RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is not (at this moment) raining and that is new and different. Very exciting!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
FINALLY caught momma and all 12 ducklings! We relocated her to a nice pond. Without kids in the school, we were able to herd her into the building and catch her from there. Such a relief, I was really stressing about this hah.

Also applied for the condo and will hopefully have my lease signed soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can now go see my girl whenever I want. Rode her today (after spending what seemed like forever grooming the little mud monster...), and it was so great to have her trot up to the gate to meet me.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462666651203.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462666651203.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 6 users
I can now go see my girl whenever I want. Rode her today (after spending what seemed like forever grooming the little mud monster...), and it was so great to have her trot up to the gate to meet me.

Okay. Admittedly I am in a bar, but when I read this message the first time I didn't see the horse pic and my mind went in a totally different direction. o_O

Reactions: 1 users
Spontaneous Miami trip with my SO today since we have a random few days off together :) we've never been!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll love it!!! Check out some of the little grocery stores in the super Cuban parts of 8th St. (Little Havana). It's like being in a different country!

Giant chocolate chip pancake with extra chocolate chips, Harry Potter coloring book, Capt. America Civil War, and a pedicure=awesome Mother's Day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I get my new teeth today!!! :D

Finished my first day of shelter rotation! They planned two spays for me to do today, since it usually takes students most of the day to finish that on their first day. Did the first one in 33 minutes, and the second in 40! Second one had a weird vessel hiding in her subQ fat that just bled everywhere, so it took me a little longer to get that under control. Considering that was only spay #3 and #4 for me, and the previous two took about an hour, I'm feeling pretty darn good about myself right now! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finished my first day of shelter rotation! They planned two spays for me to do today, since it usually takes students most of the day to finish that on their first day. Did the first one in 33 minutes, and the second in 40! Second one had a weird vessel hiding in her subQ fat that just bled everywhere, so it took me a little longer to get that under control. Considering that was only spay #3 and #4 for me, and the previous two took about an hour, I'm feeling pretty darn good about myself right now! :)
Nice! I'm on shelter med for my first rotation too. Just started week 2. My actual spay time is getting pretty quick but it's the suturing that's taking me so long! Dang intradermals...

Nice! I'm on shelter med for my first rotation too. Just started week 2. My actual spay time is getting pretty quick but it's the suturing that's taking me so long! Dang intradermals...
The suturing absolutely takes the longest. I'm sure your shelter's teaching you lots of tricks, but at Humane Alliance I got the tip to really turn my body so that I was almost perpendicular to the animal (so you're taking your bites straight towards you as opposed to at a weird angle) and that actually really helped a lot in not popping through the skin or going too deep.

Also if you're allowed to leave a tag from sq to tie down to instead of having to bury, that's like the best.

The suturing absolutely takes the longest. I'm sure your shelter's teaching you lots of tricks, but at Humane Alliance I got the tip to really turn my body so that I was almost perpendicular to the animal (so you're taking your bites straight towards you as opposed to at a weird angle) and that actually really helped a lot in not popping through the skin or going too deep.

Also if you're allowed to leave a tag from sq to tie down to instead of having to bury, that's like the best.
The shelter vet I'm working with takes his intradermal bites perpendicular to the incision, instead of parallel, so he doesn't have to turn his body. His incisions are so small that he places them as simple interrupteds or cruciates, instead of continuous. He actually had to lengthen one of his incisions today because the kitty turned out to be pregnant, and the marble-sized sacs wouldn't fit through his original incision. My incisions are not that small yet!

I was just told the body-turning trick today! Have yet to get to try it though since I was already finished.

I will have to ask about the sq tag...never heard of that. I got my knots to bury on my kitty today but an hour later she had scratched/bitten her abdomen to pieces and we had to re-anesthetize her and suture up all her new lacerations. :annoyed: She definitely hated her new e-collar after that! :laugh:

The shelter vet I'm working with takes his intradermal bites perpendicular to the incision, instead of parallel, so he doesn't have to turn his body. His incisions are so small that he places them as simple interrupteds or cruciates, instead of continuous. He actually had to lengthen one of his incisions today because the kitty turned out to be pregnant, and the marble-sized sacs wouldn't fit through his original incision. My incisions are not that small yet!

You'll get there! I actually have been harassed enough by our pain management guy about visceral pain being worse from stretching than cutting that I don't really aim to get super duper small when on my own, but at HA I definitely had a couple that were closable with two bites and those felt pretty awesome. :D

I was just told the body-turning trick today! Have yet to get to try it though since I was already finished.

I will have to ask about the sq tag...never heard of that. I got my knots to bury on my kitty today but an hour later she had scratched/bitten her abdomen to pieces and we had to re-anesthetize her and suture up all her new lacerations. :annoyed: She definitely hated her new e-collar after that! :laugh:

The vets who originally taught me called leaving the tag a "colorado closure" but I haven't heard that terminology anywhere else. It makes burying (which I to this day suck at) soooo much nicer.

Just took my last final of undergrad! Now nothing until graduation Saturday!

Just took my last final of undergrad! Now nothing until graduation Saturday!

Congrats Wildcat ;). Expect a letter in your mailbox next Monday from Alumni Relations asking you to donate. They don't waste any time with that ****.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats Wildcat ;). Expect a letter in your mailbox next Monday from Alumni Relations asking you to donate. They don't waste any time with that ****.
Best gift my SO has ever not-actually-given-me-but-I-still-benefit-from is him buying a couple's lifetime membership to our alumni association. I don't get any harassing emails/call/letters ever. It is glorious.

This is so true it's not even funny. I had multiple letters from the alumni association before I even received my diploma.

Last edited:
Apple crisp and ice cream at midnight sounds about right.

I need to snag the family sugar cookie recipe so I can use my "101 Animal Cookie Cutters." Then I can spend all night decorating them and watching TV. That needs to be my next nocturnal project.

Michigan State's Alumni Association started calling us a few weeks before we even graduated. Probably hoping to cash in on the fleeting excitement of leaving campus finally.

My jury duty conundrum was sorted out within two minutes of me finally finding time to call during their hours. She literally just said it was their mistake and took care of it right there and then. I was so happy (since I was expecting it to be a huge hassle) I almost cried. Hooray for not having to delay graduation for jury duty

Sent from my VS876 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I just went on the best date at an awesome wine bar in town. Such a good night.

Reactions: 7 users
Just took my last final (screw you, two day Calculus exam) of my last class. I am done with undergraduate classes and just have to wait for transcripts to be sent and processed to get my second bachelor's.

I have an interview tomorrow for the only job I've applied to in the last two months that has excited me (and which will pay me a real wage in line with my education and experience, even if only for a few months). Public health entomologist!

I'm also in talks of starting an MS Entomology degree this fall since I'm betting against getting off my IS waitlist this year. At least the program is funded and offers stipends for teaching and research associateships so I won't be adding to my debt pile. YAY, plans! I'll also get to study med/vet entomology which is what I really want to do and it just so happens that the department is looking to add faculty and projects to that area of study so they need graduate students.

My Sheltie girl and I ran 3 miles today!! :D

It may not seem like much, but with vet school being a turd, I haven't been able to run more than a mile every month or so, and poorly at that. Plus, my Lillie is very, very furry, and I worry about her in the heat (but I wanted to bring her because she adores running and if I leave her she whines and paces/cries the entire time I'm gone). A vet back home recommended a cooling vest, and so I got one and tried it out, gradually increasing our distance.. and she did wonderfully! After I took the vest off she was extremely cool to the touch, and she was hardly panting much at all. I'm extremely pleased at our progress and super happy my running buddy is with me and all-the-while happily staying cool :)

Reactions: 2 users

It may not seem like much, but with vet school being a turd, I haven't been able to run more than a mile every month or so, and poorly at that. Plus, my Lillie is very, very furry, and I worry about her in the heat (but I wanted to bring her because she adores running and if I leave her she whines and paces/cries the entire time I'm gone). A vet back home recommended a cooling vest, and so I got one and tried it out, gradually increasing our distance.. and she did wonderfully! After I took the vest off she was extremely cool to the touch, and she was hardly panting much at all. I'm extremely pleased at our progress and super happy my running buddy is with me and all-the-while happily staying cool :)

Where'd you get that vest? My pup has lar par and can't be out in the heat for long.

I got it from the RuffWear website (you can get it off amazon too): http://www.ruffwear.com/Swamp-Coole...Prevents-Canine-Heat-Exhaustion-from-Ruffwear. I found it works well if you soak it for about 10-15 min in cool water, before runs I dump some ice in there and it easily kept her cool for over 1.5 hours.
Whoa, I need to try this. I have two nordic dogs with very thick double coats. The older one is crankyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the hot weather. Pup hasn't been through a summer yet but already acts pathetic when its above 40* out.

Whoa, I need to try this. I have two nordic dogs with very thick double coats. The older one is crankyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the hot weather. Pup hasn't been through a summer yet but already acts pathetic when its above 40* out.
It's pretty awesome and would definitely recommend it! Granted, I wouldn't wear it first in the house (it could drip the first 5 min or so if you put it on immediately from the water), and my girl was still panting/hot by the end, but she easily kept up the entire time (unlike before with even a mile run), and her fur physically felt like at least 30-40 degrees cooler than the air underneath the vest.

You have a sheltie?? Need pics!!! :love:

She's gorgeous!!!
I want another sheltie. My girl was a sable, she passed away almost 10 years ago now. Best dog ever.
Aww thank you! :love:

She's seriously an amazing pup and couldn't ask for a better companion (even when she dumpster dives or tries to herd the cat :p). Because of her I'll probably always have a Sheltie or two around because I adore the breed to pieces :love: