Reaction rate and the equilibrium rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Levi0sa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
the equilibrium rate involves the constant, K, such as the eq constant = [products]/[reactants]
How does that k relate to Gibbs free energy? Do you simply plug it into the equation -RTlnK? I'm just very confused because my Ochem book says -RTlnK= -2.303RTlogK and I'm not sure where they got this constant -2.303...

Also, does the above k relate at all to the rate constant k where the rate of a reaction = k[product1][product2] .... Or is k just a standard variable to denote constants..

Thanks for help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry this is going to sound harsh, but when did we turn into your chemistry tutor?
This is a forum to inquire about health professional career choices, or asking questions about the application process.

Edit: to turn this into a positive to those who are looking into optometry, I havent done a problem like this since second year of undergrad...which has been a while

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well .......I guess you never turned Into my chemistry tutor since you didn't really answer my inquiry.

I am interested In optometry and am currently interning at an optometrist facility ..... recently joined SDN because I have seen great answers to undergrad pre-health questions on here before.

Members don't see this ad :)
The constant is to correct for the fact that log and ln are not the same thing. Log is base-10, ln is base-e.

Reactions: 1 user
the equilibrium rate involves the constant, K, such as the eq constant = [products]/[reactants]
How does that k relate to Gibbs free energy? Do you simply plug it into the equation -RTlnK? I'm just very confused because my Ochem book says -RTlnK= -2.303RTlogK and I'm not sure where they got this constant -2.303...

Also, does the above k relate at all to the rate constant k where the rate of a reaction = k[product1][product2] .... Or is k just a standard variable to denote constants..

Thanks for help!
[stock SDN advice]
Go with the school that'll cost you less in the long run. It's all the same degrees in the end. Why pay an extra $30,000 when both produce the same eye doctor OD degree?
[/stock SDN advice]

Reactions: 1 user