RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally, after years of dragging my feet, have scheduled my master's defense. There were some tense moments over the last couple years where I thought that things could never go right and I would never finish, but things have come together and in two weeks I get to defend.... and then hopefully pass and move on with life until it's time to wring my hands over vet school applications again. Although, my in-state has radically updated their application requirements in ways that may actually increase my competitiveness. That's a huge positive. No more crappy pre-req science GPA holding me down.

Hopefully being done with school will make me more employable and I can find an organization that sees value in me having vet school ambitions, even if that means I might have to leave them in a little over a year if I'm accepted. Hopefully, I can transition into a well paid government position with tuition assistance programs, where, even if I don't get into vet school, I can have someone else pay for me to get another advanced degree. I'd really love a MS in entomology.

Members don't see this ad.

Spent a wonderful and too short of a weekend with the boyfriend for his birthday.Was glad I got today off so I could participate in the traditional birthday dinner.

Just learned that one of my externships got a grant to cover dvm student room and board... so my previously cheap externship is now very, very cheap! So psyched.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After a very bumpy 11 months, today my mom's horse delivered a healthy foal! Seriously, the breeding/foaling center said the foal probably had a 15% chance of survival... but she's thriving and in good weight. Yay!

Reactions: 6 users
Having professors that care is so great.

One of my profs sent out a really heartfelt encouraging email this evening to my class.

Should I end up in an academia context someday, I hope to be half as fantastic of a professor as she is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Walked into a board meeting this morning and was handed a plaque and $500 check! Apparently I won an award but they failed to tell me to go to our school-wide awards ceremony last week... I was all:

Funny-Animals-82.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Walked into a board meeting this morning and was handed a plaque and $500 check! Apparently I won an award but they failed to tell me to go to our school-wide awards ceremony last week... I was all:

Funny-Animals-82.jpg
bummer you missed out on all that free food ;) - i was in the barn doing paperwork (if your selective hasnt made you excited about the large volumes of paperwork in your imminent future, be sure to find that glee this coming week ;) )

Registration fees were just posted, and it looks like I'll be able to afford to attend ExoticsCon as a student member! Sooooo excited! It's made even sweeter by the fact that it'll be held less than 3 hours from here this year! :soexcited:

bummer you missed out on all that free food ;) - i was in the barn doing paperwork (if your selective hasnt made you excited about the large volumes of paperwork in your imminent future, be sure to find that glee this coming week ;) )
My selective has made me extremely excited to not have to do paperwork this week, haha...

DONE WITH FINALS FOREVER!!!! Woohoo!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Decorated my graduation cap today!!! :prof: Unfortunately LA were seriously underrepresented at my local craft store :(
IMG_20150429_150402.jpg
[/url] upload gifs[/IMG]
IMG_20150429_150402.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Got a clean bill of health from my dentist for the first time in years.

Just left my last Anatomy lab session EVER! Cannot wait to be done with that class after the final on tuesday :D

Reactions: 2 users
Standing in my brother's wedding as the Green Lantern in June, turns out my BF's mom has a power ring he's gonna wear to the wedding with me. So PSYCHED.

Just left my last Anatomy lab session EVER! Cannot wait to be done with that class after the final on tuesday :D
Today was our last anatomy lab tooooo!!!!! Soooooo excited!

Now all I need to do is stay up cramming for the anatomy lab final... and I'll be a second year! :D

Reactions: 3 users
The head tech at the clinic I intern at raved to a new hire about how awesome I am and what a big help I've been since they lost their second tech :happy: Always feels wonderful to be appreciated, especially when I'm not getting paid to work.

But my second rave is related to that, as the vet decided to hire me (for real this time) for the summer and I'll be making $5 more an hour than I usually do at home

Standing in my brother's wedding as the Green Lantern in June, turns out my BF's mom has a power ring he's gonna wear to the wedding with me. So PSYCHED.
That sounds like possibly the coolest wedding ever.

My rave: came home from a terrible day at work yesterday, and remembered that hubby bought me a chocolate icing sprinkle donut. And the hilarity that ensued when my toddler tried to share it.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1430490240.569812.jpg

This definitely happened.....

Reactions: 5 users
Well the 530km move went pretty well, all things considered. I purged some old crap that went to the recycling center, to be replaced in the not too distant future. I had arranged to buy a snazzy used red couch and chair from a guy on Kijiji (Canadian craiglist), but had to get him to hold it for me for a week until today. So he required that I send him a deposit of $100. Unfortunately when we arrived to pick it up it was GIGANTIC. Way bigger then my living room would accomodate. So we declined, expecting to lose our deposit. But a tiny bit of my faith in humanity was restored because he actually sent the money back. Money that we then put towards a new leather couch and chair set from a local store. And they deliver.

Months behind on the times, but celebrating the newest addition to my family :) shelter dogs rule!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 53
Super busy day. Day full of diagnostics, tears, and joy. Still here 2 hrs after my 12 hr day finishing up paperwork now that all of my callbacks are done. That kinda sucks, but I had so many grateful clients and no bad clients. This is totally the kind of day that reminds me why I do what I do!

Reactions: 6 users
Last official exam of vet school was earlier today!! I'm beginning to pack so I can move later this week and I found my umbrella that I've been missing for October -- it was in the AT&T bag from when I went to the store to by my S5. I have been searching amazon for a replacement umbrella for quite a while now.

I passed my defense today and have minor revisions (basically, only some minor grammatical things and formatting kinks that I noticed) to my manuscript for my master's project. Woohoo!

Now I just need to get it printed, turned in, and finish my exit interview for my program and I have my MPH. (Well, I'll have it at the end of summer, because I did the "end of semester" option so I don't technically get the degree until summer commencement, but I don't have to pay for summer or enroll for any classes in the meantime.)

Now on to finding a meaningful internship or job that will hold me over until I can get admitted to vet school.

Neither rant nor rave, but I just dropped over $120 dollars on printing and binding services for a few copies of my MPH project (most go to the school). I hope they look good when I pick them up tonight or tomorrow morning.

New phone update now allows me to receive group messages without having to turn my data plan on and leave it on! The new update apparently allows the Messages app to just automatically turn it on for those two seconds to download the message and then turn it off instead of me having to manually do it. This has pretty much been my only issue with the Galaxy phones and now it's no longer an issue.

When you notice a grading mistake on your statistics final and your wonderful professor takes the time to sit down with you and look over the mistake and gives you back some points, and those points give you an A in the class :) also I made a 126/100 on my cell biology final, which I def wasnt expecting!! There's one nonscience class I'm waiting on to know if I've made a 4.0 for the semster or not. I'm not one to brag about academic achievements a lot, but I think all A's in 3 upper level science and math courses (stats is considered 3000 level at my school) in one semester is pretty outstanding! I thought this semester would do me in but it looks like I won. I'm so excited and glad to be done with finals!!

Teee hee hee, I've lost 20 lbs on my short 5' frame since graduation (gained 7 during a vacation and lost it back too). Down from a BMI of 27 to a good 24! Currently the weightloss is a healthy one where I'm eating pretty healthy, whereas previously it was due to slavery like conditions. Yay, goodbye to stress eating and starvation!

Reactions: 8 users
Teee hee hee, I've lost 20 lbs on my short 5' frame since graduation (gained 7 during a vacation and lost it back too). Down from a BMI of 27 to a good 24! Currently the weightloss is a healthy one where I'm eating pretty healthy, whereas previously it was due to slavery like conditions. Yay, goodbye to stress eating and starvation!
Hooray! There is hope out there for us who are still in those conditions. Glad you have turned that corner and are a real girl again! :)

I am raving that I am reading a book. Not studying, not reading anything about medicine, just a nice regular ol' book.

Boyfriend took time from his 15 hour IM shift to call me and wish me a happy Mother's Day and thank me for taking care of "the boys" (our guinea pigs and fish). Thought it was super cute.

Reactions: 1 users
Hooray! There is hope out there for us who are still in those conditions. Glad you have turned that corner and are a real girl again! :)

I can't read properly please ignore. :whistle:

Rave-wise: my anuric dialysis pup PEED!! Not very much, but after almost a week of no output it's SO freaking exciting.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be oversensitive or dramatic or something... but what the heck is that even supposed to mean? Wasn't aware there was a weight limit on being female...

I think this was directed more at the "no longer a slave" part rather than the weight loss itself. I'm sure Lupin will clarify but I know she means well.

One of the doctors I worked with last night took me and another student out to breakfast this morning (and insisted on paying for it). I love our clinicians.

Woooo!! Didn't really eat last night and was starving this morning, get to lab and all you can eat pancakes for five bucks to go to Nepal being done by grad students. Good cause and good breakfast! :heckyeah:

Reactions: 1 users
I am raving that I am reading a book. Not studying, not reading anything about medicine, just a nice regular ol' book.

THIS! I haven't been able to sit down with a fiction book in what feels like forever. I got through 6 chapters last night of a new book from one of my favorite authors before I was just too exhausted to keep going. Such an awesome feeling.

I got a job offer today on a job that I really wanted - no nights and weekends, so I can easily keep my job at the clinic no problem! It's super close to home and pays well too. I'm so excited!!!