Re-applying/retaking MCAT - need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.! So I applied for the first time this cycle, however even though it is *only* October, I am not confident in my chances (3 rejections, nothing else) so I am planning ahead of time to ensure that next cycle (if necessary) goes smoothly and successfully!

I applied this cycle with a 29 MCAT and a 3.4ugpa and 3.7SMP GPA, so fairly low chances. I'd like to retake my MCAT if I end up applying next year with the aim of doing significantly better. Since MCAT registration opens up tomorrow (and I live in California where seats disappear out of thin air) I just wanted everyone's opinion on when would be a good time to take the MCAT if I am planning on applying again but also hoping to wait till as late as possible in hopes of interviews/acceptances!

For reference, this cycle due to transcript issues and summer classes, I wasn't verified until mid-Aug and completed at most schools early Sept - early Oct. If I apply again next year, I plan to submit my application the very first day possible since I will not have transcript issues again. However, I can't decide whether it is best for me to take the MCAT in early/mid/late May or whether the end of April or early June is better? I know the dates are relatively close, but I want to be extra cautious and plan well this second time around to avoid being complete late like this cycle.

Yes, I know it is only October, but I just want to plan ahead since next year would be my 3rd gap year. Thank you ahead of time for your feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wondered if schools know you are a reapplicant? Also, if you don't change anything in your application (and just hit submit again a year later), does that hurt you?

I've always wondered if schools know you are a reapplicant? Also, if you don't change anything in your application (and just hit submit again a year later), does that hurt you?

In the AMCAS primary app, you have to answer 'yes' to the reapplicant question. However, I believe that only schools that you are re-applying to will know you are a reapplicant. New schools that you did not apply to in a previous cycle would not necessarily know. Not sure if this is true though across the board.

I think for your second question, it really depends. I had a friend (n=1) who applied again with nothing new to her application except she received a lower MCAT score (from a 34 to a 32), who received 1 interview and was accepted to that institution (even though she was rejected pre-interview to that institution the cycle before). But I think this a huge exception. If you're going to take the time to re-apply, you should improve your application as much as you can. I think the only exception to this would be if you received a ton of interviews then were subsequently rejection, then it wouldn't be due to your stats but more so interviewing skills. Granted, I'm not expert, this is my first cycle! I would post on the allopathic or osteopathic forums to find out more!

Hopefully everything works out this cycle but if not, I would take it in end of April since scores are released ~30 days after. That way you can get your app in as soon as the window opens. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user