RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first Blue Apron meal was a success! Seared chicken and fregola sarda with salsa verde, corn and tomato. It took about an hour to make (around 20 minutes longer than the recipe said) but I didn't screw it up! It was a rather tasty mix of flavors and ingredients that I never would have thought of.
View attachment 208434
Haha I'm making that tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My first Blue Apron meal was a success! Seared chicken and fregola sarda with salsa verde, corn and tomato. It took about an hour to make (around 20 minutes longer than the recipe said) but I didn't screw it up! It was a rather tasty mix of flavors and ingredients that I never would have thought of.
View attachment 208434
I made that meal yesterday...was not a fan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying it for the first time! I'm pretty convinced I can pay the same amount and get enough food for 3 meals a day for a week from the grocery store, so it's not cost effective for me (except this week with the discount). I got some yummy stuff out of Hello Fresh, so I'm hoping for similar results with Blue Apron.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys really liking Blue Apron?
I just got it for one week with a major coupon (paid $9.99 for 3 meals). First meal was delicious, didn't care for the 2nd, and making the 3rd tomorrow. Prep time/cooking time was a lot longer than I'm used to but it did give me some ideas for future meals. Definitely not going to pay full price though.

I'm trying it for the first time! I'm pretty convinced I can pay the same amount and get enough food for 3 meals a day for a week from the grocery store, so it's not cost effective for me (except this week with the discount). I got some yummy stuff out of Hello Fresh, so I'm hoping for similar results with Blue Apron.

I just got it for one week with a major coupon (paid $9.99 for 3 meals). First meal was delicious, didn't care for the 2nd, and making the 3rd tomorrow. Prep time/cooking time was a lot longer than I'm used to but it did give me some ideas for future meals. Definitely not going to pay full price though.

Thanks! I've been debating for a while about trying it out. I'm not a fan of over an hour prep times. How was Hello Fresh, @WildZoo? Maybe I'll try it when I move to Oregon. Would be nice to at least try some new recipes and have the ingredients delivered. Sometimes I want to try a new recipe and I end up having to buy a whole bunch of stuff. Idk, I'll keep debating. Let me know how the next recipes go. :)

Thanks! I've been debating for a while about trying it out. I'm not a fan of over an hour prep times. How was Hello Fresh, @WildZoo? Maybe I'll try it when I move to Oregon. Would be nice to at least try some new recipes and have the ingredients delivered. Sometimes I want to try a new recipe and I end up having to buy a whole bunch of stuff. Idk, I'll keep debating. Let me know how the next recipes go. :)
I didn't time it and I set aside a good part of my weekend to cooking for the week so I really have no idea how long it took, or if it took more or less time than when I do my own thing. The food was good though and I got 3-4 meals out of each 2 person meal. It's really just the cost, otherwise I would keep doing one or the other.

Are you guys really liking Blue Apron?
At full price it's definitely not cheaper than grocery shopping, but if you make it into six meals (since it's intended for two people) it's roughly the same price or cheaper than eating out some place similar in quality. You could even split it up further, the portions are fairly large. I don't mind cooking, but I'm very lazy about buying ingredients and deciding what to make, so this takes that out of the equation. And their recipes are healthier and more interesting than anything I'd come up with on my own. It's definitely time-intensive and I don't plan on getting it every week, but so far it's fun!

I think it's funny how everyone says it's more than 2 meals worth of food too, if my husband ate any less for dinner he would starve. It's already way less than he normally eats for dinner and stays skinny. We definitely didn't have any leftovers with him around.

At full price it's definitely not cheaper than grocery shopping, but if you make it into six meals (since it's intended for two people) it's roughly the same price or cheaper than eating out some place similar in quality. You could even split it up further, the portions are fairly large. I don't mind cooking, but I'm very lazy about buying ingredients and deciding what to make, so this takes that out of the equation. And their recipes are healthier and more interesting than anything I'd come up with on my own. It's definitely time-intensive and I don't plan on getting it every week, but so far it's fun!
I've found the USDA super helpful for budget friendly healthy recipes!
http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/usda_cookbooks

I am similarly lazy about grocery shopping (plus doing it by myself is lame). I'm thinking of trying walmart's online grocery shopping thing. They only do pick-up in my area but at least all I wouldn't have to actually spend the time searching for things.

I've found the USDA super helpful for budget friendly healthy recipes!
http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/usda_cookbooks

I am similarly lazy about grocery shopping (plus doing it by myself is lame). I'm thinking of trying walmart's online grocery shopping thing. They only do pick-up in my area but at least all I wouldn't have to actually spend the time searching for things.
Lol you're too funny

Lol you're too funny
I always wander around forever looking for the last thing on my list! And then I forget stuff!

I needed to get breakfast foods yesterday so I stopped at Publix, and this morning I realized I forgot to get eggs so I can't make my banana pancakes :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I always wander around forever looking for the last thing on my list! And then I forget stuff!

I needed to get breakfast foods yesterday so I stopped at Publix, and this morning I realized I forgot to get eggs so I can't make my banana pancakes :(
Substitutions? Bummer. I take forever at the store but it's always an experience. Lol

I always love getting new glasses. I'm extremely nearsighted/myopic and when I drove up to Ames, I had a really hard time reading road signs (even the big ones on the interstates) until I was virtually right up on them, so obviously my prescription had gotten quite a bit worse. Hell, even reading PowerPoints during lecture was difficult despite always sitting in the front two rows.

I've been using my new glasses for a good two hours or so and man oh man is it nice to be able to clearly see things farther than ten feet away again. :D

Reactions: 4 users
I always love getting new glasses. I'm extremely nearsighted/myopic and when I drove up to Ames, I had a really hard time reading road signs (even the big ones on the interstates) until I was virtually right up on them, so obviously my prescription had gotten quite a bit worse. Hell, even reading PowerPoints during lecture was difficult despite always sitting in the front two rows.

I've been using my new glasses for a good two hours or so and man oh man is it nice to be able to clearly see things farther than ten feet away again. :D
My prescription changes a lot every year and I hate getting new glasses because usually they've changed so much that I get headaches for the first day or two when I wear them. It's nice being able to see though!

My prescription stayed the same for a good like 5 years or so and my doctor and I decided on lasik. I'm so happy I was eligible and did it! No glasses/contacts for me thank you! Though I'll probably need reading glasses in like 10 years or so.

My prescription stayed the same for a good like 5 years or so and my doctor and I decided on lasik. I'm so happy I was eligible and did it! No glasses/contacts for me thank you! Though I'll probably need reading glasses in like 10 years or so.
I would love to get lasik but I feel like I would just end up needing to wear glasses 24/7 again by my mid-30s. There's also the issue of needing your prescription to be stable for a while before you get it, and while my prescription has been changing less as I get older it does still change a decent amount each year.

Yeah I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the same prescription for so long. I did have one adjustment on one eye 6 months after because it wasn't perfect but it was less of a big deal than the first round and was included in the original cost. It's been at least 6 years since I did it, I can't remember exactly but I love waking up in the morning and being able to see. I could only see clearly about 5 inches in front of my face before and had glasses since 2nd grade.

My prescription has stayed stable for about 8 years now... Lasik is definitely in the plans for as soon as the vet school loans are paid off.

Reactions: 3 users
I got PRK done about 7 years ago (dang, has it been that long already?). I'm definitely glad I did it, even though my eyes weren't that bad at the time. I was done wearing glasses/contacts after 1 deployment and didnt want to deal with them again.

My wife also got PRK done a little bit after me. But hers didn't work very well. It might have been due to pregnancy, I've heard that it can make your eyes worse, but don't know if that's actually true or not. She was back to needing glasses after only about 3 years.

Yeah I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the same prescription for so long. I did have one adjustment on one eye 6 months after because it wasn't perfect but it was less of a big deal than the first round and was included in the original cost. It's been at least 6 years since I did it, I can't remember exactly but I love waking up in the morning and being able to see. I could only see clearly about 5 inches in front of my face before and had glasses since 2nd grade.

Did you pay out of pocket, or are you a lucky duck whose insurance paid for it? It's on my list for once I get a big kid job, when my residency is over. I've had a stable prescription for 5+ years, and I would LOVE to go camping, swimming, or even just wake up from a nap and be able to see.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you pay out of pocket, or are you a lucky duck whose insurance paid for it? It's on my list for once I get a big kid job, when my residency is over. I've had a stable prescription for 5+ years, and I would LOVE to go camping, swimming, or even just wake up from a nap and be able to see.

I paid out of pocket. I've only had vision insurance for like 2 years of my life and sadly not then. I did get some sort of discount because of the optometrist I went to, who is now retired. I was nervous about doing it after thinking about it for a few years but for some reason it made me feel better that my pretty old man eye doctor approved... Silly probably.

I want lasik sooo bad! I hear it costs money though?:bigtears:

I am currently wearing a pair that have puppy and child tooth marks in them, obvious scratches, and most of the anti-scratch and glare coating worn off. (That started a month after I got them. I was told it is because they should just live in their case at all times to have the coating be most effective.:meh:)

I need cheap glasses until I can get the lasik. #LifeGoals

I've heard you can get lasiks for floaters, and mine are pretty bad. I'd love to have it done but I haven't even spoken to a dr about it yet.

I'm not sure if I had floaters or just dust on my contacts? Whatever it was I don't have it anymore.

I've heard you can get lasiks for floaters, and mine are pretty bad. I'd love to have it done but I haven't even spoken to a dr about it yet.
If that's true, it's even higher on the "things to do once I have a grown up job" list!

So blind........ -5.75 or -6. Depends on the day :oops::peeking:

Mine were too! I wore coke bottle glasses when I was in elementary school. Got contacts in 5th grade which was really early back then but doesn't seem to be anymore. When I had to go back to glasses in high school I was so happy they were thinner.

Hey don't sleep in your contacts if they're not made for that. It gives you little bubbly blisters on your inner eyelids.

I love the animals I pet sit for. I'm gonna miss them! Especially this old lady dog. She doesn't like just anyone so she makes me feel a little special.

I think it's funny how everyone says it's more than 2 meals worth of food too, if my husband ate any less for dinner he would starve. It's already way less than he normally eats for dinner and stays skinny. We definitely didn't have any leftovers with him around.

I essentially cook as though for three people instead of two because of this problem.

May actually be able to get off for NAVC and will only be using my first set of vacation which means I still get my 2nd week off for later in the year!

May actually be able to get off for NAVC and will only be using my first set of vacation which means I still get my 2nd week off for later in the year!
That's awesome! Still trying to see if I can get a day off clinics to head to NAVC. I'll only be 3 hours away!

Random rave: Got my last eval last night and it's the best one I've ever gotten! Said I was in the top 1% of externs and they'd love to see me as an intern and maybe a surgery resident :D :D :D That definitely made my whole week.

Reactions: 10 users
I wish I could quality for LASIK.

I feel like I should be able to find a joke here, but my brain just says no.

Also, I think I'm one of the few people in the world who would rather have glasses. They hide the giant sleep deprived bags under my eyes. My criteria for getting LASIK is needing bifocals, because that just sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
First day of vet school was a success! :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users

Also, I think I'm one of the few people in the world who would rather have glasses. They hide the giant sleep deprived bags under my eyes. My criteria for getting LASIK is needing bifocals, because that just sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

I'm the same. I don't even have contacts :bucktooth:

I actually hate wearing glasses but I think I look so much better. Especially with trying to grow out this pixie, I gotta use what I've got.

Posted on FB when I found out and somehow forgot to post here:

Minnesota's lab animal residency is in the match for this cycle! They told me originally that it was happening but no way would it be ready for me, but it is!

Now I get the dilemma of weighing all the various pros and cons, though I still have to learn more about the program.

I wasn't supposed to have to have this option but I'm still super excited about it!

Sent from my VS876 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
These cotton candy grapes are amazing. It's a shame they're like $4/lb.

I saw a ridiculous number of patients in August and got my highest monthly production yet.

I'm not paid on production but it's nice when your boss comments on it and how hard you've been working.

But dang, I'm ready for vacation! (And for "busy season" to be over)

Reactions: 4 users
Heading to Montreal for the long weekend after lecture today! So excited but I haven't spoken French out loud since about high school.. Hopefully people take pity on me and are willing to speak English.