Reading Material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vballer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a low-key internship year and have already matched to my derm residency. I'm finding that I do a lot of sitting around waiting for sign-out in the afternoons. I would hate to come off as an over ambitious dermie but any current residents/attendings with suggestions on some light reading to do while I'm stuck in the hospital to start wetting my feet for next year? Maybe some bolognia? Random Uptodate articles? Or should I just find a call room and nap

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to maximize your free time, you should read and re-read chapter 133 of Bolognia. This way you can become the only feverfewologist in the entire department and when all your attendings are stumped on a tough case you can inform the dummies that a little sprinkle of garlic-laced marigold will dry that pesky pyoderma right up.

I'm at a low-key internship year and have already matched to my derm residency. I'm finding that I do a lot of sitting around waiting for sign-out in the afternoons. I would hate to come off as an over ambitious dermie but any current residents/attendings with suggestions on some light reading to do while I'm stuck in the hospital to start wetting my feet for next year? Maybe some bolognia? Random Uptodate articles? Or should I just find a call room and nap

You'll be doing plenty of reading as a resident. It never hurts to read more (Bolognia would be my suggestion) but at the same time, I don't think it helps as much as you would think. I'd opt for the call room nap :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked Habif's book as a quick but practical overview of the common dermatologic diseases. Good photos too. Can read it in a month of diligent reading, or a few months of very casual reading. Andrews is tempting because it is short but it is wayyy too detailed and "stream of consciousness" styled writing; save this for the latter half of residency. Bolognia is too big to read during internship and you will be reading this throughout residency anyway. Habif provides a broad overview with practical information, so this would be my vote (FWIW).

Lookingbill and Marks is a good place to start.
This book (Lookingbill and Marks) was recommended during my Derm rotation but I personally found this book only marginally helpful, at best. Derm Secrets actually was more useful to me for med school rotations, since most of the pimping questions can be found in its pages. But different strokes for different folks...

I was also assuming that the original poster had already read a basic Derm intro book.

L&M is what my program reads in the month or two leading up to PGY-2.

Good review and good way to shift gears into Derm.

I feel it's too difficult to learn and retain something like Bolognia without being immersed in Derm. But up to you, OP.

L&M is what my program reads in the month or two leading up to PGY-2.

Good review and good way to shift gears into Derm.

I feel it's too difficult to learn and retain something like Bolognia without being immersed in Derm. But up to you, OP.

Agree with this. In the last couple years, it seems apparent that when first year Derm residents come in, the overall dermatology knowledge is rusty enough that just skimming through L&M over the course of a couple days would have been very helpful for them. I was in the same position when finishing intern year.

The Jain book is another good option to skip through during intern year when you see interesting derm cases during your medicine/ICU/outpatient mouths. It also has good basic + advanced info on bread and butter topics

What's a good intro dermpath book for an MS4 elective?

No one will expect you to know any derm path besides maybe what a basal cell would look like. I wouldn't waste ur time.

Reactions: 1 user