Re-applicant: 31 MCAT and 3.3 GPA. Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

overcoming

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am debating if I should apply again this cycle. I am lucky to have gotten two interviews this past cycle. Eventually I was rejected at one and currently waitlisted at the other. Should I apply again or wait a year to build up my app?

Applied: 2013-2014 cycle
Black Male, 27, California resident
Undergrad: UC Berkeley, graduated in 2008 with a major in Molecular Cell biology
cGPA/sGPA/gGPA: 3.3/3.26/3.5

MCAT:
BS 11 PS 11 VR 9 2013
BS 10 PS 14 VR 4 2013
BS 10 PS 11 VR 7 2007

AMCAS primary submitted: 7/19/13; verified 9/17/13
I know my application was submitted really late. My secondaries were completed by late September/early October.

ECs:

1. Elementary/middle school literacy tutor- 200 hrs
2. High school math/science tutor – 64 hrs
3. Community Health Worker – 80 hrs
4. Chemistry Instructor – 240 hrs
5. Math/Science high school instructor – 1360 hrs
6. College teaching assistant – 1600 hrs
7. Graduate Student Researcher – 3200 hrs
8. MS in Physiological Science

New information for 2014-2015 cycle:

1. First author paper
2. Three poster presentations
3. Abstract submitted for Neuroscience conference
4. 200 hrs volunteering in a clinic
5. 50+ hrs shadowing an Internal Medicine physician

New list for 2014-2015 cycle

* = reapplicant

Howard
Baylor
Drexel
UCI*
UCD*
UCSD*
UCLA*
UCSF*
Cornell
Columbia*
Keck USC*
Duke
University of Pennsylvania
Boston University
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
Case Western
Tufts
Temple
University of Colorado
University of Iowa
University of Massachusetts
Stony Brook University

I am applying for MD/PhD programs this cycle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looking at your stats (and your CA residence), your list this year seems a little top heavy. You hit ECs out of the park but your numbers simply aren't high enough to be competitive in schools such as UCSF, Duke, Michigan, Baylor, Columbia, Penn, Colorado...etc (check out the MSAR). Your 3 unbalanced MCATs do not look good to adcoms either unfortunately.

Where is your MS in Physio from?

Thank you for your advice. I got my MS from UCLA. I didn't realize my last MCAT score is considered unbalanced. I have access to MSAR, but I am looking for schools that value research and accepts relatively a lot of MD/Phd students. Do you think it's a good idea to remove the schools you've mentioned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice. I got my MS from UCLA. I didn't realize my last MCAT score is considered unbalanced. I have access to MSAR, but I am looking for schools that value research and accepts relatively a lot of MD/Phd students. Do you think it's a good idea to remove the schools you've mentioned?
Your last one is not - but schools see all your scores; the decrease in PS with an increase in VR in the same testing year will raise flags (not necessarily red, but flags nonetheless). I am not too familiar with MD/PhD stats so I wont put my personal opinion out there. I would suggest doing some more research, seeing if anyone on here is a MD/PhD at any of those schools and asking them about their opinions. Just watch out for your wallet! :)

I think this year will finally be "THE" year. That VR4 must have scared a lot of people off.

Goro suggests

Howard
Morehouse
Howard
Charles Drew
Drexel
UCI*
UCD*
UCSD*
UCLA*
UCSF*
Cornell
Columbia*
Keck USC*
Duke
Boston University
University of Pittsburgh
Case Western
Tufts
Jefferson
MCW
SLU
Temple
University of Colorado
Stony Brook University
U AZ
U CO
Loyola
Einstein
Hofstra
Emory
U Miami
Tulane
VCU

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Goro for your input. I will be a reapplicant at Emory, so I am not sure if I should apply again. Do you think adcoms will wonder why I am now interested in MD/PhD programs even though I didn't apply to any last cycle?