RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did but I feel like we use the least stickiest brand of white tape ever. I'm surprised that a lot of our catheters stay in half the time.

I swear the Johnson brand stuff has gotten so much less sticky. I have no idea why. We have another brand that is way stickier - I'd have to see what it is - but it's almost too far the other way. Like, it pulls out hair. So we kinda use a combo depending on what we are doing and how long a catheter has to stay in.

Members don't see this ad.

I swear the Johnson brand stuff has gotten so much less sticky. I have no idea why. We have another brand that is way stickier - I'd have to see what it is - but it's almost too far the other way. Like, it pulls out hair. So we kinda use a combo depending on what we are doing and how long a catheter has to stay in.
I did but I feel like we use the least stickiest brand of white tape ever. I'm surprised that a lot of our catheters stay in half the time.
Have you guys tried Dermapore? I really like its adhesion (it's also latex free so I can handle it without gloves, which makes anything dealing with tape way easier) and it seems to be gentle on fur and feathers. I'm not sure if it's intended to be an all-purpose tape, but we kind of use whatever we have in the wildlife clinic. I also feel the standard 'white tape' for catheters doesn't do jack.

Members don't see this ad :)
T-minus 36 hours until I'm stuffing my face with all things fried and delicious at the State Fair of Texas!!! :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Last finals week EVER is finally OVER!!!

White Coat Ceremony is only 2 days away!! Hello clinics, goooooodbye class! :D

Reactions: 18 users
Happy birthday @hazelmoo!

CdqF2U3.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Yes, happy birthday, @hazelmoo! I know I already said it on FB but you're so awesome that I'm going to say it again. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting this week my only days till 5 are Monday and Tuesday instead of M-W :D the week already seems so much shorter knowing tomorrow's my last long day this week!

Nothing quite makes a day when you hear from your senior clinician that you have a fantastic knowledge base (something he doesn't say to many students, apparently), and I'll make a great veterinarian. I was asked if I wanted to do an onco residency, but just want to go into GP. He said he would be a reference for me for interviews, which is wonderful! It's been starting to become a real struggle in clinics, and just something I really needed to hear tonight.
Now, just have to transfer my patient in the morning and then onward to Asheville on Thursday!!

Reactions: 10 users
Nothing quite makes a day when you hear from your senior clinician that you have a fantastic knowledge base (something he doesn't say to many students, apparently), and I'll make a great veterinarian. I was asked if I wanted to do an onco residency, but just want to go into GP. He said he would be a reference for me for interviews, which is wonderful! It's been starting to become a real struggle in clinics, and just something I really needed to hear tonight.
Now, just have to transfer my patient in the morning and then onward to Asheville on Thursday!!
Humane Alliance? It's awesomeeeee. And good job :)

Feeling extremely lucky, as I was just offered an externship at the Georgia Aquarium as a 2nd year student :soexcited: So glad I went to AAZV, networking is everything sometimes.:claps:

Reactions: 12 users
Is it bad that I was super excited to actually find morulae on a blood smear of a thrombocytopenia dog?

They were kind of fighting me on money so I may be able to save them some money in regards to diagnostics now.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a minor rant just before my supper break today at all of the crap that was booked for me tonight. Evenings are supposed to be simple stuff - vaccines, wellness checks, maybe a hot spot or something, because its just one doc and two receptionists, but no tech. (Though obviously if an emergency walks in we deal with it). But tonight, it was all bloodwork, euthanasia, sick and needs a work up, etc. Oh and there were 6 of them, all booked into 15 minute slots. None of these needed to be done tonight and I was like 'Great, guess I'm stuck here late tonight...'

The rave was that as I was coming back from supper my tech (on her way out) handed my a chocolate chip cookie and said 'Smile'. And three of my appointments cancelled. The bloodwork and the euthanasia both showed up, but were both big dogs with stovepipe veins so had receptionist hold off and both went really well. And I got out just after closing at 8PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
My new rug finally came. It's going to fit my living room much better and I'm still really happy that I was able to get it 60% off from World Market. It's hard to find nice large rugs (it's an 8 X 10) under $200. I'm hoping it looks great when I roll it out later. Now I have to clean everything, move the bunnies, and roll up the smaller rug.
I also want to decorate for Halloween, which I've been putting off until the rug was down so I get to finally do that this weekend. Yay!

Because I'm a silver lining kind of person....
Yay, I caught my cat's first episode of FLUDT before he blocked or peed on anything outside the litter box. (Although, boo, now he has FLUDT, which I triggered by taking him in for annuals...) Now here's hoping that pain meds make the poor guy feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My new rug finally came. It's going to fit my living room much better and I'm still really happy that I was able to get it 60% off from World Market. It's hard to find nice large rugs (it's an 8 X 10) under $200. I'm hoping it looks great when I roll it out later. Now I have to clean everything, move the bunnies, and roll up the smaller rug.
I also want to decorate for Halloween, which I've been putting off until the rug was down so I get to finally do that this weekend. Yay!
9906001.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Finally got a chance to go out to my trainer's farm and ride some horses (I did showjumping at the grand prix level before starting vet school, so going from riding 5-8 horses a day to riding once a week if I'm lucky has been a big adjustment), and feel like it totally recharged me. I needed the mental break after a tough couple of weeks and feel like I finally took a deep breath for the first time in a while. Nothing like a little equine therapy! :love:

Haven't been sleeping well at all the past few weeks. So when I got home from helping out with interviews today, I immediately collapsed onto my bed and passed out. Just woke up. It's been... 4 hours?

But ohmagerd, naps are amazing. I need to do this more often.

Haven't been sleeping well at all the past few weeks. So when I got home from helping out with interviews today, I immediately collapsed into bed and passed out. Just woke up. It's been... 4 hours?

But ohmagerd, naps are amazing. I need to do this more often.
Wouldn't recommend taking a 4 hour nap every day (I did take a 3 hour one the last time I decided to lie down without setting an alarm...whoops), but I will take a 30-45 minute one when I get home from class to recharge (on days I'm not exercising). Sleep is right up there with food for me - top priorities.

Wouldn't recommend taking a 4 hour nap every day (I did take a 3 hour one the last time I decided to lie down without setting an alarm...whoops), but I will take a 30-45 minute one when I get home from class to recharge (on days I'm not exercising). Sleep is right up there with food for me - top priorities.
I can't nap for less than 90 minutes. I'll set an alarm, but I just can't make myself get up. :oops:

I've been doing morning shifts at one job and afternoon shifts at the other, so I've been taking 3 ish naps a week when I have a break in the afternoon. Naps are the most wonderful thing and they make me feel so spoiled.

My raves of the day:
  • I went to an Alpaca farm!
  • It's pumpkin-stravaganza at my house, as I made roasted pumpkin seeds, carved a pumpkin, and am currently making pumpkin pie and pumpkin cupcakes (I may or may not have underestimated how much puree I could make out of two pie pumpkins and had to come up with some backup plans)
  • My roommate is making me dinner as I type this
  • I got the highest grade in the class on my most recent epidemiology homework assignment and my professor just curved the grade on that homework up anyway so I don't have to worry about that class for once.

Reactions: 7 users
Our speaker in Career Development class today brought us candy! :hungry:

Thank Dog for nice fall weather, backyards filled with animals, Food Delivery, Rock and Roll, and a bottle of wine to ease the pain life inflicts when ambitions are squashed for a bit and renewal of determination is needed.

Reactions: 4 users
Going on a class trip to Texas A&M's CVM tomorrow :heckyeah: It's gonna take us literally 12 hours total (leaving at 7am and returning around 7:30pm) for ~4hr actual tour time, lol. I've been to TAMU for events in the past, but have never seen the vet school!

Going on a class trip to Texas A&M's CVM tomorrow :heckyeah: It's gonna take us literally 12 hours total (leaving at 7am and returning around 7:30pm) for ~4hr actual tour time, lol. I've been to TAMU for events in the past, but have never seen the vet school!

From someone who attends classes at the new vet school for my graduate classes, it's awesome! They aren't completely done with it yet, but mostly so. You're gonna have a blast! Hope you enjoy your tour! :)

I just had some raspberry cheesecake talenti. It's my favorite :hungry:
I have black cherry, vanilla bean, pistachio, and chocolate chip. Chocolate chip was fine, nothing special but the cherry one is really good. I haven't tried the others yet. I'm partial to cherry flavored things though. The Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is my other favorite ice cream. I'll have to try the raspberry cheesecake!

I love mint everything, chocolate everything, vanilla everything . . . hmm mmmm.

Reactions: 2 users
I have black cherry, vanilla bean, pistachio, and chocolate chip. Chocolate chip was fine, nothing special but the cherry one is really good. I haven't tried the others yet. I'm partial to cherry flavored things though. The Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is my other favorite ice cream. I'll have to try the raspberry cheesecake!
Their vanilla is my favorite thing besides Ben and Jerry's Cinnamon Buns!

If you haven't eaten the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Talenti then you don't have a real favorite yet. I also love the butter pecan.
One time I accidently left that one out a little too long, and the peanut butter cups all sunk to the bottom. It made me very sad.

Lost my brand new phone in the library parking lot (yeah...I'm stupid). Which should be a rant but someone turned it in. Yay humanity!

This is sort of a weird thing to rave about here, but I have finally found a couple of Plan B's that I'm excited about! I've been trying to imagine life outside of vet med in the case that I'm rejected again. I have the start of a back-up plan in place, and it's a really great feeling.

Reactions: 14 users

ImageUploadedBySDN1477750046.856575.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1477750067.124401.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1477750085.508688.jpg

It was awesome...just makes me want to get in somewhere already (and get to clinical year ) sigh..

Reactions: 2 users
Did my first cat neuter today!! It was so fun!

Hopefully the first of thousands :biglove:

Reactions: 12 users