RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So far, an A in Biochem II and Neurobiology with a projected A in Ornithology and Bs in Endocrinology and Biology of Cancer. I feel like a 3.6 while working 35 hours a week ain't too shabby.

Members don't see this ad.

Finished my last (real) final of the semester today! And for the next 5 glorious days of school, I get to learn about nothing but BIRDS :love::soexcited::biglove:
I've been looking forward to this week all year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finished my last (real) final of the semester today! And for the next 5 glorious days of school, I get to learn about nothing but BIRDS :love::soexcited::biglove:
I've been looking forward to this week all year.
And you actually get your real class - I'm still a bit bitter about non-trad pets. But I am feeling so free now that the hell of this semester is pretty much over :) I will never forgive lecture capture for breaking over finals though...

Small rave, but I'm super excited:

I was able to drive in the rain today for the first time since my hydroplaning accident without really panicking. My heartrate was a little elevated, but I was SO much calmer than I have been. Progress! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Small rave, but I'm super excited:

I was able to drive in the rain today for the first time since my hydroplaning accident without really panicking. My heartrate was a little elevated, but I was SO much calmer than I have been. Progress! :D
That's great! It took me a while before I could drive in snow storms without having a panic attack. Glad you are feeling more confident :)

Reactions: 1 user
Got a really sweet compliment from my boss today when I stuck around after closing to finish up a few things after a really hectic/hellish week. The feelz were awesome and I'm so happy to be starting year two at a job I love. This is the boss that I don't get to spend as much time with so it was nice to know he's as happy with me as I am with him/the clinic. It's definitely not a perfect workplace but it's a pretty dang good fit for me.

Reactions: 10 users
I moved into the new place officially yesterday. I finally got to go see Age of Ultron last night. My internet and cable got hooked up today, and my couch and chair got delivered. So I'm now sprawled on the couch with one of my cats (the one that likes to snuggle) watching Orphan Black. And I'm getting a new phone tomorrow.

After a ridiculous year, things are looking up. I introduced the guy I've been seeing to some of my family since they were in town for graduation this weekend, and it went surprisingly well. Today, he introduced me to some of his oldest friends and apparently got approval from them lol. Life is good...

Reactions: 1 users
I start small animal ER today. SO EXCITED.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wanting to try a yoga class for ages, but was too intimidated because I am so not flexible (yay, oldness). Finally went with a friend and loved it! Started a membership. :)

My mom didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving my bed from Lincoln Nebraska to Ames Iowa so she offered to get me a cheap mattress when I moved. She wanted to buy a queen I wanted a full since I didn't think my room could fit a queen. When we got here we couldn't find anything in our price point for a full sized bed. I went out later by myself to a mattress sale and found a queensize pillowtop mattress with memory foam for just a little over our budget. After sleeping on the floor for a week this while being on ICU at nights this mattress is absolutely glorious. I was originally upset that we didn't move my mattress from Nebraska but this is so much comfier than my old one that I've had for over 12 years that my cats have torn up and my last dog stained. I have never slept on something so awesome!

I'm happy I was able to defer a year before going to my dream school. This takes a lot of stress off my shoulders and will give me some time to sort out my finances. I'm also happy that I got successfully transferred to a vet hospital close to the town of my choice, so I will be employed during my break and may even be promoted to full time hours in a few months. I start work on Friday with my new team and I'm kind of nervous, but excited at the same time.

I also had a wonderful post-graduation break. Went to Nashville to see one of my favorites bands, Tame Impala, and then on Sunday I saw another favorite band, Bo Ningen, in Atlanta and got to meet the lead singer/bassist at the merch table.

First CrossFit work out since February and I couldn't be happier. Still was able to do the weights I was doing at that time despite having gained 5-10 lbs (haven't gotten any leaner) since then. Definitely glad that this new gym is somewhat more budget friendly than others in the area so that I can make it work with my schedule. Looking forward to the soreness tomorrow.

A classmate was in town for an interview and crashed on my couch. In payment, he bought me dinner and left me beer. And then boss took me and the newbie tech to lunch. Much noms in the past day. Oh, and boss says she's very happy with how I'm doing and how I'm fitting in with the rest of the clinic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Everything is finalized, just need to wait for paperwork to be sorted out but the last hurdle is gone as of today... Just bought a house!

Super excited. It's scary as heck but when the mortgage is $500/month cheaper than my current rent I'm hoping it will be worth it!

