RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I won tickets to see a small acoustic show by Fitz and the Tantrums! Pretty cool considering I only signed up for the contest since I had nothing going on that day!

Members don't see this ad.

I visited the least visited national park in the contiguous 48 states today, and in the process, visited Michigan for the first time, so I now only have 13 states left to see! Sadly, though, while I was hiking along on a somewhat rugged trail hoping I might see a moose (which is a fairly common occurrence in this park), the people who were lazily sitting on the dock spotted a moose on the shoreline across the harbor, only minutes before I got back there. I mean, come on! And I smelled lots of fox pee, but saw no foxes. But I did get some cute pictures of red squirrels. And, I saw the tallest waterfall in Minnesota, which was actually pretty darn impressive. And the other day I stood in the middle of the Mississippi River. Vacation is so much fun.

If you want to see foxes, come to PEI. They're everywhere and unafraid of people. I left my apartment the other morning and a silver fox was quite literally 5 feet away from me, just watching me...

If you want to see foxes, come to PEI. They're everywhere and unafraid of people. I left my apartment the other morning and a silver fox was quite literally 5 feet away from me, just watching me...
I've actually seen a fox in the wild before, used to have one that lived in my neighborhood. Just would have loved to have seen that moose. My dad's been really into moose ever since we went to Maine a number of years ago. Being able to take a picture of a real wild moose, even far away, and show it to him would have really tickled his fancy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wrote a 5-page paper in about 6 hours from the bottom up, including in-text citations and pictures on sexual health interventions. Time for some vidya games.

Reactions: 1 user
The Chihuahua went back to my sister today (this is not a rave, I really wanted it to work, but it just wasn't). I now have my happy well adjusted slightly pain in the arse cat back. And my parents brought me my favourite cider (made just down the road from where my parents live) and Bailey's. I am thoroughly enjoying my last night of vacation before radiology starts tomorrow at 8 AM.

Just wrote a 5-page paper in about 6 hours from the bottom up, including in-text citations and pictures on sexual health interventions. Time for some vidya games.
I could use some of whatever you're on, because I've got two 5 page papers to write this week about economic and policy mumbo jumbo that does not compute so well in my brain (like seriously, why do we need some fancy equation to theoretically explain how people make the decision to get vaccinated or not? Isn't it kinda just common sense that people, whether consciously or not, balance real and perceived costs and benefits any time they make a decision?) And I have endless discussion posts and one more 2 page written assignment that are pretty much taking up every waking moment of my next 6 days and I still haven't quite recovered from the papers I wrote at the end of last week. I'm pretty sure this is more exhausting than vet school. But that's what I get for having to get all my stuff done early because I'm traveling during the last 3 weeks of the semester and didn't stick to my rather strict schedule for the first few weeks. Oops. I have a sneaky suspicion I will be writing my final papers on my ipad under the covers late at night when I'm in Nicaragua.

And that just turned into a rant on the rave thread. Does that give me like 13 years of bad luck or something?
I suppose I could throw a rave on at the end to even things out. One week until I get to drive all of my pets 900 miles to my parents' house! I realize that sounds like sarcasm, but I actually love driving long distances by myself. Especially when I can stop to cuddle my cats every so often. They really do make the best road trip buddies. Except for the fact that you always have to pee super fast because it's 90 degrees and sunny outside and you've got animals in your car.

Reactions: 1 users
So this is more of a funny thing than a rave, but I finally got the results back from the DNA test I ran on my mutt. It looks like she's 25% staffy, has some boxer in there, and is likely part... Mexican hairless :rofl:.

They did find her under a dumpster in Mexico, so I guess that makes sense haha.

massive amounts of entertainment from reading through the very early entries in my blog after i had just arrived in grenada. good times!

So this is more of a funny thing than a rave, but I finally got the results back from the DNA test I ran on my mutt. It looks like she's 25% staffy, has some boxer in there, and is likely part... Mexican hairless :rofl:.

They did find her under a dumpster in Mexico, so I guess that makes sense haha.

Haha. I mailed mine in for my dog before I left for the Galapagos last week. It's still pending but I swear it's going to come back something crazy like basset hound and papillion even though he looks like he's got a ton of corgi in him.

