About the ads

RAVE HERE thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Jamr0ckin, Jun 25, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire Gold Donor

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey Blackat -

I am very disappointed not to see a post from you here about orientation.
  2. Lissarae06

Lissarae06 Insert Veterinarian Badge Here

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got to surgically castrate a goat today. It was AWESOME. We got to administer all of the drugs (with guidance of course)and do the procedure ourselves. We just had a vet there to tell us if we were doing it right or not. I hit the jugular vein on the first try (something I usually have trouble with)! Yes, it is an easy procedure but still so exciting!
  3. NittanyKitty

NittanyKitty NCSU CVM c/o 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Finished my first anatomy exam of vet school yesterday and flying out tomorrow night to see the boy this weekend! Sooooo happy right now! :)
  4. NStarz

NStarz Ohio State c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not sure if this should go in the rave or rant section...

So I hadn't been working at the vet lately because I had to retake orgo, but I e-mailed him at the beginning of the week to set up when I could come back (I was just shadowing/basic tech duties). Not only did he e-mail me back with his schedule, he asked me to dog sit for a weekend!

Obviously this would make for an awesome piece of information for my rec letter, but I'm ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED! Guidance? Do I do it? Do I run screaming in the other direction?? :eek:
  5. HopefulAg

HopefulAg Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Of course you do it. How hard is dog sitting? Not very.

It's like baby sitting but you can crate them.
  6. Lissarae06

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member

You can crate babies? Hmmm....maybe that's why I never got rehired in high school
  7. TheEvilShoe

TheEvilShoe

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I second the advice to DO IT! :) I once took care of one of my LOR writers' garden and koi fish for a couple weeks while he was on vacation, it just shows he trusts you. He asked me what compensation (money) I wanted for looking after his garden, and I joked that all I wanted was a super duper recommendation letter, to which he was like "oh my. Steep price! Yes I could definitely do that for you!" haha. Personally, I do anything that demonstrates I'm responsible and have a good upbeat/curious/helpful personality when interacting with my mentors... This isn't to say I will act fake or suck up like a teacher's pet lol, but the better the bond (and the more positive light) with your mentor you can achieve while remaining genuine, the better!
  8. BlacKAT33

BlacKAT33 UPenn c/o 2014!! :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh: i had SO much fun this week! seriously!! i already posted that in 2 other threads so I didn't want to annoy others lol I think all of my energy has been sucked out of me from having so much fun and staying up so late. Not sure if i can handle another party tonight :eek:

ps- my mentor is AWESOME!! she was even on the dance floor with me last night! how cool is that?! great match up!
  9. psilovethomas

psilovethomas MSUCVM'16

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My GRE horror story:
    At first, it may seem that this post belongs in the rant thread.
    So, last night, I took a few practice tests and did terrible on them! My cumulative score peaked at 1060. Bleh. So, I started to have a panic attack. I couldn't breathe and was bawling my eyes out. I talked to my boyfriend, who is always great at reassuring me that I can do anything I set out to do. He's awesome! Anyways, I got to bed at 11 with intentions of getting 8.5 hours of sleep. Pshht. At first, I was tired. Then, my hamster (picture in my avatar) decided she was going to start her new exercise regimen and run on her wheel, nonstop, for 2 hours. It drove me crazy. All I could focus on was the noise of her wheel. I took the wheel away from her, hoping that she was settle down and go back to sleep. Wrong. She continued to be a nuisance. She started biting on her bars, which was creating a very loud crunching sound. After about another two hours of this, I decided to give her wheel back and put her in my closet. By then it was 3:00 am and I had not fallen asleep yet. Then I started panicking again and became overheated. I tossed and turned in my bed until my alarm went off at 7:30am. I didn't get ANY SLEEP. I took a cold shower, got my car (that was parked a mile away, ugh) and ate breakfast with a friend who was ranting how nothing greater than a 700 quant is a good quant score. By now it's 8:30 and I'm in my car getting ready to head to the testing center. My head is pounding from a massive headache and I'm freezing cold (MI summer mornings can be brutal!) Then, my GPS decides not to work. Great. So I headed in the general direction of the testing center. After a few minutes of searching and freaking out that I wouldn't make it to the test in time, I finally found the testing center. Fast-forward to the end of the quant section. I have 10 seconds to go and 5 questions left. I just picked random answers for all of them. I go on to the verbal section thinking I bombed the quant section. The verbal section did not go well at all. Then, ETS offers me to take the experimental section. I thought that it was clearly stated that the test would not designate between the experimental section and the section that actually counted. I opted not to take the experimental section, even though they bribed me with money:smuggrin:. At this point, I'm freakin' because I know I'm about to see my terrible score. I thought I was going to score <1000 Q+V. Wrong! Scores pop up and I'm ecstatic. 720Q and 480V! Yeah, so the verbal score sucks, but I'm really happy about the 720 Q! Woo! :D

Sorry for the long rave/rant.
  10. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well done psI. Good job rising to the occassion.

But, money to do the experimental? Where's my check?
  11. psilovethomas

psilovethomas MSUCVM'16

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks SOV. I still feel like it's not real: did I misread the numbers or something!? heh.
    Yeah, ETS said they would pay 100 test takers $250 if their scores from the experimental section were significantly higher than their graded section. Meh. I just wanted to know my scores so I opted out.
  12. thedogisgreen

thedogisgreen UC Davis c/o 2015

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah, they actually did the same thing to me both times that I took it a year ago. The first time in surprised me, and the second time I was hoping for it so I could get my scores and get out of there sooner.
  13. hunterjumper12

hunterjumper12 NCSU c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yea, I thought the experimental section wasn't supposed to be designated either...? Oh well. I took it because it was quant and I thought that I had bombed quant. Turns out my quant score was actually pretty good (760 :eek:) so I'm probably not going to be getting the $250.
  14. Armymutt25A

Armymutt25A NCSU '15

Veterinary Student
    Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe the deal is that they pay the 1000 top scorers $250. I don't expect to get a check as I didn't find the calculator until half way through the test and really wasn't all that motivated after feeling like I bombed the Quant section.
  15. rileyroo

rileyroo Auburn 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

find a calculator during the test...is this a new thing??
  16. NStarz

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe armymutt was referring to an experimental math section? On the new GRE, they provide an onscreen calculator, but not during the current, mainstream test.
  17. Bearby

Bearby UF CVM c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    after getting ringworm from a puppy at work, i have been fighting it for 7 weeks. 4 weeks of just topical treatment, thought it had just about gone away and then it spread all around the original area. got some oral fluconazole and have been taking that for 3 weeks, last dose is next saturday. it looks like it's finally gone! FINALLY!!! a week ago i noticed 2 bald spots on my cat and freaked out, fungal culture has been done - still no growth. looks like i may finally have microsporum canis out of my life...at least for now.

another rave...i have made some amazing new friends in the last few months. some which are better friends than i have ever had before. i love them so much and am so fortunate to have them in my life.
  18. Nechochwen

Nechochwen LSU SVM c/o 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    After three weeks, my refrigerator is working. Woohoo!
  19. LMMS

LMMS Back Hunting Wolves

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Rather than work on essays or VMCAS data entry this weekend, I went to two MLB games!! :woot: Let me tell ya - it's good for the soul.

And, Nechochwen - albeit late, congrats on the fridge! I have known your pain...
  20. Ausrural

Ausrural

Official SDN is awesome rave! Nuff said.
  21. hunterjumper12

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My official GRE scores and percentiles just showed up on my online account, and I am happy with my score in the analytical section too! :)
  22. Ausrural

Ausrural

Oh also ... I euthanased an animal all by myself without my mentor ... I'm pretty proud of that. It went well
  23. DVMDream

DVMDream Gone, Adios! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I had a client at work this past Friday thank me repeatedly for being so helpful to her, her husband and her cat. She told me I was a great person to work with to help her cat and kept thanking me for being so patient with her questions and concerns. So was also so happy that I was so kind, gentle and patient with her not so nice cat. She told me that when they had been there with their other cat the previous month that the tech was not as nice and seemed to not really care about their cat and was not as friendly or patient.

Then yesterday the dr. came back after talking to an elderly couple that I had been dealing with. They were pet-sitting their sons dog and had brought the dog in because it was leaking urine everywhere. The dr. told me that the couple also really liked me and said I was a great person to work with.

These past few days have made me feel like I could make a good vet. Especially since I just transferred from my old clinic (worked there for 5 years) to this clinic last week.
  24. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not a surprise to any of us SDNers. You are one of the consistently "nicer" people on here. We are totally on your side again!! :love:
  25. Bearby

Bearby UF CVM c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    agreed! but those moments when clients compliment you or remember your name or ask for you specifically or offer to write a letter to the vet schools you're applying to...those are what I live for
  26. twelvetigers

twelvetigers Penguins are jerks. Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Haha. Consistently 'nicer" person... what a compliment. As opposed to whom, Nyan? Yourself? Hahaha.

Sorry, I just thought it was funny (and my PS brainstorming has fried meh brain!)
  27. NittanyKitty

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Spent the weekend with my visiting boy (mostly being lazy and watching movies and most of the second season of "Fringe") instead of studying like I was supposed to! And I don't even care! :D
  28. DVMDream

DVMDream Gone, Adios! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks, StartingoverVet! It means a lot. I am hoping this is my year.

Me too! I love those moments and to have them happen consistently makes me incredibly happy. I am pulling for you and I to get accepted this year! Where all are you applying to?
  29. HopefulAg

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Whoa. I just started watching the first season yesterday.
  30. twelvetigers

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I has a rave!

I just finished my first draft of my *new and improved* PS. Getting started is always the hardest part, hence the excitement.

Now who wants to read it? :D
  31. NittanyKitty

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Keep plugging away - our minds were blown by the finale of the second!!!
  32. cmeowb

cmeowb

Pre-Veterinary
    still kind of new to posting here...just wanted to say congrats x a million to all of you who are starting school! so jealous and hope i am where you are this time next year! to everyone else who is plugging along with vmcas/applications like i am, your posts on taking a mini-vacation this weekend make me feel better about mine :) we all need a break from this chaos sometime! but now i guess its back to the grind...till oct 1...or until this afternoon when i decide to procrastinate again by reading this thread some more :rolleyes:
  33. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    See what happens when I try to be nice.... completely misunderstood.

I chose "nicer" because the site is filled with nice people and I didn't want to imply that we're all a bunch of nasty pre-allo people. But, of course, I can understand your "reading" of my comment: Once a grump, always a grump!

Bah Humbug.
  34. twelvetigers

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Haha. I was just pickin' so don't get your undies in a knot. :laugh:

As another small 'woo-hoo!' for the day... my school doesn't charge for transcripts, even if I need TEN of them sent. Awesome. Almost makes up for the GRE score reports... almost.
  35. hunterjumper12

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My official GRE report with my scores on it came in the mail today :)
  36. NStarz

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My senior schedule is amazing. I have 3 classes worth 12 credits plus an independent study that I've already finished and just need to get the credits for. So a grand total of 15 credits and not a class before 11:30 any day of the week. Life is sweet.
  37. hunterjumper12

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nice! I'm taking 15 hours this semester, and all of my classes are on Tues. and Thurs. so I can work on Mon., Wed., and Fri. and make some money! :D
  38. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So that is what was irritating me all day. I'll have to untangle them tomorow. :rolleyes:
  39. scb44f

scb44f MIZ c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I only started shadowing and volunteering in August last year, and I thought I'd be really hard pressed to get to my goal of 400 hours by the time I apply this year (at that point, I could only give about 5 hours a week). At this point, I'm up to almost 600 hours, and will have surpassed that by the time I submit. This is something that has made me smile for the past couple of days. :-D
  40. NittanyKitty

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Nice work! You should definitely be proud!
  41. parietal

parietal Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I absolutely love vet school so far. :love:

Plus my class is awesome!
  42. scb44f

scb44f MIZ c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you, Nittany!
  43. 168135

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Only three more days until I go back to my university town. Then, I won't have to deal with my nagging, mean mother making me feel guilty, inconsiderate and stupid until CHRISTMAS. :soexcited:

I'm so excited I could drink.
  44. Lissarae06

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was getting on here to write the exact same thing! I'm feeling pretty good about life right now!
  45. heylodeb

heylodeb UC Davis c/o 2015 :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I FINALLY got a start on a personal statement that I feel like may work. It has A LOT of work needed but at least it's not making me wish I was dead. ;)
  46. Bearby

Bearby UF CVM c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've made a lot of progress in the last week. Several of my supplemental apps are complete, all my envolopes are addressed, most of my essay questions have been answered, done with VMCAS except for personal statement and LORs, and my personal statement as of right now isn't horribly bad. One of my med school hopeful friends made me feel like such a slacker for not having done much of anything as of a few weeks ago. I told her it would all come together in the end, and it is coming together quite nicely. I just hope that one of the admission committees sees how awesome I am and invites me to attend their school.
  47. twelvetigers

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Good job. ;)
  48. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    An early 4pm end to classes!
  49. HopefulAg

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Found out I made too many note cards for Anatomy so there's about 7 muscles I can throw out that I don't need to know yet. It's the little things...

See part two in the Rant thread: anatomy test tomorrow! (dun dun dunnn!)

Oh and a smaller rave: passed my first test (Immuno) of vet school, but didn't do near as well as I should have.
  50. flyhi

flyhi

SDN 5+ Year Member
    YESSSS!!! :soexcited: