Re-applicant - 38 MCAT, 3.6 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyQC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am considering reapplying after having virtually no luck this past cycle. A detailed description of my application can be found here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/38-mcat-3-6-gpa-what-went-wrong.1060019/

In sum: 38 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, hundreds of hours of clinical volunteer experience, and thousands of hours of work experience. No research. NM resident. Applied in the western states. Ended up with two rejections and one waitlist.

I have three quick questions:

1) I have continued volunteering and shadowing over the past year, but haven't been involved in research. If I were to reapply, would a few hundred more hours of clinical experience be considered a significant improvement over last cycle?

2) Would I be considered a re-applicant if I applied via TMDSAS?

3) Is it plausible that yield protection played a role in the rejection from my state school?

I won't be receiving post-interview feedback for another several weeks and I am getting increasingly anxious about my future. Debating between re-applying in June or taking a year off and possibly applying to a DVM program.

In any case, your feedback would be greatly appreciated! At a loss as to why I failed to secure an acceptance and not quite sure what to do.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

"Ended up with two rejections and one waitlist."

What about all the other schools? You didn't apply to just 3 schools ... or did you?

Reactions: 1 users
"Ended up with two rejections and one waitlist."

What about all the other schools? You didn't apply to just 3 schools ... or did you?

Applied to about 15 schools. Silence or rejection from 12 of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection pre-interview with those stats means you have a red flag. Maybe a bad LOR or your essays are weak.

One possibility is that your willingness to be a vet instead of a doc indicates a lack of commitment to medicine that came across to your reviewers.

Search this forum for "red flag" for more ideas.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you right now with almost 100% certainty that your application was unfocused and you probably blabbered uncontrollably during the interview. As with my past clients in the same situation, once I review their past year's application with them, we often see that the various elements just point in different directions and as a non-traditional application your story needs to be more focused and concise. -Admissionstomedicine

Thank you for the feedback.

I am still totally perplexed by my rejection for my state school. Not only did my interviewer tell me that my PS was one of the best he had seen, but he also promised to write me a "great report" and support my candidacy at the committee meeting.

I am really hoping that any red flag comes to light when I receive feedback next month. Until then, though, I guess I'll continue racking my brain to try to figure out what went wrong.

UPDATE:

Last week, I received feedback from one of the schools that rejected me. The long and short of it is that I didn't have enough clinical experience.

Is 600 hours no longer considered competitive? Do adcom members not consider volunteer service from several years ago?

I felt like clinical experience was one of my strengths - I even received an award for my volunteer work - but apparently a lack of clinical experience was the primary reason I was rejected. It leaves me a bit confused.

Am I missing something here? I was told that I would have a much better chance of acceptance next cycle since I have accrued several hundred more hours of clinical experience (hospice) as well as a few dozen more shadowing hours. However, when it comes right down to it, I find it hard to believe that there is a major difference between six hundred and one thousand hours.

Any further advice would be appreciated!

Sounds like you didn't apply to the right schools and that they had to come up with something to explain your rejection.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like you didn't apply to the right schools and that they had to come up with something to explain your rejection.

Thanks, cabinbuilder.

My application was definitely top-heavy - no doubt about that - but this was my state school. Not only that, but this is a state school with one of the highest acceptance to applicant ratios in the country. If they needed a reason to reject me, there was certainly a big hole in my application in the form of research. Saying that 600 hours of clinical experience was insufficient and the primary reason for my rejection has really thrown me for a loop!

Thanks, cabinbuilder.

My application was definitely top-heavy - no doubt about that - but this was my state school. Not only that, but this is a state school with one of the highest acceptance to applicant ratios in the country. If they needed a reason to reject me, there was certainly a big hole in my application in the form of research. Saying that 600 hours of clinical experience was insufficient and the primary reason for my rejection has really thrown me for a loop!
Goes to show you that nothing is guaranteed. Did you apply late? Was your essay boring? Research is not necessary. Didn't apply to enough schools, etc. You have enough clinical. Getting into med school is like a lottery. Every year is different. They can't accept everyone. Reapply the day it opens.

It seems like everyone is glossing over the problem here: you applied to the west coast only, aka the most difficult geographic region to get into in the country (fun fact- that continues into residency as well). Trust me if you had applied to fifteen schools in the Midwest you'd be in right now. Cast a wider net next year.

Goes to show you that nothing is guaranteed. Did you apply late? Was your essay boring? Research is not necessary. Didn't apply to enough schools, etc. You have enough clinical. Getting into med school is like a lottery. Every year is different. They can't accept everyone. Reapply the day it opens.

I applied within a few days of AMCAS opening. I have been told different things from different people regarding my PS: one adviser said it was "exceptional," one adcom member said it "could use some improvement," one interviewer said it was "the best" he had seen. All in all, I don't think that was the major problem.

I am still praying that I'll get off the one waitlist I'm on. If not, I'll be re-applying with a few hundred more hours of clinical experience and a few dozen more shadowing hours. May apply more broadly as well.

Thanks for your help.

I applied within a few days of AMCAS opening. I have been told different things from different people regarding my PS: one adviser said it was "exceptional," one adcom member said it "could use some improvement," one interviewer said it was "the best" he had seen. All in all, I don't think that was the major problem.

I am still praying that I'll get off the one waitlist I'm on. If not, I'll be re-applying with a few hundred more hours of clinical experience and a few dozen more shadowing hours. May apply more broadly as well.

Thanks for your help.

Tough cycle for sure OP! Great stats, good ECs, seems like a solid app overall. It'll be tough to get over all the rejection, but definitely be prepared to reapply day one with a stellar app. Then go on vacation or do something fun to recharge, if you can. Definitely make the most of an additional year if it comes down to that. I hated being a re applicant, but I had a blast in my gap years and definitely will start medical school with more experience and focus than I would have if I got in the first time.

What's your new school list? Get some PS readers to read your PS, and definitely rewrite it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, lalalaaaaaa.

I think I would be stomaching the rejection a bit better if it wasn't for my age. My goal was to start medical school before my 30th birthday. Having to wait another year would really take the wind out of my sails. It's just a psychological issue, but nevertheless it's something that has been difficult for me to deal with.

Looking at applying to the following schools next cycle (if it comes to that):

University of New Mexico
University of Arizona (both Tucson and Phoenix)
Everywhere in CA
Everywhere in TX
University of Utah
University of Nevada
University of Colorado

And possibly: Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Vanderbilt, University of Virginia

Open to any suggestions. I have quite a bit of clinical experience - over 1,000 hours at this point - but very little research. As I mentioned in my WAMC thread, it would be preferable to stay in the West. However, I'm open to casting a wider net provided that I won't be too far from a major city.

Last edited:
Andy, your biggest problem in this whole process is you. You're so busy trying to set up the perfect scenario that you're missing out on plenty of perfectly good scenarios. What is your true goal here: to be a physician five years from now, or to try to micromanage everything to the point that you wind up not going to med school at all because things never line up exactly the way you envisioned them?

You're an adult with a family. You already know that life is messy and usually doesn't go as planned, especially where kids are involved. It doesn't usually go as planned where medical training is concerned, either. OMG, you're not starting school before age 30? Time to take you out behind the barn and put you out of your misery due to your old age, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Come on, wake up and join the 21st century here. There are so many of us going to med school in our 30s these days that it doesn't even raise eyebrows any more. You need to let go of some of these unrealistic expectations of how things have to play out if you want to give yourself the best possible chance of success at becoming a physician. Of course, if what you really want is to give yourself the best possible chance of being a control freak reapplicant over and over again, then by all means, carry on as you are.

University of New Mexico
Everywhere in CA
Everywhere in TX
University of Utah
University of Nevada
University of Colorado
...University of Virginia
What are you doing. Come on. Be serious.

When you build a school list, this is what you do:
1. Apply to all your own home state's schools, public and private. If you are doing WWAMI or WICHE then "in-state" expands, otherwise you only get one state.
2. Pick another 10-30 schools, mostly private, where you have a reasonable chance based on stats and the ratio of OOS students to OOS apps.
3. Add 5-10 reaches such as Ivies and public schools in states where you're not a resident. UC's are just as competitive as Ivies.

Regardless, I'm with Q. Your priorities are wacky and you don't respect your competition.

Thanks, lalalaaaaaa.

I think I would be stomaching the rejection a bit better if it wasn't for my age. My goal was to start medical school before my 30th birthday. Having to wait another year would really take the wind out of my sails. It's just a psychological issue, but nevertheless it's something that has been difficult for me to deal with.

University of New Mexico
Everywhere in CA
Everywhere in TX
University of Utah
University of Nevada
University of Colorado

And possibly: Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Vanderbilt, University of Virginia,

Open to any suggestions. I have quite a bit of clinical experience - over 1,000 hours at this point - but very little research. As I mentioned in my WAMC thread, it would be preferable to stay in the West. However, I'm open to casting a wider net provided that I won't be too far from a major city.

The last two comments are definitely a dose of reality and important to consider. In regards to age, I can totally see this as a psychological barrier, especially with a family and kids. You have a good app, so I think it's fair, though not realistic, to think that you could choose a location for school and be successful getting accepted in that location. Unfortunately, that's just not how med school admissions works. Too many qualified applicants for a handful of spots. The age thing you will get over in time, I'm sure, and it will end up not being an issue once you're in med school, and definitely not an issue when you have been in practice for 20 years. I can imagine it's tough to get perspective after an unsuccessful cycle though.

It's imperative that you cast a MUCH wider net. Still applying with the hope that you will get in at a school close to home is definitely okay, but apply to about 20-25 schools total including a bunch of private ones on the east coast. It will be better to get into a school in philly than no school at all and have to reapply AGAIN. Also look at local DO schools (Rocky Vista in CO comes to mind if you can stomach a for profit, very expensive, medical school). You have a better shot for sure.

For your schools, buy an MSAR and consider:

GW, Tulane, Drexel, Temple, Rush, Einstein, SLU, Northwestern, Albany, NYMC, Emory, Wake Forest, etc...

Andy, your biggest problem in this whole process is you. You're so busy trying to set up the perfect scenario that you're missing out on plenty of perfectly good scenarios. What is your true goal here: to be a physician five years from now, or to try to micromanage everything to the point that you wind up not going to med school at all because things never line up exactly the way you envisioned them?

You're an adult with a family. You already know that life is messy and usually doesn't go as planned, especially where kids are involved. It doesn't usually go as planned where medical training is concerned, either. OMG, you're not starting school before age 30? Time to take you out behind the barn and put you out of your misery due to your old age, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Come on, wake up and join the 21st century here. There are so many of us going to med school in our 30s these days that it doesn't even raise eyebrows any more. You need to let go of some of these unrealistic expectations of how things have to play out if you want to give yourself the best possible chance of success at becoming a physician. Of course, if what you really want is to give yourself the best possible chance of being a control freak reapplicant over and over again, then by all means, carry on as you are.

Thanks, Q. I would prefer not to be executed behind the barn.

In all seriousness, though, starting medical school before my 30th birthday was just a personal goal that was important to me; failing to land an acceptance this cycle would not be a game changer.

It is abundantly clear that I sabotaged myself by applying to a narrow range of schools. I used the MSAR last cycle and matched my LizzyM to schools within a few hundred mile radius. Unfortunately, I failed to appreciate the importance of ECs and research.

That said, the rejection from my IS school came out of left field and I still don't quite understand it. Had an adviser not told me that I was a "shoe-in," I may have given serious consideration to applying to a larger number of schools.

What are you doing. Come on. Be serious.

When you build a school list, this is what you do:
1. Apply to all your own home state's schools, public and private. If you are doing WWAMI or WICHE then "in-state" expands, otherwise you only get one state.
2. Pick another 10-30 schools, mostly private, where you have a reasonable chance based on stats and the ratio of OOS students to OOS apps.
3. Add 5-10 reaches such as Ivies and public schools in states where you're not a resident. UC's are just as competitive as Ivies.

Regardless, I'm with Q. Your priorities are wacky and you don't respect your competition.

Thanks. I do respect my competition, especially after spending some time with fellow applicants on the interview trail.

Also - and with all due respect - I wouldn't consider wanting to stay near my family a "wacky" priority. It may have been short-sighted, but frankly I worked really hard to position myself to land an acceptance at a school in the West. It's not like I had a 25 MCAT and 3.0 GPA and decided that I was going to gun for UCSF. I applied to several schools where my scores and GPA were substantially higher than the average and 10-20%+ of the student body came from OOS.

If I re-apply, my state school (U of NM) will be included. I was told that I did not have enough clinical experience last cycle but that my numbers, interviews, and LORs were all very good. I can't imagine that I'd be rejected again after spending much of the last year as a hospice volunteer. Obviously there are no guarantees in this process, though, so it might behoove me to invest in an MSAR and pick schools per your recommendation.

The last two comments are definitely a dose of reality and important to consider. In regards to age, I can totally see this as a psychological barrier, especially with a family and kids. You have a good app, so I think it's fair, though not realistic, to think that you could choose a location for school and be successful getting accepted in that location. Unfortunately, that's just not how med school admissions works. Too many qualified applicants for a handful of spots. The age thing you will get over in time, I'm sure, and it will end up not being an issue once you're in med school, and definitely not an issue when you have been in practice for 20 years. I can imagine it's tough to get perspective after an unsuccessful cycle though.

It's imperative that you cast a MUCH wider net. Still applying with the hope that you will get in at a school close to home is definitely okay, but apply to about 20-25 schools total including a bunch of private ones on the east coast. It will be better to get into a school in philly than no school at all and have to reapply AGAIN. Also look at local DO schools (Rocky Vista in CO comes to mind if you can stomach a for profit, very expensive, medical school). You have a better shot for sure.

For your schools, buy an MSAR and consider:

GW, Tulane, Drexel, Temple, Rush, Einstein, SLU, Northwestern, Albany, NYMC, Emory, Wake Forest, etc...

Thanks again, lalalaaaaa. I was shooting from the hip when I mentioned schools in my previous post; those are schools where friends/family/SDNers have been accepted with comparable stats. I guess I should probably re-up my MSAR subscription.

The way I approached last application cycle was to apply to several reach schools and two safeties (state school and a DO school). In retrospect, I think the ratio probably should have been reversed. This process has become unimaginably competitive - even worse than when my wife applied just a few years ago - and I couldn't anticipate that my state school would hand me a rejection. Guess I just have to move on and accept that this process is anything but predictable.

Last edited:
I agree it is not wacky or a lack of respect that informed your school choice, especially because you have a family that you are trying to consider. Now you realize how crazy competative the west coast is as an applicant. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Not sure where some of this hostility is coming from via Dr Midlife. You got burned in a competative applicant pool where you are definitely competative. You seem to own your mistakes and are moving forward and that's respectable.

Make sure your ducks are in a line for this cycle though and have people go over your PS and school list as you come up with it. A new LOR would be good as well.

FAScinating how folks perceive hostility. I come from the era before self-esteem-and-everybody-gets-a-trophy. As does Q, as does LizzyM, as do the vast majority of adcoms. As will your med school professors and ward attendings.
Also - and with all due respect - I wouldn't consider wanting to stay near my family a "wacky" priority.
With all due respect, you say not starting med school before 30 will knock the wind out of your sails, and you talk about wanting to do vet school instead, but you don't say much about wanting to stay close to family. By all means prioritize staying close to family (particularly if you have children and need the rents and in-laws around) but then be responsible about what it means to prioritize Western schools. Do the work to understand what you're doing by choosing to apply to UC's and the like, when you have a still-pretty-much-unknown reason for not being loved at UNM.

I think you got played at that followup meeting - they're just not telling you what you need to know. My stock recommendation in this case is to find and/or hire somebody who will give you the constructive and personal feedback you need after reviewing your previous app and interviewing you.
It may have been short-sighted, but frankly I worked really hard to position myself to land an acceptance at a school in the West. It's not like I had a 25 MCAT and 3.0 GPA and decided that I was going to gun for UCSF. I applied to several schools where my scores and GPA were substantially higher than the average and 10-20%+ of the student body came from OOS.
It doesn't work that way. Going after an OOS seat at a public school means you're competing against the top 5% of candidates, not the instate average. If you're going after those spots, you'd better have pubs and epic leadership assets. This is why I'm saying you don't respect your competition - you don't appear to have researched your competition.

If staying in a Western state is so important, why would you skip over USC, Stanford, Creighton, maybe Loma Linda if you're so oriented? Are you thinking you'll get instate tuition somehow? (Hint: you won't, not by being a student.)

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know why you didn't get into your state school either. It certainly wasn't because your stats aren't good enough, and I guess if they said they wanted to see more clinical experience, there's your answer (though it does leave me wondering if there's something else going on too, since you said you've done several hundred hours' worth of clinical activities already, and you got so many pre-invite rejections even with stellar stats).

As for what the interviewer said, I would argue that interviewers should never say such things to applicants. One person who dislikes you can certainly blackball you and guarantee that you don't get an acceptance. That happens on a regular basis. However, one person who thinks you're the greatest thing since sliced bread can't guarantee you a seat because it's the whole committee that selects applicants; it's not just up to your interviewer. Even if he recommends accepting you, the rest of the adcom can choose not to accept his rec.

And seriously, don't sweat starting med school in your 30s. It's not a failure on your part. Med school is hard enough. Don't put so much extra unnecessary pressure on yourself.

University of New Mexico
Everywhere in CA
Everywhere in TX
University of Utah
University of Nevada
University of Colorado

This is not a very good list (unless you have become a resident of the state of TX).

This is not a very good list (unless you have become a resident of the state of TX).

Thanks, gyngyn. I do have close ties to TX, but I understand that the state law requires something like 90% of matriculating students to be TX residents. I figure it would be worthwhile to throw my hat in the ring since TMDSAS is inexpensive and the secondaries aren't very lengthy. Nevertheless, looks like it might be prudent to get this year's MSAR.

Thanks, gyngyn. I do have close ties to TX, but I understand that the state law requires something like 90% of matriculating students to be TX residents. I figure TMDSAS is fairly inexpensive and the secondaries don't look too lengthy, so it would be worthwhile to throw my hat in the ring. Nevertheless, looks like it might be prudent to get this year's MSAR.
All but Baylor must matriculate >90%.
Get the MSAR. The schools where you are a re-applicant should get a half vote only...except maybe your state school.

Last edited by a moderator:
FAScinating how folks perceive hostility. I come from the era before self-esteem-and-everybody-gets-a-trophy. As does Q, as does LizzyM, as do the vast majority of adcoms. As will your med school professors and ward attendings.

lol chill out - with all do respect. OP got burned this cycle and learned the hard way about how competative this process is. OP isn't looking for hand outs. OP had a solid app, got in a good position for an acceptance, and fell just a bit short. OP is trying to make sense of a process that easily could have gone his way. Not sure why you decided to play the in-my-day-life-was-tougher and everyone-who-is-young(30?)-is-ignorant-and-self-entitled cards.

Remind me which amazing, idyllic, pinnacle of mankind, era you grew up in? Was it the we-might-get-nuked-at-any-second one? The American-Eugenics-Movement one? The institutionalize-all-the-mentally-ill one? The lets-fear-all-commies one? The seperate-but-equal one? Or was it the we-raised-a-generation-of-people-with-self-esteem-oh-****-woops-totally-a-bad-move-but-lets-give-them-trophys-anyways one? If only OP grew up in an era with a time machine so we could send him back to your generation and he could grow up to be a less self entitled brat! I would totally give your generation a trophy for being the best. You earned it!

OP - make a better school list. You need to look at private schools (mostly east coast/mid west). Get an MSAR and look at the %OOS vs %IS. Applying to Texas is probably a waste of money/time. If you are 100% on staying west coast, and medicine isn't working out, look into being a PA it's a great career, less time, and you probably have more flexibility in regards to what state you end up in.

Last edited:
Thanks, lalalaaaaaa.

University of New Mexico
Everywhere in CA
Everywhere in TX
University of Utah
University of Nevada
University of Colorado

I think you need to get it out of your head that the West coast is the ONLY place you will apply. The amounts of students vying for so few slots is outrageous. I, too, wanted to stay on the West coast and that just wasn't going to happen. You need to cast a wider net an apply where you have the best probability of acceptance. You can always apply for residency in the West and you certainly can get a job in the West after it's all done.

Andy, I took a look at UNM's mission statement and they are very clear about one aspect: "educating and increasing the diversity of all New Mexicans". I wonder if you were rejected because you didn't present yourself well there. Are you a white male, when they were seeking to accept more URMs? What about all those clinical hours? Were they designed to help in an impoverished area or in a private, upscale practice? One other factor. Did you get C- grades? Those weren't sufficient. Finally, since your MCAT is so strong, especially compared to their average - 23-34, that counted against you somehow. Scholastic achievement ranks higher than MCAT. If nothing else, you might want to address these somehow in their secondary.

Andy, I took a look at UNM's mission statement and they are very clear about one aspect: "educating and increasing the diversity of all New Mexicans". I wonder if you were rejected because you didn't present yourself well there. Are you a white male, when they were seeking to accept more URMs? What about all those clinical hours? Were they designed to help in an impoverished area or in a private, upscale practice? One other factor. Did you get C- grades? Those weren't sufficient. Finally, since your MCAT is so strong, especially compared to their average - 23-34, that counted against you somehow. Scholastic achievement ranks higher than MCAT. If nothing else, you might want to address these somehow in their secondary.

I am, indeed, an ORM. My hours were split between a clinic in an underserved area and home healthcare. I have several F's, but nothing below an A- since 2011 or so. And my cumulative GPA is still a touch over 3.60.

I am planning on re-applying to all of the same schools from last cycle. I'm also adding all of the TX schools as well at UT, OR, and CO. Beyond that, I'm open to any suggestions. Looking at Tufts, Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple right now, but obviously I'm going to need more than that. Any input is appreciated!

My updated app with new activities in bold:

Academic
Major: Exercise Physiology
GPA: 3.6 (strong upward trend; 4.0 for past two years with straight A's in pre-req courses); slightly higher than last year after taking summer courses
MCAT: 38 (13/13/12)

Volunteering
300 hours as patient companion for MS charity organization
300 hours at community clinic in underserved area of NM
500 hours at hospice

Shadowing
~78 hours - primary care, neurology, anesthesiology, psychiatry, hem/onc

Research
50 hours in exercise physiology lab (funding pulled and lost position midway through project)
Poster presentation at small conference
40 hours in cancer research lab; projected to be 1,000+ hours by August, 2015 (joined recently and committed to 20 hours/week)

Work Experience
1000s of hours as physical therapy aide
1000s of hours as tech support for software company
~400 hours MCAT tutor
(Self-supported throughout college)

Miscellaneous
Hobbies - writing (published in several major magazines); pet fostering
Honors - Dean's List and award for community service
LORs - very strong; knew my professors very well; one new letter from hospice volunteer coordinator
PS - went through 8-10 drafts; one interviewer said that it was one of the best he had seen; made several improvements

Thank you!

I was just reading somewhere today that NM is really a bilingual med school. Hopefully you speak Spanish fluently. Also, your Fs create a huge warning to some schools. I know some schools use that as a cut-off criteria. Be sure to investigste which ones.

I was just reading somewhere today that NM is really a bilingual med school. Hopefully you speak Spanish fluently. Also, your Fs create a huge warning to some schools. I know some schools use that as a cut-off criteria. Be sure to investigste which ones.

Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea that the F's would have such a negative impact at certain schools. Is the fact that they are over ten years old relevant or is it simply an autoscreen process?

I am...semi-bilingual. I speak Spanish quite well and may have been a bit too modest on my AMCAS self-assessment. Will probably rate myself higher this time around.

Thanks, lalalaaaaaa.

University of New Mexico
Everywhere in CA
Everywhere in TX
University of Utah
University of Nevada
University of Colorado

CA public schools are a crap shoot. Almost all are highly ranked, some (Irvine, I think) have a mission to produce doctors that will serve not in the state as a whole but in their specific geographic region (ie- need more than just a CA tie). Utah only takes in-state, and Idaho residents. Nevada has an extremely small number of spots for non-residence (6 or 8 or something), though as a NM resident you do qualify. CO- refer to statement of CA schools.

CA public schools are a crap shoot. Almost all are highly ranked, some (Irvine, I think) have a mission to produce doctors that will serve not in the state as a whole but in their specific geographic region (ie- need more than just a CA tie). Utah only takes in-state, and Idaho residents. Nevada has an extremely small number of spots for non-residence (6 or 8 or something), though as a NM resident you do qualify. CO- refer to statement of CA schools.

It's UCR that prioritizes a local tie not UCI.

Thanks, lumbricoides.

UT does accept a very small number of OOS applicants now:

Do you accept out of state residents?

Yes. The University of Utah School of Medicine is a state-assisted institution. A minimum of 82% of the available positions are offered to Utah residents and/or non-residents who graduated from a Utah high school, college or university. Eight positions reserved for Idaho residents. The remaining spots are open to out of state residents who obtained their bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States or Canada.

A friend from OOS had some luck with NV last cycle so I figure I might as well give it one more shot.

CO does seem to be accepting an increasing number of OOS applicants. The COA is insanely high - something like $60K/year - but I like the region and think it would be worth it if I fit at the school

Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it.