Re-write my MCAT?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello123456789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wrote my MCAT last year in September (2014). I scored a 33 ( 14 BS, 11 PS, 8 VR). I understand that my verbal reasoning score is not very good, and that I may have to write the new 2015 MCAT just to increase that score/ obtain a more balanced MCAT score. My GPA in my school is 3.98, but when converted for AMCAS applications, my GPA will most likely be around 3.95. I have completed my third year, and will enter my 4th year in September.

Is it worth re-writing the MCAT again?

Members don't see this ad.

You mean retaking? And from what I've seen, an 8 in the VS isn't a killer but may be looked down upon because of how uneven the score is. Your GPA is amazing so I wouldn't, in my pre-med opinion, retake it.

For what it is worth, I have been told by different admissions offices that "The biggest indicator of med school success is the BS score. We go by the BS score not the VS. We recognize there is often some form of test-taking anxiety and one section score may drop."

Do what you feel is best.
Emory and a few other schools use the verbal section as a screening tool. Emory has a minimum of a 7 on the VS to be sent a secondary.

You have a solid score. Your VR score will make it tougher to get into the more competitive MD schools for sure, but you have a good chance at several schools. Imbalance is never good on the MCAT but your lowest score is still ~ average for the country (on the old test). CARS is the least changed section of the new MCAT so if you decide to retake, you'll want to ensure you examine what about your study methods and approach to the exam allowed you to do so well on the sciences, but not so well on the VR. Many of my students loathe studying CARS/VR because one cannot simply cram and expect to do better. You must pore over your results, analyze your thinking to make sure it is in line with what the AAMC is after in CARS.

Speak with your adviser but I would say, based on my experience, you have a decent shot at most DO schools and a good number of the MD schools. Good luck!