Re-Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coltsorbroncos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-2015-2016 Cycle: 12 Applications -> 12 Rejections (2 Interviews, 2 Post-ii Rejections)
-Undergraduate BS in Biology 5/2015
-3.91 cGPA
-3.94 sGPA
-29 MCAT (re-taking May 20th)
-Worked in Biology Research Lab at undergraduate for 2.5 years, published author on 1 paper
-Worked as a scribe in a Urology Clinic since 8/2015
-Volunteer at a local abused women's shelter since 10/2015
-Not the best interviewer but I don't think the worst either. Definitely another area for improvement

What do re-applicants need to revise for AMCAS? I know a new PS is necessary, but do we have to re-order transcripts? Can some of our old LORs be re-used?

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa is obviously stellar. An average MCAT score with such a high gpa may indicate poor testing skills or inability to learn the material as opposed to memorizing it before an exam. A great MCAT score will be your saving grace, I think. Use all of your resources when studying this year. I don't see any shadowing listed. That's probably the quickest fix you could make! Absolutely start from scratch with your PS. You'll need your transcripts sent again, yes. I would say try to avoid reusing LORs. I think it's okay to reuse letter writers, but have them edit the letter to include what you've done or gone through in the past year. If also would relay that they have known you for a year longer. I personally think using the same letter writers is fine, if that's what you think is best. If you have a letter that you think is really good and can't get it rewritten, it may be okay to use. Just remember that you don't know what was in your letters. What if one writer gave up some information that came back to bite you? Carrying over information that you can't see could always be tricky. Be honest with your letter writers and see if they're willing to discuss content or go over your pros and cons with you.

Your gpa is obviously stellar. An average MCAT score with such a high gpa may indicate poor testing skills or inability to learn the material as opposed to memorizing it before an exam. A great MCAT score will be your saving grace, I think. Use all of your resources when studying this year. I don't see any shadowing listed. That's probably the quickest fix you could make! Absolutely start from scratch with your PS. You'll need your transcripts sent again, yes. I would say try to avoid reusing LORs. I think it's okay to reuse letter writers, but have them edit the letter to include what you've done or gone through in the past year. If also would relay that they have known you for a year longer. I personally think using the same letter writers is fine, if that's what you think is best. If you have a letter that you think is really good and can't get it rewritten, it may be okay to use. Just remember that you don't know what was in your letters. What if one writer gave up some information that came back to bite you? Carrying over information that you can't see could always be tricky. Be honest with your letter writers and see if they're willing to discuss content or go over your pros and cons with you.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get some new LORs but think my old LORs were pretty good. I had 2 IIs this cycle and was told by interviewers at both schools that I had great LORs. Asking my letter writers to re-write new LORs isn't really an option either considering that they're all from my undergrad and I moved away after I graduated last year and haven't been back/stayed in touch (for the most part). I read on the AAMC website that applicants are only considered re-applicants to the schools that they've already applied to, meaning they're not flagged at re-applicants if they've never applied at that school. Granted, my interpretation may have been a hopeful misinterpretation. Do you have any insight on this?

I believe some schools will specifically ask if you have applied to medical schools before, but generally you are only a reapp at a school you applied to previously. I agree that mcat is your biggest challenge. What about shadowing? What about non clinical volunteering? Your ECS look super focused which can be good but can be a challenge also. They want to see that you explored the world a little. They like to see that you have been challenged in lots of different ways. Not saying these will be huge barriers but things to consider.