Re-apply with 29 MCAT or re-take July and risk late application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only had 1 interview this cycle and was waitlisted. I applied with a 29 MCAT (9PS 8VR 12Bio), 3.76cGPA, and a good amount of scribing, shadowing, patient exposure, and volunteer work. I think my biggest problem was not doing enough research on schools before applying and didn't apply to enough schools that accept my stats. My app also wasn't complete until the very end of August.

I don't expect to hear about the waitlist results until May and want to re-submit my application as soon as AMCAS opens. However, I don't know if I should apply with the 29 again or spend the next two months studying to re-take the MCAT by late June/early July...however, then I run the risk of having a late application for rolling admissions schools...I don't know how confident I am in getting a much higher score, but then again I haven't started studying again yet.

What would lead to most success? Early app with 29 or later app with a possible 30+ score?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say retake if you can study and successfully recognize your weaknesses and set up a good plan (if you need any help or advice let me know). I got a 29 on my mcat (9/11/9) in January and I retook in march because I heard of all the stress fellow applicants with a 28/29 went through and even though I studied really hard again so I did not to have experience that. A 30+ score really raises your chance of acceptance, especially since the new median mcat score is 33.

Reactions: 1 user
You can have your AMCAS verified and have it updated with a new MCAT score. I would submit your AMCAS 1 week prior to your test. That way even if you take it in June you have a good shot at being able to have your secondaries done by mid August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I'll most likely retake in late June IF I feel prepared.

What would happen if one was to take the mcat in the middle of application cycle? Like September? Would the schools all of a sudden see the scores for this even if you didn't mark on Amcas that you plan to retake?

I've only had 1 interview this cycle and was waitlisted. I applied with a 29 MCAT (9PS 8VR 12Bio), 3.76cGPA, and a good amount of scribing, shadowing, patient exposure, and volunteer work. I think my biggest problem was not doing enough research on schools before applying and didn't apply to enough schools that accept my stats. My app also wasn't complete until the very end of August.

I don't expect to hear about the waitlist results until May and want to re-submit my application as soon as AMCAS opens. However, I don't know if I should apply with the 29 again or spend the next two months studying to re-take the MCAT by late June/early July...however, then I run the risk of having a late application for rolling admissions schools...I don't know how confident I am in getting a much higher score, but then again I haven't started studying again yet.

What would lead to most success? Early app with 29 or later app with a possible 30+ score?

Have you thought of DO schools?

I think you should wait. Re-take the MCAT and apply on time. These things need good planning and rushing will simply result in more reapplying.

Did you apply all MD? What's your sGPA?

I suggest applying early to those schools whose median MCAT scores are closest to your own, and followed by a retake. IF you get shut out this cycle, then you have the new and hopefully improved results for next cycle.

Applying late is as good as not applying at all for MD schools, but OK for DO programs, as they have a longer cycle.

I can't believe no one has said this yet but send in a letter of interest to the school, tell them why they are so great and why you want to matriculate. Schools want people who want to be at their school and will be happy.

There's a reason they interviewed you. Good luck!

I can't believe no one has said this yet but send in a letter of interest to the school, tell them why they are so great and why you want to matriculate. Schools want people who want to be at their school and will be happy.

There's a reason they interviewed you. Good luck!
They can see she's holding no acceptances, so a letter in this case has no effect. If she were holding at another (perhaps cheaper) school, a letter might help after May.

I have advice from my personal experience! I applied this past cycle--sent my primary in early July, retook the MCAT (got a 27 the first time... VR:4 PS:12 BS: 11....I know--my verbal score was pretty ridiculous) but my verbal score did not go up as much as I thought it would judging by practice tests, and the result was a 29 (VR 7 PS 12 BS 10). I did not apply to some of the higher tier schools on my list and decided to only submit secondaries to 13 schools (of my original 18), and most went out early-mid October! I was put on hold pre-interview at 5 schools, got one interview, and was rejected (class was full before they were able to review my interview). I personally am applying again this cycle because I am not willing to pay another ~$300 for the MCAT, let alone the ~$2000 for another prep class. I also applied WAY late last cycle and it really really hurt me. So whatever you do, make sure your secondaries are DONE by beginning of September at the latest. If that is doable and you can retake the MCAT and know for sure you can improve the weaker sections, than go for it! If not, I would just apply early honestly. If it helps you feel better, you would not be alone in applying early with a 29 this cycle! :) Also, if you are receptive to the idea, consider throwing in 2-4 DO schools to your application list.