Haha. I mailed mine in for my dog before I left for the Galapagos last week. It's still pending but I swear it's going to come back something crazy like basset hound and papillion even though he looks like he's got a ton of corgi in him.
Haha there was some corgi and Newfoundland in mine. Those things are good for a great laugh ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday my husband told me - " hey babe, I have a 4 day weekend this weekend!" I immediately got into planning mode and somehow figured out a way to get off work and head to NY for the weekend.. And a huge rave in the Mix of this is that I only had to pay $500 for a ticket!!!! I'm so excited to see him!! - currently sitting at the airport, will land in Syracuse this afternoon :D

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in my final weeks of working at my SAH before vacation and then moving into my new house! I finally feel competent and confident in the work that I do in this clinic. I actually am going to hate leaving. Hopefully during the semester I can find a good shadow/work opportunity somewhere in my pitiful college town. I don't want to stop working! My dreams still don't feel attainable just yet, but they feel more attainable each and every day :)
I leave for the beach in 8 days!

Haha there was some corgi and Newfoundland in mine. Those things are good for a great laugh ;).

I posted his results in the "all about our pets" thread but he also came back as having some mexican hairless in him. No corgi even though everyone thinks he is a corgi when they see him. He also had a lot of large dog breeds which i think is funny since he's fat at 35 lbs.

Iafter 2.5 months of nearly non-stop work between my two jobs, I had a Thursday off to go into Neuro for once! I missed the clinic so much

At the beach! And got some money help for tuition! Nothing huge, but every little bit will help later on :)

Date night last night to see Guardians of the Galaxy. :) Best. Movie. Ever. I don't normally think movies are worth the cost of theater tickets, but it was awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Had an amazing early anniversary dinner with my husband last night :) Definitely the most we have ever spent on a meal, but it was so worth it, plus you only get to celebrate you 1 year wedding anniversary once :D

Today we are going on a wine tasting tour of 5 local vineyards, I can't wait!!! This has been an amazing weekend, I don't wanna come home.

I head off to my first year of vet school, one month from today! :) This summer is flying!

My bf has planned a surprise long weekend trip to Niagara Falls while I'm home for break :) my mom isn't too happy about it since it's the only full weekend I'm "home" but she's just gonna have to deal lol Just 12 days until I'm back in the states!

We had a petting zoo at my mom's preschool today, and I got to snuggle goats! I LOVE GOATS. Can I do ER for cats, dogs, pocket pets, and goats? Or is that not a thing?

Reactions: 3 users
The shelter I've been interning at throughout summer offered me a job today!! Woohoo!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just booked my cabin for the Flogging Molly cruise next March. I'm so excited!!

I got a really good deal on a pole off craigslist a couple days ago, and finally got it set up earlier today. It spins!! So every time I walk through the living room I've been jumping on it for a couple revolutions... :D

Last edited:
When my parents arrived today, they brought me six delicious bottles of Nova Scotia cider.
Mom: I don't know why he bought you so many.
Step-Dad: Well she won't be back again until Thanksgiving...
:D

AND this week is a four day week! Friday off! WOO!

Last edited:
Had a client that I hadn't seen in a few months and only met once before ask me how many years of school I had left and if I was planning on working in the area after graduation. I told them I still had two years left and that a lot of it comes down to where I can get a job. They then proceeded to say that they'd come see me if I I was working in the area. Great way to end the day and motivate me for this upcoming year.

Reactions: 6 users
More raving: at one of our shelter spay days on Sunday, I did three (3!) cat spays with about five minutes of warning (just enough time to get scrubbed in rofl). I was on the list to be doing to be doing dog neuters and was a little shocked because I haven't actually learned cat stuff yet.

They all went well, though, including the annoyingly fat cat, and I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable with surgery in general. I have no idea how people graduate with only the couple surgeries in our curriculum and feel OK, but am so, SO glad that I started getting involved with our spay days as a first year and get this extra hands-on time now.

More raving: at one of our shelter spay days on Sunday, I did three (3!) cat spays with about five minutes of warning (just enough time to get scrubbed in rofl). I was on the list to be doing to be doing dog neuters and was a little shocked because I haven't actually learned cat stuff yet.

They all went well, though, including the annoyingly fat cat, and I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable with surgery in general. I have no idea how people graduate with only the couple surgeries in our curriculum and feel OK, but am so, SO glad that I started getting involved with our spay days as a first year and get this extra hands-on time now.

Same. I really jumped into getting involved in our Shelter Med Surgical Opportunities program and don't regret it for a bit. I haven't done many surgeries on dogs, but I've done a bunch of cats so I'm starting to feel okay. I'm still fairly slow, but I'm at least not as shaky and freaking out over everything.

