Real MCAT = 10000 times harder than AAMCs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fas376

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is how I felt throughout my exam.

6a4d386f_I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Yea and sucks is the curve might be on a easier past exam... So we're double effed. You think they'd least give us break being early testers in the mist of finals g'dammit

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. One girl was crying during the break after VR. I was walking confidently from the bathroom, but I was actually crying in the inside too. Definitely x100000000000000 way harder than the AAMCS.

The PS really got me today. It screwed my brain so hard that I became disoriented and forgot how to get back from the bathroom to the test center. It also continued to echo itself in my mind halfway through VR. Holy smoke man !

The PS really got me today. It screwed my brain so hard that I became disoriented and forgot how to get back from the bathroom to the test center. It also continued to echo itself in my mind halfway through VR. Holy smoke man !

I find it funny how the keys to the bathroom were connected to like a wooden stick lol. It was so annoying carrying that thing around. They should've just kept that bathroom open the whole time.

do you people have ghetto test centers? lol. I guess i was lucky when i did it, the bathroom was inside right by the mcat the computers.

do you people have ghetto test centers? lol. I guess i was lucky when i did it, the bathroom was inside right by the mcat the computers.

I actually liked how the bathrooms were separate from the testing rooms. I don't want to constantly hear miniscule sounds of flushing toilets and waters running through my earplugs. And the walk to the bathroom and back is a great way to have the break. Forces me to stretch and walk it out.

I actually liked how the bathrooms were separate from the testing rooms. I don't want to constantly hear miniscule sounds of flushing toilets and waters running through my earplugs. And the walk to the bathroom and back is a great way to have the break. Forces me to stretch and walk it out.

Agree. And the staff was super nice too. No attitude at all.

Agreed with almost everything said here. I wasn't physically broken down after VR, but holy **** mentally I was like DID I JUST GET A 8 AND A 7 WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HOLY ****.

Calmed down for WS, because it's the WS. Literally LOL'd before going in.

Then BS hit, and I was like **** yo.

Members don't see this ad :)
The most recent AAMCs (9, 10, and 11) are the same difficulty as the real MCAT. The question style and formatting are exactly the same. Some people even say the verbal is longer on the real thing, but they are not (just larger font to help people read).

The only reason it seems difficult is because of the added stress factor. If you get an answer wrong on the AAMC, you are told so on the score report. You can go back and review, and you can also rationalize a bit (oh, I wasn't paying attention; I would've gotten that right, etc.). The real thing matters, that's what makes it harder; plus there's the added factor of fear of the unknown (i.e. what the curve will be, how do I know if I am getting this right, etc.).

Finally, I assume most people take their AAMCs by themselves in a quiet room? Well the practice of taking it in a room with a bunch of other people taking the same thing may also add to your anxiety.

The most recent AAMCs (9, 10, and 11) are the same difficulty as the real MCAT. The question style and formatting are exactly the same. Some people even say the verbal is longer on the real thing, but they are not (just larger font to help people read).

The only reason it seems difficult is because of the added stress factor. If you get an answer wrong on the AAMC, you are told so on the score report. You can go back and review, and you can also rationalize a bit (oh, I wasn't paying attention; I would've gotten that right, etc.). The real thing matters, that's what makes it harder; plus there's the added factor of fear of the unknown (i.e. what the curve will be, how do I know if I am getting this right, etc.).

Finally, I assume most people take their AAMCs by themselves in a quiet room? Well the practice of taking it in a room with a bunch of other people taking the same thing may also add to your anxiety.

:thumbup:

Thank you, this is very well put, and I agree with this completely.

I disagree. The discretes that showed up on our BS yesterday were totally out of left field and nothing like those in 9,10, or 11. I felt very confident going in yesterday (my average for 9, 10 11 was 39) and felt like crap coming out. The orgo on 11 is so easy it's a joke. The PS on 9 and 10 is super light on calculations and only 11 approximated what we saw yesterday.

I disagree. The discretes that showed up on our BS yesterday were totally out of left field and nothing like those in 9,10, or 11.

Really? You knew what a vole was? :laugh:

I think there's a bit of insane discretes on every test, but some of yesterday's were a bit gnarly.

I disagree. The discretes that showed up on our BS yesterday were totally out of left field and nothing like those in 9,10, or 11. I felt very confident going in yesterday (my average for 9, 10 11 was 39) and felt like crap coming out. The orgo on 11 is so easy it's a joke. The PS on 9 and 10 is super light on calculations and only 11 approximated what we saw yesterday.

Well the perception of increased difficulty is dependent on an individual's mastery in each sub-topic. If I am familiar with lac operons, but not with immune responses, and if the exam had many questions on immune responses, I would think that the test was difficult. It's hard to objectively compare how difficult a real test was compared to the AAMC ones unless the same topics (immune response vs immune response) show up.

Similarly, some students may be good with calculation-intensive questions, while others may be not. To say that calculation-intensive = difficult, would ignore the opinions of more mathematically-inclined students.

Well the perception of increased difficulty is dependent on an individual's mastery in each sub-topic. If I am familiar with lac operons, but not with immune responses, and if the exam had many questions on immune responses, I would think that the test was difficult. It's hard to objectively compare how difficult a real test was compared to the AAMC ones unless the same topics (immune response vs immune response) show up.

Similarly, some students may be good with calculation-intensive questions, while others may be not. To say that calculation-intensive = difficult, would ignore the opinions of more mathematically-inclined students.

Oh no doubt some tests play to your strengths and some do not. I only think the bio was harder because 2 of the discretes were not anywhere in the books from the 3 prep companies I checked when I got home (or in wikipremed videos). Having been out of school for a while I had to rely on the prep companies giving an accurate presentation of the material, which worked for the most part but not for a few of those bio questions. Didn't encounter that on ANY of the practice tests.

sorry guys- really, don't panic- those one or two problems that throw you for a loop are really not going to hurt your score as long as you don't let them distract you. I don't mean to freak people out, I think I just had some bad luck. I'm sure when scores come out most of us will be laughing at our post-test panic.

Oh no doubt some tests play to your strengths and some do not. I only think the bio was harder because 2 of the discretes were not anywhere in the books from the 3 prep companies I checked when I got home (or in wikipremed videos). Having been out of school for a while I had to rely on the prep companies giving an accurate presentation of the material, which worked for the most part but not for a few of those bio questions. Didn't encounter that on ANY of the practice tests.

Oh, I see, that indeed is unusual. I hope the best for you!

what were these rogue passages about?

The passages were hard in the fact that they didn't really require much background knowledge. Most of the answers could be found within the passage because they were based on data from experiments etc. The discretes were weird though.

anyone notice the bird question in PS was identical to one asked by berkeley review?

That was a easy question... The few I confidently answered in the ps section lol

i am sure you guys all did fine. I alot of the early MCAT takers were surprised (in a good way) with their marks.

Keep the faith :)

I am taking mine in june21..and now i am second guessing myself with this post..but i just want to be done with it.

Question: did anyone have computer problems..how does it work when your computer acts up? DOes the time stop or is it still rolling?

Thanks you in advance

i am sure you guys all did fine. I alot of the early MCAT takers were surprised (in a good way) with their marks.

Keep the faith :)

I am taking mine in june21..and now i am second guessing myself with this post..but i just want to be done with it.

Question: did anyone have computer problems..how does it work when your computer acts up? DOes the time stop or is it still rolling?

Thanks you in advance

Computer problem is kinda test center-specific. My center had new and very fast computers. Every time I clicked "Next" the screen turned to new page immediately. One thing I suggest you do is searching on yelp to see what people say about your center.

anyone notice the bird question in PS was identical to one asked by berkeley review?

I was uncomfortable with that question. I ended up having to pick between two possible answer and switched answers in the last minute. I hope I got it right.

:thumbup:

So I agree with an earlier poster's point about the added stress factor making the exam seem harder than it actually was. But once I got over that, I felt pretty good.

My issue was that my computer froze with 1 min 49 seconds left on bio! Luckily I finished all of the questions and was simply reviewing, but the proctor wasn't able to reload my computer. My main concerns are 1)Whether all of my answers were saved as I wanted them and 2)Whether my completed exam was submitted for scoring!

I've called just about every available outlet and spoken to just about everyone I can at this point and they're all telling me that everything was sent properly. AAMC also suggested I file a report for consideration. Anyone else experience something similar or know anyone that has? This whole situation just has me stressed because I didn't study 4 months just for technical problems to jeopardize my shot at a top med school. Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks, all!

There's not really much point to these threads, statistics were already done - there's a bell curve that most people score within +/- 2 points of their AAMC average.

So I agree with an earlier poster's point about the added stress factor making the exam seem harder than it actually was. But once I got over that, I felt pretty good.

My issue was that my computer froze with 1 min 49 seconds left on bio! Luckily I finished all of the questions and was simply reviewing, but the proctor wasn't able to reload my computer. My main concerns are 1)Whether all of my answers were saved as I wanted them and 2)Whether my completed exam was submitted for scoring!

I've called just about every available outlet and spoken to just about everyone I can at this point and they're all telling me that everything was sent properly. AAMC also suggested I file a report for consideration. Anyone else experience something similar or know anyone that has? This whole situation just has me stressed because I didn't study 4 months just for technical problems to jeopardize my shot at a top med school. Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks, all!

This is what i was talking about...there seems to the odd person always having computer problems..what would have happened your computer broke down during PS section and the proctor are not technical people so they most likely wont be able to reload your PC..and lets say all the PC are taken up...do you just wait until your PC starts working again or do they sent you home??

I am only asking this because i havent written my exam yet.

p,s hope everything will go well for you!!!

Thanks, cdn! I'm optimistic that they will. The proctors all reassured me that every answer is saved the moment you select it and that exams are submitted as a default. I will be connecting with the AAMC Wednesday to confirm that the test has been received. Computer problems are common so I'm sure someone had a bit of foresight as to how to deal with them. I'm just hoping that my case isn't the one exception. Anyhow, happy studying and good luck on your exam!

Thanks, cdn! I'm optimistic that they will. The proctors all reassured me that every answer is saved the moment you select it and that exams are submitted as a default. I will be connecting with the AAMC Wednesday to confirm that the test has been received. Computer problems are common so I'm sure someone had a bit of foresight as to how to deal with them. I'm just hoping that my case isn't the one exception. Anyhow, happy studying and good luck on your exam!

So, as soon as you click on the answer choice, it is immediately saved right ? Is individual answer sent to AAMC every time it is clicked on or all the answers for the entire test are sent to AAMC all at once at the end of the test ? I was running out of time on one of the section, and just a few seconds after I clicked on the answer choice of the last question, the timer was up and the window "you ran out of time" popped up and the screen turned to the BREAK page. My problem is not as severe as yours, but I've been paranoid if that last answer was saved before the timer went out or not. That's why I'm asking.

So, as soon as you click on the answer choice, it is immediately saved right ? Is individual answer sent to AAMC every time it is clicked on or all the answers for the entire test are sent to AAMC all at once at the end of the test ? I was running out of time on one of the section, and just a few seconds after I clicked on the answer choice of the last question, the timer was up and the window "you ran out of time" popped up and the screen turned to the BREAK page. My problem is not as severe as yours, but I've been paranoid if that last answer was saved before the timer went out or not. That's why I'm asking.

I believe it's saved after every individual answer. Your situation did not happen to me during my actual exam, but has happened several times during practice AAMCs, and the correct response had been saved. I think you're fine!

Just got off of the phone with the AAMC. They confirmed that my name was not on the void report and that all of my answers up until the point that the computer froze were saved. Thus, the exam will be scored as I intended. Crisis averted! Good luck to all!