RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doesn't that feel awesome?

In the past half year, the three major things on my wish list were digital dental rads (because yes, full mouth x twice plus more on dip tank on each patient was really annoying), Bair hugger because the hot dogger by itself was just not cutting it, and a petmap cause I like the Doppler but it sucks for the awake nervous hypertensive pet.

The first two appeared, and the third is coming. I was prioritizing and haven't asked for the im3 dental unit, but now that I have everything I've wanted has come, I'm going to do it! Supposedly it's been approved, so I just need to push for it to appear. Teehee maybe it will be here for Christmas?

I would really like an ultrasound, but I don't think I could justify the cost of one with the billable services I would use it for. It would make my life easier, but for what I would be using it for (fluid checks/taps, looking for masses in effusion cases, bladder stone/mass check, and cystos), I don't think we would ever pay it back. I have a radiologist nearby who can do full ultrasounds and a few cardiologists, so it's not like I'm going to be doing full echos/aus and charging appropriately for it.

It feels really nice to know that my needs and input for bettering the practice are respected :)
Ha! I was just thinking that a Bair hugger might be next on my list! Along with ultrasound CE- we have a really nice machine but I'm only comfortable with the basics, ie, free fluid, puppies, urinary bladders and giant splenic tumors.

Sheesh guys, you hiring? :p
Probaby not this year, Maybe in two years. I'm not sure we have the physical space though so I'm doubtful- we've also been talking about just finding a weekend relief vet. 5 doctors, 2 exam rooms gets crowded. we are mixed animal though so not like we are all in the building at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really like an ultrasound, but I don't think I could justify the cost of one with the billable services I would use it for. It would make my life easier, but for what I would be using it for (fluid checks/taps, looking for masses in effusion cases, bladder stone/mass check, and cystos), I don't think we would ever pay it back. I have a radiologist nearby who can do full ultrasounds and a few cardiologists, so it's not like I'm going to be doing full echos/aus and charging appropriately for it.
We found a machine for under 5k with 2 probes and training. We are getting it. Even just using it for cystos and FAST scans it should make it back for us in 1-2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
We found a machine for under 5k with 2 probes and training. We are getting it. Even just using it for cystos and FAST scans it should make it back for us in 1-2 years.
Ooh can you PM me where you got it?

Agreed, that would be so worth it. I don't think we would charge for cystos, but there are definitely enough cases where a $100-150 quickie scans would be extremely beneficial for us to recoup $5k. I've had a whole weekend CE on ultrasound so I feel pretty okay with doing a "non radiologist" scan.

Super jealous of you guys! I've been begging for a few things since I started last year and haven't gotten any of them. We did get a new DR digital X-ray machine, but only because our previous CR machine broke.

Ooh can you PM me where you got it?

Agreed, that would be so worth it. I don't think we would charge for cystos, but there are definitely enough cases where a $100-150 quickie scans would be extremely beneficial for us to recoup $5k. I've had a whole weekend CE on ultrasound so I feel pretty okay with doing a "non radiologist" scan.
we are ordering it from China and buying the training separately. I'd have to figure out the exact vendor. It's cheap enough that if it breaks after warranty, we could replace it and still be under the cost of most other U/S. so very little to lose and a lot to gain. One of the US distributors was looking into carrying this model as well.

I loved my rehab medicine rotation this week! In particular, I spent a lot of time with a little dachshund who got a hemilam last week. By this morning, she was always super excited to see me! So cute.

I got to pet two emus today while cleaning their exhibit (the keepers tell me they are very fond of neck scratches). They were very interested in what I was doing, especially the male, who took a slightly disconcerting liking to my hair. But he backed off when I told him he couldn't have it :p I'm so happy to be volunteering at a zoo again :D

Reactions: 5 users
I got to pet two emus today while cleaning their exhibit (the keepers tell me they are very fond of neck scratches). They were very interested in what I was doing, especially the male, who took a slightly disconcerting liking to my hair. But he backed off when I told him he couldn't have it :p I'm so happy to be volunteering at a zoo again :D

Ahh, so awesome! I'm jealous!! I miss working at a zoo so much!

We got super cute new scrub tops at work! (We have to buy our own scrub pants, but scrub tops are provided and stay at the clinic so we're somewhat uniform. Emphasis on "somewhat" because some days laundry backs up and we're stuck wearing old, crappy, mismatched tops...) They're actually flattering, and the office manager asked everyone their sizes before ordering so I'm no longer stuck wearing mediums that are super baggy! We were also given the option to buy one of our own to take home, so I'm always guaranteed one that fits. It's the little things. :D

1. I'm officially set to graduate in December and it doesn't really matter, but after a lifetime of being second to do everything I'm also pretty stoked about graduating before my older sister. ;)

2. I got offered a paying job at the clinic where I've been shadowing. Making money instead of giving away my time is nice plus I get to be more functional now.

3. The self serve frozen yogurt shop opened an hour early today just for me and my sisters. Awesome.:joyful:

Reactions: 3 users
this is gonna sound like a weird rave. I had surgery today and they found what's been causing my abdominal pain for 7 months. And I'm stoked I have an answer if nothing else.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Something just all of a sudden hit me in the middle of studying.. I realized (I have known all along, but for some reason it overwhelmed me just now) how extraordinary lucky I am to have my SO by my side. He makes things so easy for me, especially when I am dealing with a lot of stress. He made a very disheartening and stressful situation yesterday turn into one that I could easily tackle because of all he does to help. He literally dropped everything to help me take care of the issue because he knew how important it was to me. Not only that, but he cleaned the entire apartment while I was at school and brought me dinner, and expected nothing in return for it... He just thought he would clean "to make me feel better".

I made a snapchat with lots of donut emojis mentioning how bad my sweet tooth is and he just texted me asking if I wanted a glazed donut he could stop on his way home to get me one. He also deals with my animal obsessions like a champ and puts up with my emotions. I'm seriously so lucky!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Charlie my lost kitten is home! My dog who found her originally back in August is the one who found her again. We propped open the door and she just waltzed in.

Reactions: 16 users
Charlie my lost kitten is home! My dog who found her originally back in August is the one who found her again. We propped open the door and she just waltzed in.

Don't you love how nonchalant they are when they come back? My sister's cat did the same thing to us while we were cat sitting this summer. We spent all day frantically searching for her, and then she woke us up early the next morning, sitting on the windowsill meowing to come in for breakfast. Like nothing ever happened. :rolleyes:

Don't you love how nonchalant they are when they come back? My sister's cat did the same thing to us while we were cat sitting this summer. We spent all day frantically searching for her, and then she woke us up early the next morning, sitting on the windowsill meowing to come in for breakfast. Like nothing ever happened. :rolleyes:

She seriously just walked in and was like why would you let a baby kitten out in this weather?!?!

Another rave about Charlie: she's an ex feral that I have spent a lot of time socializing. After coming inside this time she acted the exact same as when I found her in August. Frustrated that I would have to do all the socialization again, I kept following her around her and finally caught her to pet her. There was a moment after I touched her that she looked around like oh yeah petting is nice. I've since had her stretched across my chest all night begging for belly rubs :)

Reactions: 7 users
I guess this is sort of a rave. My practice manager and the full-time vet both mentioned wanting me to work full time. Like "No pressure buuuut we would love it have you here full time. That would be awesome." Not like I'm using the time off for anything productive, and I could really use the money. So now I just need to get someone else to chauffeur my sister...

Oh, and (not really a rave) apparently some corporate higher-up told my practice manager that I finished my training to quickly. Which I find amusing. If they'd rather pay me for 4 months to sit around on a computer...

I guess this is sort of a rave. My practice manager and the full-time vet both mentioned wanting me to work full time. Like "No pressure buuuut we would love it have you here full time. That would be awesome." Not like I'm using the time off for anything productive, and I could really use the money. So now I just need to get someone else to chauffeur my sister...

Oh, and (not really a rave) apparently some corporate higher-up told my practice manager that I finished my training to quickly. Which I find amusing. If they'd rather pay me for 4 months to sit around on a computer...

I got the same thing for my VA training. I got scolded for going too quickly.

Well it just happened. I can't help it. It's like my 29 year old male version of the biological clock, and this year it struck before Thanksgiving.

My rock and roll Pandora Christmas station has assumed its position as my morning soundtrack until January 1.

Well it just happened. I can't help it. It's like my 29 year old male version of the biological clock, and this year it struck before Thanksgiving.

My rock and roll Pandora Christmas station has assumed its position as my morning soundtrack until January 1.

The Mariah Carey Christmas station is also very solid (although perhaps a little different genre...)

(I've been privately playing it for at least two weeks. Canadian Thanksgiving is in October!)

Last edited:
After a rocky start to Physics 1, I just got my third test back and I got a 96!!! It brought me up to an A! Hopefully I can finish the semester with a 3.5 semester GPA and be one step closer to graduating Cum Laude in spring!! It's crazy to think I had a 2.8 freshman year and now I'm about to graduate close to 3.6. Hard work pays off and it can be done!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Had a great day shadowing at my local clinic, where I last shadowed 5 years ago in high school! It was nice because it wasn't busy at all, yet not super slow either (until towards the end). It was one thing after another and I feel like I got to see a good variety in the short time I stayed (9-2:30)--2 cat neuters, dog spay, a euthanasia (first time I have personally witnessed one--poor kitten had an obscenely infected eye and abscess), cow IV, an attempt at bull fertility test (equipment didn't work), dog grooming :p , horse intubation (a stomach tube for administering oil), and flushing out drained abscesses on a dog.

I only knew the managing DVM, so this was my first time meeting the other doctor who joined a couple years after I left (they're both older guys). He was really accommodating and told me not to worry about "being in the way" when I first got there, and would either comment on what he was doing or just make conversation during a procedure, so I never felt like I was watching awkwardly. After 2pm there was not much left to be done, so when he came into the central room he just started explaining to me why he did the things he did when intubating the horse--why horses are intubated via the nasal cavity, his personal methods for positioning it and confirming it's in the right place, etc. The techs and assistants/receptionists are of course all super nice too and a couple of them who've been there forever remembered me, once I reintroduced myself. The guy who helps with a lot of the LA stuff is very willing to help me get some more hands-on work if I continue to shadow.

I'm very lucky here, even back when I was a little high schooler everyone in the clinic was more than happy to invite me to observe whatever they're doing, give detailed explanations/answer questions, and allow for me to assist where possible (like holding the bucket of oil the vet drew up through the horse tube). I mean obviously they're not gonna let a shadow restrain patients or something, but I don't have the strict liability problems that so many people face when looking to shadow (where a clinic is like "sorry, hands off, stay back" or doesn't allow shadows at all...or just blows you off and makes you sit around or clean instead of observing)

Reactions: 3 users

You and all who skip right over the joy of Thanksgiving are a disgrace and the reason why this country is in decline!!! :rage:

Reactions: 4 users
Made some Thanksgiving yummies a little early since I'm working the next 7 days. Delicious! Just me and the dog like always, he enjoyed all of my messy spilling haha

Attachments

• 1121151945a_HDR.jpg
    1121151945a_HDR.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 1121151945a_HDR.jpg
    1121151945a_HDR.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 users
My rave is I have one more exam left before thanksgiving. At the same time I sort of to throw my immunology papers out the window.

For the first time in weeks, I had ZERO things to do on my day off! So, naturally, the kids and I had a pajama party for most of the day, and then got to spend time with the hubs when he got back from his business trip. :)

Reactions: 1 users
If it makes you feel better, I read it as a 'Pikachu'....

Totally did that same.

My mom sent me a huge care package for the stress eating that is coming with NAVLE studying/internship match things. Tons of chocolate, peppermint bark and white chocolate peppermint coffee. I'm going to gain 10 lbs, but I'll be happy. :love:

Oh! And I did well on my ES rotation which is great since I'm now kind of interested in it for after graduation.

Hubby acquired a robot vacuum (like the roomba but bissell brand) from some sort of Best Buy group that's he's in where he gets to try out and rate new tech for free. I'm so excited. It's set to do our living room everyday. Maybe, just maybe, I can start to keep up with the pet hair!

Reactions: 2 users
Hubby acquired a robot vacuum (like the roomba but bissell brand) from some sort of Best Buy group that's he's in where he gets to try out and rate new tech for free. I'm so excited. It's set to do our living room everyday. Maybe, just maybe, I can start to keep up with the pet hair!
I borrowed a friends once to see if it would work in my house.... As soon as it started moving, my sheepdog started herding it. And biting it. And pouncing on it. It ended up upside down and useless pretty quickly.

I borrowed a friends once to see if it would work in my house.... As soon as it started moving, my sheepdog started herding it. And biting it. And pouncing on it. It ended up upside down and useless pretty quickly.
I tried it out last night. The cats followed it around curiously until it started heading towards them. They headed for higher ground. My yorkie mix stayed on the couch and watched it from afar. My german shepherd followed it around a little and then sat and stared at it while tilting his head back and forth. It was pretty adorable. Not sure what he'll do next time though.

Update: The vacuum has begun it's daily rounds. Most pets are being good. However, one cat is stalking it's prey from the middle of the Christmas tree...

Update: The vacuum has begun it's daily rounds. Most pets are being good. However, one cat is stalking it's prey from the middle of the Christmas tree...
That's what happens when you have a Christmas Tree up before Thanksgiving ;)

My friend sent me a box of goodies from belgium! Not sure what the significance of the rocks is, but the chocolate and blanket are lovely!

My friend sent me a box of goodies from belgium! Not sure what the significance of the rocks is, but the chocolate and blanket are lovely!
Actual rocks? Yum chocolate! My dad's coworker gives him Belgian chocolate every year for Christmas.