RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
because its really, really cold there ;)
Let me tell you though, it makes you really, really appreciate summer. I have never liked being hot and sweaty... and then I lived through last winter. Now I'm pretty much like, screw the A/C, I'm just going to keep my windows open all day long even if it's 80% humidity outside.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally Mizzou is out for the Summer!! So happy to get a full 8 weeks of no school!!!

To start this break off with a bang I'm going to rural Missouri with one of my vet school best friends to spend the weekend with her family! Then I'm headed home to Nashville for a week to be with my family! Then spending the rest of my summer in St. Louis working and doing PT to hopefully avoid needing a second knee surgery before school starts!

Finally Mizzou is out for the Summer!! So happy to get a full 8 weeks of no school!!!

To start this break off with a bang I'm going to rural Missouri with one of my vet school best friends to spend the weekend with her family! Then I'm headed home to Nashville for a week to be with my family! Then spending the rest of my summer in St. Louis working and doing PT to hopefully avoid needing a second knee surgery before school starts!
Your summer is only 8 weeks?

I realize this is an odd thing to be raving about, but I was actually able to call, on the telephone, to make an appointment today without being a total nutcase! My job is helping me get over my phone call phobia, as I was hoping it would. It's silly really, that I've been able to talk on the phone in work settings for years (albeit always very nervously), but get paralyzed with fear trying to do it in my personal life. Having job that requires me to answer phones and call doctors pretty much all day long was just what I needed to get me over this hump. I feel like I have been the conquering hero of anxiety these past couple years pushing myself through little steps to get past all this nonsense, and I'm finally starting to feel like I can have a normal, functional life. Which also means less depression. :D Now, if only I was able to display this much will power in choosing not to eat dessert all day and actually getting schoolwork done earlier than a few hours before its due...

Reactions: 5 users
I realize this is an odd thing to be raving about, but I was actually able to call, on the telephone, to make an appointment today without being a total nutcase! My job is helping me get over my phone call phobia, as I was hoping it would. It's silly really, that I've been able to talk on the phone in work settings for years (albeit always very nervously), but get paralyzed with fear trying to do it in my personal life. Having job that requires me to answer phones and call doctors pretty much all day long was just what I needed to get me over this hump. I feel like I have been the conquering hero of anxiety these past couple years pushing myself through little steps to get past all this nonsense, and I'm finally starting to feel like I can have a normal, functional life. Which also means less depression. :D Now, if only I was able to display this much will power in choosing not to eat dessert all day and actually getting schoolwork done earlier than a few hours before its due...
I had a friend with the exact same issue At work no problem, at home, couldn't use the phone at all.... congrats.

Reactions: 1 users
Your summer is only 8 weeks?

Yeaaaa. Normally we only get 6 weeks but this year scheduling is a bit screwy so we get a full 8 weeks!!! But that means we only get 2 weeks at Christmas to compensate instead of the 4 we had this past year.. Not sure how things got messed up, but I'm not complaining!! (At least not until it's Christmas time haha)

We go to school 16 weeks in the fall but then 24 weeks in the spring so that we can start clinics in October of 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure that is the "good" kind of weight loss.
Take care of yourself.

Well if anything is similar between dogs/cats and people, I tell people to aim for 1-2% weightloss per week and so I would say I'm right on target :)

Compared to school when I are essentially 2000 kcal in one go at whatever time I got home (which led to the weight gain), I'm for the most part eating 3 healthy meals. I pack the lunches, and the bf has a nice dinner on the table when I get home AND does all the dishes for the day. That way I don't fall into the 'didn't feel like packing lunch because there's too many dirty dishes in the sink' mindset.

Exhaustion yes might not be too healthy, but hopefully in a few weeks to a couple months ill be more in the groove and be able to handle the caseload without being too overwhelmed. I can for the most part hold my own and have patients in and out in a fairly timely manner. But I just don't have it in me enough to have records all set before they leave, and have all my call backs done between appointments.

Well if anything is similar between dogs/cats and people, I tell people to aim for 1-2% weightloss per week and so I would say I'm right on target :)

Compared to school when I are essentially 2000 kcal in one go at whatever time I got home (which led to the weight gain), I'm for the most part eating 3 healthy meals. I pack the lunches, and the bf has a nice dinner on the table when I get home AND does all the dishes for the day. That way I don't fall into the 'didn't feel like packing lunch because there's too many dirty dishes in the sink' mindset.

Exhaustion yes might not be too healthy, but hopefully in a few weeks to a couple months ill be more in the groove and be able to handle the caseload without being too overwhelmed. I can for the most part hold my own and have patients in and out in a fairly timely manner. But I just don't have it in me enough to have records all set before they leave, and have all my call backs done between appointments.
Sounds good. Just checkin on ya

I finished my rotating internship yesterday!

Reactions: 7 users
Got a stethoscope as a going away gift on my last day of work! So excited... it's becoming so real! I got the rainbowwww finish :smuggrin::love:

I have delicious cider, delicious goat cheese, a good book, and it's summer (and finally not gray and rainy). And my sick kitty is getting better. :D

Got my first rabies vaccine shot today. Had such a cute and funny doctor, that it was a very pleasant experience. After I told him I wasn't a fan of shots, he promptly gave me a lollipop and offered me a teddy bear to hold haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Really? Is that a northern California thing?

I have seen a few good thunderstorms in Cali, but that was all southern California.

I lived for a number of years in both Southern and Northern California, and while it rains plenty in the Winter, it rarely thunderstorms (mostly just heavy rain without the thunder and lightening). And certainly not with the frequency it does here!

I lived for a number of years in both Southern and Northern California, and while it rains plenty in the Winter, it rarely thunderstorms (mostly just heavy rain without the thunder and lightening). And certainly not with the frequency it does here!

