MD Re-applicant: Looking for input on school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reading! I applied to ~20 schools this cycle and received 2 interviews and now 2 post-interview waitlists. I believe I have identified the issues with my application and have determined them to be relatively easy fixes. Given that, I have decided to reapply this year, but I would like some advice with my school list. I would like to apply to ~30 schools because I don't want to take any chances and I believe I will be able to afford it.

Summary of my application:
  • B.S. in biology, minor in chemistry
  • ~3.8cGPA, ~3.75sGPA
  • 32-34 MCAT
  • California resident
  • 4 years research split up among 3 completely unrelated projects. 1 poster presentation, 1 senior honors thesis, received LOR
  • 150 hours shadowing split between 6 specialties, received LOR
  • 1000+ hours over several years as a caregiver for the elderly
  • 1 semester paid physics tutor
  • Current administrative position part-time for consulting company, can get LOR from company president
  • 100 hours clinical volunteering - large hospital
  • 50+ hours volunteering - community outreach
  • 100+ hours volunteering - TA/tutor for upper division bio class
  • 50+ hours volunteering - tutoring disadvantaged youth
  • Misc: White ORM, not disadvantaged, non-traditional applicant
  • A few hobbies/experiences I can focus on to stand out beyond my grades, MCAT, etc.

School list:

Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Indiana University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
UC Davis School of Medicine
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
UC Irvine School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Keck School of Medicine (USC)
Tufts University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
David Geffen School of Medicine (UCLA)
Mayo Medical School
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
UC San Francisco School of Medicine
UC San Diego School of Medicine

• 30 schools total. According to their average LizzyM scores (pulled from the MSAR), I would say 14 are "safety" schools, 9 are match schools, and 7 are reach schools. Is this too top heavy or have I covered all my bases? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This should work. Are you a re-applicant to 20 of these?

I'm a reapplicant at 10 of these schools:

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a reapplicant at 10 of these schools:

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
You might want to consider reducing the number of CA schools unless there there has been a dramatic improvement in your application (and depending on which side of the parentheses your MCAT is located). Were your interviews in state?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to consider reducing the number of CA schools unless there there has been a dramatic improvement in your application (and depending on which side of the parentheses your MCAT is located). Were your interviews in state?

Both of my interviews were in the Midwest, one public and one private school (both mid-tier). I know my state schools are going to be a long shot but I would really like to stay on the West Coast if possible. My application has improved, but whether that improvement has been significant is pretty subjective. At the very least, I think I would have a decent shot at Davis and Irvine - Davis especially since they're one of the only UCs that has a high IS acceptance rate.

Concur with my learned colleague, especially on the CA schools (USC excluded). I don't think you have much luck with Oregon either. You can replace with Hofstra, for one.

I know Oregon is going to be tough, but I'm determined to stay on the West Coast if at all possible. I originally had Hofstra on my application but after looking at the MSAR they grant an unusually low percentage of OOS interviews/acceptances for being a private school. There are a few public schools (like Arizona) where I statistically stand a better shot at getting in.

Thank you both for your help!

Both of my interviews were in the Midwest, one public and one private school (both mid-tier). I know my state schools are going to be a long shot but I would really like to stay on the West Coast if possible. My application has improved, but whether that improvement has been significant is pretty subjective. At the very least, I think I would have a decent shot at Davis and Irvine - Davis especially since they're one of the only UCs that has a high IS acceptance rate.
Keep UCI and UCD, then. Do you have any ties to the inland empire? OHSU is a nonstarter.

Keep UCI and UCD, then. Do you have any ties to the inland empire?

I have family that lives in the inland empire, but I don't really have a sincere interest in practicing there which is why I have omitted UC Riverside.

OHSU is a nonstarter

I'm not familiar with that term, can you clarify please?

I have family that lives in the inland empire, but I don't really have a sincere interest in practicing there which is why I have omitted UC Riverside.

I'm not familiar with that term, can you clarify please?
Very low yield.

Maybe consider removing Indiana as well unless you have strong ties. They draw about 15% of their class from out of state, so odds aren't super good for OOSers.

Maybe consider removing Indiana as well unless you have strong ties. They draw about 15% of their class from out of state, so odds aren't super good for OOSers.

Coincidentally IU was one of the 2 schools I interviewed at this year.

Coincidentally IU was one of the 2 schools I interviewed at this year.

Ugh, shows how much statistics are worth in this process lol.

15% is pretty good actually, especially for a class so large.

You might want to consider reducing the number of CA schools unless there there has been a dramatic improvement in your application (and depending on which side of the parentheses your MCAT is located).

I'm just shooting ideas around here, but do you think it might be a better idea to drop the more competetive UCs like Geffen and UCSD for a couple public schools in the midwest? I was thinking U of Cincinnati and U of Iowa. Both schools award a similar percentage of interviews (OOS) to UCLA and UCSD (IS), but their average stats are more in line with mine. Plus I would have the benefit of not being a reapplicant at those two schools in particular.

I'm just shooting ideas around here, but do you think it might be a better idea to drop the more competetive UCs like Geffen and UCSD for a couple public schools in the midwest? I was thinking U of Cincinnati and U of Iowa. Both schools award a similar percentage of interviews (OOS) to UCLA and UCSD (IS), but their average stats are more in line with mine. Plus I would have the benefit of not being a reapplicant at those two schools in particular.
That is an excellent idea. It also shows remarkable maturity.

Reactions: 1 user