RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bought size 2 jeans yesterday when almost a year and a half ago I wore a 12. I call that a win.

I also am loving Asheville, so so much. Really hoping I can find a job in this area (within an hours drive of Asheville) post graduation. I went on 4 hikes this weekend, and it was absolutely gorgeous :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 19 users
I bought size 2 jeans yesterday when almost a year and a half ago I wore a 12. I call that a win.

I also am loving Asheville, so so much. Really hoping I can find a job in this area (within an hours drive of Asheville) post graduation. I went on 4 hikes this weekend, and it was absolutely gorgeous :love:

I'm on that journey now - amazing feeling! Great work :D

Reactions: 3 users
My apartment is clean, lunch and dinner is made for the week, and now I'm snuggling with the cats watching a movie. It's the little things <3

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally done with grant for my research I was working on, will have to do modifications based on feedback throughout the week, but so happy the actual writing part is done. Now time to try and not die from the pharm test that everyone fails, 3 days from now.

Oh and my grant for a one health grant writing competition (yes the irony) got approved, which is awesome. And got approved for an awesome amount of funds through two different organizations for the One Health Club. And now I am about 95% approved for the start of a one health certificate, which will be obtainable (ideally) throughout vet schools and med schools in a similar manner to the VBMA certificate.

It's been a good week from an educational/professional standpoint :).

Reactions: 11 users
ITS HALLOWEEN

which also means the semester is quickly coming to an end and i need to get my **** together lmao...

Reactions: 5 users
Went to bed last night at 12 AM, woke up at 4 AM for a last minute renal phys study session for a test (do not recommend--I think it was honestly about as effective as just sleeping the rest of the night would have been and I retained very little from it). Went to school at 6:30 AM, left at 5 PM with a massive headache and exhausted. I have not been sleeping well at all the past couple of weeks.

Tried to study a couple of hours worth for a histo lab test tomorrow, couldn't concentrate, and basically said "Eff it, I'm going to bed. I don't care if it's only 8:30 PM on Halloween night".

Downed some diphenhydramine... seriously the best stuff ever. I've had such a difficult time falling asleep lately but I am already starting to feel drowsy. Can't wait to pass out and hopefully finally get a decent amount of rest. Weird rave, I know.

...meh, this "test" is only worth like 15 points, anyway. And, thankfully, it's the last one until finals.

Reactions: 1 user
...and basically said "Eff it, I'm going to bed. I don't care if it's only 8:30 PM on Halloween night".
You're not alone. I was asleep by 8, and then my mom called around 8:30 which woke me up. She wasn't happy with my one word answers to her questions (which weren't anything important, just the stupid 'what did you do today' 'what did you do yesterday' crap I hate, especially since they don't understand my job anyway...there's a reason I don't call home as often anymore) and I eventually told her that I had been asleep so she shouldn't be mad. Now I can't fall back asleep.

Finally done with grant for my research I was working on, will have to do modifications based on feedback throughout the week, but so happy the actual writing part is done. Now time to try and not die from the pharm test that everyone fails, 3 days from now.

Oh and my grant for a one health grant writing competition (yes the irony) got approved, which is awesome. And got approved for an awesome amount of funds through two different organizations for the One Health Club. And now I am about 95% approved for the start of a one health certificate, which will be obtainable (ideally) throughout vet schools and med schools in a similar manner to the VBMA certificate.

It's been a good week from an educational/professional standpoint :).
So proud of you omg. That One Health certificate is gonna be the bomb.

Reactions: 1 users
Found the draft of a "new vet wanted ad" in the clinic email!!!
It's about dang time!! We've been talking about it for a while. I'm averaging 8-10 new clients a month, and the clinic as a whole is averaging 25 new clients a month. It's ridiculous.
Fingers crossed we post the ad and find someone ASAP because I'm exhausted.
On another note, I was the top producing vet in the clinic last month in addition to seeing the most patients. (Mostly top producer because the boss who does most of the surgeries took a week off, but still. I'm calling it a win.).

Reactions: 9 users
Had a really busy day at work yesterday- 3 surgeries, appointments, and a very sick DKA hospitalized patient that I had to put an e-tube in. Thankfully my dog was pooped as well last night, so he just chilled on the couch instead of running around like a nut. Fiance is out of town for residency interviews. I ate a ton of junk food last night. Tired dog + no fiance + food coma= early bed time. I slept for 11.5 hours and I feel great today. And it's my day off!

Reactions: 5 users
I love having these Wednesday afternoons off for first year. Done with class for the day!

Found the draft of a "new vet wanted ad" in the clinic email!!!
It's about dang time!! We've been talking about it for a while. I'm averaging 8-10 new clients a month, and the clinic as a whole is averaging 25 new clients a month. It's ridiculous.
Fingers crossed we post the ad and find someone ASAP because I'm exhausted.
On another note, I was the top producing vet in the clinic last month in addition to seeing the most patients. (Mostly top producer because the boss who does most of the surgeries took a week off, but still. I'm calling it a win.).

Oh reeeeally....

Members don't see this ad :)
Today for our animal handling lab we got to pet bunny rabbits and hold a Harris hawk. It was awesome.

If I remember ours, we had a couple snakes and a sugar glider. Seeing the hawk made me miss working at the California Wildlife Center. Good times.

We had two different snakes too. More power to people who like them, but they just really aren't my thing.

It was pretty neat, we actually had both a Harris hawk and a furruginous hawk, but I only held the harris.

My kitty purring on my lap while I do homework=stress melts away.

Got a bottle of cab named Carnivore to go with some meat and cheese + sushi for my evening. Just had a sip and it is quite pleasant. Gonna be a very nice evening indeed.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 12 users
  • Professor extended the deadline on my take home exam by two days
  • I'm going on a special tour of the veterinary facilities at the Denver zoo this weekend :D
  • In January I get to pet sit for the sweetest lady I think I've ever met in my life
  • CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES
  • My roommate put a hold on a dog at the local shelter and hopefully will be bringing him home in a few days
In summary, it's been a nice reprieve from a relatively stressful portion of the semester.

Reactions: 4 users
Omg do they have the nutmeg one?? I could seriously bolus that stuff IV, sooooo so good.
YES! Part of me is sad because pumpkin spice will be going away but HOLIDAY FLAVORZ!

This week has sucked because I'm on kennel duty AND we were gonna have 3 exams this week (one was on Wednesday, 2 would be tomorrow). But today (unexpectedly after previously insisting he couldn't change the date), my A&P prof has emailed the class to say that he is moving his exam to next week and we'll have a quiz tomorrow instead. That's the only class I'm really worried about (need to bring it up a few points to an A), so I'm SUPER glad that I'll no longer have to deal with studying hard tonight on top of waking up early for kennel. Srsly, Thank the test gods

YES! Part of me is sad because pumpkin spice will be going away but HOLIDAY FLAVORZ!

Screw pumpkin spice, peppermint and holiday flavors fo life!! I've been ready for the Christmas season since August...

Reactions: 2 users
Screw pumpkin spice, peppermint and holiday flavors fo life!! I've been ready for the Christmas season since August...
Peppermint schnapps in hot cocoa :hungry:

Although in actuality I mostly just love holiday baking, but I do that in the fall too so really from October through early January is my favorite time of year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There's a national college writing award that I submitted some poetry to this spring. Right after I submitted I noticed a really glaring typo in one of my poems. I thought oh well, and mostly forgot about it. Well, I got an email today notifying me that I was one of three finalists. I didn't win anything, but it was a really nice surprise. :D

Reactions: 7 users
There's a national college writing award that I submitted some poetry to this spring. Right after I submitted I noticed a really glaring typo in one of my poems. I thought oh well, and mostly forgot about it. Well, I got an email today notifying me that I was one of three finalists. I didn't win anything, but it was a really nice surprise. :D

See, what they don't know...might benefit you lol

Fried pickles + buffalo wings + Dr. Pepper + Netflix + cute puppers + no more tests until finals = :biglove:

Tests are over, kitten is cuddly, and my bottle of wine tastes great. It's a good night.

I'm pretty sure they keep pumpkin spice around until January! Or until they run out of the syrup. Also PSA, you can get peppermint mochas at Starbucks year-round, it just won't have the chocolate curls on top. I only get them when they're in season anyway because I only crave mint chocolate around the holidays, but yeah.
I do love drinking Christmas.
I've decided I'm going to be extra wine-drunk at Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, because my boyfriend won't be back from China until after New Year's, and the last two years I had to work the day after both holidays (and last year I had to skip out on Christmas dinner to do treatments... :sour:).
ETA: Also I'll be able to drink my favorite cranberry wine that's seasonal and from a local winery, so I can't get it here!

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to include this, but on tuesday I performed my first ever venipuncture. On my first try, successful cephalic blood draw on a dog!! I did pull back a bit too far/fast towards the end and lost it but still got around half a cc. Unfortunately I was not successful on my cat attempt today, though :laugh: We were told our class as a whole is picking this up more quickly than the previous classes.

Reactions: 8 users
I forgot to include this, but on tuesday I performed my first ever venipuncture. On my first try, successful cephalic blood draw on a dog!! I did pull back a bit too far/fast towards the end and lost it but still got around half a cc. Unfortunately I was not successful on my cat attempt today, though :laugh: We were told our class as a whole is picking this up more quickly than the previous classes.
Blood is so much fun!

I told my dad the other day I got an interview at UC Davis and he told me that he was so proud of me:love:. I'm pretty sure one of the only other times he's ever said that was at my wedding.

All I have done today is sleep, watch netflix, and cuddle my kitten. I love life. :love: