RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a 90 on my chem test! Today is such a great day! Awesome shadowing, A on my chem test, and later I have an interview after which I get approved to get a guide dog puppy to raise next semester.

:love:
Congrats on the 90 on chem (my favorite subject)! I also raised a guide dog puppy, and it was one of the most gratifying experiences ever. I have to warn you, though, that if you put your heart and soul into it and your dog goes for his test and passes, your heart will be broken (and then you get another puppy and start over again if you can). My puppy, Hunter, was a black lab. I had him from 10 weeks old to 18 months old. He went in for training and passed his test. I was all set to have him come home if he didn't pass, but he did. My family and I got email updates about him from Guiding Eyes for the Blind and finally a letter that he was graduating with his new person. We were invited to the graduation and became instant friends with the new owner. When Hunter retired, he came home to live with us for a short time and then passed away. He literally worked til the very end and gave everything he had. Although Hunter's life is over, we are still very close to the blind man who had him as a partner. Bringing that puppy home turned into a lifelong experience that we cherish to this day. Best of luck! And keep us posted on this!

Members don't see this ad.

I am very excited to raise a dog that will later help make a blind person's life easier. It's a great thing to do in my opinion. We have a lot of students here doing it. There are regular meetings we have to go to, so we can learn how to teach and raise them better (and the general commands they need to learn).

It's also nice because the only thing we need to pay for is the food. If I had my own dog, I would always be worried about not being able to pay if something bad happened. With this program, I can be sure that he will be provided with good veterinary service and that I have enough time for him because he will be coming to class and almost everywhere with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds very similar to my experience with GEB. We had "puppy class" every two weeks to learn and discuss everthing. We also had "evals" every two months so someone from GEB who does the training there could see how our puppies were coming along and what to work on. Our Hunter was a very independent puppy, a real handful. But they breed them for that type of personality so they can make decisions to maybe NOT cross the street when the blind person says, "Let's go." It took a lot of training to get him to listen compared to pets we've had, but he was not supposed to be a pet (though we treated him as such in most ways). They could not do certain things, though, like: be on furniture, shake paws, sit up/beg, sit on lap, etc. We also never had to pay for any shots or flea or heartworm treatment. But we also bought the food and treats and toys and bed and blankets, and leash and collar (so it's still expensive, don't fool yourself). Those labs are HUGE eaters (Hunter ate more than my newfies do).

I think they provide us with a cage and a few toys. We get leashes and I think a blanket. And yes, I have noticed labs eating a LOT. I used to dogsit two labs until the owners moved back to Germany. Labs and Goldens are usually the first-timer dogs in the program, but because we've had a lot of dogs before and one of them being a German Shepherd, I might be able to get a GS pup. They are my absolute favorites, so that would be great. We're gonna talk about it when it gets closer to the time of me getting one.

:love:

Until the new applicants get theirs in the summer, we are assigned dogs to take care of for a few hours every week. They are from people that can't take them to some classes (labs or the livestock arena) or that have a job where they can't go. That way, the puppies get used to more people and we get experience with them before we get our own.

It's the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind by the way. I think they're from New York. At least that's where the puppies go for official guide dog school.

Yes, that one. :)

They are very friendly around here. I really enjoy being in the program.

I feel weird posting something happy twice in a row, but oh well, good day! Finished the picturebook with a good half hour to spare before class...

... and then I just now got a call back from a job application I submitted a couple days ago. While that in itself is a rave, the person who called joked that several people in the office were rooting for me... ka-ching! I've worked with one of their doctors when she was at another clinic, and have two people I know who work there. Now let me try and not **** it up in interview. :D

ut74N.png

I have officially survived the week from hell! Bacteriology, Pharmacology, and Radiology tests all done! Tonight I am going bowling and drinking.

So the husband was telling me about an article he read about how a person had heart surgery and it resulted in their vocal cords being partially paralyzed (someone on his forum? I dunno) and I went from half listening to crazy vet student in about 1.8 seconds... turned around and said, "Yeah, it was probably their left recurrent laryngeal nerve... it's a branch of the vagus but it goes down into the thoracic cavity and then runs back up but it's asymmetrical so only the left part is near the aorta and heart really and the right part runs up the subclavian instead. So it only makes partial paralysis because, while it does control all of the laryngeal muscles except for the cricothyroid, it's only the left side that's been paralyzed. Y'know, laryngeal hemiplegia is called 'roaring' in horses... the tracheobronchal lymph nodes swell up and compress... ..."

As I noticed his blank look, my words trailed off, and I turned back around to the computer.

All in a day's work.

My first rave. I got the top grade on our crazy hard Endocrinology midterm, a 98%. This was a shock because I only had a weekend to teach myself 6 weeks of material (w/out the book no less) because I've missed so much class to be with my dad. YES!

That's quite impressive BKR! Major kudos to you!

My rave: I am puppy sitting an adorable and very well behaved 3.5 month old Great Dane!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the doctors at the teaching hospital is doing a study on canine ehrlichiosis. I volunteered my dog and she let me draw the blood! It was so exciting because she had me collect it from the jugular, and the only other animal I've done that with was a budgie. She also let me use the ophthalmoscope, which was another first. Awesome day!!

One of the doctors at the teaching hospital is doing a study on canine ehrlichiosis. I volunteered my dog and she let me draw the blood! It was so exciting because she had me collect it from the jugular, and the only other animal I've done that with was a budgie. She also let me use the ophthalmoscope, which was another first. Awesome day!!

oo what are you looking at? we have a doxy study going on because ehrlichiosis is rampant here. it's probably tied for 1st place most common problem along with HBC

Good dog Oakley! And good job Scb44f. :)

oo what are you looking at? we have a doxy study going on because ehrlichiosis is rampant here. it's probably tied for 1st place most common problem along with HBC

She is basically just trying to find an incidence rate in mid-MO because no one really knows how common it is for dogs to be exposed to it in this area. She is testing each dog for E. canis, as well as the other two types of ehrlichiosis that infect dogs to see how many become infected over the course of the study, how many get sick, etc. Dogs that are found to be seropositive at any point will be tested more frequently. I wonder what kind of results we'll see!

Good dog Oakley! And good job Scb44f. :)

I was super nervous about Oakley though. She has gotten so much better at dealing with being restrained since I moved her out of the house with 2 other dogs, but she still flips out occasionally when I try to hold her. It was totally smooth sailing though, even when the big bad stethescope came out (those are evil apparently).

She is basically just trying to find an incidence rate in mid-MO because no one really knows how common it is for dogs to be exposed to it in this area. She is testing each dog for E. canis, as well as the other two types of ehrlichiosis that infect dogs to see how many become infected over the course of the study, how many get sick, etc. Dogs that are found to be seropositive at any point will be tested more frequently. I wonder what kind of results we'll see!
Fun fact: Ehrlichia ewingii was name after one of our professors, Dr. Ewing. He discovered it.

Can I just rave that this thread exists? What a great idea!

That's quite impressive BKR! Major kudos to you!

My rave: I am puppy sitting an adorable and very well behaved 3.5 month old Great Dane!
Thanks! The puppy must be insanely adorable! I have a weak spot for Danes!

Congrats on the 90 on chem (my favorite subject)! I also raised a guide dog puppy, and it was one of the most gratifying experiences ever. I have to warn you, though, that if you put your heart and soul into it and your dog goes for his test and passes, your heart will be broken (and then you get another puppy and start over again if you can). My puppy, Hunter, was a black lab. I had him from 10 weeks old to 18 months old. He went in for training and passed his test. I was all set to have him come home if he didn't pass, but he did. My family and I got email updates about him from Guiding Eyes for the Blind and finally a letter that he was graduating with his new person. We were invited to the graduation and became instant friends with the new owner. When Hunter retired, he came home to live with us for a short time and then passed away. He literally worked til the very end and gave everything he had. Although Hunter's life is over, we are still very close to the blind man who had him as a partner. Bringing that puppy home turned into a lifelong experience that we cherish to this day. Best of luck! And keep us posted on this!

Very cool story

So the husband was telling me about an article he read about how a person had heart surgery and it resulted in their vocal cords being partially paralyzed (someone on his forum? I dunno) and I went from half listening to crazy vet student in about 1.8 seconds... turned around and said, "Yeah, it was probably their left recurrent laryngeal nerve... it's a branch of the vagus but it goes down into the thoracic cavity and then runs back up but it's asymmetrical so only the left part is near the aorta and heart really and the right part runs up the subclavian instead. So it only makes partial paralysis because, while it does control all of the laryngeal muscles except for the cricothyroid, it's only the left side that's been paralyzed. Y'know, laryngeal hemiplegia is called 'roaring' in horses... the tracheobronchal lymph nodes swell up and compress... ..."

haaaaaahahahaha. If I were you, I think I would have been like, "you know how they figured that out? lemme show you." and then grabbed my SO's throat with one hand, and then given him a huge whack with the other. :smuggrin:

As I noticed his blank look, my words trailed off, and I turned back around to the computer.

All in a day's work.

My parents and I had a similar one-sided conversation about the vagus nerve a few weeks ago. It's a reflex with vet students. We have so much information stored in there that it spills out at the slightly provocation. Like poking the meniscus on an overly full glass.

Mini rave - 124.1lbs today. Total of 5.4lbs down! :D

I got my 2+ year member badge, alllllrrrriiiiggghhhtt!

Silly rave: Placed my first IV today! And the really old dog we did surgery on did really well under anesthesia. And I got paid extra! It was a good day :)

My parents and I had a similar one-sided conversation about the vagus nerve a few weeks ago. It's a reflex with vet students. We have so much information stored in there that it spills out at the slightly provocation. Like poking the meniscus on an overly full glass.

Mini rave - 124.1lbs today. Total of 5.4lbs down! :D

YAYYY!
Since starting Fitocracy, I have lost... nothing. But my legs are cuter. And my little muffin top is slimmer. I take it I am gaining muscle while losing fat?
I am a fitness n00b.

Pitchers and catchers start to report in a week (well, except for the Marlins who are currently playing with themselves)!

I can smell the start of baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited:

So I moved to a new area and have no horsey friends here - but today a new friend from nearby came for a visit. She is a beautiful rider with some confidence issues related to her bonkers horse, so I let her get on my horse and hop around some jumps. And we went shopping and out to lunch. It's like I'm a real girl with real friends! Moral of the rave is that I made a new friend who I really like, had a blast, and I'm super happy about it. Plus I got a new friend that likes PONIES. :D

Pitchers and catchers start to report in a week (well, except for the Marlins who are currently playing with themselves)!

I can smell the start of baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited:

Yay!!!

So glad you mentioned this. Now something else sports-wise to take a little bit of the sting off of the disappointment of a hockey team that the Capitals are this season... :/ (Not that my baseball team is any better, but I'm always hopeful!)

Also, currently watching Ocean's Eleven on TV while studying biochem. Yay for small things!

I can't get my mind out of the gutter....

Just saw my friend's play (The Vagina Monologues) and it was awesome!

I can't get my mind out of the gutter....

Pun totally intended! Have you seen the new logo??? THIS is what they're wearing now that they've moved to Miami...

miamimarlinslogo_large_large.jpg

And in other rave news, I just saw this ad for the first time. AMAZING!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos[/YOUTUBE]

I got my iPhone 4s finally today! :D the SDN app is awesome! Lol