MD & DO Re-applicant, graduate school experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immoore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I first applied to medical school for the 2014 cycle. I had a 28 MCAT, a 3.5 cGPA, little research experience, basic letters of rec, and a healthcare job where the boss never was around so I didn't get a letter. I applied to CMU, UM, WSU, Toledo, Western, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Oakland, Quinnipiac, and MSU. I was waitlisted at CMU (and ultimately denied).
Since then I worked for a year as a nurse assistant (where I had much more interaction with my boss and had good reviews from patients and staff), and decided to enter a Masters program (thesis based) in Molecular Biology since I wasn't sure what I wanted to go into between medicine and research. I've decided to reapply, but now I have professors who can give me much better letters, a good letter from the hospital, research experience (with a poster presentation), and experience as a TA (where I had good evaluation from students and my boss who also is writing a letter).
I am retaking my MCAT in the new format and am going to apply in the 2016 cycle. I have volunteer experience at my church, had honors from undergrad, and have a much better personal statement (and have matured a lot since the first time applying). I'm applying to every school in MI and some in Ohio and Illinois. Any advice on what else I can do to strengthen my app?

Members don't see this ad.

I first applied to medical school for the 2014 cycle. I had a 28 MCAT, a 3.5 cGPA, little research experience, basic letters of rec, and a healthcare job where the boss never was around so I didn't get a letter. I applied to CMU, UM, WSU, Toledo, Western, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Oakland, Quinnipiac, and MSU. I was waitlisted at CMU (and ultimately denied).
Since then I worked for a year as a nurse assistant (where I had much more interaction with my boss and had good reviews from patients and staff), and decided to enter a Masters program (thesis based) in Molecular Biology since I wasn't sure what I wanted to go into between medicine and research. I've decided to reapply, but now I have professors who can give me much better letters, a good letter from the hospital, research experience (with a poster presentation), and experience as a TA (where I had good evaluation from students and my boss who also is writing a letter).
I am retaking my MCAT in the new format and am going to apply in the 2016 cycle. I have volunteer experience at my church, had honors from undergrad, and have a much better personal statement (and have matured a lot since the first time applying). I'm applying to every school in MI and some in Ohio and Illinois. Any advice on what else I can do to strengthen my app?
Dedicated physician shadowing and a DO LOR would be nice to see. And a Leadership experience would be helpful.

Nail that MCAT.

Shadowing as Dr. Catalystik mentioned.

Be prepared to explain why you went the nurse route, initially.

Keep doing what you've been doing, namely keep collecting research and clinical experiences. And make sure your GPA doesn't fall (if you're not already out of school)