

At least we have commandeered Fort Bad Kitty (thanks behavior service!).

Went back to visit my old work today and it was so great to catch up with everybody and see a lot of my old patients (and to find out that only one resident of our "nursing home" had died since I left last August). And I had to crack up when the vet asked me who I missed the most of the birds and I said it was our resident dove, and she basically said, "You always were a dove girl, you love those doves. You're a dove lover!" And I was trying really hard not to crack up because, well, obviously that's my name on here, and she of course doesn't know that. So I guess I named myself aptly...

At least we have commandeered Fort Bad Kitty (thanks behavior service!).

We may have feliway permeating through our BBB but at least I'm not sitting in "squeaky chair" or "can't get out of corner chair" or "just sit your a** on the floor cuz we don't have another chair - chair"

Jeez woman, you're flying through those rotations!

Two of them were one week rotations so not THAT speedy - but time is going by pretty quickly!

......ONWARD!

Reactions: 1 user
Got my Grenada necklace today, and i got an email containing my PADI professional dive #!!! So very excited about that :)

The Etsy shop in case anyone is interested, they do all sorts of states and countries :) Also, they were super FAST! I ordered this on 5/18!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
got to place my second iv catheter today, and also got to intubate for the first time for the kitty's dental! (/^_^)/ now, to try not to forget all these practical skills over the next few years... >_>

The bird vet I work for owns a distribution warehouse and I went there today and bought everything I need for a bird (which I'm getting soon!). I scored an amazing King's cage worth $300 for less than $150! I didn't break the bank and now I'm ready for when my feathered child arrives :)

Diagnosed a pyo, right sided heart failure, and feline asthma today. LIKE A BOSS!

Reactions: 5 users
The bird vet I work for owns a distribution warehouse and I went there today and bought everything I need for a bird (which I'm getting soon!). I scored an amazing King's cage worth $300 for less than $150! I didn't break the bank and now I'm ready for when my feathered child arrives :)
Yay congrats! What kind of bird are you getting?

Went back to visit my old work today and it was so great to catch up with everybody and see a lot of my old patients (and to find out that only one resident of our "nursing home" had died since I left last August). And I had to crack up when the vet asked me who I missed the most of the birds and I said it was our resident dove, and she basically said, "You always were a dove girl, you love those doves. You're a dove lover!" And I was trying really hard not to crack up because, well, obviously that's my name on here, and she of course doesn't know that. So I guess I named myself aptly...
Aw, that's awesome! How are they all doing? I miss it already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got to place my first IV catheter today in a dog! I have worked at this small animal clinic for almost 2 years now but mostly doing assistant stuff. Only lately have they started having me draw blood. I feel a little nervous that I won't have more technical skills going into vet school, but also I know I will have opportunities later on to practice, and maybe I can work during summers.

Aw, that's awesome! How are they all doing? I miss it already.
A few are looking a bit shabbier than last time I saw them (like poor Flipsy) and Hermie's still so very timid compared to when he lived downstairs (when he was the world's biggest pain in the butt), but I doubt much has changed since you left. And there's a penguin living in the hospital, which is a cleaning nightmare I'm glad I don't have to deal with!

A few are looking a bit shabbier than last time I saw them (like poor Flipsy) and Hermie's still so very timid compared to when he lived downstairs (when he was the world's biggest pain in the butt), but I doubt much has changed since you left. And there's a penguin living in the hospital, which is a cleaning nightmare I'm glad I don't have to deal with!
I would have loved to see Hermie before he got all nervous, I've been told he used to actually step up on people's hands. Bo moved in while I was still there...penguins are gross, man. How was Milo, if you saw her? When I left she was recovering from a humerus fracture. I'm hoping they'll let me continue the internship in the fall, but if not I'll be visiting anyway to talk to the vets and do mock interviews :)

I would have loved to see Hermie before he got all nervous, I've been told he used to actually step up on people's hands. Bo moved in while I was still there...penguins are gross, man. How was Milo, if you saw her? When I left she was recovering from a humerus fracture. I'm hoping they'll let me continue the internship in the fall, but if not I'll be visiting anyway to talk to the vets and do mock interviews :)
Milo's doing well. I think she's gonna be moving back upstairs soon, and I think they cleared her to work meet a patient again, which is great. And Hermie would only occasionally step up, generally only for french fries. But he used to be bold enough to steal bits of your lunch from you. He stole a chicken tender off my plate once when I walked away to get something. He also started to take a piece of pizza off my plate once while I was trying to take a picture of him coming in to steal my pizza... (yes, I still ate the pizza)
upload_2014-5-22_21-48-4.png

Milo's doing well. I think she's gonna be moving back upstairs soon, and I think they cleared her to work meet a patient again, which is great. And Hermie would only occasionally step up, generally only for french fries. But he used to be bold enough to steal bits of your lunch from you. He stole a chicken tender off my plate once when I walked away to get something. He also started to take a piece of pizza off my plate once while I was trying to take a picture of him coming in to steal my pizza... (yes, I still ate the pizza)
View attachment 181534
Oh my god, that is precious... at least from my perspective haha I'm sure that kind of behavior could get annoying, but I just can't imagine him being that bold!

Oh my god, that is precious... at least from my perspective haha I'm sure that kind of behavior could get annoying, but I just can't imagine him being that bold!
Oh yes... it got very annoying when he would fly out to the treatment table and poop on records or raid bowls of worms people had left out for medicating. We had a bit of a love-hate relationship. I'd yell at him in the morning, and make him elaborate enrichment boxes in the afternoon...

This is mainly a rave... Due to crazy veterinary bills and rising medical bills for me, I had to get a second job on top of my paid research position this summer and the occasional pet-sitting job. It is great as it is working from home for $12/hr as an independent contractor. I am analyzing videos for developmental company that makes pet products. However, it is VERY intensive and I feel like I keep messing it up. I really want to do a good job because they said after this one job is done they have a lot more they want my help on, which means more money!

If I wouldn't have found this, I probably would have had to take out another loan to pay for everything, so I'm very thankful I was able to procure something that lets me work around my other scheduled meetings and job.

Got my DIVEMASTER card in the mail today!!! :hardy:
FINALLY everything is falling into place! Got a call saying that I got the coordinator job for a city run golf camp this summer AND interviews and offered a pet/housing gig throughout the summer today. They have chickens and she gave me some fresh eggs! So cool and so excited

After one crazy busy day off, I got my porch furniture all assembled, lawn mowed, and now enjoying a beer on my back deck while the dog runs around the yard. I love owning a home <3

After one crazy busy day off, I got my porch furniture all assembled, lawn mowed, and now enjoying a beer on my back deck while the dog runs around the yard. I love owning a home <3
Minus a roommate ;)

hahaha, i read the first sentence and was like why yes, yes it is. except that i'm still doing this silly thing called vet school when i'd really rather just live on a tropical island and dive all day every day haha
My bad! And I'm going to miss your blog posts and pictures of the beautiful island :( !! But congrats on your certification :D

First real getaway vacation of my life!

Associated rant: My body hurts in so many ways I've never imagined from the 14 hrs total on the plane. I've been on many long international flights and I've never felt achy from it. Oh the joys of getting old. My SO goes "welcome to the 30's!" But I still have a year of my 20s left!!!!

Just checked my financial aid portal and was pleasantly surprised to see that I received a $5,000 scholarship for vet school! :3

Reactions: 4 users
Head trauma, slap happy, 4 emergencies adding up to 14 hours, on call again tomorrow... and I still love today thanks to amazing classmates and clinicians :)

i found a coffee table (sans glass top, but all I needed was the base anyway and could put a board on top), desk with hutch, and dining room cushy chair (turned desk chair) at our apartment complex dump today all in great shape :D = $7 spent on furniture for my new apartment! my roommate furnished most of the place including a bed, dresser, and side table for my bedroom! I am so super excited about all of my new free stuff and the money saved!!!:soexcited:

Head trauma, slap happy, 4 emergencies adding up to 14 hours, on call again tomorrow... and I still love today thanks to amazing classmates and clinicians :)
Oh snap!!! Head trauma?!? How'd that happen? At least your in good company to make the day better!!

Japan is my favorite country I've visited. Have lots of fun!

Unfortunately it was just for a layover. I'm in Thailand now, at the vet school in Bangkok. However, we do have about 12 hours to run around Tokyo on the way home so if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Unfortunately it was just for a layover. I'm in Thailand now, at the vet school in Bangkok. However, we do have about 12 hours to run around Tokyo on the way home so if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Woahhh, that's awesome. What are you doing over there?!

Whilst going through my closet at my parents' house, I discovered my burned collection of InuYasha CD-Rs. I know what I'm watching this summer! -prepares for the nostalgia feels-

Reactions: 3 users
Oh snap!!! Head trauma?!? How'd that happen? At least your in good company to make the day better!!

Hahaha it's really dumb... so dumb I'm not repeating the story, but I can confirm that no animals were involved and I am not seriously injured, although I will have a nice scar on my face.

I do really love food animal though. Like I said, I was here for 14 hours on Sat., 9 on Sun., and now I'm here all night for ICU duties on several patients and I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe my glasses because my eyes are pissed at me already in these contacts.

Hahaha it's really dumb... so dumb I'm not repeating the story, but I can confirm that no animals were involved and I am not seriously injured, although I will have a nice scar on my face.

I do really love food animal though. Like I said, I was here for 14 hours on Sat., 9 on Sun., and now I'm here all night for ICU duties on several patients and I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe my glasses because my eyes are pissed at me already in these contacts.

Hahaha, well glad your ok! I'm happy to hear you are enjoying FA so much. I'm definitely a small animal person so the thought of equine and FA rotations is terrifying, but you are giving me hope that it might not be so bad! One of these days before you graduate we need to grab a bite to eat so you can give me the clinics scoop!! It blows my mind that in less than a year we will be ranking our clinics rotations and all that jazz!

Hahaha, well glad your ok! I'm happy to hear you are enjoying FA so much. I'm definitely a small animal person so the thought of equine and FA rotations is terrifying, but you are giving me hope that it might not be so bad! One of these days before you graduate we need to grab a bite to eat so you can give me the clinics scoop!! It blows my mind that in less than a year we will be ranking our clinics rotations and all that jazz!

Yep, even small animal oriented people can enjoy food animal and equine! I think everyone's a little scared for various reasons though, and I definitely have classmates who hadn't worked extensively with dogs (though few and far between). Just remember though, an animal is an animal is an animal. My rotationmate was getting worked up about not hitting the jugular vein on one of those emergencies we had. Even though she has waaaay more large animal experience than me, I could see she was getting flustered and helped focus her back down to the basics - landmarks, hand placement, look for the rise and fall, and go! And she immediately got it. Even though it seems scary, you will know some stuff, and these rotations aren't going to be a total flop.

But yes, I agree, we should get some food and I can tell you about clinics before you have to rank things :)

ERMAGERD ELEPHANTS.

Today, I hung out with Asian elephants, an adult with a urinary problem and a juvenile with a foot injury.

@allygator13, I am doing some veterinary volunteer work in Thailand and Indonesia. Tomorrow we are heading to a shelter for a few days..we've been told to expect 1,200 to 1,300 dogs and about 300 cats which we will be examining and treating as well as doing some repairs for the shelter.

I'm really excited about working. We have seen 7 pets over our first 3 days and one of my clients today told me I'm the only vet they trust.

Also, I am allowing a high school student to shadow and I met her today. She was so excited and it was infectious.

Reactions: 18 users
I passed 3rd year of vet school... tbh I burst out crying when I saw my results... it has been an overly tough year and I am still doubting myself a lot.... I put a ridiculous amount of effort in and still barely pass, it is beginning to wear on me and make me question my ability tbh.... I should have been happy about passing but instead I was scared about my future ability to make it

this sucks

Reactions: 6 users
I passed 3rd year of vet school... tbh I burst out crying when I saw my results... it has been an overly tough year and I am still doubting myself a lot.... I put a ridiculous amount of effort in and still barely pass, it is beginning to wear on me and make me question my ability tbh.... I should have been happy about passing but instead I was scared about my future ability to make it

this sucks

First off, CONGRATS!!!! It is an accomplishment! You made it through alive!

Just you wait...I'm sure you'll kick butt in clinics....and while that doubt will probably always be nagging at you, I hope you have some days where you feel on top of the world. Those make everything worth it. :)

Ow ma gawd! I got to pass an orogastric tube in a false killer whale yesterday!!! Totally made my life. Going back home to my kitty cat totally relaxed and rejuvenated, and starting my new job on Mon :) life has not been this awesome in a long long time.

Reactions: 7 users
I keep raving about food... but oh my god, I made homemade mozzarella cheese today and it is AMAZING. The texture isn't perfect but it tastes so freaking yummy, I've eaten way more of it than I should. I'm going to make homemade pizza with it tomorrow and I'm pretty much salivating for it already.

Edit: Pizza was amazing. Homemade pita crust, roasted garlic white sauce, fresh mozza and lots of mushrooms. I'm stuffed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users