Reading here has me worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here is my situation. I have approximately a 3.4 cum gpa, but plan on retaking my prereqs and applying DO. this will put me back to a 3.8 approx. i haven't taken the mcat but i am concerned with me ECs.

the problem is I work nights 5pm-5am driving a semi for a freight company. with classes during the day i have little time for a full (or even a part time) schedule. I am currently working on getting a CNA job working saturday nights. I will do this for approximately 2 years before i apply. I also have 3 kids to support.

My concern is i see all these other students with research, volunteering, shadowing, etc. I simply don't have time for this. I did shadow a doctor who was on the admissions committee at DMU (I am a des moines resident) and would ideally go there. He mentioned he would give me a great LOR but I have kind of lost touch with him a little bit and don't have time to shadow him again. Maybe i should make time.

i wanted to hear other people's opinions on how i should proceed. I can't really cut my full time job hours down. it's just the nature of the business. should i try to make time even if it means i am less aggressive with taking classes (only taking 1 or 2 instead of 2 or 3) or should i be happy with what i have? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Alot of people that gets into medschool dont go on this site. We that goes on here represent a minority of the student that will attend medical school. I wouldnt take the stats thrown out on SDN seriously.

I myself have average stats and a bad MCAT score. If i listened to some of these people (on SDN)'s advice I wouldnt apply and never have gotten accepted to medical school.

The point is we arent experts we just assume this is what its needed to get in!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Here is my situation. I have approximately a 3.4 cum gpa, but plan on retaking my prereqs and applying DO. this will put me back to a 3.8 approx. i haven't taken the mcat but i am concerned with me ECs.

the problem is I work nights 5pm-5am driving a semi for a freight company. with classes during the day i have little time for a full (or even a part time) schedule. I am currently working on getting a CNA job working saturday nights. I will do this for approximately 2 years before i apply. I also have 3 kids to support.

My concern is i see all these other students with research, volunteering, shadowing, etc. I simply don't have time for this. I did shadow a doctor who was on the admissions committee at DMU (I am a des moines resident) and would ideally go there. He mentioned he would give me a great LOR but I have kind of lost touch with him a little bit and don't have time to shadow him again. Maybe i should make time.

i wanted to hear other people's opinions on how i should proceed. I can't really cut my full time job hours down. it's just the nature of the business. should i try to make time even if it means i am less aggressive with taking classes (only taking 1 or 2 instead of 2 or 3) or should i be happy with what i have? Thanks.

I don't think you will have a problem with your GPA, and since you are applying DO, research is not really necessary.

But yes, in response to your question, you should make time.

Reactions: 1 user
Like you mentioned OP, I would make time to shadow the guy who said he would write you a rec again, especially since a lot of DO schools require physician letters.

I'd bet that an adcom will understand your situation to a degree, but you still need to be able to explain your interesting in medicine, and it would be tough to do that with very little exposure to the field.

You dont need a 3.8 unless you think that your MCAT is going to be much lower than the average for DO schools (25.3). Perhaps you might be confusing some DO stats with MD school stats if you are shooting real hard for a 3.8?

If I were you, all I would do is take 3 months to study real hard for the MCAT and hopefully get above a 25.

For some realistic goals, suggesting you may not need to retake as many courses as you'd planned:

Des Moines University
Class of 2011 Profile:
Average Age: 25
Average GPA (cumulative): 3.64
Average GPA (science): 3.59
Average MCAT: 26.63, O
(source: http://www.dmu.edu/com/do/class_profile/ )

You've got some shadowing. You plan to work as a CNA. The only essential EC you'd be lacking is community service. Surely you can fit in a voluteer gig for 3-4 hours per month. Do you have a kid in scouts? Are you required to give some time to the day care you baby stays at? Any altuistic activity will count toward that expectation. What about activities from the pre-kid years?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. To answer some questions I have 5 Cs on my transcripts. Countless As and Bs. The problem is my 5 Cs were in Bio II, Physics I and II, and Chem I and II. I took them all in one year and didn't have my priorities straight, and I don't have the flexibility to take a few upper level science classes.

The doctor I shadowed was a DO plastic surgeon and I am sure I could shadow him once a month for a year.

I also have a little bit of volunteer time, but nothing recent. I suppose I can make the time.

My concern isn't really my stats when applying. I am a non trad with a record of changing my mind and I have college classs to prove it. I have 152 credits and no degree. I just don't want a reason to not have a chance. Thanks for the support and the responses. It is appreciated.

Thanks for the responses. To answer some questions I have 5 Cs on my transcripts. Countless As and Bs. The problem is my 5 Cs were in Bio II, Physics I and II, and Chem I and II. I took them all in one year and didn't have my priorities straight, and I don't have the flexibility to take a few upper level science classes. This was also about 2 years ago.

The doctor I shadowed was a DO plastic surgeon and I am sure I could shadow him once a month for a year.

I also have a little bit of volunteer time, but nothing recent. I suppose I can make the time.

My concern isn't really my stats when applying. I am a non trad with a record of changing my mind and I have college classs to prove it. I have 152 credits and no degree. I just don't want a reason to not have a chance. Thanks for the support and the responses. It is appreciated.

I have 5 Cs on my transcripts. Countless As and Bs. The problem is my 5 Cs were in Bio II, Physics I and II, and Chem I and II.
I appreciate the problem. I believe you will need to retake athem all as DO schools want to see a C+ or better in the prerequisites. If you replace those Cs with As getting a 3.8 AACOMAS GPA as you project, you will be very competitive at the more-selective DO schools. DMU would love you.

I don't have any great advice, but I just wanted to say way to go.

My dad has been a truck driver for ~30 years, I can definitely appreciate the kind of schedule you are dealing with. I am impressed! Plus you have three kids. I have enough trouble scheduling time around my office job.

Here's another good story if you need some motivation. Dr. Richard Boyd - 42 when he matriculated, father of 6, former truck driver who is now a resident.
http://richardaboyd.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-09-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2008-10-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=2