RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got my school email so I can sign up for VIN and binge read all the posts my vets write :D #creeper#sorrynotsorry
Thank you for reminding me I can sign up now! I wonder if the vets I work with are active on there...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Happy to see that my foster dog seems to be adjusting well to his new foster home. I was upset that I had to take him back to the shelter because I was moving but I'm glad he wasn't there long

Accidentally washed my thermometer, key fob for my car, and my new watch. Both the thermometer AND KEY FOB are still working. I'm counting that as a win

Members don't see this ad :)
Just exchanged all my USD for euros at the bank, booked our first hostel, and have my backpack all packed for hmoo's european adventure of summer 2016 :biglove: so excited! Been looking forward to this trip for 5 years :soexcited:

Reactions: 15 users
I had my hair done today, and got some color for the first time ever! I was never interested in full highlights but a while back decided I'd like ombre, and finally got the chance to do it. I wanted a really pale/cool blonde and the color came out so well, the stylist wanted some pics of the results before I left! So weird not having solidly dark hair anymore. I started shadowing at my vet again this week and will be finishing up next week, so they're all gonna be surprised when they see me haha.

Reactions: 3 users
<1 month until the end of the internship, planning a vacation with my mom, and my boyfriend proposed tonight! :love:

Reactions: 22 users
Just found out that my uncle is taking me on a day trip to Omaha to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo on Wednesday for my birthday + graduation! I've never been but I've heard tons of accolades about it; I'm SO excited! :woot:

<1 month until the end of the internship, planning a vacation with my mom, and my boyfriend proposed tonight! :love:
Ahh! Major congratulations, @scb44f! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
Just found out that my uncle is taking me on a day trip to Omaha to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo on Wednesday for my birthday + graduation! I've never been but I've heard tons of accolades about it; I'm SO excited! :woot:

I was there two years ago, it's an awesome zoo!! Have fun!!

Ugh, this sickness is an giant arsehole. Luckily I've got some great people to help me out. My wonderful boyfriend brought me to urgent care so I could get antibiotic drops for my eye. Turns out I have a corneal abrasion along with the pink eye. Gross. My parents drove to us (100 miles) to drop off my glasses. We went downtown, went to dinner, and got some awesome ice cream. And they brought my dog with them and we were able to find a restaurant that let him come in with us. He did great!

Ugh, this sickness is an giant arsehole. Luckily I've got some great people to help me out. My wonderful boyfriend brought me to urgent care so I could get antibiotic drops for my eye. Turns out I have a corneal abrasion along with the pink eye. Gross. My parents drove to us (100 miles) to drop off my glasses. We went downtown, went to dinner, and got some awesome ice cream. And they brought my dog with them and we were able to find a restaurant that let him come in with us. He did great!
Gross! You keep that pink eye at home!

Just kidding! I hope you feel better!

Instructor told me yesterday he had his hands in his lap for the entire flight and I did everything. I might be soloing after this week.

10/10 will **** my pants.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Instructor told me yesterday he had his hands in his lap for the entire flight and I did everything. I might be soloing after this week.

10/10 will **** my pants.
Sounds like cause for celebration!

I anesthetized my own dog today without having a panic attack.

I hate working on my own pets, but the puppy needed dental X-rays and my boss has been crazy busy lately. Mission accomplished, and also did an operculectomy for an unerupted 405- fingers crossed it works!

I anesthetized my own dog today without having a panic attack.

I hate working on my own pets, but the puppy needed dental X-rays and my boss has been crazy busy lately. Mission accomplished, and also did an operculectomy for an unerupted 405- fingers crossed it works!
Hooray! I'm not sure I'd ever be able to do that. Also, I learned a new word today!

Hooray! I'm not sure I'd ever be able to do that. Also, I learned a new word today!

It's terrifying and I avoid it like the plague. I don't think rationally when it comes to my own. My boss is awesome and does most things for me. But this was time sensitive due to the pups age so I had to "man up"

Boss man will definitely be the one spaying her... I can handle some X-rays but no way am I attempting abdominal surgery on my baby dog.

I saw Twenty One Pilots for the fourth time tonight and IT WAS AMAZING! Any venue, big or small, inside or outside, they always put on a fantastic show. I may not have a voice tomorrow, but it was worth it!

Just purchased a new stereo system for my car. Decided I desperately needed a new one that has AUX input and bluetooth capabilities since I'm moving in a few weeks and want to be able to use Spotify for my 6 hr drive (or just charge my phone). Hopefully I am able to set it up properly.

Today, a 95lb black lab came in. Reason? He happily wags his tail so much that he constantly bangs it hard against walls and furniture, causing it to bust open near the tailtip. It is apparently such a chronic problem for him that rather than continue to (attempt) treating and bandaging a reoccurring wound, the owners have opted to go ahead and amputate the last 2-3 inches, so that he will will no longer bang the tailtip everywhere (hopefully the problem ends there and won't require a more major dock later on). Even as he was being examined he kept trying to wag his tail and hit the table (it hit my leg on his way out too...felt like a whip!) I just found that hilarious :D

Today, a 95lb black lab came in. Reason? He happily wags his tail so much that he constantly bangs it hard against walls and furniture, causing it to bust open near the tailtip. It is apparently such a chronic problem for him that rather than continue to (attempt) treating and bandaging a reoccurring wound, the owners have opted to go ahead and amputate the last 2-3 inches, so that he will will no longer bang the tailtip everywhere (hopefully the problem ends there and won't require a more major dock later on). Even as he was being examined he kept trying to wag his tail and hit the table (it hit my leg on his way out too...felt like a whip!) I just found that hilarious :D

It is called "happy tail".

Reactions: 4 users
I love a wagging tail as much as the next person, but man do those whip tails hurt. That type of tail is actually called a whip tail! I've heard them called rope tails too.

So it's a common-enough occurrence to warrant a nickname? I had no idea, this is the first I've seen and heard of it!

Oh definitely. Pitties get it all the time. We've had clients have a dog with it for so long and tried to manage it in other ways, which resulted in their furniture being covered in plastic. They frequently described their home as looking like a murder scene.

A girl in the year below me had to have her greyhound's tail amputated because of it. My old roomie's greyhound had a brief bought with it. It was kind of hilarious actually. I was getting ready to leave in the morning and was halfway out the front door before I slowly walked back inside. I looked again at the walls and there was blood splattered all over them. Instead of questioning it, I decided to just walk out the door again and head to the school.

Last edited:
I got to observe the tailtip-amputation this morning. Pretty cool!

I watched an ear hematoma repair for the first time the other day. Sooooo much blood :wideyed: Though a couple days before that we were draining a different hematoma and some gross tissue and stuff came out, plus the doc got hit by a nice spray of blood, so that was even more fun.

Bittersweet: only 5 more days at this job

I watched an ear hematoma repair for the first time the other day. Sooooo much blood :wideyed: Though a couple days before that we were draining a different hematoma and some gross tissue and stuff came out, plus the doc got hit by a nice spray of blood, so that was even more fun.

Ha. I remember my first time watching an aural hematoma repair... so gnarly. There was blood all over the table, and some even dripping onto the floor. Fun times cleaning that up. :eek:

Watched a cat enucleation the other day, so much blood there too!

This was my last day shadowing. I'm glad I've gotten the chance to see a wide variety of procedures, both the good and the bad (a pup coming in for neuter died under anesthesia today :( but I saw a fat pet possum come in on Tuesday, lol). Now it's time to prepare for The aquarium internship--starts in 10 days!

Ha. I remember my first time watching an aural hematoma repair... so gnarly. There was blood all over the table, and some even dripping onto the floor. Fun times cleaning that up. :eek:
We did this one on one of our sink tables. Easy cleanup!

Watched a cat enucleation the other day, so much blood there too!

This was my last day shadowing. I'm glad I've gotten the chance to see a wide variety of procedures, both the good and the bad (a pup coming in for neuter died under anesthesia today :( but I saw a fat pet possum come in on Tuesday, lol). Now it's time to prepare for The aquarium internship--starts in 10 days!
You doing the internship at TSA?

I got to be a part of a very cool interventional radiology procedure today. It was super stressful at the time, but really neat to reflect back on. Here's to hoping the patient continues to do well...

Small rave: Couldn't sleep last night, so I stayed up and did the pilled up laundry. Realized I had never gone up our school hill (has a giant C) for a sunrise ever. It's almost considered a right of passage here and I never managed it during undergrad. So I decided to go for it this morning and it was just awesome. Makes me love the town and school even more (despite all the rants this last year) and makes me sad that there are only 26 days left here for me.

With school being awful and with my parent's rocky recovery from their car accident, I've been in a bit of a funk lately. So to release some steam in the past month or so I've been running more and more miles. Well today it paid off because I finally completed my first 5K! :)

Reactions: 13 users
Food rave: got the mozzarella sticks I've been craving for three days now!!!

I used to see so many of those at my mixed clinic! It was always someone's hunting dog (almost always a lab). The clots were always HUGE. and I myself would get squirted almost every time.

I would never have thought that so many people would ask when and where we would be getting married within 1 week of getting engaged. People also assume that I helped him pick out the ring. What I love about my fiance is that he knows me so incredibly well that I gave zero input and I LOVE what he chose.

Also, he has already chosen the song for our first dance (something I had never heard before, but fits our relationsip). He has a knack for this, I tell ya...

Reactions: 4 users
All these posts gave me really high expectations for the aural hematoma I helped out with yesterday. It ended up being super clean and tidy, with no blood spurting anywhere. Which is good, but I was expecting more excitement haha.

Welp I'm in Davis, CA. It is frickin' hot here folks. Took a 30 minute walk to a grocery store and back and I am just dripping. Also ridiculously tired considering I was up at 3:20 this morning, but I like California so far :D

Rave is that I'm in California! It's gonna be epic.

I would never have thought that so many people would ask when and where we would be getting married within 1 week of getting engaged. People also assume that I helped him pick out the ring. What I love about my fiance is that he knows me so incredibly well that I gave zero input and I LOVE what he chose.

Also, he has already chosen the song for our first dance (something I had never heard before, but fits our relationsip). He has a knack for this, I tell ya...
The very next day I had people asking me when. And just bombarding me with wedding stuff. And, on the other hand, I picked out my ring a year ago and everyone keeps congratulating him on his good taste :laugh:

Today I went shopping with my mom. I had put my phone, which is also my wallet, in the cart my mom was pushing around. We were chatting it up so that when she went to put the cart up, neither of us thought about the phone. It took all of two minutes between leaving the store and my realization that I didn't have my phone on me. My mom rushed back inside and then went to guest services...but nothing. I tried my best to keep my composure--but I'd just lost my phone (that I can't afford to replace right now), debit and credit cards, drivers license, school ID card, and a bit of cash. In a panic, I called my bank to cancel my card and the woman on the phone recommended that we go back to guest services to see if anything was caught on the security cameras. I'm on the verge of tears at this point, but we go back inside and wait in the line to make our request. About 10 minutes have passed now from when my phone/wallet were left in the cart and I do not have high hopes for getting any of my belongings back...but as I'm waiting in line, a teenage boy comes up to me, my phone in hand. I immediately burst into tears and hug the kid, hug my mom, blubber on some more, probably weirding the poor kid out...

I guess there are still good people left in this world.

Reactions: 6 users
My boyfriend and I are leaving on our roadtrip tomorrow! In 72 hours (give or take) I'll be in NYC, we'll be spending a week there, and then driving down to Florida to spend another week there! I'm sure I'll be posting tons of pictures on Facebook for those of you that I'm friends with. :D

Reactions: 2 users
Welp I'm in Davis, CA. It is frickin' hot here folks. Took a 30 minute walk to a grocery store and back and I am just dripping. Also ridiculously tired considering I was up at 3:20 this morning, but I like California so far :D

Rave is that I'm in California! It's gonna be epic.

Come to AZ! :heckyeah:

Oh my gooddddd tonight's game of thrones has me so ****ing excited for the last couple episodes.

dizzy.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Holy ****, I think we found our wedding/reception location. :eek:

Edit: we wanted a place that was indoors, that his brother can officiate, that we can bring our own booze and food to, and that doesn't carry a several thousand dollar price tag. I thought it impossible.

First day of fourth year! I haven't been in clinics in like three months and I feel like my brain has turned to mush!

New car stereo came today!! The set up is a little more involved than I was hoping so I'd like to have my dad on standby so I don't eff things up. I needed to upgrade something witb Bluetooth, Aux and USB since I'm making a 6 hour move and hate losing radio stations.