Realistic chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bnmakr1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to graduate with my Bachelors in Nursing and was going to take the MCAT soon. My GPA sucks and my practice MCAT scores are mid to upper 20's.
I am going to finish with a 2.5 cGPA and a 2.8 sGPA.
I currently have over 1500 hours as a patient care tech and 2000 hours as a psychiatric nurse.
Do I realistically have a chance at the big four? What other Caribbean Med Schools should I apply to that are accredited in FL, NY, NJ?

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to graduate with my Bachelors in Nursing and was going to take the MCAT soon. My GPA sucks and my practice MCAT scores are mid to upper 20's.
I currently have over 1500 hours as a patient care tech and 2000 hours as a psychiatric nurse.
Do I realistically have a chance at the big four? What other Caribbean Med Schools should I apply to that are accredited in FL, NY, NJ?

Did your grades improve towards the end of undergrad? Because if not I'm not sure you are a great candidate for medical school right now. A 2.5 cGPA is very questionable.

Keep in mind that you have to take the USMLE Step 1 just 2 years into medical school, which, from what I hear, is one of the hardest exams on the planet.

I think that if you began terrible but had a GPA greater than 3.2 over the last two years that you greatly improve your chances for the big 4.

I would personally recommend working your ass for a year or two in a post-bach or master's program and then apply to US med school. The door is slowly but surely closing for international medical school graduates in the US.

My first two years of school were horrible. I have my reasons but I'm not going to go into that. I took two years off and I've had around a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA. It's been pretty stable since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first two years of school were horrible. I have my reasons but I'm not going to go into that. I took two years off and I've had around a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA. It's been pretty stable since then.

Well, SGU is the most difficult of the Big four to get into and its average stats are 3.3 cGPA and 26 MCAT.

If you can score a 30 on the MCAT I think you would be able to get into any of the 4 as it would outweigh your GPA. Keep in mind the other Carib schools such as AUC, Ross, and SABA have slightly lesser statistics. So you may be able to get into the them with a lesser MCAT.

Did your grades improve towards the end of undergrad? Because if not I'm not sure you are a great candidate for medical school right now. A 2.5 cGPA is very questionable.

Keep in mind that you have to take the USMLE Step 1 just 2 years into medical school, which, from what I hear, is one of the hardest exams on the planet.

I think that if you began terrible but had a GPA greater than 3.2 over the last two years that you greatly improve your chances for the big 4.

I would personally recommend working your ass for a year or two in a post-bach or master's program and then apply to US med school. The door is slowly but surely closing for international medical school graduates in the US.

Recommendations are based on experience. I respect your recommendations but question them as well, b/c as a pre-med student you're a tad biased, IMHO :)

The USMLE is not the hardest exam on the planet. I actually found it easier than the MCAT, b/c it was more focused on the subject of medicine than all around sciences. Also, if you study for it properly, you are guaranteed 99's, IMHO...

I don't think anyone should look at schools other than the big 4, not a good idea at all.

I think you should work on improving ur stats, I've seen ppl get into medschool in Canada (i'm CDN) after 2-3 years by working up their application, i'm sure in the US you could decrease this time to 1-2 b/c there are more med schools.

Consider an MPH. Apply to DO schools. If you want it, you need to work for it.

FYI: I'm a CDN who went to the big 4 carib-med school, with 3 pre-match offers. I'll be starting in July at my #1 place, so ECSTATIC!!!

Consider completing a Post Bac program. Don't give up the dream.

Good Luck.

Do a post bac... try to get your cGPA to a 2.8 as well. If you do that and score 28+ in the mcat, I think you will have a decent chance for AUC,ROSS and SABA. For St Georges I believe that your chances will be very slim with these subpar GPAs. For US, you will need a 3.0 sGPA, cGPA and 30+ mcat to have a chance at some DO schools. It can be done if you want it bad enough. Good luck...