Reading novels/journals to improve Verbal/BS score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcattaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking at old threads, I see that people don't really think that reading journals will do much to improve your Verbal or BS score. Is this true?

How about novels? Or maybe online journals of some sort. Would this improve, or at least get you in the habit of reading through MCAT passages for the Verbal section? Please suggest any good novels/journals...I actually like to read, I'm just having trouble finding something that I'd be interested in + would improve my score.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have some spare time, I think it wont hurt you to do some reading on the side. Ive been reading some really dry material, like science magazine and really old literature, and this has really helped my verbal.

can anyone suggest any good convoluted literature?
I'm not talking about sophisticated reads (economist, etc). I mean messed up hard to understand you wouldn't buy this in a million years.....unless you were studying for the MCAT type literature. Just want to practice not losing my cool when I attempt to read something that wasn't meant to be read by a human.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone suggest any good convoluted literature?
I'm not talking about sophisticated reads (economist, etc). I mean messed up hard to understand you wouldn't buy this in a million years.....unless you were studying for the MCAT type literature. Just want to practice not losing my cool when I attempt to read something that wasn't meant to be read by a human.

thanks

Ha! Try some Aristotle or Plato...pretty convoluted and difficult to understand.

Reading is helpful, but only when you're far away from your test date. If you're within 3 months, it's better to take practice passages. That said, if you're not close to your test date, I wouldn't inundate yourself with reading material. Just read an article everyday or every couples days. Nothing major. Here are the sources I suggest you check out if you have the time:

New Yorker
Economist
Wall Street Journal
Random science journals

Also pick up this book for humanities reading (which is often a weakness):

http://www.amazon.com/Issues-Global-Perspective-Christine-Koggel/dp/1551111861

Get a used copy to save yourself some money. Make sure you read the boring articles as well. Chances are good that the MCAT passages you take won't be exciting material.

After you read an article, write down the main idea and the author's opinion.

You might also want to take 1 or 2 verbal practice passages timed so you can get a feel for MCAT style questions. Again, ONLY take 1 or 2 passages. This will enable you to think up some MCATish questions yourself when you're done reading an article.

When you think up some questions, pretend you're the author. How would you try to trick people into picking the wrong answer?