Additionally, my stats etc. are 3.74 cGPA (3.72 sGPA) at one of the top 15 colleges, a (now) 2 year post-college research position, and pretty standard clinical and volunteer experiences. My advisor thinks I have a good chance of acceptance if I apply to about 20 schools, the majority being low tier.

Hope that is helpful, good luck!

I am almost in the same boat at you. I have a 29 on my MCAT (11 PS, 9 V, 9 Bio) with a 3.65 science gpa. I applied very late last cycle, got one interview only and was placed on hold. I submitted my primary application the 2nd day it was open.
The thing is, if you already have an MCAT score, 90% of the schools do not review your primary applications and send out secondarys IMMEDIATELY, as in, like a few hours after your application has been officially processed. The other 10% of the schools, in your case, will also give you their secondary, regardless of any pending MCAT scores BECAUSE you met their threshold for getting a secondary. The few schools that I have talked to that will place your application on hold DO NOT run on a rolling admissions basis. Therefore, if you have your test in late July, get the secondary done by around that time also, both your updated mcat score and secondary app will be ready for final review on granting interview and admission.

Right now I signed up to retake my mcat so I can get a higher score. My top school has an average of 30 and I am assuming this year its going to be closer to a 31/32 so that is my only reasoning behind retaking the test. M
However, because my score was decent last year, my motivation sucks, hence wasting time browsing this site hehe.

anyways, good luck!

I have advice from my personal experience! I applied this past cycle--sent my primary in early July, retook the MCAT (got a 27 the first time... VR:4 PS:12 BS: 11....I know--my verbal score was pretty ridiculous) but my verbal score did not go up as much as I thought it would judging by practice tests, and the result was a 29 (VR 7 PS 12 BS 10). I did not apply to some of the higher tier schools on my list and decided to only submit secondaries to 13 schools (of my original 18), and most went out early-mid October! I was put on hold pre-interview at 5 schools, got one interview, and was rejected (class was full before they were able to review my interview). I personally am applying again this cycle because I am not willing to pay another ~$300 for the MCAT, let alone the ~$2000 for another prep class. I also applied WAY late last cycle and it really really hurt me. So whatever you do, make sure your secondaries are DONE by beginning of September at the latest. If that is doable and you can retake the MCAT and know for sure you can improve the weaker sections, than go for it! If not, I would just apply early honestly. If it helps you feel better, you would not be alone in applying early with a 29 this cycle! :) Also, if you are receptive to the idea, consider throwing in 2-4 DO schools to your application list.

Additionally, my stats etc. are 3.74 cGPA (3.72 sGPA) at one of the top 15 colleges, a (now) 2 year post-college research position, and pretty standard clinical and volunteer experiences. My advisor thinks I have a good chance of acceptance if I apply to about 20 schools, the majority being low tier.

Hope that is helpful, good luck!
If you don't mind me asking, which school did you get an interview to? Was it your state school?

Got interviews to 75% of the schools I applied to with a 29. Apply early, target schools in your range and write some killer essays and you have a shot. (MD and DO. DO may net you more results I didn't go that route).

Got interviews to 75% of the schools I applied to with a 29. Apply early, target schools in your range and write some killer essays and you have a shot. (MD and DO. DO may net you more results I didn't go that route).
Mind posting the MD schools that offered you interviews?:rolleyes:

Also FYI guys, I am a re-applicant with a 29 MCAT (did not retake), I applied early this cycle opposed to my late submission last cycle, and I have already received an interview invite! Hope for the sub 30 MCAT people! Just try and apply early ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Applying early is very, very important. In 2012, one top 20 medical school's avg MCAT of applicants they accepted in October was 32 but in February it was 37.

If you're planning to take the MCAT in the summer and you think there's a good shot you'll improve, you might as well apply next cycle and give yourself as many options as you can. Even if you get in, you can probably get into a better school the next cycle. Don't sell yourself short. Taking a year off is not the end of the world. There is so much you can do!

Last edited: