Reach School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollSkins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am filling out my AMCAS application and have been looking at what schools to apply to. I have figured out what schools I want to apply to in my range and my 'saftey' schools but I also want to include one reach school and I am not quite sure what a good one would be. So some imput would be helpful.

My Stats

GPA 3.7
BCPM 3.77
MCAT - I am taking it on June 15. My practice tests have been between 30 and 33 so lets just assume I get a 30 or 31 for arguments sake.
Extras - Pretty much your usual. Lots of shadowing, plenty of volunteer, etc etc although I don't have any research experience which I realize may hurt me for some of the top tier schools.
Residency - Alabama

So basically I would like to stay in the south so I was thinking UNC or Duke but I feel like they are both pretty out of my range. I also really like Vandy but I am pretty sure that is out of my range. Anyway thats where I stand and any imput is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I think UNC, Vanderbilt, or maybe even Emory might be good reach schools for you (median MCAT= 33, 35, and 35). Duke is pretty hardcore (median MCAT=36), and I think you might have a tough time their with a 30 or 31 MCAT, even though your GPA is close to their average (3.8+). If you have the money/energy, I'd apply to all 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I think I am going to go with UNC and Vandy, maybe Emory but I hate Atlanta so don't think that I would realisitically go there even if I got in.

i guess by definition a reach school is a dream but i have to say no to vandy and baylor especially if you are out of state, as laudable a score a 31 is, i don't think a 31 will get you an interview at any of these...especially at baylor. i don't think you'd really get one at duke either. and unless you are from NC, i don't see how you'd have a better chance at UNC.
i don't know about you but when i reach i try to make sure i can atleast get my fingertips on it so i would recommend NYU, Emory, Rochester, Case, and Mayo if you have solid life experiences and ECs. that's just me though.

i guess by definition a reach school is a dream but i have to say no to vandy and baylor especially if you are out of state, as laudable a score a 31 is, i don't think a 31 will get you an interview at any of these...especially at baylor. i don't think you'd really get one at duke either. and unless you are from NC, i don't see how you'd have a better chance at UNC.
i don't know about you but when i reach i try to make sure i can atleast get my fingertips on it so i would recommend NYU, Emory, Rochester, Case, and Mayo if you have solid life experiences and ECs. that's just me though.

having a 30/31 mcat will not shut you out from interviews at top schools if you have a strong application otherwise...you might still get interviews, but your application in its entirety is looked over one last time post-interview, and your mcat score could cause you to be waitlisted...so apply broadly (i know, beating a dead horse) but don't think you have no shot at the top schools...

Rochester is not a reach school, i'd say your pretty much guarenteed an interview there..(i go to the school/know a dece amount about their admissions). Make sure your ECs are strong..make sure there is some form of extended clinical experieince (hospice care if you can get it looks nice..) Get a letter of rec from one of your clinical interactions as well..because all of your other letters will be talking aboutyour academic potential, your performance and your capability to grow and adapt.. You don't have any letters that say "hey this guy is very patient and sociable with people, patients love him" That counts for alot. Try to get them from either the head nurse or head doctor of whatever activity you were doing. Ask them to emphasize on your your social qualities, sit down and talk to them if you havent interacted all that much. You add that final portion to the mix, I'd say with your stats, you'll have quite a few interviews.

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah I kind of figured that I might not get interviews or even secondaries for that matter but that is what you apply to reach schools for right? To push the limits of where your application will take you. Anyway I definetly think that the letter of rec from someone who can empasize your social qualities is right on and I actually have one of those letters from a doctor I spent alot of time shadowing so hopefully that will help me out and every thing else will work out. There is really so much chance involved I don't think that anyone can say anthing for sure about what will happen.

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah I kind of figured that I might not get interviews or even secondaries for that matter but that is what you apply to reach schools for right? To push the limits of where your application will take you. Anyway I definetly think that the letter of rec from someone who can empasize your social qualities is right on and I actually have one of those letters from a doctor I spent alot of time shadowing so hopefully that will help me out and every thing else will work out. There is really so much chance involved I don't think that anyone can say anthing for sure about what will happen.

I haven't posted in the pre-allo forum in a while, but after reading your post I felt compelled to do so.

My $0.02 would be to not get "the cart before the horse". In other words, don't bank on making a 30, or 31 MCAT and only apply to the schools you mentioned because you may be disappointed. I do have some experience with this...I took the Kaplan prep course and was regularly scoring between 29 and 31 on my tests. Imagine my shock when my score report came back with a 24 on it. In the end, it took an entire summer of dedicated studying to reach the humble score of 27.

I'm not saying you won't make a great MCT...just that perspective changes with experience. Some of the schools where you feel confident you could get in now may become "reach" schools for you depending on your MCAT. From what I understand, UAB has averages in the 31, 32 range. That's pretty high for a state school (of course they have a great program).

By the way, why do you hate the Atl?

MCAT - I am taking it on June 15. My practice tests have been between 30 and 33 so lets just assume I get a 30 or 31 for arguments sake.

Well, based on conventional wisdom most people tend to score within 3 points above or below the average of their most recent full length practice tests, so I don't think you can bank on a 30+ until you take it. Lots of people lose a point or two just because of the stress of the real thing, while others thrive. Choking is not unheard of.

Also bear in mind that a balanced 30 and an unbalanced 30 are very different things so the pure number doesn't even tell us enough -- ie a 13,13, 4 is a 30 but is probably not enough for any allo med school. Once you know where you stand you can realistically pick schools, not before. Ask again then.

man, i was stupid and didn't read that you wanna stay in the south, my bad. also, i'm sorry to insinuate you won't get interviews, just that the likelihood of landing interviews is very slim at the above schools. vandy especially i would recommend against, it likes numbers and an interview/waitlist means a little less there as they interview a buttload from my personal experience. baylor, i know that if you are out of state they love stats and accept mostly in state anyway. and for those that said rochester isn't a reach i would say considering the randomness of this process a school where your stats are average can be considered a reach too , there really are very few if any guaranteed admissions. i guess i'm just too cautious and don't like really spending money on schools that i feel are completely out of my range and won't give me the time of day ...i only did one complete reach and it didn't work but atleast i didn't even have to pay for the interview travel expenses, it only cost 40 + 50= 90 dollars. but, if you've got the balls and funds, go for it. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

and unless you are from NC, i don't see how you'd have a better chance at UNC.

I agree..I read, I think on the UNC site, that they only take 20 OOS applicants a year

If you're looking for a reach school and Duke is on the list of schools you'd be interested in, for goodness sakes just apply! That's exactly what a reach is. Besides, there are people in my class who got low 30s on their MCAT (one of my friends got a 31, with a 7 in verbal...and he's Caucasian). Hell, I got a 33 and they let me in. Don't sell yourself short. Apply to anywhere and everywhere you want...in the end, it'll probably be worth whatever money you spent on a few extra secondaries or interview trips.