RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That sounds about right, the 16-22% as a range. 16% being very sad.

How does that end up with an average of 17% is my question. That's pretty low in the range. I'm not sure a pie chart simplified for technicians to give them an idea of the cost of running a business is a legit source.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Both a rant and a rave here. But it ends happy so rave it is.

So I've had a cat since 2nd grade (2002) and she has lived in the same house with my parents since we adopted her at 8 weeks old. When I started undergrad, I thought about taking her with me to college and living with me in my apartment which is about 20 minutes from my parents, but my dad was too attached and didn't want me to take her. Anyways, fast forward to now. My parents just had their 25th wedding anniversary and are going away for a month to Europe. We collectively decided it would be better for her to come live with me for the month than to have someone come by the house to feed her and have her be lonely. Tonight I went to pick her up. She is always a loud kitty and very timid, but driving her down to my apartment was the saddest thing ever. She was crying so much and was so scared. She was shaking and urinated in her carrier and I just felt absolutely awful. By the end of the 20 minute drive I was crying too because I felt like the worst pet mom ever for her being so scared and upset. I know I made the right choice, but gosh that was hard seeing her so worked up! I now understand why moms cry when they can't get their babies to stop crying. Rave portion though- Once we got here, she calmed down immensely and is now curled up in my bed happily. It will be so nice having her here and I know she will be so much happier than being home alone!

Officially in Nashville for the last day of ACVS! Never been to Tennessee before!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an extreme pumpkin crazy, but pumpkin cream cheese rocks my world.

Thanks, rub it in... LIS must feel ancient about now cause I feel pretty darn close!

tumblr_mvv1xjT8oT1sgl0ajo1_400.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Finishing up 4th grade/entering 5th grade in 2002.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're bad at this game.

I'm feeling pretty old too now, I hate that!

I love Nashville. Do I really have to leave? Went and listened to live music downtown last night and had an amazing family style breakfast in a manor from the 1800s this morning. I so missed biscuits and gravy, sweet tea, fried chicken -- I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it!

Reactions: 2 users
I love my job. I love being an intern, i love my internmates, and i love my program! For those who are struggling though, or worried that life as an intern is all misery, its definitely not! And I say that after working 10 days in a row with half of them on call, after working 12-18 hours a day, and after euthanizing things that could easily be fixed with resources. I love what I do, and I never thought I could be this happy in vet med (at least not within the last 2-3 years)

Reactions: 11 users
I love my job. I love being an intern, i love my internmates, and i love my program! For those who are struggling though, or worried that life as an intern is all misery, its definitely not! And I say that after working 10 days in a row with half of them on call, after working 12-18 hours a day, and after euthanizing things that could easily be fixed with resources. I love what I do, and I never thought I could be this happy in vet med (at least not within the last 2-3 years)

Glad to still hear this since they're still on my list of places to apply to!

I agree with jmo...internship has its sucky days but overall I'm very glad I'm doing it.

Rant turned rave: Today I had a client present their 10 yo intact female dog for "bloody diarrhea" that was actually the vulvar discharge from an open pyometra. The rant part is that of course this client didn't have an rDVM and was a nice old retired veteran on disability who had very limited funds. Emergency spay at my clinic costs $3000-4000 so there was no way that was happening. He applied for and was denied care credit. He wanted to help his dog but only had $700. It took calls to eight different emergency and low cost clinics but I lucked into finding someone who also worked for another spay/neuter clinic who got ahold of someone who is willing to cut it first thing tomorrow morning within his budget. The dog was definitely ill but not critical yet so hopefully it makes it through the night and to surgery tomorrow morning. Thank goodness we weren't slammed on ER today and I had a chance to go the extra mile to help him out instead of euthanizing his dog.

Reactions: 4 users
The rant part is that of course this client didn't have an rDVM and was a nice old retired veteran on disability who had very limited funds. Emergency spay at my clinic costs $3000-4000 so there was no way that was happening. He applied for and was denied care credit.

I'm so glad we have an angel fund where I work specifically for those kinds of cases. It's saved me from euthanizing an otherwise very fixable situation a few times now.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't know if Jamba Juice still does it, as I haven’t been there in years, but they would have a Pumpkin Smash prodiabetic smoothie this time of year. Loved that thing.

They have a few different kinds of pumpkin smoothies now.... Not that I would know or anything.....

I hate you guys. I love jamba juice, and the nearest one to me is like an hour and a half away on a college campus...

I hate you guys. I love jamba juice, and the nearest one to me is like an hour and a half away on a college campus...

But but, I simply spoke of Jamba. I cut all ties with that store years ago. @katashark obviously loves that place. She should receive 100% of the hate :rolleyes:

My SO brought home pumpkin spice bagels yesterday... Pumpkin. Spice. Bagels.

Welch Allyn Harvey Elite.

Knowing how much of a nerd I am and how I research all my gear and electronics until I know everything about them, I feel like I'm gonna have a real problem with medical equipment, eventually.

Knowing how much of a nerd I am and how I research all my gear and electronics until I know everything about them, I feel like I'm gonna have a real problem with medical equipment, eventually.
Yes. I love my Harvey elite though. So much of a difference and not much difference in cost

I do this too on an unhealthy level. Me and my fiance are in the process of buying a car right now... so many options... and negotiating..

you know, I tried to quote @wheelin2vetmed, and the mobile website ate it. It's the thought that counts, right?

Had to sheepishly explain I was late to the first day of my rotation this morning because of a plane delay last night... after a long weekend in Las Vegas. Clinician took it in stride, thanked me for contacting the tech as soon as I could, and asked me all about my trip. I like cardio already.

Reactions: 2 users
Got to watch dairy cow DA surgery today! Best part (slightly sarcastic) is when one of the DVMs said this emergency surgery probably cost around $300.

Had to sheepishly explain I was late to the first day of my rotation this morning because of a plane delay last night... after a long weekend in Las Vegas. Clinician took it in stride, thanked me for contacting the tech as soon as I could, and asked me all about my trip. I like cardio already.

I loved cardio at NCSU. Everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming. My grandpa died while I was there and they let me take a 4 day weekend to spend time with family. I just couldn't have had a better experience there. Enjoy it!!

Edit: are you with Dr. D? SHE IS AMAZING.

ahh that was one of my favorites!!
I loved cardio at NCSU. Everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming. My grandpa died while I was there and they let me take a 4 day weekend to spend time with family. I just couldn't have had a better experience there. Enjoy it!!

i love her sooooo much!!!! <3

ahh that was one of my favorites!!

i love her sooooo much!!!! <3

Haha, yep. That's exactly who was so enthusiastic and chill about me (accidentally!) being a horrible student. :love:

Haha, yep. That's exactly who was so enthusiastic and chill about me (accidentally!) being a horrible student. :love:
i was 45 minutes late to day 1 of ultrasound and subsequently was very late to rounds because of a bizarre traffic jam once (took me an hour to get 5 mi) and they were laid back too

Woooo just set off the smoke alarm in my apartment. This fog machine is pretty powerful for it's size.

Reactions: 3 users
Was it Barn Hill Preserve? I used to intern there!! I got to spend time with joeys too :love: so adorable while theyr'e still tiny and harmless! I hope this one's okay!
That may have been it, but it's been a few days and I just glanced at the name of the place on their shirts, so I could be wrong! She was super cute, about 8 or 9 months old. I wasn't in the appointment, so I didn't catch the details of what was wrong with her, but we were able to do bloodwork and send meds.

got a 2nd opinion for something that has been causing issues for over 6 months. new dr recognized the problem almost immediately and was able to do a good physical that explained the symptoms. It feels good to know something.

Reactions: 5 users
Officially in Nashville for the last day of ACVS! Never been to Tennessee before!
I love Nashville. Do I really have to leave? Went and listened to live music downtown last night and had an amazing family style breakfast in a manor from the 1800s this morning. I so missed biscuits and gravy, sweet tea, fried chicken -- I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it!

AH, My hometown!!! So Jealous!!! Did you eat at Monells or Ellendales? I cant wait to be back in Nashville for thanksgiving - first time home in over a year! Just sucks Ill be doing an ECC elective and wont get to enjoy all the fun perks of being home!