RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahhh, Neopets. My username (from 4th grade I believe) is extra embarassing...
All the more reason to share it! :nod:

Members don't see this ad.

My old email, which I created when I was 6, was animalexplr... Because "animalexplorer" was too long. I used it to email my grandparents. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My account is 15 years old now. Of course I can't remember the password anymore and don't have the same email. boo. I could use a time waste.

Eta: almost 16 years -Started Playing: August 20, 2000
Jeez I feel old

My mom is the absolute best!! On top of being my interview stylist (seriously better fashion sense than anyone I know), she went to the mall with me 30 minutes before closing to help me find a shirt she thought would go well with the new outfit she planned! I was devastated after Friday because I went to a mock interview in a black dress and blazer and they told me I was overdressed! She turned it all around. I know how much this process means to her, I hope I can make her proud! I'm very, very excited for my interview Tuesday with very little nerves. Hope it stays this way :)

Reactions: 5 users
Finished some projects today I've been dragging my feet on. Bought a new houseplant and a really nice looking ceramic pot that will add some much needed color to my condo. Bought some wood moulding to make a frame for my bathroom mirror. Sewed some fringe onto my boring white curtains to make them less boring.

I'm waiting for one of the craft stores to have a really good sale on frames so I can get started on my faux entomological collection triptych thing I'm going to put on one of my big empty walls.

Finished some projects today I've been dragging my feet on. Bought a new houseplant and a really nice looking ceramic pot that will add some much needed color to my condo. Bought some wood moulding to make a frame for my bathroom mirror. Sewed some fringe onto my boring white curtains to make them less boring.

I'm waiting for one of the craft stores to have a really good sale on frames so I can get started on my faux entomological collection triptych thing I'm going to put on one of my big empty walls.

you sound way more put together than me. Last time I decorated my wall it was adding a giant paper mache christmas pterodactyl...

Reactions: 1 user
you sound way more put together than me. Last time I decorated my wall it was adding a giant paper mache christmas pterodactyl...
What is a Christmas pterodactyl and are there photos. I demand photos.

I attribute my "put-togetherness" right now to my boredom. I spent a couple months injured and unemployed. Then I transitioned to being underemployed. Now I have a little bit of money, a healthy bit of free time, and lots of ideas..... and a big empty condo to play with. I figure since I spend so much time at home, it might as well be comfortable and nice to look at.

The weather is absolutely perfect out right now. I've had my porch door open all weekend and I love it! I will certainly miss this next year. I wish I didn't live in such a noisy, obnoxious complex because I would love to leave the door or window open all night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to start clicker training my kitty (the younger one, old lady cat is thoroughly uninterested), and he's doing so well already! Plus, it's freaking adorable. 10/10, would recommend.

Reactions: 3 users
I accepted everyone. Just send me a message on there if there's anything you want. I'd message everyone but it's sort of cumbersome, given that the site design hasn't changed in at least fifteen years...

Took my nearly 10 year old Doberboy into the cardiology service today and he is DCM CLEAR! No signs whatsoever! The cardiology resident was very impressed given his breed and age. Cried for, like, 10 minutes solid. No regrets.

Reactions: 12 users
Somewhere between a rave and a rant: I have a phone interview for a seasonal zoo job tomorrow. I really wish they'd call at a time when I wasn't at work, but whatever, I'll just duck out and take the call when it comes in. I like the idea of working at the zoo again but when I got the e-mail yesterday and saw what it pays (they never post the pay in the job announcements for whatever reason) I was a little disappointed. I might get to work with friends though so that's a plus. Still, I full on cringed when I read "$8.50 an hour." That's a full $1.50 less an hour than what they were promising people working at the food stands so I'm a little disappointed. Technically though, the last time I worked at the zoo I was getting paid a weekly stipend that came out to less than $2 an hour so $8.50 is a considerable improvement.

Somewhere between a rave and a rant: I have a phone interview for a seasonal zoo job tomorrow. I really wish they'd call at a time when I wasn't at work, but whatever, I'll just duck out and take the call when it comes in. I like the idea of working at the zoo again but when I got the e-mail yesterday and saw what it pays (they never post the pay in the job announcements for whatever reason) I was a little disappointed. I might get to work with friends though so that's a plus. Still, I full on cringed when I read "$8.50 an hour." That's a full $1.50 less an hour than what they were promising people working at the food stands so I'm a little disappointed. Technically though, the last time I worked at the zoo I was getting paid a weekly stipend that came out to less than $2 an hour so $8.50 is a considerable improvement.

I make $8.50 / hour at my clinic job, after almost three years there. In the past six months 3 employees have been hired at an hourly wage higher than mine (they're coming in with previous experience/degrees, so it makes sense . . . but still.) It kind of sucks to see new hires make nearly $2 an hour more than me, when I've worked my way up through two raises to be where I am.

My local McDonald's had a starting wage of $9.50. It looks so tempting sometimes.

Getting a paid job in a zoo at all on the animal side of things is an accomplishment on its own haha. Took my friend 4 unpaid internships to get to $8.50 an hour (and she still only got part time). It's rough.

I showed up to work today and groaned when I saw how many patients night shift had hospitalized that I would be taking over. And then I found out I wasn't scheduled to work today, which is awesome since I work Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon.

Oh glorious unexpected day off..... I love you......

Reactions: 4 users
I make $8.50 / hour at my clinic job, after almost three years there. In the past six months 3 employees have been hired at an hourly wage higher than mine (they're coming in with previous experience/degrees, so it makes sense . . . but still.) It kind of sucks to see new hires make nearly $2 an hour more than me, when I've worked my way up through two raises to be where I am.

My local McDonald's had a starting wage of $9.50. It looks so tempting sometimes.
While I was in college, I needed a summer job and applied to my local fast food joints. The word "overqualified" was used several times.

While I was in college, I needed a summer job and applied to my local fast food joints. The word "overqualified" was used several times.
I hate that. If someone is willing to accept the wage, why does it matter? Obviously a college student isn't prepared to be looking for careers...

Husband and I are both sick (NOT the rave :grumpy:) and we only had one can of chicken noodle soup left. Not only did he give it to me but he heated it up and brought it to the couch for me. :p That may seem silly but it brightened my evening. I also got my registration codes in my email for the Glass Horse that I just ordered so I have something to play with on the couch all evening!

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my thesis today!!! Thirteen pages and one year of writing later...I'll present it shortly before graduation!!!!:soexcited:

Not only did I get to experience my first snow storm, but it was apparently the second worst blizzard Nebraska has had! Oh, it's been so much fun! We had a couple snowball fights, particularly when all the students gathered outside to take a picture together. I built a snow man today, with friends, and we made snow angels! A friend I were even brave enough to trek the 0.5 mile to the gym in the middle of the blizzard. I was shocked how deep the snow was -- it was up to my waist in some places and I got stuck! I think I'm in love with snow.

Reactions: 4 users
Not only did I get to experience my first snow storm, but it was apparently the second worst blizzard Nebraska has had! Oh, it's been so much fun! We had a couple snowball fights, particularly when all the students gathered outside to take a picture together. I built a snow man today, with friends, and we made snow angels! A friend I were even brave enough to trek the 0.5 mile to the gym in the middle of the blizzard. I was shocked how deep the snow was -- it was up to my waist in some places and I got stuck! I think I'm in love with snow.

Where you at again? We barely got an inch where I'm at in Nebraska, but Grand Island got two feet from what I heard. My friends from UNK were stoked for the snow day cause they never happen. Lol

Where you at again? We barely got an inch where I'm at in Nebraska, but Grand Island got two feet from what I heard. My friends from UNK were stoked for the snow day cause they never happen. Lol
Clay Center. We're like 2-3 hours away from Omaha. People talk about Grand Island a lot here so that must be close. We had enough snow that we couldn't go to the feedlot but we just had replacement lectures. Still went to the Hormel packing plant today and got some free Spam at the end of our tour!

A while back I submitted an app for a Disney veterinary internship that @pinkpuppy9 posted in another thread, annd today I finally got my first real correspondence from them (a questionnaire thing I have to fill out elaborating on interest in vet med/the necessary skills and experience). It really only means that I passed the initial screening and am moving on to the next steps, but still, the idea that I just might get to do this--EEP :heckyeah::xf:

Reactions: 13 users
A while back I submitted an app for a Disney veterinary internship that @pinkpuppy9 posted in another thread, annd today I finally got my first real correspondence from them (a questionnaire thing I have to fill out elaborating on interest in vet med/the necessary skills and experience). It really only means that I passed the initial screening and am moving on to the next steps, but still, the idea that I just might get to do this--EEP :heckyeah::xf:
YES GOOD LUCK!!! The initial screen is the biggest cut in the entire process....the vast majority of apps they receive don't meet the qualifications. Your pool is much, much smaller now. I'm rooting for you!

ETA: Not sure if you're in undergrad still or not, but this is the point in my last semester when I completely checked out and started looking at the Disney World website every day and reading the restaurant menus....

Reactions: 1 users
YES GOOD LUCK!!! The initial screen is the biggest cut in the entire process....the vast majority of apps they receive don't meet the qualifications. Your pool is much, much smaller now. I'm rooting for you!

ETA: Not sure if you're in undergrad still or not, but this is the point in my last semester when I completely checked out and started looking at the Disney World website every day and reading the restaurant menus....
omg, that is so great to hear!! I searched SDN for more info (unfortunately most of the relevant posts are pretty old) and was getting worried because a lot of them mentioned the professional internships being "extremely competitive, perhaps more so than vet school" :laugh:
I've been out of undergrad since December 2013 but was luckily eligible since I'm still enrolled in a university (for all my post-bacc prereqs and retakes, this semester I'm taking just Ochem lab :p) Oh my gosh, I'm just so excited for the possibility. It'd also be rather convenient since my family's already planning a Universal trip for my brother's high school graduation summer, I'd be right there to join them on my off times :)

omg, that is so great to hear!! I searched SDN for more info (unfortunately most of the relevant posts are pretty old) and was getting worried because a lot of them mentioned the professional internships being "extremely competitive, perhaps more so than vet school" :laugh:
I've been out of undergrad since December 2013 but was luckily eligible since I'm still enrolled in a university (for all my post-bacc prereqs and retakes, this semester I'm taking just Ochem lab :p) Oh my gosh, I'm just so excited for the possibility. It'd also be rather convenient since my family's already planning a Universal trip for my brother's high school graduation summer, I'd be right there to join them on my off times :)
Considering numbers, yes, it is more statistically competitive than veterinary school. If you have any questions about the process at all, shoot me a message!

One of my kitties has some weirdness going on with his mouth (not the rave) so I took him to work today so the doc could look at him. He prescribed antibiotics. The rave is that I have discovered that I might have the easiest to pill cat in the world :D

Bless other vet schools that share their PDFs for difficult to understand classes -> I wouldn't know what to do without UMN's radiology guide :love:

And bookmarking. I suck at radiology.
Same! I had no idea that such awesome guides existed haha. Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy when a professor has three 7-front paragraphs on a slide, but I also don't enjoy when there's just an image and literally no explanation of what you should see and how you should differentiate it from something else, which is how our current prof is teaching radiology and is a bit... overwhelming, to say the least.

As someone with a public health background, I really should know better than to eat raw cookie dough, but damn, it's so tasty, especially the kind I just bought on a whim at the grocery store. It actually tastes better raw than baked in my opinion. Food-borne illnesses be damned!

As someone with a public health background, I really should know better than to eat raw cookie dough, but damn, it's so tasty, especially the kind I just bought on a whim at the grocery store. It actually tastes better raw than baked in my opinion. Food-borne illnesses be damned!
Meh, my Public Health prof seemed to think that a commercial egg itself (after you get rid of the shell of course), doesn't pose AS big as a risk as the media hypes it up to be. I mean there's always a risk, but how big of one is the question. But then again I LOVE cookie dough so I probably heard what I wanted to hear :p