Rcsi mub

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have just recently applied to the RCSI mub campus through the atlantic bridge program, when should i be expecting a response from ABP.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have applied to RCSI mub as well through the Atlantic Bridge Program. They said interview calls will be held around Early May.

Which country did you apply from? I applied from Canada to the 6 year premed program. (After high school)

Hi luqi,
I am also applying from Canada to the 6 year medicine program. Do you have any information about the housing at RCSI? because I cannot seem to find it on their site.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i got called for the interview..i also applied from canada..
but i dont know if i should go...
i am not bahraini..., i have never been there.
so i dont know if its he right place for me..
any suggestionssss??
how hard is to get back to canada/usa?

hi wellwisher,
RCSI is recognized by Canada/USA, and so its probably not that hard to get back to canada/usa, assuming you have completed all the neccessary examinations.
I want to go to RCSI-mub because I was born in the middle east, and so I want to to be able to experience middle eastern culture again.
I too, have never been to Bahrain, but from what I have seen in many middle eastern countries; it would probably be a beautiful one.

Also, if you don't mind, well wisher, what was our overall average?

Hmm...well i dont think it is recognized by canada/usa.
when u come back, u would be considered as an
international medical graduate like everyone else..

i know another friend, who got an interview..
we both have an interview in toronto
my average from highschool was around 89%

but i am still uncertain, regarding whether i should go or
not...

hi
my friend and i decided not to take the interview,
so 2 additional spots should open up..

for anyone wondering why we are not going..
well i knew this one family friend who goes to
RCSI MUB and is in her third year.
and talked to her family.
they don't think the education over there is worth it.
they have to pay $37 000/year tuition.
In addition, food and accomodation and airline tickets costs/year.
So you are looking at around spening $50 000/year.
And $ 300 000/6 years.
At the end of the say, your education is not recognized here.
So you will have to come back and pass exams, which till
take another 1-2.
So you really have to think if its really worth it?

Hope i helped.

Hmm...well i dont think it is recognized by canada/usa.
when u come back, u would be considered as an
international medical graduate like everyone else..

i know another friend, who got an interview..
we both have an interview in toronto
my average from highschool was around 89%

but i am still uncertain, regarding whether i should go or
not...

well, take a look at this link.
http://www.atlanticbridge.com/med/faqs/fqindex.htm

hi everyone,
I have just recently been offered an interview in toronto. Is there anyone else other than wellwisher?

Hey

sorry i took forever to reply. I had my interview on May8th 2010 in Toronto. I just got my acceptance letter today. I'm most probaby goiing to go there. As to your question about housing, check this link out http://canstudentsofrcsi.wordpress.com/links/. Go to accomodation. I have two more guys from Toronto going there with me, so if you guys like we could share a place or something.

What are your plans? whoevers heading to RCSI mub.

Cheers

Hey

sorry i took forever to reply. I had my interview on May8th 2010 in Toronto. I just got my acceptance letter today. I'm most probaby goiing to go there. As to your question about housing, check this link out http://canstudentsofrcsi.wordpress.com/links/. Go to accomodation. I have two more guys from Toronto going there with me, so if you guys like we could share a place or something.

What are your plans? whoevers heading to RCSI mub.

Cheers

hey sorry for the delayed response,

thats a gud idea, I know a guy who also got accepted n we were lookin for some else too. If you want to share an apartment msg me .

Last edited:
Hey guys! I have been reading this blog and you should be clarified about a few things. Wellwisher, you are mistaken when you say that RCSI Bahrain is not recognized. There are no universities, except for the ones in Canada, that are recognized by Canadian system. Once you leave Canada, you are and IMG, regardless of where you go. You have to take the same steps to come back home as anyone else, whether it be Ireland, UK, India, etc, given that you are Canadian and the school is WHO recognized.

As for RCSI, Bahrain, you guys should really do your research before you go. I know a few people who go there and have told me a couple of things. The curriculum and examinations are exactly the same as of Dublin. Dublin is the original campus, however, you are dealing with different culture/population. I hope that you all have thought through about language barrier with patients, culture, etc. That's all I know about this, but you guys should ask a few students who are currently in the university

Hey guys! I have been reading this blog and you should be clarified about a few things. Wellwisher, you are mistaken when you say that RCSI Bahrain is not recognized. There are no universities, except for the ones in Canada, that are recognized by Canadian system. Once you leave Canada, you are and IMG, regardless of where you go. You have to take the same steps to come back home as anyone else, whether it be Ireland, UK, India, etc, given that you are Canadian and the school is WHO recognized.

As for RCSI, Bahrain, you guys should really do your research before you go. I know a few people who go there and have told me a couple of things. The curriculum and examinations are exactly the same as of Dublin. Dublin is the original campus, however, you are dealing with different culture/population. I hope that you all have thought through about language barrier with patients, culture, etc. That's all I know about this, but you guys should ask a few students who are currently in the university
Hey Somewhere,
Thanks for your clarification on the issue.

By the way, are you planning on goin to RCSI-MUB?

Members don't see this ad :)
somewhere is right. Once you step outside of Canada, you are an IMG and hence would have to cross MANY hurdles aka (CaRMS) to come back. That said, Irish schools have a much better reputation in Canada than other international schools so with respect to that RCSI would be a sound choice. BUT as for MUB, it started 2004 and although it got the NUI approval recently, I am not sure how impressive their residency match list is. If you could speak to some graduates who have come back to Canada and successfully got a spot, that would be the best.

Oh and back when i got accepted, MUB didn't have it's own accommodation. And Bahrain is an expensive city. Also the language barrier and rotations at the local hospital gives you minimal exposure to Canadian health care unless you arrange an elective in final year.

So weigh out all your options carefully.

Awiz, I am a concerned aunt. I have cousins, nieces/nephews, etc. whom are interested in medicine. I am doing some research and I advise you to do the same before you decide to go to Bahrain.

Schandan-you are correct when you have said that MUB doesn't provide accommodation. However, it shouldn't be a deciding factor when choosing a university. I am more concerned with quality of education and the steps my relatives have to take to come back.

Now, as for cost of living, I have spoken to a few family friends of ours. They know people in Bahrain and from my understanding, cost of living is cheaper than Canada. The way they explained it: you can get a fully furnished apartment for about 300 BD (which is less than 900 CAD). It is very difficult to find that here.

Last edited:
Hi. I've applied to RCSI-MUB and got through the interview this January. I've got an offer letter for the 6 year medical programme. Just wanted to know if anyone is joining this year?

Is the medical bachelors of surgery degree from RCSI baherine valid in Great britain, or are there any pre-requisite before applying residency there
My ambition was to join a medical school in london, but due to my A level grades, I was unable to get in, I am allowed to attend the interview in baherine campus of RCSI, but i am hesitating to go, Is that degree recognised there. Also my secondary concerns are the language.
I would be grateful if anyone can post a reply to this

Yes vem,
i have the same concern as you. I am worried that language might become a huge barrier. Because not all the patient will know (if any) english, and hence communication will become impossible. I kno very little bit of arabic but definety not enuf to communicate. So my request is to people that have already/are studied there to give us an idea of how important knowing arabic would be, if u are a non-arab. Please Please dont ingore this question if u have any information on this, u will save a lot of people time and MONEY:(.

Yes vem,
i have the same concern as you. I am worried that language might become a huge barrier. Because not all the patient will know (if any) english, and hence communication will become impossible. I kno very little bit of arabic but definety not enuf to communicate. So my request is to people that have already/are studied there to give us an idea of how important knowing arabic would be, if u are a non-arab. Please Please dont ingore this question if u have any information on this, u will save a lot of people time and MONEY:(.

Hi path1finder
I have joined the 5 year medical programme at RCSI-MUB (2011 batch). I actually asked my interviewer about this problem. Knowing Arabic is not really necessary but at the same time it is definitely an added advantage if you do know some basic words and phrases. I was told that non-Arabs will get to communicate with patients who know English or will be placed with a partner who speaks Arabic and can translate for them. I myself have very very very limited Arabic vocabulary (just around 5-7 words or so):). So you needn't worry much about that. Anyway, I am planning to take some Arabic lessons so that I know at least survival level Arabic. It is advisable that you either go for basic Arabic lessons or even listen to some Arabic phrases on the internet (like at www.bbc.com/languages ) just to get a feel of it.

In my opinion, RCSI-MUB is a wonderful university and one mustn't let go of an opportunity to study there.

All the best! :D

Last edited:
Awesome thank u so much daisy.. i have been accepted to the 5 year program to, and have pretty much decided to go there. As for the language.. ur rite, another person i was talkin to said that they will give basic arabic classes to non-arabs...so ye. Anywy hope to cya at RCSI :D...

OK guys i just came back from RCSI bahrain, and i must say its a pretty impressive university. There are three teaching hospitals and its main teachin hospital (king hamad hospital) is freakin hugh!

The university is EXACTLY the same as the one in dublin (in terms of teachin, clinical, degree value).

The only drawback is that there is no accommodation provided by the university, so u gotta look for some (its not tht hard to find :p).

Last edited:
Hi path1finder
good to hear that you've decided to join RCSI-MUB :)
ur right...the university has excellent facilities, although it is not as big as other universities in us, uk and india.
recent news: some 5 agreements were signed to buy latest medical equipment(worth some millions of dollars) for the king hamad hospital.

one of the other teaching hospitals (american mission hospital) is also pretty high standard and has v.good, experienced doctors and medical equipments.

all right, hope to see u in september :) ... anyone else joining this year?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi path1finder
good to hear that you've decided to join RCSI-MUB :)
ur right...the university has excellent facilities, although it is not as big as other universities in us, uk and india.
recent news: some 5 agreements were signed to buy latest medical equipment(worth some millions of dollars) for the king hamad hospital.

one of the other teaching hospitals (american mission hospital) is also pretty high standard and has v.good, experienced doctors and medical equipments.

all right, hope to see u in september :) ... anyone else joining this year?

heyy Daisy
I'm joining this year on the 5 yr prog! Can you plz advise me on the accommodation? Im yet to find one! Do I have to come to Bahrain prior to the course or can I settle the rent issue from my home country??

Heyy star007,
Im a medical student in RCSI bahrain, and i went through the whole finding an accommodation thing. I would say it would be better if u come before the course starts to look at places to stay. There are several apartment buildings exactly next to the university and u can contact them from your home country but to avoid any problems, delays, or misunderstandings its better that u come early. Plus when ur here u can negotiate about the price or find urself a room mate to split the rent.

OK I just got my acceptance to RCSI Bahrain and Im extremely eager to join the school. I just want to know what the school is like from a students perspective. Are the teachers any good? Hows the competition? I've been searching for apartments to rent but OMG IT IS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. A measley single bedroom/single bathroom apartment costs around 700 dollars a month!!!! I was wondering if anyone is interested in sharing a flat or apartment? I would greatly appreciate it!
Also, if arabic is a need to know language. I know Ill be doing my rotations in King Hamad hospital so the patients are most likely arabic speakers. I know some arabic but theres no way in hell ill be able to explain complex medical terms in arabic to a patient of mine you get me?!?!?! Please help a lost student! :confused:

OK I just got my acceptance to RCSI Bahrain and Im extremely eager to join the school. I just want to know what the school is like from a students perspective. Are the teachers any good? Hows the competition? I've been searching for apartments to rent but OMG IT IS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. A measley single bedroom/single bathroom apartment costs around 700 dollars a month!!!! I was wondering if anyone is interested in sharing a flat or apartment? I would greatly appreciate it!
Also, if arabic is a need to know language. I know Ill be doing my rotations in King Hamad hospital so the patients are most likely arabic speakers. I know some arabic but theres no way in hell ill be able to explain complex medical terms in arabic to a patient of mine you get me?!?!?! Please help a lost student! :confused:

I know a bit about the uni, I was intending to apply there, I created my application several months ago but ended up canceling it because I didn't really feel excited about it, plus I don't think I want to pay 30 thousands at least to attend a backup school, and to top it off I think I'll attend my top choice " In sha allah"

Anyway, what I can do is that I can tell you that I assure you language is not and will never be a barrier, most people in the whole gulf countries are able to speak English fluently and English is the main language in hospitals, universities, etc...
I don't live in Bahrain but I've been there a couple of times and believe me language isn't an issue. And anyway I think you'll have translators with you all the time.
Sorry I don't really know anything about the other q's.

Best of luck :)

I just got invited for an interview and am worried about the residency process and cost. There's no way I'll be able to afford the school and if I could what are the chances of obtaining a competitive residency back in the US/Canada? It seems like there isn't a lot of info on this and I don't want to end up 300,000 in debt with no where to go?

Hi Chicka,

Could you please advise what High school grades/percentage is required for acceptance at RCSI ,and how did your interview go.I m particularly interested in applying to RCSI next year so would like to have some info.

Do they require some extracurricular activities as well.

Any help ll be highly appreciated.

Thnx

Last edited:
Well my high school grades weren't so spectacular but they weren't bad either. I got an 83% as my final high school mark. But please keep in mind that i did the international baccalaureate program and although that wasn't too impressive, just average (I got a score of 31 points) I guess it gave them something to measure against in terms of international standard, since they are familiar with the program. Also note that I am not in high school and go to the university of Toronto where my gpa took a real plummet. My suggestion for you is that at least maintain an 85 average but looking at previous posts it seems that getting a 90 will guarantee an interview. Also I suppose I do have medical related experience I work at a rehab centre and did first aid for 4 years. If you don't have medical experience I suggest you look for it this summer n get started cuz it seemed like that was important in the interview. Also they just like to know what you do in your spare time just because I think you seem more like a person with interests. I also suggest looking for a summer job and start saving up I wish I did. The interview went well and searching these forums for past questions really helped cuz I got pretty much the same questions. I can send u a list that I compiled if you want. Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Has anyone been keeping up with the political unrest in bahrain? It doesnt seem very safe right now

Just google it there lots of coverage, basically protests have been going on since last year during egypt's uprising

In fact it seems that the protests gave does down a little bit as on the Irish embassy website ut days that highway checkpoints have been reduced or something along those lines. But can someone that goes to school there possibly shed some light I'm how it is. There hasn't been too much in the news recently and my only concern is that the school may possibly be forced to close down in the middle of my studies in let's say 2-3 years time but I highly doubt because the citizens are really split. But anyways mub students any thoughts?????

I'm not an MUB student, I only reside in a nearby gulf country. From what I know, the situation in Bahrain really calmed down. Here is the thing, as long as you stay away from protests and keep away from small villages in Bahrain you'll be safe. I don't think you should worry about safety, especially if the union between Saudi and Bahrain is established.

Hey abe2012
Have you found any accomodations yet? I'm also looking for a roomate.

Hey abe2012
Have you found any accomodations yet? I'm also looking for a roomate.
No I haven't. I've been looking around the apartment complexes behind the schools campus though. Average price is 450-500 BD per month(1200-1350 US dollars) for a 2 bd 2 bthrm apartment fully furnished. They are really nice but still super expensive. There are some unfurnished ones for about 200-300 BD farther out it if ur interested. Do you live around bahrain by any chance?

Hey I'm new to this , I'm from Ireland I've applied to rcsi Bahrain and I have an interview on this Sunday. I was hoping people could tell me what kind of questions they would ask you in the interview? I'm trying to get into the 5 year programme, and If I do get it I would definitely be looking to share an apartment if anyone is interested! Also any other info people can give about the university like what are the teachers like , the campus etc.. would be awesome!

Hey I'm new to this , I'm from Ireland I've applied to rcsi Bahrain and I have an interview on this Sunday. I was hoping people could tell me what kind of questions they would ask you in the interview? I'm trying to get into the 5 year programme, and If I do get it I would definitely be looking to share an apartment if anyone is interested! Also any other info people can give about the university like what are the teachers like , the campus etc.. would be awesome!
Hey Irt(don't know ur name lol),
Well since you did get an invitation for an interview u pretty much have a 90% chance of getting in.
I got into the 6 yr program but the questions in the interview are most likely the same. They're gonna ask you why you want to be a doctor, why you chose rcsi Bahrain, and since your coming from Ireland they are probably gonna ask you why ddnt you choose the mother university there. They ask about your interests and what you'll bring to the university. Most importantly they WILL ask you how your going to pay for the school. I just got in this year and I'm looking for accommodation or a roommate(if they have accommodation). As for teachers and staff, they seemed pretty nice when I visited the school. I think most if not all teachers are from Ireland. Good luck!

Well My first question: are you nervous.
tell me about you and your family. ( I had a whole speech prepared and got cut off and was asked to describe your family-i guess was the indirect way of asking how are you going to pay for this)
Why do you want to become a doctor?
What sort of medical related experience do you have?
What do you know about the curriculum? (I knew it but not well enough-kind of chocked on this one)
do you know anyone here?
tell me about your present studies?
how do you cope with stress?
Do you think communication can be taught or is it inherent? (something along those lines?
what is your greatest strength?
extracurricular?
are you prepared to learn the language?

I was prepared for i think every possible question. make sure you can answer those and justify yourself as well as other basic questions. like. greatest weakness, the ideal doctor, empathy, etcc.

It was the easiest interview I've ever had. Way easier than some job interviews that I've been to.

Seeing that you're in Ireland I suspect you might know someone there. Mind shedding some light on what you might have heard about the school, student experience in bahrain

OK its seems that people have a few question about this place, i am currently in my second year at the university so please feel free to ask me whatever you like here, or drop me a pm. I would answer everyones questions here but they seem to be to many.

OK its seems that people have a few question about this place, i am currently in my second year at the university so please feel free to ask me whatever you like here, or drop me a pm. I would answer everyones questions here but they seem to be to many.

OMG thanks a lot. Wow, it seems like there aren't a lot of people there to answer questions. Ok here I go feel freee to not answer all of them but I think everyone would appreciate it and it would give us some insight on the the school and will be useful for future reference.

-do you hate or love you're school? What is you're favourite thing about it? Least favourite thing? (please name something aside from the fees-unless there's nothing)

1. How do you find the school there in general? The profs? Any bad profs? The courses? What's you favourite/least favourite course? How do you find the teaching (is it worth the money you're paying?)How do they compare to other schools like the ones in Canada or US or wherever?

2. I know you may not know yet, but how is the clinical experience? Do you find that there are a lot of opportunities for hands on learning? Do you feel prepared?

3. I heard although this may be a stupid question is it true you don't use cadavers? I was hesitant to ask this during my interview but how are you expected to learn if you don't use cadavers. I've seen both plastic models and cadavers and those are 2 different things????

4. What would you pack with you? For first year? What should you definitely bring? Anything that you would bring that you didn't have?

5. Any advice for us? Anything that you would recommend? Anything that you would do differently?

6. How is the match rate for the upper years? Have you heard anything about residencies and how easy is it to come back to the US?

7. Living if you could please comment on this or recommend a cheap apartment close to the school? In terms of this exclusive and inclusive business which is better in terms of what's the max I should pay for rent if its not inclusive? How much should I expect to pay for hydro municipality water internet if I pay separately?

8. How is the general student life there?

9.Can you comment on the schedule? Do you like it? Is it from 9-5? what about labs? Any helpful information?

Thanks so much

I am probably missing some but lol... thats a lot

Last edited:
Can i also ask which uni students usually do summer electives? Specifically canada and us

OMG thanks a lot. Wow, it seems like there aren't a lot of people there to answer questions. Ok here I go feel freee to not answer all of them but I think everyone would appreciate it and it would give us some insight on the the school and will be useful for future reference.

-do you hate or love you're school? What is you're favourite thing about it? Least favourite thing? (please name something aside from the fees-unless there's nothing)

1. How do you find the school there in general? The profs? Any bad profs? The courses? What's you favourite/least favourite course? How do you find the teaching (is it worth the money you're paying?)How do they compare to other schools like the ones in Canada or US or wherever?

2. I know you may not know yet, but how is the clinical experience? Do you find that there are a lot of opportunities for hands on learning? Do you feel prepared?

3. I heard although this may be a stupid question is it true you don't use cadavers? I was hesitant to ask this during my interview but how are you expected to learn if you don't use cadavers. I've seen both plastic models and cadavers and those are 2 different things????

4. What would you pack with you? For first year? What should you definitely bring? Anything that you would bring that you didn't have?

5. Any advice for us? Anything that you would recommend? Anything that you would do differently?

6. How is the match rate for the upper years? Have you heard anything about residencies and how easy is it to come back to the US?

7. Living if you could please comment on this or recommend a cheap apartment close to the school?

8. How is the general student life there?

9.Can you comment on the schedule? Do you like it? Is it from 9-5? what about labs? Any helpful information?

Thanks so much

I am probably missing some but lol... thats a lot

Its good to see that there are people accually interested in learning about a place before jumping into something, and if you made the effort to read this, then your one of them. I will try to answer all the question to best of my ability. Please forgive me for my spelling/grammer/ whatever i write.. as its late and i am very tried :sleep:. I will answer you questions in blocks at different time, in order to make sure i get everything you need properly.

1. doyou hate or love you're school? Whatis you're favourite thing about it? Least favourite thing? (please namesomething aside from the fees-unless there's nothing)
The school itself is good, i like it. Hating and liking more so comes from hating or like the country that the school itself. If you think you can enjoy your time in Bahrain.. then your experience in Bahrain will be smoother. Previously living in a middle east country can help a bit, but its really not that important AT ALL. I have buddies that are born and raised in ireland, N.A, and so on... and have had no trouble adjusting in the country at all. It all depends on how flexible you are at the end of the day. (plus) Everyone at school is super friendly from the staff to the students to everyone you can think off, they will help you out in anything.. BUT you have to ask for it...no one has a crystal magic ball to predict what you want. People in Bahrain are nice as well, so overall you will feel welcomed. The school has a small knit community, so basically everyone knows everyone. (plus) the school has everything a university should have library, study area/rooms, cafe, student councils, tons of different student organizations for you to join etc... there are student events nearly every week or so, so you will def have fun here. (negative) the school is located in busaiteen, which is far away from anywhere else... so you have to travel outside to go get stuff. There is no transportation services in bahrain (subway, metro etc..), so you will have take a cab most of the time.

2. How do you find the school there in general? The profs? Any bad profs? Thecourses? What's you favourite/least favourite course? How do you find theteaching (is it worth the money you're paying?)How do they compare to otherschools like the ones in Canada or US or wherever?

Quality is different from Canada (cause that is where i came from, so i figure i use that as an example). It's Irish which means, its confusing and often time changes on the spur of the moment (so this means that you have to keep checking your schedule online till 24 hours before, cause things change really fast here). This is inline with RCSI-Dublin, TCD, NUI schools of medicine. The courses and curriculum is the same as in dublin.. so the QUALITY that you get is excellent, no doubt. Teaching wise, they teach you everything you need to know for big licensing board exams (USLME, PLAB, etc...). Some of the profs, fly in from Dublin, Ireland to teach us some lectures... so we are getting the same quality i guess in that sense. There are some bad profs as well, but its up to you to make the most of it.

Iknow you may not know yet, but how is the clinical experience? Do you find thatthere are a lot of opportunities for hands on learning? Do you feel prepared?

Clinical exp, i am not to sure bout, cause i am only 2nd year. But for the first two years (foundation and JC1/JC2).. you get minimal exposure.. in JC1/JC2, we had an early pateint contact course.. but thats bout it. It is important that you study hard in your first few years, because what you learn then is VERY important when you get to your clinical years (which is mostly 3rd, 4th and 5th years), so yes they do prepare you properly. Learning style is not problem based like in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user