Realistic GI salary range-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow ninjas,

Can anyone give me a realistic sense of offers?

Private Practice: (Bumble vs Metropolitan)

Academic:

Thank you so very very much for your help.

Sincerely,
billybud

Members don't see this ad.

or just PM me if you are shy.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, GI is paying out around 250,000 - $300,000 to start in a busy private practice with bonuses and increased pay to follow. I know some GI docs who are routinely making $600,000 +. The problem with GI grads these days is that some of them are not proficient in procedures like they should be for a busy practice, and the private practice guys don't have the patience or time to teach someone they're paying lots of money to cover call and do procedures they should have learned during fellowship. I heard of one guy who was graduating from a very presitigious Ivy league program who had never done an ERCP--not one! That's crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
. I heard of one guy who was graduating from a very presitigious Ivy league program who had never done an ERCP--not one! That's crazy.

No it isn't. ERCP is an advanced procedure. Prior to the advent of MRCP and EUS, dx ERCP was the norm. In that environment, there were plenty of cases to go around. Nowadays, there are fewer and they are all therapeutic. You have to do several hundred ERCPs to be proficient. Most GI fellowships have given up on training all their fellows in ERCP. Some allow certain fellows to train, but many require a "fourth year" to do advanced procedures.

There are programs where ERCP is still available during F2-3 but I know one fellow who chose his fellowship based on this, only to have a fourth year program started when he was an F2 and...bye bye ERCP.

If you aren't going to get proficient, why bother doing any.