Re-applicant, what should I do if I don't get in this time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Q&A- mostly Q

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in 2013 with a 30 MCAT (9PS, 10 BS, 11VS), with a 3.43 science GPA and a 3.60 overall. The science GPA is low, but it's an upward trend. I had part time job at a my college, was treasurer for a club, and member of another. I had a total of 100hrs shadowing. I'm interested in the environment so for community service I was part of an eco group. I had research experience one summer (w/o any publications).

I applied to 14 MD schools when I first submitted the primary, then 4 more in late October. Admittedly, about half were reach schools. I applied to 5 DO schools.

I was waitlisted at 1 DO school after an interview, but received no other interview (DO or MD) and was placed on hold at about 3 MD schools.

This application cycle I have added 1 year of volunteering at library, 1 year of working as an ED scribe, and 1 semester of biochemistry ( got an A). I also added a scholarship I received for undergrad, but didn't put into my first application. Currently, I'm also a scribe trainer.

I updated my LORs with of 2 of the current doctors I scribe for. I applied to 29 MD schools and 5 DO schools. So far I've heard back from no schools...should I be worried? I really appreciate any help as I really don't know what to do next/expect!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for answering! I am from California, but I went to school in Massachusetts. So the list is long, but I'm reapplying: to Albany, Drexel, Geisel, Georgetown, Penn State, Quinnipiace, UVM, Tufts, UCSD, UCI, UCR, and Warren Alpert. I realize the UCs, Geisel, Georgetown, Tufts, and Warren Alpert are long shots so I added Cooper, Creighton, Hofstra North Shore, Loyoal University Chicago Stritch SOM, NYMC, Oakland, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Rutgers RWJMS, Sidney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Tulane, Wake Forest, and UMass (b/c I'm currently working in MA).

For DO schools I've applied to Des Moines, Kansas City, MWU Arizona, NYIT, and UNE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that was very encouraging to hear.

What I'm wondering though is if there was anything wrong with my initial application. I know I overshot some schools, but there were some schools that I was in range for. And if this application cycle does not work out either, is there something lacking in it? And how should I improve if I need to apply again?

You had a modest MCAT plus a modest gpa with modest EC's and you applied to a limited number of schools. In a good year you might have had success. The easiest thing to alter is your strategy. By adding schools in your range, you should have a better outcome this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Your critique was really helpful on helping me know where I stand. I'll wait it out this cycle and see what happens (fingers crossed!).

Thank you for answering! I am from California, but I went to school in Massachusetts. So the list is long, but I'm reapplying: to Albany, Drexel, Geisel, Georgetown, Penn State, Quinnipiace, UVM, Tufts, UCSD, UCI, UCR, and Warren Alpert. I realize the UCs, Geisel, Georgetown, Tufts, and Warren Alpert are long shots so I added Cooper, Creighton, Hofstra North Shore, Loyoal University Chicago Stritch SOM, NYMC, Oakland, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Rutgers RWJMS, Sidney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Tulane, Wake Forest, and UMass (b/c I'm currently working in MA).

For DO schools I've applied to Des Moines, Kansas City, MWU Arizona, NYIT, and UNE.

Your EC's being rather weak probably had a fair amount to do with not getting a single MD II last cycle. Modest MCAT, modest GPA(with a sGPA around 0.2 below the norm) and weak EC's is not a good combo.

Fortunately, the EC's are better and much more thorough. But your list is long and there are alot of schools on here that are essentially a waste of an application. If you really are serious about maximizing your chances this time around, there are some adjustments to consider for this list.

Applying to Warren Alpert is the definition of just donating money. Cooper Rowan takes 3/4 OOS; I don't think your stats are high enough to be part of that 20% or so OOS. Your MCAT is too low for Hofstra. Robert Woods essentially doesn't take OOS applicants; that's a complete waste of an application. MA has stringent resident requirements but I've heard from others in the past who technically couldn't meet those criteria being considered IS by UMASS(can't confirm or deny this just have read this more than once on the site). Having said that UMass's median stats are a 3.75/33: you are a long shot there even if they look at you as an IS(and if they don't you are again just donating money). Dartmouth with their 34 median MCAT will be a true hail mary as well.

Apply to G-town, Drexel, Temple, UCSD, and UCI but those are all long shots and/or not high yield options.

Out of your original list: Albany, Penn State, Quinnipac, Vermont, Creighton, Loyola, NYMC, Oakland, Rosalind, Rush, Jefferson, Tulane and Wake Forest make sense. That's 17 schools where you can have a chance at a II. Unfortunately you are a re-applicant at 9 of those schools in addition to Tufts and Vermont which could also be worthwhile applications so that's 11 total reapps. So with all that said, I think it's a smart decision to add more schools.

Western Michigan
Saint Louis
WVU
Medical College Wisconsin
University of Arizona(maybe)
TCMC(from what I've read there are definitely some CA applicants who have had success with this school)
Eastern Virginia
VCU

That is 8 more schools to your list. These aren't going to be the highest yield, but when you are from CA you don't get high yield schools. Considering you are adding Jefferson, Creighton, Loyola, Oakland, Rosalind, Rush, Temple, Tulane, Wake Forest to your list and you won't be a re-applicant at that's now 17 schools that you can have a shot at where you won't be a re-applicant at instead of 9. Those additional 8 schools, even though they are all somewhat long shots, can definitely make a difference. At the very least I would replace some of them with Brown, Robert Woods, Dartmouth, Hofstra and the like where you just aren't competitive or where any logical person can see its flat out foolish to apply to(Robert Woods).

You are fine for any DO school. Add a few more and I think you will be in solid shape.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the input GrapesofRath. I originally didn't apply to UMass, but this is the first year they're accepting out of states for regular MD. I went to undergrad in MA and am currently working in MA so I thought I'd give it a shot. I knew Warren Alpert, Geisel, Tufts, and the UCs are more or less a pipe dream, but I just wanted to be able to know that I tried. I actually did apply to Western Michigan and Saint Louis, too this cycle. I think Medical College of Wisconsin requires psychology, which I didn't take. That leaves 5 more schools I could apply to. Do you think it's too late to add them to my application?

I suggest adding more DO schools where your stats are very competitive such as:
ATSU-SOMA
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
It is better to go all out in this cycle rather than risk going through another application cycle next year.

I think you've done as much as you can. The hardest thing (and I'm totally in the same boat, here) is the waiting game. Keep in mind that it's still early in the interview cycle.

I have a 504 MCAT, cGPA 3.69 and I've received II and acceptance from CUSOM, as well as II from University of Maryland.
I am a re-applicant, a scribe/trainer in the ED as well.
You'll do just fine, just kick but on your essays, hopefully you have some solid LOR!
Fingers crossed:lock:

I have a 504 MCAT, cGPA 3.69 and I've received II and acceptance from CUSOM, as well as II from University of Maryland.
I am a re-applicant, a scribe/trainer in the ED as well.
You'll do just fine, just kick but on your essays, hopefully you have some solid LOR!
Fingers crossed:lock:

Thanks so much. This gives me hope. And congratulations on your acceptance and II-that's great news :)