RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@NStarz - Here he is!

I brought home this little guy a couple of weeks ago and he's my new bff. His name is Kobe and he's a German Shepherd.

b1fc775c-8580-48e8-8ab2-82ab844a1170_zpsdc787320.jpg

f7374638-04eb-49ba-8393-ada52d38380e_zps71c35a0f.jpg

92dbda37-d97f-4497-8d0e-5b0b9868a8a7_zps3568ae7a.jpg

1721f093-c09c-42c5-be71-cda273fad43e_zpsb4027fa8.jpg

c2a49750-756b-440f-92ca-e3d7deafafaa_zpse9c6aff7.jpg

160365ff-a32c-4c4f-aa70-fb2423f4c843_zps9c78bfc2.jpg

Edit: Resized the pics! Sorry they were huge haha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For as much time as I spend doubting myself and being pathologically nervous/afraid of everything, I'm apparently doing okay at this internship thing. Got good marks on my first intern review. :happy:

Reactions: 3 users
Please to share your purchasing secrets!
Amazon. Amazon forever. I got everything for $568 including tax and shipping. It actually was probably more like $630 but I had gift card credits I hadn't used from the birthday earlier this year haha
I did get it refurbished but samsung still has a warranty for it and electronics' value immediately drops once it's taken out of the box anyway so I decided to give it a shot. If it's crappy, I can always return it within 30 days. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Amazon. Amazon forever. I got everything for $568 including tax and shipping. It actually was probably more like $630 but I had gift card credits I hadn't used from the birthday earlier this year haha
I did get it refurbished but samsung still has a warranty for it and electronics' value immediately drops once it's taken out of the box anyway so I decided to give it a shot. If it's crappy, I can always return it within 30 days. :shrug:
That is awesome!

My physical therapist is hot, and it actually makes me work harder and better because I love the way he says "good" when I do something right.

:giggle: :swoon:

Reactions: 2 users
Just turned in my last assignment of the summer semester (with 7 minutes to spare!)! I am now almost halfway through my MPH! Now I have ten days off before the next semester starts during which to try to recover from the burnout I'm currently feeling (spending 2 weeks in Central America with limited internet helped, but having to marathon the last few assignments of the semester in the past few days while driving all my pets from PA to MN kind of undid all that), as well as have a little fun, and try to get my life in order and finish some projects around the house before school starts up again. Except I'm spending 4 of those 10 days working, 3 days helping with first year orientation, and 1 day volunteering at the state fair. So 2 days off. Hmmmm... now I feel stressed again. Having a ten hour day at work tomorrow starting in 7 hours when I haven't been there in a month really isn't helping that feeling.

If you have any free weekends, let me know! we are practically neighbors :)
Absolutely! Perhaps sometime in September? I'll be on a rotation with a relatively more predictable schedule then.

I'm having such a good weekend! We had a surprise birthday party for a classmate yesterday, and everyone loved the cake I brought. Then this morning I decided (at the last possible minute) to do a "zoo zoom" 5k to benefit cheetah conservation, and placed in the top 100 (...out of 141, but still). And then I spent the afternoon painting a doghouse to be super cute--it won fourth place! And I might be able to ride this semester, or at least next week, which I am SO excited about! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally have a volunteering opportunity! I get to work in the next county over and play with the puppies and kittens. After picking up their poop, of course, but there's nobody that can deflate how I feel about puppies and kittens. :love:

I know it'll be more than that, but I'm really happy. :)

Had the most amazing long weekend up at Niagara Falls with my boyfriend. He proposed! I'm so excited :) how to plan a wedding while I live 2000 miles away and my options are my breaks in April, August, December or clinics.... :/ if anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know...would rather not wait three years until I graduate lol

Reactions: 14 users
Congrats!

We married the summer of 2nd year. And our honeymoon was the last major vacation I got. it worked out well and gave plenty of time for planning

Successfully hit the jugular vein (on the first stick!), on a .8lb wiggly chi puppy today, and managed to get enough blood for a CBC without exsanguinating the little bugger.

And then failed miserably at obtaining three drops of blood from a very well behaved lab. Go figure.

Successfully hit the jugular vein (on the first stick!), on a .8lb wiggly chi puppy today, and managed to get enough blood for a CBC without exsanguinating the little bugger.

And then failed miserably at obtaining three drops of blood from a very well behaved lab. Go figure.

It's alright. I can get a catheter in a cat that is dehydrated/trying to die in front of an owner, but struggle hitting the jug on some horses.

I've been having problems sleeping for a year or so. In the last few months it's been really bad and I can't fall asleep, wake up multiple times a night, and am just so exhausted. My rave is that one of my buddies wants to start working out twice a week after class. I always sleep so much better after working out but didn't keep up with it in the summer. We lifted today and I can tell I'm going to crash hardcore tonight.

Had the most amazing long weekend up at Niagara Falls with my boyfriend. He proposed! I'm so excited :) how to plan a wedding while I live 2000 miles away and my options are my breaks in April, August, December or clinics.... :/ if anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know...would rather not wait three years until I graduate lol

Congrats! Been there, done that wedding planning from afar thing. I leaned heavily on my now-husband and my family to go to tastings, appointments, etc. I got my dress on one of my breaks and scheduled my fittings accordingly. We got married a couple weeks after I got home between second and third year (ended up being mid-May) which gave me the rest of the summer to relax and not wedding plan, which I am so glad I did. Definitely possible to plan if you're strategic with your planning. I wish I had eloped but that's just me not liking wedding planning, haha. Feel free to PM me :)

It's definitely doable to get married in school. I got married the first Sunday of spring break. I kept everything local (food, dress, photos, etc) and it worked great. Feel free to PM me :)

Got voted in today to be a term 1 rep for the Blood Donor Project at school which will give me a ton of hands on experience and I'll get to know a bunch of the clinicians at the small animal clinic! :D

I got to ride a horse today! My body has no idea what it's doing anymore after a year out of the saddle, but even in just this lesson I was able to go from not being able to keep the canter to cantering over a small crossrail.

new dog bed from costco for Sampson, cost $20 and it is the mother of all dog beds! this thing is MASSIVE, is 3 inches of orthotic foam topped with a giant pillow. i think i might actually be jealous of my dog. Online its apparently $60, and this picture does not do the size justice, as it is 36"x 40"
350-782985-847__1.jpg

new dog bed from costco for Sampson, cost $20 and it is the mother of all dog beds! this thing is MASSIVE, is 3 inches of orthotic foam topped with a giant pillow. i think i might actually be jealous of my dog. Online its apparently $60, and this picture does not do the size justice, as it is 36"x 40"
350-782985-847__1.jpg
Now you just have to hope your dog actually uses it! ;)

My physical therapist is hot, and it actually makes me work harder and better because I love the way he says "good" when I do something right.

:giggle: :swoon:

Why are all PTs sooooo good looking!?

I just signed up to participate in a clinical research study in November, which means I'll be making a super easy $700! It doesn't involve any overnight stays or medications or blood draws. :)

Get to do Undergraduate Biology research to study how animals move and which animals live where in the mountains where I live! Also might get to do the same research in other parts of the area like by the Mexican boarder! Yay for research experience! :biglove:

I got a tiny part-time job (10 hours/week) tutoring high school kids some evenings and some on the weekends. The job pays $20/hour, so I'm going to do my best to be an attentive tutor, but also a good student myself as I could really, really use the extra money.

So, first week of vet school and my hubby is being so super supportive!! He has been waking up super early with me and making me breakfast and lunch!! He has also loaded all my notes on my tablet and organized everything and is doing stuff around the house without me asking!! I'm just glowing right now! Luckiest girl in the world!

Reactions: 6 users
I get to start volunteering at the local spay/neuter clinic this week! It sounds like I'll be doing pretty mundane things (laundry, cleaning surgical instruments, etc.), but I'm excited to see a different type of clinic! I'm also going to call a local equine vet tomorrow to see if I can shadow there. :)

Care to share?

Sure! Sort of. this is the base recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

However, I'm not personally capable of following a recipe correctly... So I switched one can of beans for a can of artichoke hearts, used some leftover caramelized onions instead of fresh, used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had on hand, and then just put in the canned adobo pepper, no poblano. Oh and garlic salt instead of fresh garlic because I'm out.

I'm sure the original recipe would be awesome too though!

Sure! Sort of. this is the base recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

However, I'm not personally capable of following a recipe correctly... So I switched one can of beans for a can of artichoke hearts, used some leftover caramelized onions instead of fresh, used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had on hand, and then just put in the canned adobo pepper, no poblano. Oh and garlic salt instead of fresh garlic because I'm out.

I'm sure the original recipe would be awesome too though!

Thanks and no worries. I frequently alter recipes if I want to try something extra or just don't have an ingredient.

Got an externship I wanted at a private practice that sees a lot of exotics!! A little nervous because it's my first externship and I'm worried he'll think I'm a complete idiot, but oh well.

Reactions: 2 users
May have landed an on/off shadowing gig with an equine chiropractor. And my '96 Toyota that I got Tuesday drove me and three girls on my western riding team fantastically through this monsoon that central Indiana's receiving right now.

I'm 2 hours into my tutoring block and I've had nary a student bring in assignments. Instead, I've been studying pelvic limb muscles and their OIAs. So...I'm essentially getting paid to study. :X3:

I know it won't last as the semester rolls on, but I can really get used to this.

My 3M/Littmann Cardio III mysteriously acquired a little squared off puncture wound in the small diaphragm .. like a forceps or hemostat went through it. No idea how, but presumably I did it at some point. It happened a while ago, I've just been too busy to deal with it.

Called the repair peeps. I just have to say, they've got customer service down.

It's still under warranty, and they don't care if I caused the damage or not. They're happy to fix it. Second, they were happy to mail me the part or send it to them to fix. They encouraged me to send it because they'd just do a whole refurb and extend the warranty by two years for free. Last, it turns out that the repair center is here where I live, and they said "Oh yeah. Just stop by before 3:30. It takes us 15 minutes to fix it. Then you don't have to be without your scope for two weeks."

I'm impressed. It's rare nowadays to find a company that supports their product so well.

Reactions: 17 users
Just got out of a VBMA event with Dr. Andy Roark. Totally worth getting up early for on a Saturday and not studying for my repro exam coming up this week. I didn't even need the credits for my certificate but he was so much fun to listen to.

Just got out of a VBMA event with Dr. Andy Roark. Totally worth getting up early for on a Saturday and not studying for my repro exam coming up this week. I didn't even need the credits for my certificate but he was so much fun to listen to.
He came to my school a few weeks ago. Very nice guy and a great speaker.