RC do you ever run out of time??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rustyy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 passages and 60 minutes...
ideally u allow urself for 20 minutes for each passages.

but then, when you are not quite done with a passage, do you mark the questions (you couldn't locate them on the passage right away) and go on to the next passage or do you spend 2-3 more minutes to finish up??

I am a slow reader and sucks at reading. So when I do Kaplan method, it takes me about roughly 7 minutes(14 paragraph). Sometimes I dont get to do all the questions within 20 minutes :(

If I spend more than 20 minutes, I would have significantly less time on passage #3.
:( :(

I'm not sure if I need to make a little sacrifice on each passage or on passage #3.

btw I am shooting for 21 on RC!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I ran out of time on my second practice test, but then got a better idea of the pacing. Keep practicing and evaluate after each test to see where you can cut a bit of time off. I personally noticed I would spend more time on the middle passage than any other, and had to work to stay focused on it.

I ran out of time every time I took a practice test... All seven of them lol I finished with about 1 min left on the real thing. Its just not my thing I guess haha

Screw the Kaplan method. Just like with most Kaplan strategies, this one is impractical. This strategy works only if you had 30 min per passage.

Thus, I've been using a different approach (skim + S&D) that has been working fairly well.

Now that I'm starting to become a better reader from practicing the above strategy I'm starting to employ the regular approach of just reading it carefully (but quickly) before answering any questions. Ultimately this is the ideal approach as it will enable you to answer all S&D and Tone questions.

Hopefully, I'll get to a competent point in this regular approach by test day but at least I can revert back to the hybrid skim and S&D method.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran out of time every time I took a practice test... All seven of them lol I finished with about 1 min left on the real thing. Its just not my thing I guess haha

which practice materials did you use it??? and is it due to the fact that the real thing was less dense, easier, or shorter?

Screw the Kaplan method. Just like with most Kaplan strategies, this one is impractical. This strategy works only if you had 30 min per passage.

Thus, I've been using a different approach (skim + S&D) that has been working fairly well.

Now that I'm starting to become a better reader from practicing the above strategy I'm starting to employ the regular approach of just reading it carefully (but quickly) before answering any questions. Ultimately this is the ideal approach as it well enable you to answer all S&D and Tone questions.

Hopefully, I'll get to a competent point in this regular approach by test day but at least I can revert back to the hybrid skim and S&D method.

ideally that's the best method. yet i tend to panic or my adrenaline kicks in. then i cannot understand or process the passage then it really raises a red flag lol
Plus I am terrrrrible at recalling information i just read a min go when it comes to reading

I ALWAYS ran out of time with RC... and when I say "always" I mean like.... not even half way done with the 3rd passage lol.... I am awful reader

On the real DAT, I did well on the first 2 passages, and on the 3rd one, half the questions I just guessed cause I didn't have time to look for them.

which practice materials did you use it??? and is it due to the fact that the real thing was less dense, easier, or shorter?

I used Topscore and Achiever.

I got a 19 RC and was really disappointed with it... The RC section on my DAT was very similar to achiever's difficulty. The reason for this is that there were a lot of tone questions, and my search and destroy method killed those for me. If I read the whole thing first and then answered the questions I could have done a lot better... This was my test though; I have heard that others have had almost no tone questions as well.

I ALWAYS ran out of time with RC... and when I say "always" I mean like.... not even half way done with the 3rd passage lol.... I am awful reader

On the real DAT, I did well on the first 2 passages, and on the 3rd one, half the questions I just guessed cause I didn't have time to look for them.

Sounds pretty much identical to me... same RC score and all ha