Re-Use of Burs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Accordion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general rule for when a bur needs replaced? Is this more of a personal thing or is there literature about this?

Members don't see this ad.

More personal, it's about how you feel the bur.

Once it's burned and doesn't cut as well, you should either throw it out or use it to refine your prep (like I do haha!)

The reason it isn't great to use a burned bur (not sure if that's how they're called but whatever) is that they will cause tons of friction/heat (when used to cut; for refining they are great because they give the prep a polished look), which negatively affects the pulp

Reactions: 1 user
I change mine when they start burning the tooth. I also change out 1-2 days before a practical, I don't want too sharp so they cut like butter, but not too dull that they leave burn marks. But it is a personal preference.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go OSU, beat Nebraska ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Go OSU, beat Nebraska ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is there a dislike button...LOL. I may go to tOSU, but I'm Husker born, Husker bred, and when I die I'll be Husker dead!

I nearly always use a fresh bur. Yeah, it costs more money, but I get way more predictable results with them. Old burs (not burned) for refining.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

What is the general rule for when a bur needs replaced? Is this more of a personal thing or is there literature about this?
If I feel it isnt cutting as nicely as it used to I replace it. You can tell when its dull and in need of replacing when you find things are taking a little longer than usual and progress feels slow. In real practice with real patients Im gonna use new burrs for each patient.

From everyone's experience, on average how long before a bur becomes burned?
In the SIM lab probably every 2-3 days.