Interesting. My family used to visit Southern California every year in summer and we would see at least on thunderstorm each year. (Granted a few of these were out in random desert areas while driving/travelling).

Arizona gets a ton of thunderstorms, love monsoon season. :)

Scotland gets wimpy thunderstorms maybe one or two a summer... and by "thunder" I mean I heard thunder twice and it made my heart happy. ;)

Interesting. My family used to visit Southern California every year in summer and we would see at least on thunderstorm each year. (Granted a few of these were out in random desert areas while driving/travelling).

Arizona gets a ton of thunderstorms, love monsoon season. :)

Scotland gets wimpy thunderstorms maybe one or two a summer... and by "thunder" I mean I heard thunder twice and it made my heart happy. ;)

Wait. You actually heard thunder over there??? I never did during my year in England. And it poured I think a total of two times instead of the usual 24/7 mist.

Wait. You actually heard thunder over there??? I never did during my year in England. And it poured I think a total of two times instead of the usual 24/7 mist.

Yeah, I actually caught a thunderstorm on video last summer while I was at the train station. It is on my FB. (PM me if you want to see the video).

Also, there was a lightning strike last summer that actually caused the electricity in my flat to shut off and back on right away, which blew a fuse in my TV.

Those were the two times last summer. This year, I was really hoping for thunder one night, mentioned it to my friends and the next day.. thunderstorm.. it was awesome (even if it only thundered twice) :)

Favorite things to do during a thunderstorm...

1) Fly a kite with a key on it .... follow in Ben Franklin's footsteps.
2) Go swimming in the pool.
3) Use your metal umbrella.

Might have done #2 when I was technically on the clock as a life guard... it was a particularly bad storm too. The pool ended up having to be closed for a while because run off from the muddy football field drained into it along with a ton of other debris.

It's 72 degrees, sunny, comfortable humidity, and I just came back from a 15 mile bike ride. Perfect summer day. Except for the fact that I have homework due tonight and still have to finish cleaning my apartment before my sister gets here on Saturday. But still, lovely day. And I just noticed my cats aren't chasing each other even though I just let the kitten out of her room ten minutes ago. Even better. :)

I spayed three cats and neutered one this week (three of those today)! Surgery still isn't my favorite but just doing more of them has made me feel so much more comfortable with it all. I'm really going to miss this rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
My younger sister just got to Dublin! Can't wait to show her around (when she wakes up from her jet lag nap). Planning to take her out to buy her first legal pint since she just turned 18 last month :)

I've been obsessed with buying these plush alpaca dolls called Arpakasso. They're just so cute!! I can't help it! :oops:

Finally getting time to read The Song of Ice and Fire books! I started a few years ago and didn't get very far. Proud to say that I finished A Clash of Kings in under a week and now onto A Storm of Swords. So nice to finally have some time to just... read.

Finally getting time to read The Song of Ice and Fire books! I started a few years ago and didn't get very far. Proud to say that I finished A Clash of Kings in under a week and now onto A Storm of Swords. So nice to finally have some time to just... read.
I'm going to warn you, reading A Feast for Crows is like pulling teeth, but it makes A Dance With Dragons much more worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to warn you, reading A Feast for Crows is like pulling teeth, but it makes A Dance With Dragons much more worth it.

I appreciate the warning. It can't be any harder than it was to get through the first book before I had started watching the show... *hopefully*

Well you got me beat... I'm still only a few chapters in on A Game of Thrones. At this rate it should only take me a couple years or so to read them all...

Well you got me beat... I'm still only a few chapters in on A Game of Thrones. At this rate it should only take me a couple years or so to read them all...

It's been almost 3 years since I started the first ASoIaF book... so from start to finish it will be the same for me. That first book was hard to get through for me.

So yesterday I was working outside, and unfortunately found our mama cat that had 2 kittens lying in the road because someone ran her over. I looked and looked for the kittens but couldn't find them.

Flash forward to today when I was making dinner, and I saw our horse walking down the road (she's an escape artist). I took her back to the barn... and heard some noises in the hay mound. I returned with a flashlight and found the two kittens, and they were still alive and very hungry! While I have no clue how much to feed them or how to effectively get them to nurse (I have nooo idea how to nurse kittens so I'm definitely calling the vet in the morning), I'm so happy I found them in good condition. :)
It's been just about two months since I found these two tiny tikes. It was quite an adventure raising these two. They are now no longer little, and are full of energy and personality. I'm even taking one with me to vet school this fall!

10524152_10202267198029883_1381458925_n.jpg

P.S. A hearty thank you to @wildcatj for all of the kitten advice. You have helped so much! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's been just about two months since I found these two tiny tikes. It was quite an adventure raising these two. They are now no longer little, and are full of energy and personality. I'm even taking one with me to vet school this fall!

photo.php

P.S. A hearty thank you to @wildcatj for all of the kitten advice. You have helped so much! :)
I miss theeeeeeeem. Also, your picture doesn't work =P

I miss theeeeeeeem. Also, your picture doesn't work =P
It was working in the preview?

You will have to see them, they would love to make a mess of your room again haha.

It was working in the preview?

You will have to see them, they would love to make a mess of your room again haha.
They didn't do too bad last time. They were perfect kitten angels ^_^

And now the picture is workiiiing!

They're adorable! The little gray one's face looks like she has lots of personality...

Soooo cute! :D

They're adorable! The little gray one's face looks like she has lots of personality...
She sure does. She is my little petite princess. The male, on the other hand, is quite the fireball (and quite the lover as well)!

Ugh! They are so friggin cute! I just turned mine over to another foster parent today so I can move :( so sad.

PS which one are you keeping?!