Same. I really jumped into getting involved in our Shelter Med Surgical Opportunities program and don't regret it for a bit. I haven't done many surgeries on dogs, but I've done a bunch of cats so I'm starting to feel okay. I'm still fairly slow, but I'm at least not as shaky and freaking out over everything.
Jealous that you guys have opportunities like this. I hope I'll feel comfortable by the end of our shelter med rotation 4th year.

Jealous that you guys have opportunities like this. I hope I'll feel comfortable by the end of our shelter med rotation 4th year.

It was definitely a huge selling point for me when looking at schools. You do have to fight for spots to get involved and keep going if you want to make progress and the program really relies on student involvement. We're in a bit of bind because like no one in my class is able to spay on their own yet--I think there are only 3 of us, including me (and no panicking...there is always a vet present in the room so we do have someone to call on for help if needed), so we're the only one's who are able to teach others. We get some help from V15 but since they're now in clinics, we can't count on them as much.

My boss surprised me with ice cream sundaes at lunch to celebrate my birthday. I didn't think anyone at work even knew today was my birthday and I was kinda bummed about the whole "new in town and don't know anyone to celebrate with" thing. I also finally have money in the bank after paying off a ton of moving expenses so hoping this weekend I can get out and about and meet some people.

My boss surprised me with ice cream sundaes at lunch to celebrate my birthday. I didn't think anyone at work even knew today was my birthday and I was kinda bummed about the whole "new in town and don't know anyone to celebrate with" thing. I also finally have money in the bank after paying off a ton of moving expenses so hoping this weekend I can get out and about and meet some people.

Happy birthday :)

I'm just really grateful that although I'm finishing my undergrad a semester early, I have enough funds to pay up my apartment for the year, and I'm confident in my ability to secure a job in January! Also, two days left of this stressful job and Sunday the boyfriend is coming into town until classes begin!

survived my first solo colic. (and so did the horse!). Definitely a little nerve wracking to go out there all by my lonesome for the first time, so I'm glad everything went well

Reactions: 11 users
survived my first solo colic. (and so did the horse!). Definitely a little nerve wracking to go out there all by my lonesome for the first time, so I'm glad everything went well
OK, I jinxed myself. I've now done three solo colics, in less than five hours. Two good, one referred elsewhere when nothing I did worked.

OK, I jinxed myself. I've now done three solo colics, in less than five hours. Two good, one referred elsewhere when nothing I did worked.
That'll learn ya! :laugh: At least you are getting your experience points all in one day so it works itself into the muscle memory.

1) This was a really great summer. I did some really enjoyable externships and took some good vacations. It probably ranks as best summer ever!

2) This year, I am kicking ass and taking names. I'm really proud of myself because I'm beginning to demand excellence out of others when before I would just fix other peoples' messes. I was always very passive and didn't like confrontation. I have somehow overcome that and it's really doing great things for me. The best part is that I already have two clinics interested in me for jobs after graduation! I thought people would think I was crazy for putting myself out there this early but it's been pretty well received.

3) Only one more year of vet school!

Reactions: 4 users
Currently on my last full time shift at work!!!! And orientation starts on Monday!!!! Ahhh!

SGU just sent me an email addressed to Dr. JMO about a job opportunity at the university :) wow that seems so crazy and its only 9 months away! :O

Reactions: 2 users
SGU just sent me an email addressed to Dr. JMO about a job opportunity at the university :) wow that seems so crazy and its only 9 months away! :O
Haha I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago asking me to apply for a position as a veterinarian. They jumped the gun a bit (22 months :p)

Haha I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago asking me to apply for a position as a veterinarian. They jumped the gun a bit (22 months :p)
i think the most entertaining part of this is that you'd think that the university would keep track of where their students are vs. who has actually graduated...

A minor rant, but with everything else in my life going wrong, I feel like it needs a shout out. I finished the second draft of my manuscript today! WOOHOO!! I also decided to take on the first author role instead of second. I'm really excited about it. We're going to try to publish in JAVMA (my PI hates the application process for the behavior specialty journal. Haha).

Reactions: 3 users
Still computer-less... But I bought the galaxy note pro 12.2 with the keyboard, case and mouse for an amazing price!!! Less than it would cost to just buy the tablet at best buy. :oops: