Re-applicant help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've searched the forum and could not find a decent thread about reapplicants but I couldn't find anything. I just wanted to ask if anyone is a re-applicant what did you do the second time around? Can being a re-applicant actually increase or decrease your chances?

Basically I wanted to know what should you do to increase your chances, to get in the second time?
Right now I am working towards my Bachelors
Volunteering at a pharmacy
Next semester I will retake a few of my classes
I will also retake the PCAT in september

What else is there for me to do?

Any feedback is great! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a re-applicant and I just got accepted into the same program that declined me last year. This year's cycle just started, you already given up hope? What is your stat and what schools are you applying to? I'm sure you are already aware of the reasons you got declined for. In my opinion, a second attempt means nothing unless you do something about your weaknesses.

I'm a re-applicant and I just got accepted into the same program that declined me last year. This year's cycle just started, you already given up hope? What is your stat and what schools are you applying to? I'm sure you are already aware of the reasons you got declined for. In my opinion, a second attempt means nothing unless you do something about your weaknesses.

I didn't give up hope for this cycle, I just didn't apply because I think its really hard to improve my stats in just a summer! I am taking this whole year to improve and I will apply again next year.
My stats are a 3.2 sGpa and same for cGpa.
My pcats were really low so that is my main focus to improve on.
Most schools said the reason I was declined was because I got a D+ in one of the science classes during the semester I applied. They said it looks bad, so I will retake that class again next semester and aim for an A!
I just want to know is there anything in specific I can do to really stand out the second time around besides fixing my stats? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the things I learned:

1. PCAT matters. I went from 60 to 80 composite.

2. One of my weaknesses was a lack of EC and experiences. So, in a short summer, I went and shadowed a pharmacist and got a recommendation letter from him.

3. I completed all my per-requisites before applying the second time. I think this part carried a lot of weight because the program I applied to specifically said they will give priority to those who has finished all their required courses.

Other than that, everything else was the same. I even used the same exact personal statement from the previous cycle which should tell you just how important it is..:whistle:

Lastly, understand that some schools are really that much harder to get into. It all depends how competitive they are and will your competitiveness matches theirs.

Oh and one more thing, Pharmcas does not transfer over letters of recommendation from the previous cycle which means you will have to beg your sources again in order to re-apply.

Did you talk the school directly? I know some people in my class sat down with the school and asked what was weak about their application. Helped them know where to focus and then they were able to show their improvements in the next cycle.

Did you talk the school directly? I know some people in my class sat down with the school and asked what was weak about their application. Helped them know where to focus and then they were able to show their improvements in the next cycle.

Is it too late to request setting an appointment now? I applied last cycle.