Re-applicant - 34 MCAT, 3.9 GPA. Need advice on school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imnola89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I applied late last cycle (secondaries submitted end of September, had to retake the MCAT during the summer) with the following stats:

- 34 MCAT (11PS/11VR/12BS)
- BS in neuroscience with honors thesis, BA in philosophy. 3.90 sGPA/3.86 cGPA
- Honors: graduated with honors in neuroscience, summa cum laude. Received the neuroscience faculty award from my university.
- 4 years of research in two physiology laboratories (during the school year and during 2 summers (through fellowships))
- Poster presentations at various national and regional conferences
- 300 hrs of clinical experience (worked as an orderly)
- 40-50 hrs of shadowing
- 200 hrs non-clinical volunteer
- TA for 2 neurosciences classes
- Interned at an NGO in Argentina for 6 months (support group for cancer patients)
- Interned at a major hospital for 6 months, helped a research nurse
- Fluency in French (native) and Spanish (advanced)

I applied to these schools last year:

Northwestern
Harvard
Mt. Sinai
U of Chicago
NYU
Emory
Columbia
Yale
UCSF
Einstein
Tufts
OHSU
Mayo
Boston
Georgetown
U of Illinois
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
GWU

I got interviews at Columbia (December), Tulane (January), and Einstein (end of March). I ended up both on Columbia's and Tulane's wait-list. Rejection from Einstein post-interview and rejection from all other schools pre-interview.

Since then, I have completed a master’s in neuroscience (GPA: 3.98). Additionally, I completed my master’s thesis and got my honor’s thesis published (first author in low impact journal). I was also a teaching assistant for 2 neurosciences classes during my master’s. I have just been hired as a laboratory research technician in the laboratory I have been working for since sophomore year and will be working full time for the next year.

I just got my AMCAS verified and will be submitting my secondaries as early as possible. I spent a significant amount of time working on my personal statement and the work-list section and I believe that are better then last year.

I have 2 quick questions:

1) Am I doing something wrong? I was a bit surprised that I received interview invitations from high ranked schools while hearing nothing from low-tier schools. Are there other schools that I should be applying to/Should I apply to different schools? I was convinced that my school list last year was broad enough but apparently not.

2) Is there anything that I could do to increase my chances?

Thanks so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

You have degrees in neuroscience and philosophy? You're not a doctor: you're a modern Immanuel Kant.

Wow, that is indeed surprising.

I have one suspicion: could your research have come off disproportionately strongly to your clinical involvement? Or its corollary: could you clinical involvement have come off secondary to your other commitments?

Also, you applied really late. So late that it probably killed your app, as it seems? Good going so far on the early completion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you really didn't apply broadly enough. 34 is a great score but not so great that you'd be applying to all these schools without at least a few more reasonable targets. What's your state school?

I have one suspicion: could your research have come off disproportionately strongly to your clinical involvement? Or its corollary: could you clinical involvement have come off secondary to your other commitments?

Yes, I imagine that it could have been the case. I am trying to get some more clinical involvement this year but it's going to be tough since I have a full time job now... I also made sure to emphasize (especially in the personal statement) that research constitutes only part of my application and I tried showing a more well-rounded profile. I guess there isn't a lot that can be done about that now. Hopefully it will work better this year!

Also, you really didn't apply broadly enough. 34 is a great score but not so great that you'd be applying to all these schools without at least a few more reasonable targets. What's your state school?

LSU. I didn't apply last year, it was a big mistake. I will definitely apply to the school this year though. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, I imagine that it could have been the case. I am trying to get some more clinical involvement this year but it's going to be tough since I have a full time job now... I also made sure to emphasize (especially in the personal statement) that research constitutes only part of my application and I tried showing a more well-rounded profile. I guess there isn't a lot that can be done about that now. Hopefully it will work better this year!

LSU. I didn't apply last year, it was a big mistake. I will definitely apply to the school this year though. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

At this point it's all about the subtleties. How was the tone of your PS? That should be indicative of the general impression you've made on the adcoms last cycle (and likely will make this cycle). If you want feedback on how to structure your secondaries, PM me with your PS. I was in the same boat last year too, but I've completely changed my mindset for this cycle.

Amazed you didn't get in anywhere, even with your slightly late app. Also amazed you didn't apply to LSU!

How are your LORs? Do you do anything that's non-academic? One thing I've noticed from all of the people I'm meeting in the incoming class at my school is that they're invariably accomplished in *something* besides academics/medicine. We have big time skiers, people who have hiked the AT, amusement park enthusiasts, musicians, pilots (actual commercial pilots!), and swing dancers. This might be a quirk of my particular school, but it's worth thinking about.

How are your LORs? Do you do anything that's non-academic? One thing I've noticed from all of the people I'm meeting in the incoming class at my school is that they're invariably accomplished in *something* besides academics/medicine. We have big time skiers, people who have hiked the AT, amusement park enthusiasts, musicians, pilots (actual commercial pilots!), and swing dancers. This might be a quirk of my particular school, but it's worth thinking about.

My LORs are good I believe. I have two letters from the PIs I've been doing research with, one from the head of the neuroscience department, one from the dean of the undergraduate programs, and one from my english teacher. I was debating if I should add a letter from someone that I shadowed or from someone I worked with in a hospital setting. I'll have to think about it but it might be beneficial. Is it usually expected that one LOR comes from a clinically-related person?

And as for non-academic stuff, I don't have anything exceptional...I travelled a lot, studied abroad in Latin America, but nothing outstanding. To be honest, my research is so time consuming that I do not have that much free time during the week!

Thanks!

My LORs are good I believe. I have two letters from the PIs I've been doing research with, one from the head of the neuroscience department, one from the dean of the undergraduate programs, and one from my english teacher. I was debating if I should add a letter from someone that I shadowed or from someone I worked with in a hospital setting. I'll have to think about it but it might be beneficial. Is it usually expected that one LOR comes from a clinically-related person?

And as for non-academic stuff, I don't have anything exceptional...I travelled a lot, studied abroad in Latin America, but nothing outstanding. To be honest, my research is so time consuming that I do not have that much free time during the week!

Thanks!

have you actually been taught by the dean and head of neurosciences?

have you actually been taught by the dean and head of neurosciences?

Yes, I was lucky enough to be taught by both. The dean ended up being my neuroscience advisor and the head of neurosciences was on both on my honor's and master's thesis committees.

As others have said, you made several errors.

1. Applying too late. Get that AMCAS in yesterday if you haven't submitted yet. It's almost July.

2. Not applying to your state schools. You're from a Southern state. Our state schools heavily prefer state residents. Make sure you apply to all of your in-state schools.

3. Not applying to the right OOS schools. Your list is too biased toward the coasts and toward high stat schools that are reaches for nearly everybody. Apply to more of the regional schools in neighboring states that take OOS residents.

My BS meter went off on your resume. What is advanced Spanish? You either can speak/understand Spanish or not. Lots of people can speak Spanish now so be ready if someone tests you. Also, my guess is you lack social skills and your English isn't very good. Did you see your recommendation letters? Is there a backhanded compliment in the letters? Example: Jeff is highly intelligent and if he stays focused he could be one of the best doctors. OR Jeff is really smart. If he applied himself better he could have gotten an A.

My BS meter went off on your resume. What is advanced Spanish? You either can speak/understand Spanish or not. Lots of people can speak Spanish now so be ready if someone tests you. Also, my guess is you lack social skills and your English isn't very good. Did you see your recommendation letters? Is there a backhanded compliment in the letters? Example: Jeff is highly intelligent and if he stays focused he could be one of the best doctors. OR Jeff is really smart. If he applied himself better he could have gotten an A.

This post is full of wtf.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This post is full of wtf.
He didn't get in with an almost perfect resume to 22 schools. Don't blame me for giving my opinion on an internet post. If you put Spanish down on a resume you should be able to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently. 3 interviews and doesn't get in with that resume:wideyed:. Tulane has an interview/enroll ratio of 37%, Einstein 13%, and Columbia 15.7% which means he was likely to get into at least 1 school.

Maybe we should use your advice jonnythan. Blame the schools because the OP was perfect but they still declined him.;)

He didn't get in with an almost perfect resume to 22 schools. Don't blame me for giving my opinion on an internet post. If you put Spanish down on a resume you should be able to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently. 3 interviews and doesn't get in with that resume:wideyed:. Tulane has an interview/enroll ratio of 37%, Einstein 13%, and Columbia 15.7% which means he was likely to get into at least 1 school.

Maybe we should use your advice jonnythan. Blame the schools because the OP was perfect but they still declined him.;)

I don't think its wrong for the OP to mention that he has advanced skills in a language that is not his native tongue. Language learning is definitely not that cut and dry. Also, unless that came up in an interview and he failed to perform, that wouldn't have affected his ability to get in (though saying "Fluent" instead of "Advanced" may come off better). And I'm sure that if he's taking Master's level Neuroscience courses, his English is just fine.

Your only good point is that we don't know whether he interviews well. OP, if your English is fine (I'm assuming it is...) then maybe try improving your interview skills. There are lots of books, classes and websites that can help. Role-playing can be good too.

:)

I don't think its wrong for the OP to mention that he has advanced skills in a language that is not his native tongue. Language learning is definitely not that cut and dry. Also, unless that came up in an interview and he failed to perform, that wouldn't have affected his ability to get in (though saying "Fluent" instead of "Advanced" may come off better). And I'm sure that if he's taking Master's level Neuroscience courses, his English is just fine.

Your only good point is that we don't know whether he interviews well. OP, if your English is fine (I'm assuming it is...) then maybe try improving your interview skills. There are lots of books, classes and websites that can help. Role-playing can be good too.

:)
When a Caucasian male chances of being accepted are 56% if his GPA is 3.4-3.6 with an MCAT of 30-32. Chances only increase based on race, being a female, or being Hispanic. So when someone on a medical board writes they had a 3.9 GPA and a 34 MCAT not being admitted, it is definitely not based on those two things. Did he shadow a physician? Yes Next question is. Does he have work experience, volunteer, and research experience (usually a combintion of volunteer and work/research would do)? imnola89 answered yes on all 3. Even though my BS meter went off on the things he wrote we will disregard that. Now are all imnola89 school top tier? Answer: No Did he receive interviews? Yes Did he get flat out rejected at interviews? YES RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG Is his first language English? No RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG

So if he is telling the truth on everything, the people interviewing him at Einstein thought there was something wrong with his social or English skills. Either way rejection had nothing to do with his resume if everything he is saying is the truth. My guess all 3 thought he lacked English or social skills, but two waitlisted him on resume alone. So he should really work on his interviewing skills at least twice a week for at least an hour.

He should take out that he speaks advanced Spanish, a) everyone in the US knows some Spanish and b) someone might test him on it. My guess is the word advanced means he knows some Spanish, but is not fluent which is useless/lying on a application/resume.

Last edited:
I think you probably applied to a few too many reaches for your stats. While your GPAs are certainly excellent, a 34 MCAT is nothing special at most of those schools and is sub-par at several of them. Even with that, I think you have other bigger issues.

Did he receive interviews? Yes Did he get flat out rejected at interviews? YES RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG Is his first language English? No RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG

Agree. It sounds like this may be a bigger problem than you think. From talking to adcoms, a fair amount of schools already have a strong idea about whether they'll accept, waitlist, or reject an applicant before they interview you, so they don't interview people they think they'll reject. Getting a straight rejection after an interview is a strong sign that either you said something stupid (maybe without even realizing it) or that you were very underwhelming in person compared to what adcoms were expecting from your application.

I'm actually shocked you didn't apply to LSU if you like NOLA. Judging by your username my guess is that we got our master's degrees from the same school. If so, you should do very well applying to LSU as they seem to love students from our program. I actually would have preferred LSU to Tulane med. I know/knew many students from each med school and the LSU students actually seemed like they knew what they were doing much more than the Tulane people, but that's just my opinion from my experiences.

Agree. It sounds like this may be a bigger problem than you think. From talking to adcoms, a fair amount of schools already have a strong idea about whether they'll accept, waitlist, or reject an applicant before they interview you, so they don't interview people they think they'll reject. Getting a straight rejection after an interview is a strong sign that either you said something stupid (maybe without even realizing it) or that you were very underwhelming in person compared to what adcoms were expecting from your application.
I have heard the same thing. Most people especially one with this resume on interview day if their interview(s) goes great they will get accepted. One of four things happened:
1)His English or social skills are horrible and they come out in an interview and maybe in his applications which would explain only 3 interviews.
2)Someone who he got a LOR from, gave him a bad one. By bad I don't mean Jeff was horrible and he never studied, I mean the passive-aggressive/backhanded compliment way of saying I don't like him. Usually these are given out by women. I don't know why people just don't say no I won't write you a LOR instead of trying to screw up a person's life.
3)He lied on his app/resume which would explain only 3 interviews with those stats
4)The whole post is BS. Which for some strange reason people have done on here. Maybe to discourage students from applying, but I highly doubt it would work.

Last edited:
Someone who he got a LOR from, gave him a bad one. By bad I don't mean Jeff was horrible and he never studied, I mean the passive-aggressive/backhanded compliment way of saying I don't like him. Usually these are given out by women.

Hey Troll,

Do you have any research to back this statement up. I mean you are an "Attending Physician" maybe you know how to back up your wild claims with a little evidence?

Come on have fun.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with your conclusion that the OP's English skills aren't good; in fact, their grammatically correct posts in this thread and their MCAT VR score of 11 both support the exact opposite conclusion. Based on what we've seen of their language proficiency in this thread, it is much more likely that the OP grew up bilingual and is in fact a native speaker of both English and French. Given that the OP studied and worked abroad in Latin America for at least six months, it seems likely that their Spanish language skills are also reasonably good, albeit not as good as either of their native languages. That's fine. It is not necessary to speak Spanish at the level of a native speaker in order to say that you have advanced language skills in Spanish. Otherwise, I could not claim to speak Spanish, and I most assuredly do.

You do bring up some good points, however, regarding how the OP may have been presenting him/herself in essays, LORs, and at interviews. One thing I did not mention in my prior post but that kthxbai did allude to is that the OP may not have come across as sufficiently motivated for medicine. And you are certainly correct that one of their LORs may not be as strong as it could be or that they may not have interviewed well. I still believe, however, that the OP's poor app strategy (wrong schools, too few schools, and too late in app season) were major issues hindering the OP's success, and maybe even the main major issues. The OP's app is certainly competitive with stats well above average, but it's far from "perfect," especially if coupled with a poor app strategy.

The levels of language are usually the following or similar: basic, intermediate, advanced (also called proficient), fluent, native/near native.

If you have ever studied with the CEFR or had to be tested for proficiency, you would be intimate with these and the letter system they use up through advanced (A is basic, B is intermediate, C is advanced). I think D is fluent and E is either still fluent or near native. Usually at that point they stop giving letters.

Looks like the OP is a C level in Spanish, and I guess E level in French. English either D or E.

This thread is terrifying.

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree with your conclusion that the OP's English skills aren't good; in fact, their grammatically correct posts in this thread and their MCAT VR score of 11 both support the exact opposite conclusion. Based on what we've seen of their language proficiency in this thread, it is much more likely that the OP grew up bilingual and is in fact a native speaker of both English and French. Given that the OP studied and worked abroad in Latin America for at least six months, it seems likely that their Spanish language skills are also reasonably good, albeit not as good as either of their native languages. That's fine. It is not necessary to speak Spanish at the level of a native speaker in order to say that you have advanced language skills in Spanish. Otherwise, I could not claim to speak Spanish, and I most assuredly do.

You do bring up some good points, however, regarding how the OP may have been presenting him/herself in essays, LORs, and at interviews. One thing I did not mention in my prior post but that kthxbai did allude to is that the OP may not have come across as sufficiently motivated for medicine. And you are certainly correct that one of their LORs may not be as strong as it could be or that they may not have interviewed well. I still believe, however, that the OP's poor app strategy (wrong schools, too few schools, and too late in app season) were major issues hindering the OP's success, and maybe even the main major issues. The OP's app is certainly competitive with stats well above average, but it's far from "perfect," especially if coupled with a poor app strategy.

Folks, there is a reason for every unsuccessful cycle, and in OP's case it is no different (although I have a feeling it will all turn out OK).

This time this fella will be just fine, so don't get your panties all in a twist over his stats. Focus on the awesomeness of your own app instead of fretting about someone else's story. All you can do is your best.

P.S

OP is a wonderful writer. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think his verbal skills had anything to do with this rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
The levels of language are usually the following or similar: basic, intermediate, advanced (also called proficient), fluent, native/near native.

If you have ever studied with the CEFR or had to be tested for proficiency, you would be intimate with these and the letter system they use up through advanced (A is basic, B is intermediate, C is advanced). I think D is fluent and E is either still fluent or near native. Usually at that point they stop giving letters.

Looks like the OP is a C level in Spanish, and I guess E level in French. English either D or E.
P.S

OP is a wonderful writer. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think his verbal skills had anything to do with this rejection.

Advanced means fluent. Also CEFR does not rank by A meaning basic, B intermediate, and c advanced it goes A means Basic B means Independent C means proficient. ACTFL ranks by novice, intermediate, advanced, and superior. The equivilants between the CEFR and ACTFL is A1 is considered novice A2 intermediate, B1 advanced low, B2 Advanced mid, C1 advanced high, and C2 Superior. Either way the original poster has never taken the ACTFL and would have to have to say he was advanced. Either way an advanced user by either metric can have a fluent conversation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages
Also the guys posts uses I ridiculously too much. Also says things as, "I got" and uses run-on sentences "I have just been hired as a laboratory research technician in the laboratory I have been working for since sophomore year and will be working full time for the next year.". Also expands sentences making them difficult to follow and says things that should be assumed when writing. For example, " I believe that are better then last year" . "I believe" well who else is going to believe that? I imagine you're writing this in first person so there is no need to say, "I believe". Lets leave that alone the "then" should be than and he forgot to put the noun in the sentence.

Advanced means fluent. Also CEFR does not rank by A meaning basic, B intermediate, and c advanced it goes A means Basic B means Independent C means proficient. ACTFL ranks by novice, intermediate, advanced, and superior. The equivilants between the CEFR and ACTFL is A1 is considered novice A2 intermediate, B1 advanced low, B2 Advanced mid, C1 advanced high, and C2 Superior. Either way the original poster has never taken the ACTFL and would have to have to say he was advanced. Either way an advanced user by either metric can have a fluent conversation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages
Also the guys posts uses I ridiculously too much. Also says things as, "I got" and uses run-on sentences "I have just been hired as a laboratory research technician in the laboratory I have been working for since sophomore year and will be working full time for the next year.". Also expands sentences making them difficult to follow and says things that should be assumed when writing. For example, " I believe that are better then last year" . "I believe" well who else is going to believe that? I imagine you're writing this in first person so there is no need to say, "I believe". Lets leave that alone the "then" should be than and he forgot to put the noun in the sentence.

You should really be talking about anyone's language abilities given I see more than a few grammatical errors in your post. You can, contrary to popular believe, have a writing style different from speaking style. Additionally, there is formal versus informal writing. I have been a professional writer and editor for many years possibly longer than some people on this forum have been alive. Further? Used to be a TA for ESL a very very long time ago so had to have these specs roughly memorized.

My school (I actually attend an international school, thank you) uses CEFR standards for languages exclusively. We have A-E which we get from the CEFR itself which is a crap load more accurate then the wiki entry. I am currently enrolled in an A level language course which by the end of it I will be A2+ in Modern Hebrew (my class is in 30 minutes). I need to complete it before I transfer into a mandatory B level in the same language, at which time I will be adding another A level. It was these standards I used when filling out my AMCAS language level for languages I was not sure where I placed into and took the lowest (example my french reading is testing B2+, but speaking is A2, so I put basic.) In undergrad here in the US, I had to test using CEFR... C1 in Latin (it has since decreased). In my current school, I am officially listed as a C2+ in English with authorization to take D or E level courses in English if I so wished which if I did and I took say D because I am lazy and they learned I was E, they would transfer me immediately.

The following is not from my school it is from another location as we don't have the sublevels. The OP has a C1+ in Spanish. As you see... PROFICIENT is C1. By the end of the C levels, OP would be fluent as he would be placed in a D or higher level course.

http://www.eur.nl/english/ltc/alumni/cefr/

A Beginners level

A1: Breakthrough

A2: Waystage

B Intermediate level

B1: Threshold

B2: Vantage

C Advanced level

C1: Effective Operational Proficiency

C2: Mastery

You should really be talking about anyone's language abilities given I see more than a few grammatical errors in your post. You can, contrary to popular believe, have a writing style different from speaking style. Additionally, there is formal versus informal writing. I have been a professional writer and editor for many years possibly longer than some people on this forum have been alive. Further? Used to be a TA for ESL a very very long time ago so had to have these specs roughly memorized.

My school (I actually attend an international school, thank you) uses CEFR standards for languages exclusively. We have A-E which we get from the CEFR itself which is a crap load more accurate then the wiki entry. I am currently enrolled in an A level language course which by the end of it I will be A2+ in Modern Hebrew (my class is in 30 minutes). I need to complete it before I transfer into a mandatory B level in the same language, at which time I will be adding another A level. It was these standards I used when filling out my AMCAS language level for languages I was not sure where I placed into and took the lowest (example my french reading is testing B2+, but speaking is A2, so I put basic.) In undergrad here in the US, I had to test using CEFR... C1 in Latin (it has since decreased). In my current school, I am officially listed as a C2+ in English with authorization to take D or E level courses in English if I so wished which if I did and I took say D because I am lazy and they learned I was E, they would transfer me immediately.

The following is not from my school it is from another location as we don't have the sublevels. The OP has a C1+ in Spanish. As you see... PROFICIENT is C1. By the end of the C levels, OP would be fluent as he would be placed in a D or higher level course.

http://www.eur.nl/english/ltc/alumni/cefr/

A Beginners level

A1: Breakthrough

A2: Waystage

B Intermediate level

B1: Threshold

B2: Vantage

C Advanced level

C1: Effective Operational Proficiency

C2: Mastery
ROFL You had to go to a Netherlands website. There are 1000s of websites that say my ranking is correct. So nice try and good job on getting the most random website to give you information. Saying that you take languages classes doesn't mean anything, the information you gave was wrong. Anyone can go to Council of Europe's publications to see it is basic, independent, and proficient plus the other 1000s of websites to see it is basic, independent, and proficient.

http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/linguistic/Source/SourceForum07/ForumFeb07_ Report_EN.doc#_Toc176173047
http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/linguistic/liam/Source/Events/2008/2008Little_CEFRmigrants_EN.pdf
http://www.britishcouncil.org/slovakia-english-common-european-framework.htm

I was never a re-applicant. My English or social skills are more than sufficient for an MD school.

@Comeonhavefun, I'd love to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

I've seen your posts on SDN from time to time, and I can't say I'm impressed with anything you've contributed to this community. You're toxic, cynical, and eager to pick fights.

Please, allow me to congratulate you on fooling the adcoms and making it through med school, but we all know that you're a first class tool.

So. Unless you have something constructive to say, why don't you climb up your ego and jump down to your IQ - because we've had enough misery around here as it is.

Reactions: 3 users
ROFL You had to go to a Netherlands website. There are 1000s of websites that say my ranking is correct. So nice try and good job on getting the most random website to give you information. Saying that you take languages classes doesn't mean anything, the information you gave was wrong. Anyone can go to Council of Europe's publications to see it is basic, independent, and proficient plus the other 1000s of websites to see it is basic, independent, and proficient.

http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/linguistic/Source/SourceForum07/ForumFeb07_ Report_EN.doc#_Toc176173047
http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/linguistic/liam/Source/Events/2008/2008Little_CEFRmigrants_EN.pdf

I was never a re-applicant. My English or social skills are more than sufficient for an MD school.

If I call you out on meaning to say "and" would you then tell me it was an inclusive "or"

Or maybe you didn't think that far, grammar police?

All I had to do was google what proficient meant in the standard.

It was the second hit after Wiki on every single search I had.

@familyaerospace

The more you feed the troll the fatter that thing gets.

Time to go on a diet!

Reactions: 1 users
If I call you out on meaning to say "and" would you then tell me it was an inclusive "or"

Or maybe you didn't think that far, grammar police?
There is a difference between being a grammar nazi and someone saying they couldn't get into a school with really bad grammar. The original poster starts off most his sentences with I and only 2 sentences out of 18 didn't have the words I within the first 7 words. This is something kids work on in elementary school and almost everyone who has English as a first language never uses I this much.

"I applied late last cycle" "I applied to these" "I got interviews at " " I ended up both " "Rejection from Einstein" "Since then, I have completed " "Additionally, I completed my " " I was also a teaching" "I have just been hired" "I just got my AMCAS " " I spent a significant amount " "I have 2 quick" "Am I doing something wrong?" " I was a bit surprised that I" " Are there other schools that I" "I was convinced that my" " Is there anything that I " "Thanks so much for your time! "
All I had to do was google what proficient meant in the standard.

It was the second hit after Wiki on every single search I had.
Keep telling yourself that. You can type CEFR in google and you will see almost all the websites support my guideline. There are more on page one of the search I can post, but not going to waste my time
http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/about-us/what-we-do/international-language-standards/
http://www.ielts.org/researchers/common_european_framework.aspx

@familyaerospaceE
@familyaerospace

The more you feed the troll the fatter that thing gets.

Time to go on a diet!

No kidding.

Especially since 5+ years working in ESL professionally (this was way before medical school was a twinkle in my eye) trumps Wiki.

For the record I hate the system, but the alphabetical equivalent makes my life so much easier when stating where I am even though I want to try to be a gunner and argue over if I should be B1 or A2 and argue over points.

There is a difference between being a grammar nazi and someone saying they couldn't get into a school with really bad grammar. The original poster starts off most his sentences with I and only 2 sentences out of 18 didn't have the words I within the first 7 words. This is something kids work on in elementary school and almost everyone who has English as a first language never uses I this much.

"I applied late last cycle" "I applied to these" "I got interviews at " " I ended up both " "Rejection from Einstein" "Since then, I have completed " "Additionally, I completed my " " I was also a teaching" "I have just been hired" "I just got my AMCAS " " I spent a significant amount " "I have 2 quick" "Am I doing something wrong?" " I was a bit surprised that I" " Are there other schools that I" "I was convinced that my" " Is there anything that I " "Thanks so much for your time! "

Keep telling yourself that. You can type CEFR in google and you will see almost all the websites support my guideline. There are more on page one of the search I can post, but not going to waste my time
http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/about-us/what-we-do/international-language-standards/
http://www.ielts.org/researchers/common_european_framework.aspx

Its very possible to write with second language patterns even after years of experience in using the language proficiently.

Applying late and not applying to your state school-LSU-were the only mistakes on last years application. Since medical school admission can be unpredictable consider applying to some newer medical schools where you may receive an interview such as Quinnipiac, Hofstra, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Also consider New York Medical College, Albany, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis and Creighton where your stats would be competitive. The more schools you apply to the more likely you will receive additional interviews. If you reach 6 or 7 interviews one is likely to come through with an admission for you.