Realistic expectations - low undergrad, high post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

West246

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through the forums and there seems to be a dark outlook for nontrads with low UG gpa's. I hoping to get some input on my own situation. I'll be brief and to the point.

- 26 years old
- Started college arrogant and with no realistic goals
- After four years, I had a 1.88 cumulative and left college
- Worked, opened a business, grew the business to a profitable company
- During this time, I matured, knew I had to finish my UG, and reapplied to Univ
- Finished UG with a institution GPA of 3.3, a final 30 hours GPA of 3.71, and a cumulative GPA of 2.23

- I learned I didn't really enjoy the line I work I was in (it wasn't what I had hoped) and began to transition away from it
- Sold the company, applied to an academically-focused university, moved, and retook all my prereqs
- Took 40 hours (chem, bio, ochem, biochem, phys, stat) and will finish with a 3.82 in these
- I have done over 380 hours of volunteer and shadowing
- 516 MCAT (phys: 128, cars: 128, b/b: 131, psych: 129)

Do I have a realistic chance for making it into a MD school? What else should I focus on to help my application? I'm open to all comments and suggestions :) !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been reading through the forums and there seems to be a dark outlook for nontrads with low UG gpa's. I hoping to get some input on my own situation. I'll be brief and to the point.

- 26 years old
- During this time, I matured, knew I had to finish my UG, and reapplied to Univ
- Finished UG with a institution GPA of 3.3, a final 30 hours GPA of 3.71, and a cumulative GPA of 2.23

- I learned I didn't really enjoy the line I work I was in (it wasn't what I had hoped) and began to transition away from it
- Sold the company, applied to an academically-focused university, moved, and retook all my prereqs
- Took 40 hours (chem, bio, ochem, biochem, phys, stat) and will finish with a 3.82 in these

Do I have a realistic chance for making it into a MD school? What else should I focus on to help my application? I'm open to all comments and suggestions :) !
What is your sCGPA and CGPA?

What is your sCGPA and CGPA?

CGPA: 2.54 (post bacc + all undergrad)
SGPA: 3.17 (post bacc + non major sciences + ug sciences) 2.97 (post bacc + ug sciences without non major sciences)
*I didn't use post bacc grades to replace UG grades. I'm not sure if it matters*

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can avoid an autoscreen, there are indeed MD schools (and ALL DO) that reward reinvention. Have your state MD school at the top of the list!

- 26 years old

If you can avoid an autoscreen, there are indeed MD schools (and ALL DO) that reward reinvention. Have your state MD school at the top of the list!

What is an "autoscreen"?

I live in Texas, so there are a few MD schools here.

What is an "autoscreen"?

I live in Texas, so there are a few MD schools here.
Autoscreen is exactly what it sounds like . It automatically screens out applicants below certain thresholds. It is unfortunate that AMCAS does not do grade replacement. Some MD schools may bite however it looks difficult to see a path on paper. DO schools will likely be open to your candidacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Autoscreen is exactly what it sounds like . It automatically screens out applicants below certain thresholds. It is unfortunate that AMCAS does not do grade replacement. Some MD schools may bite however it looks difficult to see a path on paper. DO schools will likely be open to your candidacy.

I see. That's certainly discouraging to hear.

- Would it be beneficial to take another year or half-year of UG courses (to boost my gpa)?
- Would UG research experience help? My university has a program that allows students 12 hours of research with mentorship.

I see. That's certainly discouraging to hear.

- Would it be beneficial to take another year or half-year of UG courses (to boost my gpa)?
- Would UG research experience help? My university has a program that allows students 12 hours of research with mentorship.
I don't believe that ecs will make up for a lethal gpa. If it is possible to get your GPa to greater than 3.3 a compelling case can be made. I would opt for the DO route. It is a great opportunity to practice medicine with all the rights and privileges that come with it. Maybe some of the experienced adcoms can comment on your MD prospects. But sub 3 gpas are almost always lethal for md candidacy. I heard on the board that there was some sort of grade forgiveness in Texas none the less but I don't know the specifics. might be a certain school. Perhaps call the schools you are interested in and speak with them about your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Another thing to take into account is the shelf life of an mcat. The clock starts ticking as soon as you take it. Your GPA repair efforts may take Soo long that your excellent mcat may expire. Another option is trying to get into a linked smp program that is attached to a medical school. Some of them have spots in their own me programs for satisfactory performers. Good luck.

I don't believe that ecs will make up for a lethal gpa. If it is possible to get your GPa to greater than 3.3 a compelling case can be made. I would opt for the DO route. It is a great opportunity to practice medicine with all the rights and privileges that come with it. Maybe some of the experienced adcoms can comment on your MD prospects. But sub 3 gpas are almost always lethal for md candidacy. I heard on the board that there was some sort of grade forgiveness in Texas none the less but I don't know the specifics. might be a certain school. Perhaps call the schools you are interested in and speak with them about your situation.

Thanks for the responses, libertyyne. There is no realistic way for me to pull myself up to a 3.3 (as is, in order to bring myself to a 3.0 would require nearly 260 more hours holding a 3.9avg). My past poor academic performance is just too "heavy" and it kills my gpa.

I'm not against the DO route -- some of the best doctors I have gotten to know were DOs. That said, reading through the forums paints a rather bleak outlook on obtaining residency matches. Not impossible, just a lot of work down the line. The saying "work hard now or work hard later" is really hitting me now. I will certainly be calling schools to see what they have to say. Q: Should I be selective in who I call? (ie would it be a waste of time to call UTSW, Baylor, ect)

As suggested above, I'll roll my dice and put the state schools as my top choices. If an MD program bites, I'll worry about choosing between DO or MD (not trying to start any kind of debate on DO v MD!) then.

The option for research is there, but if it doesn't do be any good (other than cost $$) then I should just keep the path I'm on. thanks for the heads up on the MCAT expiration date; I still have roughly a year, but its something to keep in my thoughts.

Texas does have the Fresh Start program! Which is a fantastic program imo. But, unfortunately, I don't qualify. The courses for Fresh Start need to be 10+ years old, from my understanding.

There's nothing wrong with a DO program.. I get the issues with the match but if you take care of business in med school you'll be fine and a lot of DO programs have excellent residencys.

I think you have a good chance at a DO school given your MCAT and upward trend.

If you can avoid an autoscreen, there are indeed MD schools that reward reinvention

Someone was telling me today that almost none of the MD schools autoscreen now a days. How would the school mention in their admissions page that they do not autoscreen? Do they mention on MSAR that they do/do not autoscreen?
On top of my head I can think of Drexel, NYMC, Case, and Tufts as MD schools that reward reinvention and/or upward trend. Which are some other ones @Goro ?

Don't know and don't know.
Someone was telling me today that almost none of the MD schools autoscreen now a days. How would the school mention in their admissions page that they do not autoscreen? Do they mention on MSAR that they do/do not autoscreen?

Wayne State
UCSF
Vandy
Pitt
Mayo
BU
Tulane
U Miami
Duke
Gtown
GWU
Rosy Franklin
Other low tier schools
State MD schools
ALL DO schools

On top of my head I can think of Drexel, NYMC, Case, and Tufts as MD schools that reward reinvention and/or upward trend. Which are some other ones @Goro ?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the responses, libertyyne. There is no realistic way for me to pull myself up to a 3.3 (as is, in order to bring myself to a 3.0 would require nearly 260 more hours holding a 3.9avg). My past poor academic performance is just too "heavy" and it kills my gpa.

I'm not against the DO route -- some of the best doctors I have gotten to know were DOs. That said, reading through the forums paints a rather bleak outlook on obtaining residency matches. Not impossible, just a lot of work down the line. The saying "work hard now or work hard later" is really hitting me now. I will certainly be calling schools to see what they have to say. Q: Should I be selective in who I call? (ie would it be a waste of time to call UTSW, Baylor, ect)

As suggested above, I'll roll my dice and put the state schools as my top choices. If an MD program bites, I'll worry about choosing between DO or MD (not trying to start any kind of debate on DO v MD!) then.

The option for research is there, but if it doesn't do be any good (other than cost $$) then I should just keep the path I'm on. thanks for the heads up on the MCAT expiration date; I still have roughly a year, but its something to keep in my thoughts.

Texas does have the Fresh Start program! Which is a fantastic program imo. But, unfortunately, I don't qualify. The courses for Fresh Start need to be 10+ years old, from my understanding.

The DO struggle for residency isn't a complete myth, but it is greatly exaggerated on SDN. I've mentioned before that I know several dozen DOs who matched into surgery, urology, ENT, etc. The only surgical subspecialties I don't know any DOs in are neurosurgery and cardiac (I'm sure they exist though). I've worked with DO urologists, general surgeons, vascular surgeons, plastic surgeons, ENTs, orthopods, and ophthalmologists.

You can match into competitive specialties as a DO. You just have to take care of business and be flexible.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey West246,

Don't let these comments get you down. Getting into medical school is hard regardless of GPA or MCAT. Seriously check out https://supermommd.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/acceptance-rates-gpa-vs-mcat.pdf out of all the applicants they get only something like 42.3% of applicants got acceptance.

I am in a similar predicament as yours and I understand the struggle. But this site will definitely get you down on yourself even though most of these people have the best intentions, its just not what you need to hear. I say go ahead and apply there is no harm in it you may be pleasantly surprised. As a back up plan I would also apply to a couple of SMP/postbac programs which are linked to medical schools. Maybe even try some European or Canadian Schools.

Don't even think about Caribbean schools, while there are some success stories I've also heard some horror stories. DO would be a better option over Caribbean in my opinion.

I understand your concern with DO schools and rightly so as a society we have not overcome the stigma of them not being as good as MDs and could hurt your opportunities in the future but then again who is to say we won't get over that stigma in the 4 years it takes you to graduate from medical school.

If you want it you can do it.

Best of luck,

Cristina,

Blog: supermommd.org

Take Goro's advice and apply broadly.

The problem with all of the anecdotes is that they're incomplete. (With that grain of salt as a rub...I lived in Philly and knew two Asians (Indians) with seriously eh MCATs matriculating at Drexel, the fact that they didn't even give HopefulPostbacc a waitlist sniff suggest some sort of flag.)

Other than time and money you have nothing to lose by applying...and you'll lose both of those anyway if you spend even more time on GPA repair.

Apply...and make sure to let us know how it turns out...at least for the anecdote.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile