RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My wonderful parents paid off my car and gave me the title yesterday! So wonderful to know I won't have to make 3 more years of $440/month payments! And they bought me a sweet dash cam! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I am so grateful to have been able to sneak away from internship for 48 hours to be with my family. I've never had to miss christmas, and although I'm sure i will if I match to a residency, I'm glad this didn't have to be the first year. Early flight in the morning followed by a long day of travel and working overnight, but it was definitely worth it!

Reactions: 1 users
My sister is pregnant! :love:

Not gonna lie, I'm bummed I'll be mostly gone for the first two years of having a niece/nephew.

Also, my best friend is engaged! Too much good news in a short period of time!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently on Ophtho and we are pretty slow so I got to bring in my basset to get a gonioscopy to check for the possibility of him developing glaucoma in the future... Great news, his iridocorneal angles look good and it's unlikely he will get glaucoma :D I'm one happy momma!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I just want to take a moment to give praise for my good fortune. I have gotten an interview invitation to every school I've applied to! (Except OK, they don't interview OOS folks). I was so discouraged after I submitted my VMCAS application. I didn't think I would be anywhere near good enough to even get this far! I was so stressed. One of the vets I work with told me, "Why stress? What good is stressing doing you?" It made me think. So I went to the Lord in prayer and gave my stress to Him and from then on decided that it was in His hands. When I found out about all my interview invitations I was so thankful! It really works! Take a step back and look at your situation. Give your problems to God and He will take care of you, because stressing really doesn't do you any good!

I'm house/pet sitting and theyre paying me as much for 4 days as I make in a week at work. And they're paying me about 30% more than I thought we had agreed on.

Because of the holidays, my hours have basically been cut in half the last two weeks due to closures and half days, so that was a nice surprise and totally makes up for the lost pay. Plus I'm basically getting paid to play with an adorable kitten and dog, so it's a win all around.

I just really really enjoyed my interview Today at a potential internship. It would be a hell of a year but I think it would make me a great doctor.

I'm hoping they liked me too because it has almost everything I want. Heavy on ES rotations and a boarded exotics clinician. It also sounds super hands on (not necessarily for surgery) and they even pay for a gym membership!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Made a giant pot of chili. Didn't get too heavy handed with the spices this time. Now I have easy meals for the next three days.

Made a giant pot of chili. Didn't get too heavy handed with the spices this time. Now I have easy meals for the next three days.
Now here comes 2 pages arguing back and forth about what is "chili" and what is "bean stew". Lol

Reactions: 4 users
No one texted me at midnight this year!

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1451784458186.jpg
    FB_IMG_1451784458186.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 53
Got the turtle a new, bigger tank. Sweet deal, too: 55gal for $55 at Petco. She's a little thing so it's like an Olympic-sized swimming pool for her.
Oooo are they doing the $1 per gallon sale? I wish I had space for another tank.

I ordered a new suit for my interview on the 23rd. I'm hoping the pieces fit. I've never ordered anything from Eloquii before so we'll see.

Got home tonight after a few days home at my parents' house.
Roommate: How was the visit?
Me: My sister is a drunk and is no longer speaking to my mother. How was work?
Roommate: Lousy. German Shepherd with acute severe neurologic disease and owners that don't want to do anything but don't want to euthanize.
Me: Sucks.
Roommate: *hugs me*
Me: Why are we hugging?
Roommate: Cause you had a shi**y time at home and I had a shi**y time at work.
Me: Fair point. *hug*

I do love him. :love:

My hot water is back and my fire system is fixed. Thank you, maintenance!

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview tomorrow, and had a bad case of pre-interview jitters this morning. I went birding to relieve some stress, and got caught up in conversation with two absolutely lovely older folks and fellow bird enthusiasts in the park nature center. It was apparently exactly what I needed, I felt 1000x better when I left. Hoping to run into them again in the not too distant future. :)

Most rooms in my condo are really clean right now. Only the upstairs sink is back filled with water (and a plumber is coming tomorrow morning to hopefully take care of that and my shower leak). My study room is almost put together - all my craft stuff is put away and all the loose papers have been thrown away, filed away, or will soon be headed into the paper shredder. So close to having everything put in its place.

I also found out that I should get my new suit by the end of this week (hopefully sooner because the warehouse it's shipping out of is in central Ohio).

I think two of my classmates are there right now!

