re: masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I would like some insight on how to recover from the situation I am currently in. briefly, my current overall gpa is 2.69. I still have about three semesters to go until I graduate with a BA in Sociology (about 20-35 credits remaining). what path should I take to increase my chance of attending medical school here in the US? I am looking into a masters program and maybe retaking the few classes I didn't do well in. however, I would like to know what masters program is suitable for me to show the admissions committee that I am fit for medical school? i.e. one with concentration in science or one related to sociology?

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

A masters program in sociology would do nothing to show adcoms that you are a fit for medical school...

Did you take the pre-med pre-reqs?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
masters in scinece

Depending on how your pre-req science grades are, you should consider a post-bac program as grade replacement for DO schools. It will be an uphill battle with less than a 3.0

Reactions: 1 user
Delay graduation or do a post-bacc for grade replacement with DO as your target. Unless you are URM and have an otherwise top notch application (stellar MCAT & EC's plus a great explanation of your grades), I don't think you'll even have the slightest shot at MD programs. Even if you were URM, you are generally far below an acceptable gpa range. Similarly, I don't think any SMP program will really want to touch you with a yardstick since you haven't proven that you are capable of handling undergrad classes, much less medical school level classes - and they don't want to damage their med school acceptance rates from their programs.

Honestly, I think DO is your only possible shot. A year (or two), of grade replacements to A's will show you've turned over a new leaf and can succeed, although honestly I'm not too sure how capable you are of doing this seeing as it seems you haven't been able to reach a mediocre level of academic success despite almost finishing your UG degree...

I don't mean to be harsh, but that's my honest reaction/assessment of your situation.

UnderRepresented in Medicine
i.e. hispanics, blacks, SES disadvantaged people