Reactions: 8 users
Finally comfortable enough with my shadowee equine chiropractic veterinarian to ask real questions about his work.

Everything is finalized, just need to wait for paperwork to be sorted out but the last hurdle is gone as of today... Just bought a house!

Super excited. It's scary as heck but when the mortgage is $500/month cheaper than my current rent I'm hoping it will be worth it!

Congrats! I hope it's near where you work because we're moving up that way and I am determined to make drinks happen! :)

Kicked butt on my first clinical rotation (and it was an equine one at that!). Maybe I can do this doctor thing after all :)

Started my first day at the clinic I transferred to as an assistant. Thought I had a very sub-average performance, being new and awkward, but a couple of of my co-workers said I kicked butt at being proactive. (Only they didn't literally say "butt" LOL, he said another word).

Yes, I kicked ASS. I'm new to here so wasn't sure if I would in trouble or not. ;)

My last patient went home this morning, so SO and I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and meet halfway in PA. Currently waiting for him to show up. Can't wait to get dinner at Primanti bros!! :D

Walked into a Mixed animal vet office for a shadow day, within 10 minutes I was observing a c-section on a yorkie and massaging the retrieved puppy! Then went and observed mare AI, and went to a sales barn for castrations and injections. :D

My last patient went home this morning, so SO and I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and meet halfway in PA. Currently waiting for him to show up. Can't wait to get dinner at Primanti bros!! :D
Mmm Primanti Bros. I'm gonna miss that place.

I'm pretty excited that I'm home for a long weekend and my parents are going to pay for all the dinners out as well as cook all of the food that we eat in. Sometimes it's good to be the baby of the family. My mom also made me chocolate chip cookies today while I slept in so, YAY!

The downside is I have to sleep on my lumpy twin size mattress in my childhood bedroom (small upside: it's an African safari themed bedroom).

Finally got unpacked and made all the little upgrades to my trailer that I've been planning (keyless entry oh yeah!). I'm absolutely in love with my trailer. It feels so homey and happy.

So, I got a slightly passive aggressive email from a person in the music department about attending the music graduation at my school, since it was my second major. Apparently, I ended up receiving the music departments highest award, got a nice bit of money, and also received departmental recognition as well. As opposed to my bio department graduation where I had the person I TA'd for over 2 years mispronounce my name. Was a super great surprise though :).

So, I got a slightly passive aggressive email from a person in the music department about attending the music graduation at my school, since it was my second major. Apparently, I ended up receiving the music departments highest award, got a nice bit of money, and also received departmental recognition as well. As opposed to my bio department graduation where I had the person I TA'd for over 2 years mispronounce my name. Was a super great surprise though :).
That is awesome, congrats :D you'd think they would have told you about the awards beforehand so you would go to the ceremony!

Obligatory bragosaurus

I love my research position. I love my lab. I love my lab mates. Plus, we get to go to three cool places: Texas Heart Institute (ghost hearts, wutwut!), Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine, and Texas BioMed (BSL-4!!!). Sometimes living in Texas is awesome. :love:

I love my job. It is amazing how having a non-stressful job can help when the rest of life isn't going super hot. My boss is one of the best bosses I have had ever. Even when I screwed up bad enough to fear for my job, she was a great (and merciful) boss. While I am looking forward to my new job in August, I will sorely miss this current job.:love:

Someone told me today that I was a natural with clients. It really made my night.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1432827793.377122.jpg

Grocery win.

I got into OVC! I was so scared of the debt from going to school internationally and now I won't have to worry!!!

Last day at work and I got a really nice card, a delicious cake from a high end bakery in town (half eaten in the picture) and a pen that is engraved with my name in it. Was all super cute, and lots of tears shed. Now I get the joy of packing the rest of the apartment tonight and 15ish hours of driving over the next two days.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1432940162.906918.jpg

Less than a week until my birthday, and two weeks until my boyfriend and I move in together, and I can get away from this toxic roommate situation. Also I just found out my favorite co-worker that left us to student teach is coming back to the clinic for the summer! June is going to be a good month.

My mom got me the cutest early birthday present!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1433005195.632104.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Third try's a charm - accepted to OVC and so excited... but not as excited as my friend who screamed on the phone for 2 entire minutes in the middle of the fire hall where she works! I'm pretty sure there were some funny looks for that!