RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On a previous rave, I believe I mentioned that people at a large institution is interested in my research.
Well, I got an email from my thesis supervisor today. They want to collaborate. They invited my supervisor to do work with them. My research could appear in a well-known journal.
All I did was go to a conference and present my research, and THIS is what came out of it. I am so happy. :D.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On a previous rant, I believe I mentioned that people at a large institution is interested in my research.
Well, I got an email from my thesis supervisor today. They want to collaborate. They invited my supervisor to do work with them. My research could appear in a well-known journal.
All I did was go to a conference and present my research, and THIS is what came out of it. I am so happy. :D.

Wow, good job! Publications are so exciting (yes, major research nerd here) :)

On a previous rant, I believe I mentioned that people at a large institution is interested in my research.

Congrats Trematode! Mind if I ask where you may be published...?

Members don't see this ad :)
finally going out with some of my lovely coworkers tomorrow :) have a cute outfit all planned out and we're going straight after work (after my 13 hour shift!!! whoooo) i may be crazy for going out and drinking when i have to be back at work by 7am on sunday...but it's much needed after some of the good news i've received lately :rolleyes:

plus the cute intern i have a crush on may be there....just sayin' :laugh:

finally going out with some of my lovely coworkers tomorrow :) have a cute outfit all planned out and we're going straight after work (after my 13 hour shift!!! whoooo) i may be crazy for going out and drinking when i have to be back at work by 7am on sunday...but it's much needed after some of the good news i've received lately :rolleyes:

plus the cute intern i have a crush on may be there....just sayin' :laugh:

Haha, it's totally worth in then. And you always need to take a little time off here and there to enjoy yourself otherwise you go crazy. Have fun! I'll be freezing my ass off in Syracuse...yay.

I made it off the waitlist for the Comm class I needed at the CC! "Fundamentals of Public Speaking" you better get my butt in to Western!

ETA:
Berkeley Extension Online human physiology: $795 plus $80 for book off amazon... not to mention the janky web site.

SBCC actual lecture class in public speaking: $151 + book and that comes with a rec center and a free bus pass for all of Santa Barbara County

My husband is installing a sub in my car (love it) and I'm in the garage keeping him company. And my special way of keeping him company is to play "All Night Long" by Lionel Ritchie on my iPhone and airhump him while he's splicing wires. Oh yeah.

Suuuuuub bassbassbassbassbass

I researched what my username states. I attempted to identify the diversity of parasites in a local lake by looking at the morphology and behaviour of a specific larval stage and by using molecular tools as well. :cool:.

Haha, it's totally worth in then. And you always need to take a little time off here and there to enjoy yourself otherwise you go crazy. Have fun! I'll be freezing my ass off in Syracuse...yay.

Are you visiting Syracuse (your location is PA)..? I live in Syracuse, well just outside it (even though MY location still says FL) :D

I researched what my username states. I attempted to identify the diversity of parasites in a local lake by looking at the morphology and behaviour of a specific larval stage and by using molecular tools as well. :cool:.

Daaaaaaaaaaang. That is quite :cool:. I miss invertebrate research. [If I don't stop myself now, this post could get ugly....and quick;)] Best of luck!!!! That's very very very AWESOME

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Trem! That is quite an accomplishment.

On another (not so) awesome note: I got my hair done yesterday and dyed it back to my original colour (black), introduced a side bang, and got a feather extension. I love it! I feel like a new person!

I know that feeling: whenever you get your hair done, you DO feel like a different person.
Too bad I am being all vanilla at the moment and growing mine long. ;). I did buy some henna last week. I may put that in on Sunday if I have a chance. Should make my dark brown hair a copper colour.
Is the feather extension permanent? Do they make them permanent? I love them, but I know nothing about it.

Really? You strike me as the sort of person that would balk at the idea of mass-breeding birdies only to pluck their tail feathers and glue them into white girl hair.

(Note: I'm not gonna go all whatever on peeps with feather extensions, so don't fear)

The ones I have seen are obviously fake. See how naive I am about it? :p.

My bf just finished an order of jumps which the lady really liked. She definitely wants to buy more from us in the future. It's been going slow lately and we really need the money to buy a new truck for his business...

So I'm super excited that another lady just sent us an e-mail ordering jumps for two properties, which will definitely give us enough money to buy a truck that we only dreamed of having before! It's finally getting better! I am so excited! This is what we've been waiting for! :D

Really? You strike me as the sort of person that would balk at the idea of mass-breeding birdies only to pluck their tail feathers and glue them into white girl hair.

(Note: I'm not gonna go all whatever on peeps with feather extensions, so don't fear)

I'm going to assume that that wasn't directed at me because a) I don't give off that vibe and b) I'm not white.

I eat meat, wear leather and take medications that most likely involved some animal research, so I certainly can't be against using a bird's pretty feathers in my hair.

I think the feather extensions are ironed in and.... are they glued as well? I think they're semi permanent...? I waannnttt.

I'm very glad to have a "rave" to post :D Well, not only one, but two!

1) I just moved my horse down to VA with me after being separated for a year and a half. She needed a dental and one of the faculty members at work needed a horse for a dental lab to teach students = perfect opportunity! She had her teeth floated and bite realigned by a gifted surgeon and the students were able to learn about power floats and her unique malocclusion. To top it off, the whole endeavor cost me a fraction of what it should have at normal rates. "Wins" all around!

2) I rode my horse and two other horses today. I was offered the opportunity to ride the extras pretty much as often as I'd like, and even had a second person offer me another horse to exercise. I really don't know how I went 1.5 years without riding. All of that time in the saddle felt AMAZING today and I'm so grateful and excited to have these opportunities!

I hope everyone else had a great weekend, too!

With my apologies to the good people of WI (my home away from home)...

NY 37 GB 20

San Fran, here we come!! :banana:

Pokemon is so awesome! My rave is that I got straight A's this semester, but it's in high school, so not nearly as impressive as a straight A semester in college.

I did terribly in the fencing tournament on Saturday.
But Sunday was monthly practice in the park, and one of the instructors told me "You know you're a really good fencer, right?" It made my day!!!

Pokemon is so awesome! My rave is that I got straight A's this semester, but it's in high school, so not nearly as impressive as a straight A semester in college.

Good for you! Doing well in HS will set you up well with good study habits for college/university.

I get to sit in a cardiology class at the vet school tomorrow. Very excited! :] And then the dinner there on Wednesday night. :D

I found him. :)

6 years old, OTTB, Bay, has a "#1" as his facial marking, already started eventing (very green, though), sweet, BEAUTIFUL movement, and a FABULOUS price because the owner knows I'm a vet student. Ridden him three times, passed the vet check today with flying colors (couldn't believe it!), and coming home SOON!!!!

(for those of you who have followed my adventures - the 2 year old OTTB continued to actually worsen in movement and I sent him home - he has already found a new happy home, though - so I'm glad!)

6 years old, OTTB, Bay, has a "#1" as his facial marking, already started eventing (very green, though), sweet, BEAUTIFUL movement, and a FABULOUS price because the owner knows I'm a vet student. Ridden him three times, passed the vet check today with flying colors (couldn't believe it!), and coming home SOON!!!!

(for those of you who have followed my adventures - the 2 year old OTTB continued to actually worsen in movement and I sent him home - he has already found a new happy home, though - so I'm glad!)

Yay!! He is beautiful!!

Yea!!! He looks great!! Are you going to event him as well or peruse something else?

My rave is that i got straight a's this semester, but it's in high school, so not nearly as impressive as a straight a semester in college.

Awesome. :D.

Heylodeb, you really make me want to own a horse one day. 'Cept mine will be black.

Last edited:

omg heylodeb he is BEAUTIFUL. look at that facial marking and the matching 4 white socks! i am green with envy!

this just might be inspiration i need to get back to riding...haven't been in the saddle in about 5 years but i was a pretty serious equestrian in middle/high school, was pursuing eventing before a bad accident and then fell in love with dressage after that.

again, he is gorgeous! :love:

happy to hear that the 2 year old found a home btw :)

Yea!!! He looks great!! Are you going to event him as well or peruse something else?

Eventing and Dressage - he has the movement to really do well in the dressage ring and after 2 years of training with a dressage trainer - I'm hooked! However, absolutely nothing beats the feeling of galloping a x-country course!!

this just might be inspiration i need to get back to riding...haven't been in the saddle in about 5 years but i was a pretty serious equestrian in middle/high school, was pursuing eventing before a bad accident and then fell in love with dressage after that.

DOOO IT!! It is such a great stress relief for me - I really enjoy my time when I can use my brain in a different way. People ask me how I have time to ride in vet school and my reply is always something along the lines of "how do you survive vet school without riding?" ...it's important for my mental health! (but NOT for my wallet!)

he is gorgeous heylodeb!! love the white- and he's got a very sweet look to him!! :) congrats new mumma!

lol

2012_1_14_21_36_361.gif

loving the pictures, heylodeb! I may have to take up yet ANOTHER of my lifelong dreams. My mum always discouraged riding (even though I live on TWO acres of property-mostly woods!) because of....cost? I guess? Maybe I was too involved in stuffs. I tried for years to get her to let me start and....failed miserably. If nothing else works, I hope to get some horse-age when I go to school this fall:D

This just might be inspiration i need to get back to riding...haven't been in the saddle in about 5 years but i was a pretty serious equestrian in middle/high school, was pursuing eventing before a bad accident and then fell in love with dressage after that.

One of my best friends did cross country and had a pretty bad accident. She broke her back. That's why I'm still not completely sure if I will commit to starting it.

But I'd really love to do Jumpers and Cross Country. Especially after that clinic with Lucinda Green... sigh... I just think it's the most exciting part. The adrenaline. Working so close with a horse in something so dangerous, where you really have to trust each other. There's nothing else that feels like that.
:love:

He is GORGEOUS! I'd love to have a horse like that. Very cute face. How big is he?

DOOO IT!! It is such a great stress relief for me - I really enjoy my time when I can use my brain in a different way. People ask me how I have time to ride in vet school and my reply is always something along the lines of "how do you survive vet school without riding?" ...it's important for my mental health! (but NOT for my wallet!)

I've been a bit moody lately, but when I say it's because I don't get to go riding, people think I'm not serious. They don't understand how stress relieving it is to accomplish something in the saddle and then just cuddle with a horse after that.. I really hope I can find a barn here again like my old one. But with nice people. 'Good' prices and a horse that I can ride whenever I want to outside of lessons for free. Otherwise I just can't afford it all the time.

He is GORGEOUS! I'd love to have a horse like that. Very cute face. How big is he?

I've been a bit moody lately, but when I say it's because I don't get to go riding, people think I'm not serious.

He's 16.3hh - turning 7 in May (I think...) so should be done growing. :)

loving the pictures, heylodeb! I may have to take up yet ANOTHER of my lifelong dreams. My mum always discouraged riding (even though I live on TWO acres of property-mostly woods!) because of....cost? I guess? Maybe I was too involved in stuffs. I tried for years to get her to let me start and....failed miserably. If nothing else works, I hope to get some horse-age when I go to school this fall:D

My parents were really anti-riding/horses with my oldest sister (9 years older) and she had to fight them tooth and nail her entire growing up years. She did all sorts of things to get what she wanted, lol. It worked nicely for me, though. When I got old enough and I said that I wanted to start riding, my parents just called the local riding school and dropped me off the next week for my first lesson. :laugh: You just needed an annoying older sister to break the ice for you!(I'm married now and my mom STILL gives me speeches about how irresponsible it is to own a horse with our "financial situation" - she just doesn't get that I'm willing to sacrifice other things for my horses!)

he is gorgeous heylodeb!! love the white- and he's got a very sweet look to him!! :) congrats new mumma!

Thanks. I'm in love. Can't wait to see him again on Thursday! :)

Now to attempt to focus on school!!

So I feel slightly guilty posting in the same threads where some people aren't hearing good news, but since this is the rave thread, I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT MY FLORIDA INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! :soexcited::highfive::clap::nod::woot::claps::banana:

So I feel slightly guilty posting in the same threads where some people aren't hearing good news, but since this is the rave thread, I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT MY FLORIDA INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! :soexcited::highfive::clap::nod::woot::claps:
Emiloo, that is so awesome! I'm beyond stoked for you!!! Glad your hard work and stress finally paid off :D YAY!!! :woot: :banana:

My parents were really anti-riding/horses with my oldest sister (9 years older) and she had to fight them tooth and nail her entire growing up years. She did all sorts of things to get what she wanted, lol. It worked nicely for me, though. When I got old enough and I said that I wanted to start riding, my parents just called the local riding school and dropped me off the next week for my first lesson.You just needed an annoying older sister to break the ice for you!(I'm married now and my mom STILL gives me speeches about how irresponsible it is to own a horse with our "financial situation" - she just doesn't get that I'm willing to sacrifice other things for my horses!)
Haha, story of my life. I had an older brother but lacked an older sister. Bummer. On the other hand, my sisters always triumphed where I failed. :laugh: My mother and I got in a semi-argument about that today (concerning dating, not horses!). yeah, when my mom stops lecturing me about finances (and making me pay her bills.....I've been doing this since high school....), I will consider something desperately wrong. Your boy is so handsome - did you come up with a name? I apologize for forgetting if you have....

He's absolutely gorgeous, I'm so jealous! IT's been a long time since I've ridden seriously. I fell a few years ago and really hurt my back. Then when I finally went back to it again I got in a car accident and hurt my back a second time. I took at as a sign from the universe, but god do I miss it...

Your boy is so handsome - did you come up with a name? I apologize for forgetting if you have....

Thanks again - I'm a proud mom right now - will be very excited once he's home and I can play with him whenever I wish (and school allows..)

He will probably keep his name, "Jag" - I don't hate it but I also don't love it. His mom is a friend of mine and we both work with the same dressage trainer so everybody knows him by that name. I'd feel bad to change it, I suppose.

I'm very glad to have a "rave" to post :D Well, not only one, but two!

1) I just moved my horse down to VA with me after being separated for a year and a half. She needed a dental and one of the faculty members at work needed a horse for a dental lab to teach students = perfect opportunity! She had her teeth floated and bite realigned by a gifted surgeon and the students were able to learn about power floats and her unique malocclusion. To top it off, the whole endeavor cost me a fraction of what it should have at normal rates. "Wins" all around!

2) I rode my horse and two other horses today. I was offered the opportunity to ride the extras pretty much as often as I'd like, and even had a second person offer me another horse to exercise. I really don't know how I went 1.5 years without riding. All of that time in the saddle felt AMAZING today and I'm so grateful and excited to have these opportunities!

I hope everyone else had a great weekend, too!

From one horse person to another you WILL be sore and you WILL regret it. ;):laugh:

Also to whoever has the pretty bay TB with all the chrome. Jealous! Though I'm quite partial to my pony boy.

Yay Deb! I am so happy, he is incredibly handsome. You will have to keep us posted.

Okay, maybe not the absolute best day, but still pretty damn awesome.

First, the lady I was dog sitting for paid me an extra $50 dollar, then I found out that my paper (I'm the first author) is officially accepted, then I got the interview invite from Auburn! :D

I'm guessing that something bad is about to happen.... to balance it out.