Re-Applicant Advice and current circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaylorSci91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you thinking about describing this incident as your personal statement or in the section that asks about prior criminal activity?

Are you thinking about describing this incident as your personal statement or in the section that asks about prior criminal activity?

This won't be going in the personal statement, I've tried to keep that focused on the positive experiences I've had that led to my motivation to pursue medicine (ie shadowing in high school, scribing, MPH, and other related work experience). It wouldn't fit under the criminal activity either because it was only an arrest, not a conviction and my record has since been expunged. This really only fits under the disciplinary action section because of the clause "even if the record has been expunged", but in trying to elaborate on this further would it be appropriate to put it under the unique experience essay section? I used that space to talk about it on my last application, not sure if it would be wise to do so again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not try to draw attention to this... don't write anything extra about it. If there's a place to talk about the arrest, then you can put it there, or if you get asked in an interview. Even though you learned a lot, remember you're up against people with spotless records and you don't want to be remembered as the domestic incident guy.

Is this something you HAVE to disclose? I'm not sure either way but I'd definitely look into the specific rules and I'd try my hardest not to disclose this if you aren't obligated to. I would honestly look very negatively on an application with this on it, especially next to the squeaky clean, perfect apps. Good luck to you.

Were you convicted of anything? That's a disciplinary action. An arrest isn't a disciplinary action, it's only the beginning of the process. You should have consulted an attorney before you did that and you should consult one now. Fortunately for you there are several attorneys here, some are pre-meds, some are med students. They'll be along shortly I'm sure.

Most apps ask for arrest records.

Is this something you HAVE to disclose? I'm not sure either way but I'd definitely look into the specific rules and I'd try my hardest not to disclose this if you aren't obligated to. I would honestly look very negatively on an application with this on it, especially next to the squeaky clean, perfect apps. Good luck to you.

Just found this on the TMDAS website:

FELONIES AND MISDEMEANORS
You will indicate whether you are currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, or have you ever received a felony or misdemeanor deferred adjudication.

You need NOT disclose information about any of the following:

• you were arrested but not charged
  • you were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped
  • you were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury
  • you were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, but the conviction was overturned on appeal
  • you received an executive pardon
  • a juvenile or criminal record that has been sealed or expunged. Failure to disclose information that is not in fact expunged or sealed may result in the applicant being denied admission
  • minor traffic violations

Reactions: 1 user
The disciplinary action section appears to geared towards academic/licensure related action i.e. plagiarism or university sanctions.

I actually got a disciplinary action for the arrest and only the arrest...it was a preemptive measure by the school, but in doing so they made a huge mistake. I know I completely regret not consulting an attorney at the time, I was pretty young and foolish and thought that disclosing the story, how I bettered myself and what happened since would reflect better on me as an applicant.

Also, I called my school earlier this week and they informed no such record exists anymore. The only thing that is perpetuating it is that TMDSAS kept a record of my previous application in which I checked yes to the disciplinary action, explained it and talked about my arrest in the unique circumstances essay thinking that section was useful for talking about things that may reflect poorly on me unless I discuss it. Stupid, I know. Not sure what I was thinking at the time.