RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Survived another semester! Passed all my classes!

Saw trans-siberian orchestra this afternoon, and went out for dinner/drinks afterward- so much fun!

Now I get to sleep without setting the alarm:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Survived another semester! Passed all my classes!

Saw trans-siberian orchestra this afternoon, and went out for dinner/drinks afterward- so much fun!

Now I get to sleep without setting the alarm:love:

I am very excited to not have an alarm every morning now. Too bad I have jetlag and wake up at 4am anyways. lol

I might get to see the orchestra in January depending on how busy I will be. Very excited. :]

Nice going, cowgirla! Sounds like a pretty ideal end to a semester!! TSO TSO TSO (I wanted to see them again but went to my cousin's White Coat when they came to town. An acceptable win-lose, I'd say!) There's nothing like them to get me hyped for Christmas. Epic music: their version of "The Mountain" and yanno, "Carol of the Bells."

I got some joy out of deleting my 6:50am alarm.

And no Friday class next semester... heck yes.

:thumbup::thumbup: YAYYY (I have 3-4 alarms on my phone....all of them vary within like 5 minutes of each other...the X:50AM is one of them) Small victories. Take 'em when you can:love:

Grades are starting to filter in already....The first one in is the class I really struggled with...but I somehow got an A! The streak has been maintained and the stress will resume in January....

Have gotten very comfortable doing dog blood draws but haven't tried cat ones yet. Did two today, back leg, and got both first try. Gonna try jugular when I get better with back leg. It was very awesome feeling. I think every time I manage to do something right at my clinic (which isn't often) it boosts my self confidence that maybe I have some chance of making it through the school. Anyone else have that fear they are gonna get it and be the one student to flunk out in the first year O_O. Hope it's not just me!

I was stressing out over my lab book for Animal Developmental Biology. Most of our embryology labs FAILED and I was deathly afraid that I did not have enough information in my lab book. I took the extension that was offered, worked furiously on it, and handed it in. I got 20/20 on it. One less thing I have to worry about. :D.

Have gotten very comfortable doing dog blood draws but haven't tried cat ones yet. Did two today, back leg, and got both first try. Gonna try jugular when I get better with back leg. It was very awesome feeling. I think every time I manage to do something right at my clinic (which isn't often) it boosts my self confidence that maybe I have some chance of making it through the school. Anyone else have that fear they are gonna get it and be the one student to flunk out in the first year O_O. Hope it's not just me!

Your tech skills have nothing to do with failing out of vet school. First year is all about the basic sciences (which tend to be boring and very specific), second year is about learning the info for being a vet. Depending on the school you attend it's not until 3rd or 4th year that you get to work on tech skills. And no one fails out because they can't hit a vein.

Members don't see this ad :)
We still have it, just not on Friday?

We will have a month with phys III on Friday, technically, plus it's our exam day for some classes. But it will be a free day for a while at least. I can forward you our class sched if you are curious!

More jealous than curious lol. I'm pretty sure we had path from 8-11 every friday.

Reading those comments are people REALLY that dumb?

Being a vet. is easy. You do spay/neuter, vaccinate, worm, do an occasional dental and hand out Clavamox and Clindamyacin. It is amazing a vet. has to study 4 years to be a vet. Most of the stuff they teach in vet. school has no direct application to the everyday things a vet. does. In all truth, vet.s could be replaced by a new category called vet. medics who are trained only to do the usual pet medicine.

Vet.s can work cheaper than regular doctors because they do not have the high cost of malpractice insurance.

Sickness comes in 3 categories. 1) the type that will clear up on its own. 2) the type that clears up with medicine. 3) incurable. A vet. is fine for the minor stuff but, when it gets to the heavy stuff, vet.s start soaking you for the $ by playing the emotional angle.

A message for the vet. industry: medicines are useless if you can't get them into your pet.

A message for vet.s: if I wanted to pop de-worming pills into my pet I could get them over-the-counter. I brought my pet to you for service. Service means you put the de-worming pills into the pet. That way the pet hates you, not me, and doesn't give me dirty betrayed looks from under the bed all day.

Just so you know: I held back talking about acual vet. experiences. In 10 years experience at caring for stray cats I have tried 6 vet.s and am still looking for a new vet.

What... the... frack.

What... the... frack.

Now I've talked to some major wackadoos about their convoluted ideas of what goes on in vet med, but that definitely takes the cake. Based on the other nonsensical comments that individual was making though, I'm going to vote for clinically insane...

Last edited:
Wow- I've gotta be honest... I didn't even read the comments until now!!! BAHAHAHAHAH! good for a laugh at least.... :laugh:

The comments are great! Some people are so ignorant.
In other news, I got a blog up and running today, check it out if you feel like it. Only one entry so far, but hope to chronicle everything.
http://www.thedvmchronicles.com/

The comments are great! Some people are so ignorant.
In other news, I got a blog up and running today, check it out if you feel like it. Only one entry so far, but hope to chronicle everything.
http://www.thedvmchronicles.com/

Awesome! I've added it to my "reading list." :) Congratulations on your acceptance!!!!!
I started a blog recently as well. The link is in my siggy. I've only posted twice (and from my phone, so they're short), but hopefully I'll have more to say soon! :xf:

Thanks so much NordiCat! I'll check yours out as well

What I really wanted to say was, "What the f***, a**hole!!!!!!!" but the asterisks take away from it.

