re-take ChemII this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lopers12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello...
I'm taking Gen ChemII this semester and things are not going to good. I'm having a C+ in there right now, and hoping to pull it up to a B ( my final will replace one of the lowest exam). But I feels that I should re-take it now matter what since I'm not too good with it. I'm feeling very awful right now, and thinking to re-take it this summer. I really want to be good at chem because i think it will be alot more easy for me when i get to the upper level of chemistry. And I know this will lower my GPA (3.86) really bad. :xf: Does this also place a bad mark on my application to pharmacy school?? Please, any advice will help. I dn't know what to do. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello...
I'm taking Gen ChemII this semester and things are not going to good. I'm having a C+ in there right now, and hoping to pull it up to a B ( my final will replace one of the lowers exam). But I feels that I should re-take it now matter what. I'm feeling very awful right now, and thinking to re-take it this summer. I really want to be good at chem because i think it will be alot more easy for me when i get to the upper level of chemistry. And I know this will lower my GPA (3.86) really bad. :xf: Does this will be a bad mark on my application? Please, any advice will help. I dn't know what to do. :(

One C will not break you so don't worry about retaking the course; however, you should try to bring your grade up by doing well on that final exam. If you're struggling in GChem, then you might not do well in OChem and Biochem. So try to get the basic fundamentals down because you will need it in later on.

I'm torn on the necessity of retaking it. You're at a 3.86 you say? That's on the high end for most pharmacy school applicants even if it goes down a little bit. You can retake it if you want, but it may not be worth it with such a high gpa. In addition, you can make up for it by doing well in your others prerequisites, especially orgo 1&2. At least you're not in my boat. Im two weeks away from finals and I have a C in Calculus II right now. My gpa is certainly not 3.86.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm torn on the necessity of retaking it. You're at a 3.86 you say? That's on the high end for most pharmacy school applicants even if it goes down a little bit. You can retake it if you want, but it may not be worth it with such a high gpa. In addition, you can make up for it by doing well in your others prerequisites, especially orgo 1&2. At least you're not in my boat. Im two weeks away from finals and I have a C in Calculus II right now. My gpa is certainly not 3.86.

I feel for you! I took Calculus II my sophomore year and was in the same boat. I enjoyed the class though. Good luck with your finals!

I feel for you! I took Calculus II my sophomore year and was in the same boat. I enjoyed the class though. Good luck with your finals!
Yeah. It's my hardest class. My other classes are just fine but this is the one dragging me down. Thanks. We'll see what's going to happen.

ok, from my calculation, it will drag me down between 3.4-3.5 GPA. One really bad semester :-( . by the way, this is my 1st year of pre-pharm, and hope I can full it up. thanks everyone

Oh, man. you guys really make me nervous. Math and I don't get along too good. I had Cal I in 2005 and I will re-take it next year. Cal I was tough when I took it..and now we're talking about Cal II? I think I better start study ahead. Good luck everyone with finals.

Oh, man. you guys really make me nervous. Math and I don't get along too good. I had Cal I in 2005 and I will re-take it next year. Cal I was tough when I took it..and now we're talking about Cal II? I think I better start study ahead. Good luck everyone with finals.

Thanks. Yeah, calculus I is pie compared to the second semester. If you go beyond that, it's easier. Math and I don't always get along either. I usually have success in it because I memorize how to do something:rolleyes:

Okay, so yeah. I guess it will hurt your gpa. You must look for good in this though. Otherwise you won't be helping yourself at all by stressing over it. Ask yourself, "What can I gain from this? Well, I've learned more about what does and does not work for me when it comes to study habits, course load, etc..More good news? I'm still between a 3.0-4.0 gpa."
Take it from someone who stressed nearly all semester long over performance. You do better when you remain calm over the matter.
One thing to keep in mind is that a number of pharmacy schools take every attempt at a class into account. So, depending on where you limit your application to, would it be worth your time to retake the course?

it may hurt your gpa now... but its still a really good gpa. and if its just your first year you will have a ton of time to bring it up! ^__^

hello...
I'm taking Gen ChemII this semester and things are not going to good. I'm having a C+ in there right now, and hoping to pull it up to a B ( my final will replace one of the lowest exam). But I feels that I should re-take it now matter what since I'm not too good with it. I'm feeling very awful right now, and thinking to re-take it this summer. I really want to be good at chem because i think it will be alot more easy for me when i get to the upper level of chemistry. And I know this will lower my GPA (3.86) really bad. :xf: Does this also place a bad mark on my application to pharmacy school?? Please, any advice will help. I dn't know what to do. :(

No, do not retake it. It's a waste of time and money. Plus, it doesn't help your GPA unless you're applying to schools that only consider your highest grade. Plenty of people (including me) that had a C in Gen Chem II have been accepted to pharmacy school. Don't sweat it. Move on and do well in your upper level science classes.