All Branch Topic (ABT) (re)learning sports medicine for active duty patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have worked on the active duty side, how did you improve your sports medicine skills? I have essentials in musculoskeletal care. Any other suggested reading? Videos? Qbanks?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have worked on the active duty side, how did you improve your sports medicine skills? I have essentials in musculoskeletal care. Any other suggested reading? Videos? Qbanks?
Abfm has an app with free fm board questions and you cold choose to just do MSK questions. There are lots of great references.
This website is a free program put together by FIFA and ends in a diploma in football (euro) medicine...not sure what that's worth but it has great learning modules combining reading, imaging, videos reviewing major joint exams. The modules are common injuries by type and joint, some of which are great review for the AD injuries you'll see (stress fractures, knee injuries, etc)
http://f-marc.com/footballdiploma/

This is a great DOD websote, though open access, with great handouts and breakdown of common presenting problems and how to approach their diagnosis when you forget the full joint exam or don't have the time. The websote jas a for the patient section with home PT with video demos and multi step return to activity. It's been a great resource for those who are motivated and don't have time in their schedules for formal PT.
http://hprc-online.org/physical-fitness

Reactions: 1 user
The resources listed above are great. I'll add a few books I got a ton of use out of (more than any other book by a significant margin).

1) Simon's Emergency Orthopedics
-my favorite book. My most used book. Excellent on splinting/bracing instructions for particular fractures.

2) Brukner's Clinical Sports Medicine
-my favorite Sports Med book. Lays it out by body region. Patient has lateral knee pain? Here's what to look for.

3) Malanga's Musculoskeletal Physical Exam
-my favorite MSK physical exam book. To the point...includes sensitivities and specificities.

4) Netters Orthopaedic Anatomy
-great handbook on anatomy. If you can understand anatomy and MOI...you can have a fighting chance to do PCM sports Med without a ton of formal training.

PT Haven. Love the website...has the best free content videos on physical exam that doesn't use YouTube (which is often banned on military computers).

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever used the physical therapy case files books? If so are they helpful for sports med or are they to basic for a physician?