Re-entering the work force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who left a university-based clinical psychology Ph.D. program about 5-6 years ago with just an M.S. in clinical psych, and she's wondering what her job options are. She had a baby during her program and left to stay home, and now her kids are older and she's interested in re-entering the job force. Would she have an option to become a therapist (she has 2 years of supervised, CBT-based clinical work from her Master's under her belt), or would her options just be non-clinical like research and consulting? My understanding is that one has to have a certain number of supervised hours in order to work as a therapist after a Master's degree. Is it difficult to find someone to do that with? After that, which licensing exam would she take? Or would have to be go back to school and get an MFT or something like that if she wanted to see clients? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

She'd have to check the licensing requirements for the state that she'd want to work for to see what kind of limited license she would be eligible for given her background. She could also work as a psychometrist somewhere, presumably.

Thanks, do you where she could find those or what search terms to use? Google is not yielding anything that seems applicable. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much temppsych! I clicked on the relevant one (California) and it seems like it's for doctoral level practioners only? Or am I mis-interpreting. Thanks a bunch!