There are FIVE Penn students here. Like literally 1/3 of the students are you guys... ridiculous! :p

Second rave: I stupidly forgot my stethoscope at home, and asked my bf to send it to me. Got a package really quickly and was a little surprised - then noticed it was from Amazon, not him?! Inside was a brand new, super kickass black and smoke Littmann cardio.
I'm never ever ever going to be able to find it like my lime green one, but it's gorgeous. :love:

Reactions: 6 users
Got a call from a classmate about a potbellied pig. After discussing treatment options with him, we came up with a solid plan, albeit one I've never tried before. My BF called a few minutes later. Since he is an experienced swine vet, I asked what he would recommend and he spouted the exact same plan as me. It makes me so happy that my clinical judgment is there. The past few months have sucked and I am really needing positive things right now.

Got a call from a classmate about a potbellied pig. After discussing treatment options with him, we came up with a solid plan, albeit one I've never tried before. My BF called a few minutes later. Since he is an experienced swine vet, I asked what he would recommend and he spouted the exact same plan as me. It makes me so happy that my clinical judgment is there. The past few months have sucked and I am really needing positive things right now.
That's a great feeling ain't it?

Meeting @cowgirla today. Exciting cause for one reason or another, timing didn't work out to meet up even when we lived close to each other prior to vet school! Wow that was a long time ago, look at how far we've come :)

My rabbit isn't happy about this but I washed all of her beds, towels, and rugs today. No more stinky rabbit feet. :)

She repays my service by demolishing her bed.

I added a third dog to my household right before Christmas, (which I swore I'd never do), but he fell into my lap and I could not refuse, and I couldn't be happier! He was surrendered at our clinic early December by a very sketchy guy who said his friend gave him to him because his girlfriend had just gone to jail for 10 years and he didn't want him. The sketchy man, who lives in a storage unit with 2 other dogs fyi, brought him in because he didn't want him either and oh by the way something's wrong with his leg but he doesn't know what happened....uh huh. Anyway, his leg is super broken in a crazy weird way and would be 5,000 to fix at the friends/family rate at our local orthopedic clinic (which our Practice Owner said, "He's going to be a very cute tripod!"). Oh and this guy had no idea what breed he was, he wrote long-eared beagle on his intake form (he's a Cavalier King Charles), which is probably for the best or he would have sold him straight upon getting him!

ANYWAY my parents had Cavs as I was growing up, I've always wanted one but would never pay 1400 to a breeder for a dog, I'm only rescuing (not judging, but its just not something I'm comfortable doing!), so I thought I'd never get one. And I've had a thing for 3-legged dogs for years.

So the two things just rolled into one walked into my clinic and I claimed him within 15 seconds of him being brought back as "our new dog". He's so sweet and loving and gets along with my other dogs, who are very difficult to please, and its just wonderful! :))))))

image1.JPG image2.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
I added a third dog to my household right before Christmas, (which I swore I'd never do), but he fell into my lap and I could not refuse, and I couldn't be happier! He was surrendered at our clinic early December by a very sketchy guy who said his friend gave him to him because his girlfriend had just gone to jail for 10 years and he didn't want him. The sketchy man, who lives in a storage unit with 2 other dogs fyi, brought him in because he didn't want him either and oh by the way something's wrong with his leg but he doesn't know what happened....uh huh. Anyway, his leg is super broken in a crazy weird way and would be 5,000 to fix at the friends/family rate at our local orthopedic clinic (which our Practice Owner said, "He's going to be a very cute tripod!"). Oh and this guy had no idea what breed he was, he wrote long-eared beagle on his intake form (he's a Cavalier King Charles), which is probably for the best or he would have sold him straight upon getting him!

ANYWAY my parents had Cavs as I was growing up, I've always wanted one but would never pay 1400 to a breeder for a dog, I'm only rescuing (not judging, but its just not something I'm comfortable doing!), so I thought I'd never get one. And I've had a thing for 3-legged dogs for years.

So the two things just rolled into one walked into my clinic and I claimed him within 15 seconds of him being brought back as "our new dog". He's so sweet and loving and gets along with my other dogs, who are very difficult to please, and its just wonderful! :))))))

View attachment 199407 View attachment 199406
He's super cute! I have 3 cavs and they are wonderful little dogs.

Got first place today in the scaled divisons of my first CrossFit competition. $150 cash price, bunch of giftcards, coupon for a free shirt, 40% off a custom jump rope , a bag of whey protein powder, and other small goodies.

It was a fun day but I will not be moving the rest of the evening or tomorrow.

Reactions: 7 users
Vet school friends knew I was doing tours all day followed by an ICU shift, and hence no time for dinner or to let out my puppy. Walked in to a puppy that was already let out and taco leftovers in the fridge :)

Reactions: 8 users
Went shopping today. Got some cool wall decor. Made a midnight run to the grocery store for soy sauce then I made stir fry. Proceeded to play with my hair for a couple of hours (I'm trying to find an easy professional updo for long hair that I can execute successfully and that looks good on me).

Two of my dogs got out of the house today. I feed them in the breezeway and the wind blew a door open. They could have been gone for up to 30 minutes before I noticed.

So of course I'm freaking out, open up the garage doors so there's better light outside and call out their names with the recall command as I'm stumbling around looking for shoes/coat/flashlight.

Next thing I know they both come running through the door they had gotten out of, without me even having to put my shoes and coat on!

I was so proud I let them lick peanut butter out of the jar. Thank f*** for all the hours I've spent training recall and thankful for the refresher training course they've gotten now that the little pup is learning all this for the first time.

And now I'm having a drink while I wait for my heartrate to go back to normal.

Reactions: 11 users
Got home tonight after a few days home at my parents' house.
Roommate: How was the visit?
Me: My sister is a drunk and is no longer speaking to my mother. How was work?
Roommate: Lousy. German Shepherd with acute severe neurologic disease and owners that don't want to do anything but don't want to euthanize.
Me: Sucks.
Roommate: *hugs me*
Me: Why are we hugging?
Roommate: Cause you had a shi**y time at home and I had a shi**y time at work.
Me: Fair point. *hug*

I do love him. :love:

I miss you both (and everyone else) terribly. Please exchange another hug from me at your earliest conveniences :love:

So I just got my acceptance call from UPenn, which is already dope out the a** being that it's my top choice, but I was also just informed that the committee has decided to offer me an unbelievable recruitment scholarship... Especially since I've always been a bit of a non-traditional student (been out of school for a couple of years, rocky start during undergrad), this is literally the first time in my life that something has panned out like this (in terms of academic acknowledgement). Okay, I'm gonna go change my diaper now.

Got my first 6 solo spays under my belt today plus numerous cat neuters. Can't wait to see what the rest of the week holds! Feeling like a baby vet :)

Sooo excited the AAZV Conference is being held over the summer this year! I can actually attend! I've budgeted and everything. And it's going to be held in Atlanta--meaning I can finally cross the Georgia Aquarium off my bucket list! Whale sharks!!! :X3::X3::X3::X3:

Sooo excited the AAZV Conference is being held over the summer this year! I can actually attend! I've budgeted and everything. And it's going to be held in Atlanta--meaning I can finally cross the Georgia Aquarium off my bucket list! Whale sharks!!! :X3::X3::X3::X3:
I'm so jelly :bigtears:

I'm so jelly :bigtears:

You should come! It would be such a short trip for you! I would just wait to attend next year since it'll be in Dallas (SO CLOSE, OMG), but I'll be in clinics and who knows if I'll have that week as a vacation rotation or not. :(

It was pretty amazing. When we went up on stage, my name followed with an announcement that Corky was the first dog to ever graduate from the University of Arizona. The auditorium went absolutely nuts and the cheering was out of control. The dean then whispered to me "Will Corky be able to carry this?" I said ya but was 99% sure he'd drop it on stage. But he held his certificate the entire time I went across shaking hands, and then dropped it once we were behind the curtain. Absolute baller; he stole the show.

View attachment 198873

This made my heart smile. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of you and Corky's triumph.

You should come! It would be such a short trip for you! I would just wait to attend next year since it'll be in Dallas (SO CLOSE, OMG), but I'll be in clinics and who knows if I'll have that week as a vacation rotation or not. :(
It's true, I am super close...hmmm. I will have to look into it. Try to gather together some monies.

Yesterday, we picked up a new family member...an adorable little blue mini rex for my sister! I'm so happy about it because while we raised rabbits over the course of my childhood, it's been several years since we were last able/allowed to have any (my mom is allergic, and I didn't want to get one that would just be stuck in a hutch outside). but while no creature is truly "hypoallergenic," rexes are supposedly a bit less triggering dander-wise, and the cage/designated bun run areas will always be in either my or sis' bedroom anyway so it isn't an issue unless she physically handles one. I was pretty surprised when she was not only okay with, but excited for this baby! Aaaand, the breeder's other litter will be ready to go in soon, so I will be getting the bun a companion as well :) Probably a red. Have to think of names.