I also "loved" how all of the people were quick to defend their kids, cats, cell phones, etc., even though they are not offenders based on what they say.
The stupid. It hurts.
*goes to do something productive while laughing at how "useless" I will be as a vet someday*

One of the rules of the internet - NEVER read the comments. Ever. It could be a story about how a 5 year old girl hugged a litter of puppies and magically brough them back to life and there'd STILL be ******* comments.

One of the rules of the internet - NEVER read the comments. Ever. It could be a story about how a 5 year old girl hugged a litter of puppies and magically brough them back to life and there'd STILL be ******* comments.

:rofl: ........I did that. Or maybe I dreamt I did....hm...... :biglove: to those with humor in their lives :biglove:

but-but-but they're the best part!

:thumbup: I mean, you can only take so much seriousness out of it. Since it's virtual, you can kind of ignore the idiots on the internet. If we were face to face, however... :slap:

I got a B- in Chemistry! I must have done really well on the final without the curve already. My GPA should now be a 2.82 instead of a 2.62 like I thought it would be. Not awesome, but better than expected. :]

I got a B- in Chemistry! I must have done really well on the final without the curve already. My GPA should now be a 2.82 instead of a 2.62 like I thought it would be. Not awesome, but better than expected. :]

Grades are relative, dude. If you learned something from chemistry... I consider it an A for awesome effort. Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of how we run things 'round this joint....

Numbers are so relative. Why do they rule/designate our daily lives??? Bah.....math problems - I don't want to do you. I have enough issues:laugh:

The thing that I learned from those extra sciences (chem and physics) - "necessary" does not require me to make said sciences the center of my universe. Inorganic chem: favorite. I less than 3 dimensional analysis. I know it's a math-y concept but it's where my love story began....

I'm excited for my chem grade! Very much so. Sadly my lab is a C. I don't think that's what it should be, but I really don't want to go to talk to the prof. He's nasty mean. But I did fail the practical. Idk.. whatever. Hahaha. I passed. :]

Bought my pets their Christmas presents today :D! I got the cats a really nice, super soft pet bed to put on their futon (yes, they have their own futon). I'm a little jealous, it looks so comfortable. My hamster is getting a bag of hay and some dried apple slice treats. My betta will have another plant for his tank.

My pets are very spoiled. My family buys them gifts and they each have their own stocking. I'm so excited for them!

Despite 2 rejections this past week, I am really excited because I just signed up for UMNs online Biochem and Cell Bio for the spring semester. I'm actually looking forward to working hard, kicking some butt, and (hopefully) getting some awesome grades. At this point, I'm just planning for my Plan B. The goal is to not get too down on myself and make myself stronger for next year's cycle. (Still have 5 schools left to hear from). Pessimists rarely end up disappointed ;)

I just want to say that I could never have gotten through this application cycle without this forum. I would have gone crazy... or maybe SDN actually made me more crazy than I would have been....? Who knows, I'm just thankful for all the positive (and negative lol) energy. You guys are all awesome and I find myself laughing at the fact that I literally come on here a few times a day just to see if people I have never met (yet feel connected to lol) have heard any news. Thank you all for your support and guidance and ranting lol. :D

\ At this point, I'm just planning for my Plan B. The goal is to not get too down on myself and make myself stronger for next year's cycle. (Still have 5 schools left to hear from). Pessimists rarely end up disappointed ;)

I'm doing the same thing! I don't think it's too pessimistic though, if I don't get in this cycle, I don't want to have to panic about what I'm going to do next year with only a couple of months to figure it out. I want it figured out asap so I can take that off my things-to-panic-about list haha

Your tech skills have nothing to do with failing out of vet school. First year is all about the basic sciences (which tend to be boring and very specific), second year is about learning the info for being a vet. Depending on the school you attend it's not until 3rd or 4th year that you get to work on tech skills. And no one fails out because they can't hit a vein.

Well I know that but I take my boosts of self confidence where I can get them.

is it OK for me to rave about how i am soooooooo glad to find out i will definitely be a vet, no matter what happens?

i'm so incredibly happy these days -- i love my job, i love my family, it's christmas/holiday time, i'm done with school for the semester, the weather is wonderful. i really don't have much that i should complain about. :biglove:

hopefully it's appropriate to be so happy when some people are getting bad news these days :(

is it OK for me to rave about how i am soooooooo glad to find out i will definitely be a vet, no matter what happens?

i'm so incredibly happy these days -- i love my job, i love my family, it's christmas/holiday time, i'm done with school for the semester, the weather is wonderful. i really don't have much that i should complain about. :biglove:

hopefully it's appropriate to be so happy when some people are getting bad news these days :(

Sunnex, I think it would be more offensive to people getting bad news if you WEREN'T so happy! You deserve it. :claps:

<--- totally rawked out a 4.0 in what has been my most difficult and trying semester ever (including orgo I) :D