RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thunderstorms all day and the kitty has been more affectionate than usual since they started. I love snuggling my buddy while thunder rumbles outside. :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Added a second kitty to my life :)

Attachments

• 73116.jpg
    73116.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eleanor :)

Both my kitties have been adult shelter cats and I have a policy of keeping their names. Just feels weird to change them.
This would be highly amusing if you had adopted from our shelter. We once had somebody name a cat Seal because it was a seal point siamese.

Other favorite cat names include Donkey, Lil Bit, Dulac, Dracula (this was a cat that bit 3 people), Google, and Cream Cheese.

Reactions: 1 users
This would be highly amusing if you had adopted from our shelter. We once had somebody name a cat Seal because it was a seal point siamese.

Other favorite cat names include Donkey, Lil Bit, Dulac, Dracula (this was a cat that bit 3 people), Google, and Cream Cheese.

My other girl is named Ripley. So far I've never been faced with a situation where I absolutely hated the name:)

My shelter cat was FC1359 or something like that. Was called "White Cat" long enough in the household while I was indecisive that I still accidentally call her that sometimes...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Eleanor :)

Both my kitties have been adult shelter cats and I have a policy of keeping their names. Just feels weird to change them.
Haha my dogs name was mcjingles (it was Christmas time, the pets had a theme). He responded immediately to his new name, and not at all to his shelter name!

I'm planning on adopting a kitty in the next month or so, I'm super excited for picking out a name.

All this kitty talk is making me jealous.... I really want a other cat but I know I shouldn't. (I already have three spoiled felines....)

Edit: I guess I will live vicariously through you all of you and your kitties. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Bought Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today, and of course my nostalgic nerd-self is ecstatic to read it! :love:

Reactions: 4 users
I got it on my Kindle so I could have it right away. I started it at midnight
I ordered a physical copy (my dumb self forgot to pre-order, rawr!) but I've been thinking about getting a kindle edition too...so I can read it like now

Members don't see this ad :)
Signed a lease for a building to hold my dog training classes in! So excited, it's a perfect location and size and price, and we are almost ready to open. :D

I need to order my copy cause I forgot to pre-order it. Not that I'll have time to read it...

I just bought it at Target today! There are definitely places that have it in stock if you just want to go buy it

What's it like reading it in play form? Just in general.
I just finished it, and I really liked it even though I knew it would be a quite different read. There's a few sentences here and there regarding scene and actions, so it's not all speaking, but it is the majority of it, which is something to get used to. I did miss the novel feel though, and sometimes I had to re-read the character's words to get a feel for a tone, but I adjusted as I went and I barely noticed it at the end (If you have a good imagination you can kinda play it out in your head as you go and create your own tone, though I know some want it more fleshed out like in a true novel). I also felt the transitions were kinda short/choppy at first, but I wasn't aware of the timeline so once I was half-way through that issue faded away.

Bottom line: Not nearly as good as what a full novel would be, but it's still an easy read and if you are a Potterhead like me you'll probably love it anyways.

I just finished it, and I really liked it even though I knew it would be a quite different read. There's a few sentences here and there regarding scene and actions, so it's not all speaking, but it is the majority of it, which is something to get used to. I did miss the novel feel though, and sometimes I had to re-read the character's words to get a feel for a tone, but I adjusted as I went and I barely noticed it at the end (If you have a good imagination you can kinda play it out in your head as you go and create your own tone, though I know some want it more fleshed out like in a true novel). I also felt the transitions were kinda short/choppy at first, but I wasn't aware of the timeline so once I was half-way through that issue faded away.

Bottom line: Not nearly as good as what a full novel would be, but it's still an easy read and if you are a Potterhead like me you'll probably love it anyways.
Oh and I guess I should add that while reading it I had a hard time 100% believing J.K Rowling wrote this because it's a script so it reads so differently than her novels, which could be a problem for some. I guess I kinda ignored that part and just let the nostalgia take me through :p

Oh and I guess I should add that while reading it I had a hard time 100% believing J.K Rowling wrote this because it's a script so it reads so differently than her novels, which could be a problem for some. I guess I kinda ignored that part and just let the nostalgia take me through :p
I was wondering if it's because she didn't write it alone and/or it was specifically written as a play and not a novel

I was wondering if it's because she didn't write it alone and/or it was specifically written as a play and not a novel
Well that's just it, even scenes taken "directly" from the books were slightly different so I think it was due to the fact it is a play and not a book. I honestly think the biggest issue is that a lot of people are reading this script expecting it to read just like a novel and not like the play that it is.

Today marks my one year anniversary on SDN :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
I get the distinct feeling that some people reading it (not people here but based on some things I've seen around the internet) have never read a play before o_O

This is sadly probably true. When I do read it, it'll be weird at first because it's been a while since I've read one since I think the last time was the American Beauty script as a freshman in college.

So my SO is going to med school in North Carolina so we are doing long distance while I'm in vet school. His white coat ceremony is this Friday, and mine isn't until next Friday. Initially we didn't think either of us would be able to make it to each other's white coat ceremonies because we were both moving across the country, starting school, and just being all around too busy to fly 1000 miles. Turns out that the move went much smoother than expected for me and I have nothing until orientation starts the middle of next week. My parents work for the airlines, so I have flying benefits, and the flights to Raleigh are wide open this weekend, so now I get to fly out to surprise him! That means rather than going 8 weeks of long distance we will have only had to do two, and then he comes to see me for Labor Day. I am so excited.

Reactions: 12 users
In reading reviews for The Cursed Child, I made another discovery of my Harry Potter dreams. Apparently, there is a guy out there who is writing a fan series about the next generation of Potter/Weasley kids. Im only on book one, but so far it is AMAZING!

http://www.jamespotterseries.com/muggle_index.html

You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Finished day 7 of the 7-day workweek today. Finally get to sleep in tonight :heckyeah:

Reactions: 3 users
I get the distinct feeling that some people reading it (not people here but based on some things I've seen around the internet) have never read a play before o_O
I read it last night, went to enter it into goodreads, and happened to look at some of the reviews. Omg.

"I don't know, I just didn't like the play format, and wow JKR definitely didn't write this."

This is why I don't bother with goodreads reviews...

I read it last night, went to enter it into goodreads, and happened to look at some of the reviews. Omg.

"I don't know, I just didn't like the play format, and wow JKR definitely didn't write this."

This is why I don't bother with goodreads reviews...

Was it worth the read?

It seems like the reviews were pretty split between pretty good and "OMG why did JKR allow someone to officially publish this with her name on it!?!" So I'm kinda scared to read it. Although a little bird said I may or may not be getting it for my birthday.

Was it worth the read?

It seems like the reviews were pretty split between pretty good and "OMG why did JKR allow someone to officially publish this with her name on it!?!" So I'm kinda scared to read it. Although a little bird said I may or may not be getting it for my birthday.

I really enjoyed it, wish I could see the play. I just think it's pretty dumb for people to be like "Yeah, I didn't like the format" when you knows it's a screenplay going into it...it's like reading a book of poetry and complaining that there are poems in it. As far as the authors go, yeah, she had help, because writing a screenplay is fundamentally different from writing a novel. So of course if it's the screenplay they're using for the show there's no way she's writing the whole thing. It didn't bother me at all.

I really enjoyed it, wish I could see the play. I just think it's pretty dumb for people to be like "Yeah, I didn't like the format" when you knows it's a screenplay going into it...it's like reading a book of poetry and complaining that there are poems in it. As far as the authors go, yeah, she had help, because writing a screenplay is fundamentally different from writing a novel. So of course if it's the screenplay they're using for the show there's no way she's writing the whole thing. It didn't bother me at all.

I liked it as well. I think most people are used to the novel style of her writing (which is AMAZING), but I find it helps to try to really read it aloud (even in your head, if that makes sense to other people?). Add some movement, try to imagine costumes and scene changes. I am an actress, so being imaginative with these things comes second nature to me, but I realize it may be more difficult for others! If you can go in with that open mind, I think you'll like the script. Even if you can't get behind the writing style, the content is enough for any Potterhead to go nuts over! #keepthesecrets

So my SO is going to med school in North Carolina so we are doing long distance while I'm in vet school. His white coat ceremony is this Friday, and mine isn't until next Friday. Initially we didn't think either of us would be able to make it to each other's white coat ceremonies because we were both moving across the country, starting school, and just being all around too busy to fly 1000 miles. Turns out that the move went much smoother than expected for me and I have nothing until orientation starts the middle of next week. My parents work for the airlines, so I have flying benefits, and the flights to Raleigh are wide open this weekend, so now I get to fly out to surprise him! That means rather than going 8 weeks of long distance we will have only had to do two, and then he comes to see me for Labor Day. I am so excited.
Not sure if you'll have any extra time, but let me know if you want to grab a drink or something. :D

Nearly two months after I had my shoes confiscated for radioactivity, I have finally gotten around to getting a new pair! They are sooo comfy and my feet and joints are quite pleased! They are super white though...but that was the cheapest version so meh. Yay peroxide ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Nearly two months after I had my shoes confiscated for radioactivity, I have finally gotten around to getting a new pair! They are sooo comfy and my feet and joints are quite pleased! They are super white though...but that was the cheapest version so meh. Yay peroxide ;)

My first thought was "wait, why has this person gone two months with no shoes?!"

Yesterday was my second day at the SA private practice I joined. Some not so nice things were said by a client to me. I was upset but trying not to be. The staff members and the other vet with me backed me up and although I still feel a little ****ty about the case, I'm so goddamn thankful to work with people who have my back right off the bat.

Edit: I don't think I'll be doing SA in suburbia forever. But I suppose this is just the first week...

Reactions: 4 users
Yesterday was my second day at the SA private practice I joined. Some not so nice things were said by a client to me. I was upset but trying not to be. The staff members and the other vet with me backed me up and although I still feel a little ****ty about the case, I'm so goddamn thankful to work with people who have my back right off the bat.

Edit: I don't think I'll be doing SA in suburbia forever. But I suppose this is just the first week...

People can be real poops. There are good people too, though. Give it more time - maybe you just got unlucky and got stuck with a poop right at the beginning.

And some people just don't like new people. We have a long time client that's notorious for finding SOMETHING to yell at new people about. Last week our new receptionist was trying to check her out and when she gave her the total she said "If you're going to live here you need to talk like an American!" (this new receptionist is from England).

You can't take it personally ...